'Random news articles that don't warrant their own threads' thread. Page 288

• elstoof 9 May 2019 10:48:10 23,212 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    How does a football show host, a millwall fan at that, not know that ďmonkeyĒ is a common racial slur
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 9 May 2019 10:50:24 19,802 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Obviously he knows that monkey is a racial slur but I can see him posting that picture without thinking about that side of it. He's a fucking idiot.
  • Graxlar_v3 9 May 2019 10:50:59 6,750 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Decks wrote:
    Yeah was just reading that. Here's the photo, I can kind of see him doing it without thinking about the racist undertones to be honest. He's a fucking dick but I can't see him knowingly making a racist joke like that.

You would have to ask why he chose this royal baby to make that 'joke' though.
  • JamboWayOh 9 May 2019 10:54:37 13,225 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    His apology is an apology with some victim status thrown in.

ďOnce again. Sincere apologies for the stupid unthinking gag pic earlier. Was supposed to be joke about royals vs circus animals in posh clothes but interpreted as about monkeys & race, so rightly deleted. Royal watching not my forte. Also, guessing it was my turn in the barrel.Ē

Oh and he's just been sacked. Idiot.
  • RevolvingKenneth 9 May 2019 10:55:09 17 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    It's a chimp in that picture, not a monkey.

The Twitter outrage maelstrom claims another victim.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 9 May 2019 10:55:33 19,802 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    You've also got to ask why he would knowingly destroy his own career for a shit joke. I think the most likely scenario is someones whatsapp it to him (knowing it's a racist joke), he's thought "ha that's a funny picture" and put it on his Twitter and then he's realised what he's done soon after.
  • JamboWayOh 9 May 2019 10:57:53 13,225 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Decks wrote:
    You've also got to ask why he would knowingly destroy his own career for a shit joke. I think the most likely scenario is someones whatsapp it to him (knowing it's a racist joke), he's thought "ha that's a funny picture" and put it on his Twitter and then he's realised what he's done soon after.
    Pretty much this. I love his supporters saying they didn't see anything racist in it, their one link: they're all white
  • elstoof 9 May 2019 11:00:30 23,212 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Yeah most likely, but that doesnít really excuse it. Itís quite clearly racist and you donít need to be clever to figure out why. If I went to a match and someone handed me a banana to throw with the rest of the lads Iím pretty sure Iíd figure out what I was doing before itís too late. That well known ďroyals vs circus animals in suitsĒ trope though, thatís one weíre all familiar with, right?
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 9 May 2019 11:02:58 19,802 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Yeah I'm not excusing him, he's pretty high on my list of "celebrities I'd like to set fire to" but yeah I just can't see him doing it knowingly. Again, he really is a fucking idiot.
  • JamboWayOh 9 May 2019 11:05:01 13,225 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    Yeah most likely, but that doesnít really excuse it. Itís quite clearly racist and you donít need to be clever to figure out why. If I went to a match and someone handed me a banana to throw with the rest of the lads Iím pretty sure Iíd figure out what I was doing before itís too late. That well known ďroyals vs circus animals in suitsĒ trope though, thatís one weíre all familiar with, right?
    I'm sure Prince Phillip loved it.
  • X201 9 May 2019 11:11:59 19,223 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    RevolvingKenneth wrote:
    It's a chimp in that picture, not a monkey.

The Twitter outrage maelstrom claims another victim.
    Read something this morning, 80% of all Tweets in the US, come from just 10% of the users.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 9 May 2019 11:12:48 5,836 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    This is the man who gave the world the Daz Doorstep Challenge. After that, nothing should surprise us.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 9 May 2019 11:14:17 15,757 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Itís one of those where he obviously didnít realise he was being racist, but then you kind of have to ask why he didnít realise he was being racist.
  • KRadiation 9 May 2019 11:16:08 1,423 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    not news but off the back of them announcing the babys name. I noticed the double barrel surname and thought...

what happens if someone with a double barrelled surname marries someone else with a double barrel ? do they go quad barrel ?
  • TechnoHippy 9 May 2019 11:17:06 15,038 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    JamboWayOh wrote:

I'm sure Prince Phillip loved it.
    That's probably a good standard to judge how offensive something is likely to be - Will Prince Phillip find it funny?
  • JamboWayOh 9 May 2019 11:18:47 13,225 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    You-can-call-me-kal wrote:
    Itís one of those where he obviously didnít realise he was being racist, but then you kind of have to ask why he didnít realise he was being racist.
    He doesn't see colour Kal. You're the racist for thinking his harmless picture representing that popular trope of the royal family being compared to a circus animal was racist.
  • Trowel 9 May 2019 11:19:00 22,539 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I've followed him for long enough to understand how it could have been unintentional - he used to have a feature about chimpanzees dressed as celebrities, and he throws old stock photos areound very much like those shite birthday cards - but he's an idiot not to know beforehand.

Definitely red sauce BTW.
  • mothercruncher 9 May 2019 11:20:24 16,216 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Everyone knows- you never go full quad barrel. Just adopt the other personís name, Shirley.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 9 May 2019 11:21:32 19,802 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    There's two ways of looking at that though isn't there? Like if her race hadn't even entered his head that's a good thing isn't it?
  • Joyless_Man 9 May 2019 11:22:44 237 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    Trowel wrote:
    I've followed him for long enough
    Why? Do you actually like him?

I like 5 live especially on a weekend with all the sport but as soon as I hear his voice it makes me want to drive into a wall.
  • KRadiation 9 May 2019 11:25:51 1,423 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @mothercruncher
    which name of the 4 is it ?
  • JamboWayOh 9 May 2019 11:26:21 13,225 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Decks wrote:
    There's two ways of looking at that though isn't there? Like if her race hadn't even entered his head that's a good thing isn't it?
    There are two ways to look at it yeah, but they all come back to his sheer unrelenting ignorance and privilege on not even for 1 minute taking a step back and just thinking about the situation. His further tweets on the subject solidify that entirely.

Edited by JamboWayOh at 11:27:51 09-05-2019
  • elstoof 9 May 2019 11:28:47 23,212 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    KRadiation wrote:
    not news but off the back of them announcing the babys name. I noticed the double barrel surname and thought...

what happens if someone with a double barrelled surname marries someone else with a double barrel ? do they go quad barrel ?
    Iím one of those double barrel cunts, and yeah you could go quad if you wanted. Usually keep the last 2 or 3 hyphenated and add as many as you want in the middle though
  • Joyless_Man 9 May 2019 11:30:48 237 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    I didn't realise he had actually been sacked. What a tit.

Bang out of order to be posting that. Especially risky when your employer is also the PR wing of the royal family.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 9 May 2019 11:33:06 15,757 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Decks wrote:
    Yeah, I can see that.
  • up_the_ante 9 May 2019 11:34:49 1,030 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Iím no Danny Baker fan but I do feel for him here. Itís someone without a ďdiseased mindĒ that doesnít detect racist connotations that gets sacked for being racist
  • Trowel 9 May 2019 11:36:51 22,539 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    The source of the photo is interesting, given the case (though not of course justifying his use out of context): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scopes_Trial
  • Fake_Blood 9 May 2019 11:38:10 9,503 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Decks wrote:
    Yeah, I can see that.
    Maybe itís me, but up until now I did not know that your duchess of sussex was of mixed race. Also pretty amazing that itís literally the second thing they mention on her wiki page.
  • Dougs 9 May 2019 11:42:04 89,219 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    What a monumental bell-end. I can easily believe that he wasn't deliberately being racist but that doesn't excuse it and it's right that it's cost him his job.
  • JamboWayOh 9 May 2019 11:44:22 13,225 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    It's amazing how many people with high profile jobs forget that their twitter account can get them fired.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.