'Random news articles that don't warrant their own threads' thread. Page 289

• You-can-call-me-kal 9 May 2019 11:44:38 16,819 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I can’t be the only one that is much more aware of the need for more considered and measured interactions and responses in these more ‘woke’ times. That’s not a moan. I think it’s a good thing.

It just surprises me that if we’re all reflecting more on our own behaviour and adjusting accordingly, how can public figures (where this is x1000 more important) not do the same?

I suppose I’m saying I’m not completely sure it matters what his intent here is. I get that it’s a high price to pay for an ‘innocent’ fuck up. But there is a young black woman who is being racistly attacked to a considerable degree, and whether intentional or not, he has just contributed to that problem. As someone who holds sway as an influencer, he should perhaps pay a penalty for that. Regardless of intent. And our sympathies should be with the victim.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 9 May 2019 11:45:14 16,819 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Or what Dougs said in a less waffly way.
  • Graxlar_v3 9 May 2019 11:45:27 7,751 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    There needs to be a zero tolerance for anything like this. I hope that the people who have been retweeting it and posting it all over facebook get called into their boss too.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 9 May 2019 11:47:54 6,374 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    The moral of this story is, once again, "Stay the fuck off twitter". It's the most efficient career-destruction tool ever devised. Kal's point above about how we all think a bit more carefully about what we say these days is a fair one, but on twitter, the gap between "inside your brain" and "broadcast across the entire world" is so thin that a careless thought easily can destroy you.
  • Fake_Blood 9 May 2019 11:54:25 9,684 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Imo there should be some kind of redemption possible. If it was a criminal offence you’d get jail time and after people would say he fucked up but he did his time. These days something can end your career and there is 0 chance people will forget about it.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 9 May 2019 12:00:05 20,741 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Although any punishment Danny Baker receives will pale in comparison to the pain his very existence has caused me over the years.
  • Trowel 9 May 2019 12:00:25 22,650 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Fake_Blood wrote:
    Imo there should be some kind of redemption possible. If it was a criminal offence you’d get jail time and after people would say he fucked up but he did his time. These days something can end your career and there is 0 chance people will forget about it.
    There's already a place for waifs and strays called talkSport.
  • Joyless_Man 9 May 2019 12:01:08 276 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    Decks wrote:
    Although any punishment Danny Baker receives will pale in comparison to the pain his very existence has caused me over the years.
    Innit. I'd rather he didn't do a racism but the fact I can listen to 5 live all morning on a Saturday now is a blessing.

But yeah I imagine he will be on TalkSport within the month.

Edited by Joyless_Man at 12:01:43 09-05-2019
  • challenge_hanukkah 9 May 2019 12:02:26 11,157 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Fake_Blood wrote:
    Being Danny Baker is punishment enough.
  • elstoof 9 May 2019 12:08:02 23,968 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Fake_Blood wrote:
    Just become an mp and you can talk about watermelon smiles and funny tinges all you like
  • SnackPlissken 9 May 2019 12:17:01 1,141 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    It all just reads perfect for that Jon Ronson book So You've been Publicly Shamed.
  • Deleted user 9 May 2019 12:29:53
    Its sad but it took me 10 mins to work out why that picture was racist because I had completely forgotten Meghan was as some MPs would put it "a funny tinge".

With her being a princess and royal my mind just thinks horse faced pony fuckers.

Am I woke as fuck or stupid. I would put my money on the latter.
  • Psychotext 9 May 2019 12:38:37 65,469 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I think you'd have to be pretty isolated / clueless on either side of the pond to have missed the "Ooh, isn't she a bit exotic to be a royal?" thing.

Even I picked up on it, and I'm spectacularly out of touch.
  • JamboWayOh 9 May 2019 12:38:53 14,771 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Rogueywon wrote:
    The moral of this story is, once again, "Stay the fuck off twitter". It's the most efficient career-destruction tool ever devised. Kal's point above about how we all think a bit more carefully about what we say these days is a fair one, but on twitter, the gap between "inside your brain" and "broadcast across the entire world" is so thin that a careless thought easily can destroy you.
    Exactly. I think when you're in the public eye you become immune to these kind of restrictive thoughts that stop you from doing something stupid. When you're a pleb you're very aware (sometimes) that your contract states anything compromising on your social media can terminate your contract.
  • nickthegun 9 May 2019 12:46:09 78,566 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    He's gone full Clarkson, laying the blame at the feet of the spineless BBC rather than taking any accountability himself. It's such a classic 'sorry you were offended' white guy apology.

And, yes, it's one thing to be racist by 'accident', it's entirely another to bury your head in the sand and not admit 'yeah, that doesn't look great'.
  • RichDC 9 May 2019 12:48:44 8,463 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @nickthegun I don't think that's what he's doing. Gave an interview on LBC about an hour ago where he fully accepted that the tweet was wrong, understanding the reasons why and agreed that the BBC had to sack him. His issue with the BBC was the manner in which he was sacked.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 9 May 2019 12:49:11 6,374 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @JamboWayOh Except I've known perfectly ordinary people also balls up their lives on social media. One of the PAs here managed to get herself fired after she spectacularly crossed the line in the run up to the 2017 election on twitter (didn't help that she named her employer in her bio).
  • JamboWayOh 9 May 2019 12:50:02 14,771 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    He's gone full Clarkson, laying the blame at the feet of the spineless BBC rather than taking any accountability himself. It's such a classic 'sorry you were offended' white guy apology.

And, yes, it's one thing to be racist by 'accident', it's entirely another to bury your head in the sand and not admit 'yeah, that doesn't look great'.
    Yep such a cock. He even said they threw him under the bus and ended his tweet with a #fuckem.
  • nickthegun 9 May 2019 12:51:15 78,566 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    RichDC wrote:
    @nickthegun I don't think that's what he's doing. Gave an interview on LBC about an hour ago where he fully accepted that the tweet was wrong, understanding the reasons why and agreed that the BBC had to sack him. His issue with the BBC was the manner in which he was sacked.
    That's not what the immediate aftermath implied. Maybe his agent sat him down and very slowly explained 'DONT COMPARE BLACK PEOPLE TO CHIMPS, DANNY. ITS BAD'
  • JamboWayOh 9 May 2019 12:52:28 14,771 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @RichDC

He can complain all he wants about the manner in which he was fired but I can guarantee his contract has a no tolerance policy of compromising material on his contract.
  • JamboWayOh 9 May 2019 12:54:08 14,771 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Rogueywon

Well that's the thing I suppose, people forget that FB and twitter are publishing platforms, which is more mind boggling when you consider they're not posting anonymously.
  • RichDC 9 May 2019 12:55:28 8,463 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    He wasn't denying that he had to go. What he has issue with was the BBC very publicly sacking him for racism (which he denies) instead of ignorance and stupidity (which he agrees with).
  • Addy__ 9 May 2019 12:59:35 1,458 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    Someone I know got banned from Twitter for posting that Liverpool fans were the worst human beings on planet earth.

There is no justice in the world.
  • Deleted user 9 May 2019 13:00:51
    JamboWayOh wrote:
    @Rogueywon

Well that's the thing I suppose, people forget that FB and twitter are publishing platforms, which is more mind boggling when you consider they're not posting anonymously.
    The thing is no one thinks they post anything bad on their own account. On the MMQB (Monday Morning Quarter Back) podcast they had an analyst at a digital reputation company on for an interview in the lead up to the NFL draft. Before the show they asked they gave the production crew of the show a survey asking them if they had "adverse reputation material" which could be found on their social media platforms. Most of them replied no. The analysts revealed that he had found on each of their accounts at least five posts which could interpreted as racist, sexist, homophobic, or derogatory of a country or ethnic group and many compromising photographs some going back as far as 2007.
  • nickthegun 9 May 2019 13:11:53 78,566 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    It's interesting. How long are you a stupid kid for? The dude at Leicester did tell a pretty racist joke but he was 'only' 15.

Should they have gone back that far and charged him? At the very least, he almost certainly hadn't had media training yet.
  • Addy__ 9 May 2019 13:21:02 1,458 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    I see people are going mad about Sir Alan's tweet being ignored.
  • RevolvingKenneth 9 May 2019 13:21:19 32 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    RichDC wrote:
    He wasn't denying that he had to go. What he has issue with was the BBC very publicly sacking him for racism (which he denies) instead of ignorance and stupidity (which he agrees with).
    Absolutely the crux of this shambles. Amazing how Alan Sugar managed to keep hold of his role in one of the BBC's flagship shows after his racist tweet during the World Cup last year all things considered.

Oh and the BBC is happy to have Nigel Farage on Question Time yet again tonight.

Pretty clear message there:
    Accidental Racism = Immediate dismissal.
    Deliberate Racism = Important to include in the interest of impartiality.
  • Deleted user 9 May 2019 13:28:11
    Because sir Alan offence was not targeted at a member of the royal family
  • JamboWayOh 9 May 2019 15:29:33 14,771 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    whatfruitlivesagain wrote:
    Because sir Alan offence was not targeted at a member of the royal family
    This, while being employed by the mouthpiece (or ring piece) of the Royal family.
  • up_the_ante 9 May 2019 17:32:11 1,100 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I was on his side until he misused the word literally. He said the BBC “literally threw me under a bus” LITERALLY

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.