Registered 13 years ago
    Iron... Monger more like.
  • X201 21 May 2019 11:56:43 19,285 posts
    Seen 60 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Jamie Oliver restaurant chains face collapse
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-48352026

1,300 jobs at risk, despite what you think of him*

*although the suppliers who got shafted in his last pre-pack administration are warranted a smile.

Edited by X201 at 11:56:54 21-05-2019
  • Jono62 27 May 2019 03:42:24 22,599 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/news/stoke-on-trent-news/stokie-mum-sends-theresa-60-2905911
  • mothercruncher 28 May 2019 13:25:38 16,396 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    PES winning my local cheese rolling event, nice fucking thighs buddy:

https://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/whats-on/cheese-rolling-pictures-winners-action-2910320
  • minky-kong 28 May 2019 14:25:22 14,323 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Jono62 wrote:
    https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/news/stoke-on-trent-news/stokie-mum-sends-theresa-60-2905911
    Why am I not surprised that she has a "I want to speak to your manager" haircut.
  • askew 28 May 2019 14:27:07 19,566 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Then, after learning that the school would also be closed for the European elections, she has taken the drastic decision to permanently remove her child from school and educate her at home instead.
  • Nexus_6 28 May 2019 14:27:09 4,281 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Jono62
    What a fud
  • 2dividedby0 29 May 2019 08:49:20 47 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    15 year old boy has been arrested after a video showing a cat being hit in Portsmouth was shared online. Tens of thousands of people shared the clip showing a boy putting his hand out to a ginger cat on a wall before apparently taking a swipe at its head.

Hampshire Constabulary said: "We're aware of a video on social media which shows a cat being hit in Portsmouth."

"Officers have now arrested Scott Gerrick on suspicion of an offence under the Animal Welfare Act 2006."

What a fucking shit bag of a person. An out and out subhuman.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 2 Jun 2019 08:47:33 6,160 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Multiple sources are reporting that Telltale's Minecraft: Story Mode is not just being removed from sale, but will also no longer be available to redownload if you've purchased it.

This feels like a pretty big deal. There are very, very few examples of this happening before. PT was one - a free demo that people at least hadn't paid for. The only example of this happening with a paid title that I can think of would be Darkspore, which was pulled from Origin after EA turned off its servers (it was an online-only title). Also, physical purchases are only limited help here, as only the first episode is on the disc with the rest needing to be downloaded.
  • challenge_hanukkah 2 Jun 2019 09:00:33 11,047 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    CAPPY WAS RIGHT!!!
  • Mola_Ram 2 Jun 2019 09:24:52 20,836 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Here's a hypothetical question: if Valve went bankrupt tomorrow and could no longer operate the Steam store, how fucked would we all be? I know there's a few alternatives to it now, but I'd imagine there's quite a lot of Steam-only games.

And buying "physical" these days often means buying a nice box with a download code in it, so I don't know how reliable that would be as a backup.
  • sport 2 Jun 2019 09:30:01 15,122 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    Here's a hypothetical question: if Valve went bankrupt tomorrow and could no longer operate the Steam store, how fucked would we all be? I know there's a few alternatives to it now, but I'd imagine there's quite a lot of Steam-only games.

And buying "physical" these days often means buying a nice box with a download code in it, so I don't know how reliable that would be as a backup.
    Mike Ashley would just buy them and we'd all get giant valve mugs.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 2 Jun 2019 09:48:47 6,160 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    There are so many storefronts around right now that the risks of one of them falling at some point are growing. It might not be Steam, but you've also got Origin, uPlay, Bethesda Launcher, Epic Games Launcher, Battle.net and so on. I'll leave the GoG launcher off the list because of the DRM-free thing, which reduces the risk to consumers (provided you download and keep backups of your games).

It's inevitable that, the games industry being what it is, one of them will go pop sooner or later. Personally, I'd be keeping an eye on the Epic Store - all it would take is for some other game to steal Fortnight's thunder and suck away some revenues for their current "buy marketshare" strategy to crash and burn.

When one does go belly-up, it will be fascinating to see what happens next, particularly in relation to the third party publishers. Will they give customers keys for other platforms or DRM-free versions? Or will they just walk away?
  • Load_2.0 2 Jun 2019 13:39:51 29,646 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Captain docks cruise ship. Badly.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/jun/02/cruise-ship-crashes-into-tourist-boat-in-venice-injuring-five-people
  • DrStrangelove 2 Jun 2019 13:57:25 14,377 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Rogueywon

I greatly doubt that Steam will ever go tits up, but even if it did, some other company would buy it (most likely Microsoft I reckon). I don't see Steam as a platform ever disappearing unless a big comet strikes the Earth or something like that.

True about some of the other services though. uPlay may not be around forever, Epic neither given how they just keep fucking up.
  • arty 2 Jun 2019 14:09:01 582 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Epic are 40% Tencent now. Can't see them going under anytime soon.
  • DrStrangelove 2 Jun 2019 15:01:11 14,377 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Right, there is that. In fact, I think in doubt Tencent will buy any platform that goes bust.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 2 Jun 2019 15:01:20 6,160 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    arty wrote:
    Epic are 40% Tencent now. Can't see them going under anytime soon.
    Maybe... but given Tencent are basically the Chinese Government, it only takes a small change in policy to pull that rug out from under them.
  • arty 2 Jun 2019 15:10:26 582 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Any one of them could pull the plug and shut it down at any moment so it's a valid thing to consider I suppose.
  • DrStrangelove 2 Jun 2019 15:12:14 14,377 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Rogueywon wrote:
    Tencent are basically the Chinese Government
    That's just not true. The Chinese government's ongoing crackdown on video games hurts Tencent's business and the government doesn't seem to do anything in their favour. The Chinese government is an obstacle in Tencent's way.
  • Trowel 2 Jun 2019 15:13:52 22,633 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Load_2.0 wrote:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/jun/02/cruise-ship-crashes-into-tourist-boat-in-venice-injuring-five-people
    Bloody hell. Perhaps it was just Banksy.
  • DrStrangelove 2 Jun 2019 16:27:27 14,377 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Pompeo: US will talk to Iran if it acts like a ‘normal nation’
    Actually made me laugh, a member of the Trump administration telling others to behave like a normal nation
  • JamboWayOh 2 Jun 2019 16:34:31 14,233 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Isn’t Pompeo one of those proper god botherers too, I could see why he’s itching for a war with Iran. He probably believes it will quicken up the rapture.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 2 Jun 2019 17:16:55 6,160 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Trowel wrote:
    Load_2.0 wrote:

Bloody hell. Perhaps it was just Banksy.
    I've seen worse. I was over in Antwerp back in 2007 or so when the captain of a car-ferry decided to moor it up at low-tide without having any slack in the cables. Tide came in and a big, orange ship full of new cars headed to market got pulled over onto its side. You can find pics if you google it. I went down to the docks and took some pictures (since lost to a dead phone).

As nobody was injured, I can say it was legitimately hilarious.
  • Jono62 6 Jun 2019 08:53:01 22,599 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/news/stoke-on-trent-news/ive-been-banned-everytherangeinthecountry-shopper-2921729

Stoke seems to be the place for upstanding people
  • TechnoHippy 6 Jun 2019 09:23:30 15,303 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Jono62 wrote:
    https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/news/stoke-on-trent-news/ive-been-banned-everytherangeinthecountry-shopper-2921729

It's a shit hole and one of thew worst places I've been to.
  • ghostgate2001 8 Jun 2019 05:49:03 661 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Mola_Ram Fair question. We would be very fucked, unless we had adequate warning-time to download everyting, and a big enough HDD to install our entire Steam libraries (!) ... and even then Valve would have to modify most titles to enable them to be launched in a post-Steam world. Which I can't imagine happening, especially if they were already screwed enough to be going under. We'd lose the lot, basically.

Mind you ... if Valve did mysteriously collapse tomorrow it would of course be a HUGE worldwide news event, and I imagine most publishers would be keen to earn kudos by enabling some kind of work-around, i.e. something similar to GOG's Steam Link that would enable people to "reclaim" their Steam-library games on a different store.

I think it's only GOG that actually lets you download and archive a DRM-free installer for your purchased games. That's the nearest thing to real "ownership" that we have these days, especially now that physical game-discs are mostly just Steam keys on a disc anyway.
  • thelzdking 8 Jun 2019 06:40:36 9,475 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    TechnoHippy wrote:
    Jono62 wrote:

It's a shit hole and one of thew worst places I've been to.
    He sounds like a twat.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 8 Jun 2019 09:09:26 6,160 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @ghostgate2001 Also worth noting that if Valve did collapse tomorrow, the administrators would be called in and there would probably be no shortage of other players in the industry (and possibly outside of it) who would want to buy Steam as a going concern.
  • anephric 8 Jun 2019 12:40:08 3,337 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I was in Longton and Stoke the other day for a railway thing.

Longton is the only place I've been to for an incident where a smackhead managed to beat up a signaller after trying to steal his car, locked him out of his own signal box and proceeded to play around with the signalling levers for about half an hour before British Transport Police rocked up.

I also went to a place where the the worst flytipping I've ever seen occurred and was so bad it nearly caused an avalanche of shit to cascade down a cutting slope and end up on the railway. It was literally tonnes of shit: fridges, furniture, hundreds of bags of rubbish. When we raided the houses presumably responsible they'd already been raided a few weeks before by armed Staffs police because it was a drugs den and the scummers were long gone (they'd been tipped off about the armed raid).

So, Longton. Don't go there.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.