#2322007, By mankell Death is inevitable

  • mankell 5 Jun 2007 16:39:41 718 posts
    Seen 8 years ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    qwerty - these are your options-

    The steps you can take

    1. Contact the retailer's head office: You won't get any joy from youthful shop staff or call centres. Be firm and explain you think your product hasn't lasted a reasonable amount time. You want it to be investigated and repaired, or replaced if it turns out to be faulty.

    2. Get an independent report: A major retailer is likely to have its own repairs centre or an arrangement with the manufacturer, but this may result in sky-high call out charges. Contact an independent repairer and ask it to produce a report. Most of the independents we contacted charged between 30 and 40 to visit and many would write a short report as part of the cost. You can claim back up to 200 for the costs of the repairer's bill.

    3. Commission a repair: Ask the retailer to repair or replace the goods. If the repair cost is disproportionate the retailer can offer a refund of the original purchase price, though probably not a full refund. If the shop makes life difficult you can ask go to an independent repairer and reclaim the whole cost. Make sure they provide evidence of the fault.

    4. Be prepared to battle: The company could refuse to refund the repair cost, leaving you to chase them through the small claims court. A judge can order the retailer to settle the claim - up to 5,000 - and pay legal costs. For information on taking a case to the small claims court, read our guide published last week (guardian.co.uk/money). Consumer Direct is the government's new online and telephone advice line. Call an adviser on 08454 04 05 06.

    Sound advice I think which came from you on the 2nd March :)
Log in or register to reply