Which is best, Foundation series or Dune series?

First Previous
  • monkeypuzzle 17 Jan 2008 13:41:29 1,949 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I have read the first of Asimov's Foundation series ( well the Foundation one not the prelude), and the first Dune book by Frank Herbert.

Thought they were both great and of similar ilk, galactic politics, imperialism etc.

Now I can go on to read the Dune series first, or the foundation series. I do have my own favourite but just wondered which series you preferred.
  • The_Aardvark 17 Jan 2008 13:46:14 3,063 posts
    Seen 8 years ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I'd say the Foundation series, in that it has more than one good book in it. On the other hand, I find the whole philosophy of the Foundation series - that human beings are more predictable as groups than individuals - to be so silly as to almost ruin them for me if I think about it too much.
  • monkeypuzzle 17 Jan 2008 14:03:35 1,949 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    yes, I did find this element of foundation somewhat daft, that someone worked the future out on a calculator!
  • DaM 17 Jan 2008 14:13:31 17,459 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Always much preferred Dune. To the extent that I can't quite remember the plot to Foundation. Apart from that bloke. And the planet completely covered in buildings.

Oh plus no international Muslim terrorist organisation has named themselves after Dune yet.

/wikis Foundation
    /is blown up by the Fremen Muslim Brotherhood
  • Deleted user 17 January 2008 14:38:13
    Read the Foundation books when i was about 14 and then tried the Dune series. Found that Dune was like reading Chaucer in comparrison.

Foundation FTW!

/has big collection of Asimov

/Likes Asimov a lot
  • twelveways 17 Jan 2008 14:48:54 7,131 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Coal powered spaceships ftw!
  • Deleted user 17 January 2008 14:52:53
    I'd vote for the Dune series... My personal all time favorite sci fi.
  • opalw00t 17 Jan 2008 15:09:53 12,830 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Dune. And I like the prequels and sequles written by his son too.

/flicks V's at purists
  • DaM 17 Jan 2008 15:32:17 17,459 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    w00t wrote:

/flicks V's at purists

Me too - they are crap though, in comparison!
  • monkeypuzzle 17 Jan 2008 15:41:58 1,949 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Well I preferred Dune and so will read the next two books in that series but will go back to Asimov when I get a chance.
  • Red-Moose 17 Jan 2008 16:14:37 5,344 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    The_Aardvark wrote:
    I'd say the Foundation series, in that it has more than one good book in it. On the other hand, I find the whole philosophy of the Foundation series - that human beings are more predictable as groups than individuals - to be so silly as to almost ruin them for me if I think about it too much.

Well people *are* more predictable in groups than individuals, and the behaviour changes depending on the size of the group. There are countless experiments on this that have shown it.

I say Foundation series is better, but read the Prelude first.
  • Scimarad 17 Jan 2008 18:35:33 9,756 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    DaM wrote:
    ...And the planet completely covered in buildings...

That's the only bit I know about :-)
  • monkeypuzzle 17 Jan 2008 20:01:44 1,949 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Leolian'sBro wrote:
    bcolter wrote:
    I'd vote for the Dune series... My personal all time favorite sci fi.

This. Asimov was good, don't get me wrong, but Dune is just brilliant.

Thats where I was on this, going to read the second book soon.
  • JoeBlade 18 Jan 2008 01:27:46 5,109 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Foundation = pure, raw sci-fi essence.
    Leave out the techie bits and there's little left to tell. Asimov's the patriarch of about 90% of what we take for granted in science fiction nowadays: AIs/robots, blasters, energy shields, big bad mofo spaceships, the works. And most of it dates back to the 1950's no less.
    Incredibly innovative although no highlight in pure storytelling.

Dune = traditional novels in a revolutionary setting.
    The stories might as well be transplanted to roman times, they would still work out (although the series would lose some of its zest, no doubt).
    The struggles between power blocks, the memorable personas and above all the intrigues are what mark Herbert's works for me.
    Superior storytelling, inferior sci-fi in short.

Well, all IMO of course. Love them both, for the record :)
  • JoeBlade 18 Jan 2008 01:27:47 5,109 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Phattso 18 Jan 2008 02:28:18 25,492 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I'd probably vote Dune, but only on the strength of the first two and the last two in the sequence.

That said, I'm re-reading Babel-17 (by Samuel Delaney) at the moment which is reminding me that you can do thought provoking sci-fi without needing the thousands of pages of somewhat self indulgent prose that the two named series often contain. ;)
  • SirScratchalot 18 Jan 2008 07:26:49 7,921 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I was surprised to find myself completely cold to Dune.
    It's just, well, bland and goes of on a strange "dirty old man writing sci-fi" near the end.
    Foundation I find at least fairly intelligent.
  • jimmyjimbob 18 Jan 2008 08:03:38 313 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    If I remember rightly Dune gets steadily heavier going during the 2nd and 3rd books. Almost became a chore to read in places. Think I kinda gave up after the 3rd book.

Never head of Foundation, so can't comment on that one.

/edit damn crappy inability to spell!
  • monkeypuzzle 18 Jan 2008 16:30:36 1,949 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I found Foundation much lighter than the first Dune book, which although was a little hard going to start with, I got into very quickly.

Asimov, in Foundation has some slightly amusing views of the future, things like use of coins, newspapers and having draperies on spaceships were particular highlights for me! Although accepted this was written in the 1950's.
  • Goban 18 Jan 2008 16:40:03 10,071 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Foundation for me. Dune is an enjoyable read, no where near as engrossing for me.
  • Deleted user 19 January 2008 11:49:51
    Foundation, though stick to the original Foundation trilogy and skip the turgid prequels and sequels that came much later.
  • NewbieZilla 22 Jan 2008 02:28:12 241 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I only have the first Foundation book on hand, and haven't even started reading that yet so I can't really say which is better... Love the Dune series though.
    w00t wrote:

/flicks V's at purists
    The Prelude to Dune books are great. Legends are ok, IMO but I think they go in a totally different route to what the originals lead to believe. "Men with machines enslaving us" as opposed to what the is stated in the Legends books. Only support for this idea is in the Prequels which obviously are by the same two.

I'll not bother mentioning other specific things that take a step away from the book because of spoilers but there is a lot that isn't quite right.

(Haven't read Sandworms yet, either... Am going through the Originals again, and then will re-read Hunters and then onto Sandworms.)
  • Charlie_Miso 22 Jan 2008 05:38:34 1,190 posts
    Seen 7 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    both turn to shit by the end so...
  • Audiothor 10 Feb 2008 19:49:35 3 posts
    Seen 13 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I read the Dune books and enjoyed them, although they were a bit trippy, that is to say I think they were like a melange spice trip experience...

I also read the Foundation series and I found that slightly more enjoyable if only because I love the hard science edge Asimov puts into his stories.

He's more like Arthur C. Clarke than Frank Herbert.

It's strange how versions of Dune have been made for film and TV but I've never heard of an attempt at Foundation as a movie.....Anyone heard of one?
  • Deleted user 10 February 2008 21:39:37
    I used to love Asimov's books when I was younger (in my early-to-mid teens), and the Foundation series was a favourite. Never read Dune (although Dune II on the Amiga is one of my top 5 games), my sci-fi tastes nowadays are a bit different nowadays, I prefer writers like Philip K Dick and Kurt Vonnegut. Is it still worth me reading Dune? I have a vague feeling it wouldn't grab me.

I randomly picked up Alfred Bester's The Stars My Destination a few months back despite knowing next-to-nothing about it. One of the nicest surprises I've had, at least as far as books go!
  • Deleted user 10 February 2008 23:02:52
    I prefer the dune books myself.
  • First Previous

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.