#12337436, By Rodney Post Poll... Britain decided to...

• Rodney 16 Nov 2018 09:24:56 3,677 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:
    Rodney wrote:
    My family (even the "apolitical" JW ones) keep trotting out the "remainers predicted economic melt down following the referendum and it never happened" line.

I tell them that just because some predictions were wrong it doesn't mean all predictions are invalid, and the actual impacts of brexits have yet to hit, but I'm kind of aware how unconvincing I am.

Ultimately a persuasive falsehood can be captured in a single sentence, but understanding why it's wrong takes actual knowledge and understanding that doesn't come so easy.
    To they take well to being reminded that that line is bullshit because Brexit hasn't actually happened yet?
    No because all predictions, in their mind, are conflated with the predictions that were proven false and therefore any prediction showing next in a bad light is inherently unreliable.

And they are largely informed of what those unreliable predictions were by memes spread on Facebook. They can't really give specific examples but buy into the narrative. Hard to argue against

Edited by Rodney at 09:28:48 16-11-2018