#3222066, By username New Zealand tips and the Heaphy Track

• username 17 Apr 2008 11:19:45 848 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    TakeTheVeil wrote:
    @ username: Couple of questions about Hopewell. What did you get up to while you stayed? Did you do the golfing for example.

Was there much interaction between the different cabins and such? If so, what was the general age of the folks staying there, we're all between 21-24.

Did you drive there or catch a bus/boat whatever? None of us drive so we'll have to find some other way.
    We'd already spent 4 months travelling by the time we reached Hopewell so we did as little as possible! We took the free kayaks out a couple of times, played a lot of cards, met some interesting people, read books and sat in the jacuzzi. As far as I can remember, everyone that was there was roughly between 20 and 30 and there's a separate cabin with a really nice lounge in so we spent most evenings in there listening to the stereo and chatting/playing cards with people.

We drove there and it took about 2 hours of driving along a gravel track after leaving the main road - they're not kidding when they say it's secluded. Mike, the owner, will pick you up in his boat from a town on the other side of the Sound if you ask when you book.

One night we were there they went and picked a load of mussels, steamed them all and invited all the guests over for free food :)

We arrived in Christchurch at the end of March and drove south through Lake Tekapo, Oamaru, Dunedin, Owaka to Invercargill and the north through Te Anau (with a night on Doubtful Sound), Queenstown, Wanaka, past the glaciers, Punakaiki, Takaka and Nelson before spending some time at Hopewell and then heading to the North Island at the end of April. The weather was pretty good most of the time but it did get quite cold in some places.

I thought Queenstown was alright but it was a bit too much like a Pepsi Max advert for my liking. The [link=http://www.skyline.co.nz/queenstown/luge/">luge was