Following Idiotic Mac Questions for an Idiotic Mac Newbie Idiot. Idiot. Page 57

• dominalien 4 Oct 2017 07:53:19 8,530 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Apple hardware is hands down the best and sleekest hardware I've ever used, but they've lost me completely now. The compromise in usability is too great. My MBP is still OK for what I use it for, luckily, but I have no idea what I'm going to buy once it isn't. I keep looking at other things but they just don't appeal.
  • David_Richardson 4 Oct 2017 12:26:01 1,073 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Armoured_Bear Whereabouts do you live? I have a 27" 2009 iMac that I don't use anymore. It's been boxed up for ages. I want to keep the mouse and keyboard, but you are welcome to the screen if you can just switch the SSD and RAM across.
  • Armoured_Bear 4 Oct 2017 12:42:02 22,175 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    David_Richardson wrote:
    @Armoured_Bear Whereabouts do you live? I have a 27" 2009 iMac that I don't use anymore. It's been boxed up for ages. I want to keep the mouse and keyboard, but you are welcome to the screen if you can just switch the SSD and RAM across.
    Hi David

Thanks very much, I live in Switzerland, I imagine that's not so practical?
  • Armoured_Bear 4 Oct 2017 12:43:33 22,175 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    CrispyXUKTurbo wrote:
    It's most likely the panel, most apple places replace them. Better off buying a decent dell monitor and a mac mini though.
    The panel was already replaced free by Apple, a few years out of warranty but it's gone again. The other issue is definitely the GPU as it's visible with printouts.
  • dominalien 4 Oct 2017 13:31:46 8,530 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    My company has an early-2008 iMac on the reception desk. It looks excellent and runs acceptably. I got it for free from a friend who was upgrading to a newer model last year.

One of the fluorescent lights is gone, though, and it shows brighter/darker columns on the left side of the screen, but they're only visible on uniform backgrounds, luckily, which almost never happens. I was thinking of replacing the screen (pretty expensive) or just the lights (a fairly huge endeavour, according to iFixit), but no-one complains so I haven't and probably never will.

Also, when the sun is shining directly at it, as happens in winter for an hour or two every morning, it's very apparent there's a huge amount of dust behind the glass.

A fine machine, brought down by its silly screen.
  • greg_wha 4 Oct 2017 13:37:40 1,097 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yeah my 2011 iMac would be PERFECT still if not for the screen. Still nippy as itís essentially a iTunes Player with Safari and email tacked on.
  • spindizzy 4 Oct 2017 16:42:50 7,751 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    dominalien wrote:
    Also, when the sun is shining directly at it, as happens in winter for an hour or two every morning, it's very apparent there's a huge amount of dust behind the glass.

A fine machine, brought down by its silly screen.
    Just FYI - that screen is held on by magnets so it's really, really easy to lift the glass off to clean it. You can use suction cups, but personally I just made some loops of packaging tape, sticky side on screen obviously, and it worked fine.
  • mothercruncher 4 Oct 2017 18:33:02 14,880 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    That a bit like learning thereís a secret door to Narbia in my wardrobe. Sold it now, but my 2011 MacBook had one tiny spec that bugged me occasionally.
  • David_Richardson 4 Oct 2017 19:00:17 1,073 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Armoured_Bear Yeah, sorry, mate, I'm just outside London!
  • spindizzy 4 Oct 2017 23:30:12 7,751 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    mothercruncher wrote:
    That a bit like learning thereís a secret door to Narbia in my wardrobe. Sold it now, but my 2011 MacBook had one tiny spec that bugged me occasionally.
    Itís only the iMac that have screens with magnets! The laptops are super fiddly.

Edited by spindizzy at 23:30:49 04-10-2017
  • Tonka 12 Oct 2017 06:48:57 27,814 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I'm getting settled in with my new MBP now and for the most part it's a huuuuuge improvement. A surprising bonus . of only having two USB-C Thumdebolt 3(is it?) ports is that I had to get a hub for the office.

That means I only have to plug in/out one cable when I move my laptop to a meeting or bring it home. Used to be four, two of which were fiddly.

I do miss the MagSafe though. The portability of the new MBP is a bliss. The screen is great although I rarely see it since I use an external monitor most of the time. Same thing for the keyboard that I really like despite its shallow travel. A bit loud perhaps.

One thing that's driving me nuts is the fake trackpad click. Sometimes it won't fire and that feeling is bloody annoying. They've also removed the option to double tap and hold for the click and drag action. The three finger swipe to bring up the command + tab menu is gone as well.

Minor things for most I'm sure but both were things I've relied a lot upon apparently.
  • Slint1000 12 Oct 2017 07:23:23 3,110 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I though that too at first about the three finger drag etc but those options are still there on the new MacBook Pros fortunately.

They have to be switched on in the accessibility options in system preferences for some reason.

Edited by Slint1000 at 07:57:53 12-10-2017
  • Tonka 12 Oct 2017 07:56:15 27,814 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Thank you so much kind sir!
  • nickthegun 12 Oct 2017 08:40:20 73,518 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Has anyone got an iPad pro running ios11? Is it usable now as a day to day device?

My macbook pro has shit itself again (it had a new logic board under a CS program for a graphics chip issue, the program has expired and it's just done EXACTLY the same thing) and I'm thinking that all I really use it for is browsing, watching YouTube and.... nothing else really, so an iPad pro seems like it would make sense.

Our work employee purchase scheme fortunately opened two days after it died and the 12.9 inch pro works out at 52 quid a month a bottom tier 13 inch mbp come out at 81 (the same price as a macbook 12", which I've discounted).

So, yeah, decisions.

Edited by nickthegun at 08:40:45 12-10-2017
  • Tonka 12 Oct 2017 08:45:25 27,814 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    If all you do is browsing and YouTube you don't even need a PRO iPad. Just get the vanilla one and save yourself some money.
  • nickthegun 12 Oct 2017 08:52:38 73,518 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Nah, I want a big-ish screen. There's an iPad mini and an old iPad 2 in our house and they are too small for a primary consumption device.

Plus I want multitasking and whatnot. I'm not a caveman.
  • nickthegun 12 Oct 2017 08:54:09 73,518 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I suppose what I'm asking is "does iOS even remotely simulate the desktop experience yet?"
  • Jeepers 12 Oct 2017 08:57:50 16,517 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    I suppose what I'm asking is "does iOS even remotely simulate the desktop experience yet?"
    I don't think so, no. It's taking baby steps in that direction with the direct access to your files but it's a limited paradigm compared to desktop OS (managing large numbers of files, as you routinely do on a desktop is going to be a chore, for example).

But if you're using it for Youtube etc., I can't see that being a problem.

I have the first gen iPad Pro and it's very nice. Get a Pencil if you do get one, even if it's only for your kids.
  • uiruki 12 Oct 2017 09:09:28 4,517 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Yeah, for browsing itís really nice. Additions like being able to drag entries from 1Password straight into browser boxes are nice to have, the speed is excellent and the 120hz screen on the current gem pro is one of those things where it doesnít sound like a big deal but if you go from it to a 60hz display youíll likely notice it pretty fast. My main issue when browsing is that you still canít get a really big picture in picture video. In general though itís just really really nice to use for pretty much anything.

I still use my Mac or my pc when Iím doing anything more complicated though. Depends on your workflow though - I think if they managed to get proper Premiere and InDesign working on it then thatíd change.
  • nickthegun 12 Oct 2017 09:26:24 73,518 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yeah, we have a fairly meaty PC, otherwise I would get a macbook because you need something desktoppy.

The Mrs is an editor and she's decided that she's getting enough work to go fully Avid and is now turning down final cut commissions, so that's no longer an issue either.

If a surface was in the scheme, I would get that, tbh.
  • Tonka 29 Nov 2017 10:14:12 27,814 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Anyone with sensitive stuff on their laptop rubbing high Sierra?

https://www.wired.com/story/macos-high-sierra-hack-root/
  • brigadier 1 Dec 2017 03:50:30 1,035 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    So I'm looking for a decent Mac cleaning software. On my old one I used MacKeeper which, after I didn't renew with them, seemed to make things dodgy by instantly telling me about the million viruses I had and generally wouldn't uninstall properly.

Any recommendations? Something I can trust.
  • elstoof 1 Dec 2017 06:46:17 19,925 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Avoid MacKeeper, itís dodgy as fuck. You donít even need this type of software in this day and age anyway
  • greg_wha 1 Dec 2017 09:37:52 1,097 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yeah, as above really. But if youíre really OCD Clean My Mac 2 or 3 are good for uninstalling unused language files etc etc. and a monthly clean if youíre that way out.
  • Tonka 23 Jan 2018 10:33:35 27,814 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    So... this new MBP...

It's an atrocity. As long as I have it connected to the mega hub of useful stuff it's perfectly fine.

But this fucking keyboard and the touch pad are just plain insulting. I need to click on two or more things in a row quite often (selecting multiple shapes in Keynote as an example) and the fucker that came up with the drives for the haptic engine didn't think I would need any physical feedback beyond the first tap.

Useless.

* The lack of ports and SD card slot is plain insulting.
    And Why the fuck did they remove the cable winding hooks from the powerbrick?
    * Palm rejection is a joke. It's design around the idea that you'll eventually get used to working suspended from the ceiling like Tom Cruise in Mission Impossible.
    * Setting up an account and choosing a custom picture requires Apples crappy Photos app. * That or you get a choice between some of the most mundane stock photos ever created.
    * The extra layer of dongles needed to connect a projector means there are even more things that can go wrong.
    * Unplugging and replugging the mouse sometimes activates the drivers and sometimes not. I've no idea when or why.

As long as the fucker is lying closed next to my monitor and is connected to the hub it's fine.Or when I'm putting it in my backpack and it's really small and light.

But my gods, did they fumble this, supposedly, PRO device beyond what I thought would be possible.
    At least I don't have that stupid fucking touch bar...
    https://marco.org/2017/11/24/fixing-the-macbook-pro
  • Zerobob 23 Jan 2018 11:03:20 2,062 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I chose to buy a refurbished 2015 Macbook Pro because of the issues you mentioned with the newer model, and I'm really happy with it. It's always snappy to use, it's quiet, the screen is great, the keyboard is decent, the trackpad is phenomenal, the battery life is amazing, it has all the connectivity you need without the need for dongles, then you shut the lid when you're finished using it and, by god, the sleep function works seamlessly.

As soon as I read the 2016/2017 Macbook Pro had keyboard issues, a huge trackpad that got in the way with questionable palm rejection, no standard USB/HDMI ports, and no magsafe charger, I knew I couldn't live with it for purely practical reasons.
  • Armoured_Bear 23 Jan 2018 11:19:44 22,175 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    I'm getting settled in with my new MBP now and for the most part it's a huuuuuge improvement. A surprising bonus . of only having two USB-C Thumdebolt 3(is it?) ports is that I had to get a hub for the office..
    Tonka wrote:
    So... this new MBP...

It's an atrocity.
    Haha...
  • askew 23 Jan 2018 11:23:21 16,540 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    brigadier wrote:
    So I'm looking for a decent Mac cleaning software. On my old one I used MacKeeper which, after I didn't renew with them, seemed to make things dodgy by instantly telling me about the million viruses I had and generally wouldn't uninstall properly.

Any recommendations? Something I can trust.
    If you take a peek under About This Mac -> Storage -> Manage you will find some options for cleaning up cruft like this.
  • Armoured_Bear 23 Jan 2018 11:23:42 22,175 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    My MBP is 9 years old, I could really do with replacing it when I get the cash but a lot of what I read about the MBP does put me off....
  • Tonka 23 Jan 2018 11:34:01 27,814 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Tonka wrote:
    I'm getting settled in with my new MBP now and for the most part it's a huuuuuge improvement. A surprising bonus . of only having two USB-C Thumdebolt 3(is it?) ports is that I had to get a hub for the office..
    Tonka wrote:
    So... this new MBP...

It's an atrocity.
    Haha...
    I know. It's that infatuation / something / disapointment thing.

Alas. In the office with everything plugged in and me not having to touch it... Bliss. It's fast and quiet and has all the applications I'm used to.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.