Idiotic Mac Questions for an Idiotic Mac Newbie Idiot. Idiot. Page 67

  • mothercruncher 31 Jan 2020 22:16:09 18,124 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I just looked (thanks for the TV+ tip)- you could have all of whatís there watched in a month. And thatís if you fancied watching all of it, which I donít. Itís comically skeletal.
  • beastmaster 31 Jan 2020 23:16:38 21,395 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I've got the annual sub when I got my new phone. Accepted but not even bothered looking.
  • Fourwisemen 7 Mar 2020 16:42:50 970 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Right then...

    I've bought a refurbed 2017 iMac and managed to install Win 10 (yeah, I know, but needs must) that is running just fine from an external SSD..

    Frustratingly though, I'm getting issues with downloading some Gamepass games, not all, but some give an error that appears to be linked to administrator rights even though I am the admin.

    So, I'm thinking of trying a Win 10 install and running it from the internal SSD as a partition. The advice is 128GB for the WIN 10 partition, and I have the space on theSSD (500GB with 300GB available).

    When running bootcamp assistant, it won't let me increase the partition size above 78GB.

    I'm running Catalina.

    Any thoughts/solutions?
  • Fourwisemen 7 Mar 2020 17:08:06 970 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    And weirdly it's now letting me partition to the recommended value..
  • Armoured_Bear 26 Apr 2020 12:45:49 29,126 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Shit, my 2011 iMac totally shat it and won't boot. Just hangs with a white screen (after the startup apple symbol screen) then eventually reboots and repeat.
    I've done the following
    Tried Internet Recovery - Same behaviour
    Boot in safe mode and check disk, fsck says disk is hunky dory.
    I'm currently trying to get it to boot a USB Disk with the OS Image but it only sees the main SSD.

    Fuck.
  • MMMarmite 27 Apr 2020 02:07:39 1,629 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Armoured_Bear pull the power cord out for at least 15 seconds then plug it back in and wait at least 5 seconds before powering up. That should reset the system management controller and might help you get further along the boot process.

    If you havenít tried that already.

    Edited by MMMarmite at 07:41:46 27-04-2020
  • Tonka 27 Apr 2020 06:20:37 31,182 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @Armoured_Bear the Apple Bureau read your wish for a new iMac and decided to nudge you.
  • beastmaster 27 Apr 2020 09:25:16 21,395 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Shit, my 2011 iMac totally shat it and won't boot. Just hangs with a white screen (after the startup apple symbol screen) then eventually reboots and repeat.
    I've done the following
    Tried Internet Recovery - Same behaviour
    Boot in safe mode and check disk, fsck says disk is hunky dory.
    I'm currently trying to get it to boot a USB Disk with the OS Image but it only sees the main SSD.

    Fuck.
    Time machine?
  • Armoured_Bear 28 Apr 2020 21:46:28 29,126 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    MMMarmite wrote:
    @Armoured_Bear pull the power cord out for at least 15 seconds then plug it back in and wait at least 5 seconds before powering up. That should reset the system management controller and might help you get further along the boot process.

    If you havenít tried that already.
    Thanks but Yep, done that.
  • Armoured_Bear 28 Apr 2020 21:52:14 29,126 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    beastmaster wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    Shit, my 2011 iMac totally shat it and won't boot. Just hangs with a white screen (after the startup apple symbol screen) then eventually reboots and repeat.
    I've done the following
    Tried Internet Recovery - Same behaviour
    Boot in safe mode and check disk, fsck says disk is hunky dory.
    I'm currently trying to get it to boot a USB Disk with the OS Image but it only sees the main SSD.

    Fuck.
    Time machine?
    No, won't work anyway.
    I have now made an OS Lion USB disk and a DVD and the iMac recognises them but once selected just end up on a blank grey screen indefinitely.

    I can go into single-user mode and mount disks, copy data, run checks etc. and it all seems fine.
    My best guess is that there's a GPU issue which shits itself when it gets used but I'm clueless.
    Can't think of anything else to try, Recovery mdoe doesn't work, nor Internet Recovery, nor USB nor OS DVD.
    My 2008 Laptop is dead as well so can't even try target mode.
  • Armoured_Bear 28 Apr 2020 21:52:28 29,126 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    @Armoured_Bear the Apple Bureau read your wish for a new iMac and decided to nudge you.
    Bastards are a bit early!
  • dominalien 29 Apr 2020 15:35:24 9,936 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Armoured_Bear

    I'd tell you to download a linux and put it on a usb and try to boot that and see if it works, but you're just going to ignore me so I won't.

    Edited by dominalien at 15:35:54 29-04-2020
  • Beetroot_Bertie 29 Apr 2020 19:00:59 519 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Probably the GPU on its way out. Are you getting any vertical stripes or graphical anomalies?

    You could try seeing if it's running hot with a temperature monitoring app (if you can get it to boot and be stable for a while):
    https://sourceforge.net/projects/hwsensors/

    The one in my 2011 iMac died after 4 yrs and the replacement card went in Feb this year (after just over 4 yrs again and despite me being more more liberal with fan speeds up to that point).

    I took it out and baked it in the oven which was an interesting experience. It's currently working but I expect it to be a temporary fix.

    There's a very long thread over at MacRumors about replacing the GPU in 2011 iMacs if you fancy mucking around.

    https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/2011-imac-graphics-card-upgrade.1596614/
  • Armoured_Bear 29 Apr 2020 19:14:24 29,126 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Beetroot_Bertie wrote:
    Probably the GPU on its way out. Are you getting any vertical stripes or graphical anomalies?

    You could try seeing if it's running hot with a temperature monitoring app (if you can get it to boot and be stable for a while):
    https://sourceforge.net/projects/hwsensors/

    The one in my 2011 iMac died after 4 yrs and the replacement card went in Feb this year (after just over 4 yrs again and despite me being more more liberal with fan speeds up to that point).

    I took it out and baked it in the oven which was an interesting experience. It's currently working but I expect it to be a temporary fix.

    There's a very long thread over at MacRumors about replacing the GPU in 2011 iMacs if you fancy mucking around.

    https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/2011-imac-graphics-card-upgrade.1596614/
    Nope, no artifacts, the GPU on my previous 2009 iMac dies and I tried the baking trick, did no good!
    I can't get it to boot, I have it copying all the data out to an external drive in single-user mode at the moment!
  • Beetroot_Bertie 29 Apr 2020 22:52:26 519 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    At least you can recover your data. Have you tried rebooting after unplugging all devices except the keyboard and mouse (to be plugged directly into the Mac)?

    Maybe reseat the RAM too.

    Edited by Beetroot_Bertie at 22:55:48 29-04-2020
  • Armoured_Bear 29 Apr 2020 23:49:17 29,126 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Beetroot_Bertie wrote:
    At least you can recover your data. Have you tried rebooting after unplugging all devices except the keyboard and mouse (to be plugged directly into the Mac)?

    Maybe reseat the RAM too.
    I've done that. haven't tried resetting the RAM, will try tomorrow once backup is finished.
  • Armoured_Bear 3 May 2020 10:14:31 29,126 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Looks like the GPU died, I dug out the kernel extension panic logs from when it shat itself.
    There goes my hopes of somehow rescuing it....
  • Beetroot_Bertie 3 May 2020 11:47:49 519 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    When mine went, I popped down to a local computer shop and they quoted me £300 for a replacement logic board with a refurbed card. I don't know if that's the sort of money you want to throw at a 9yr old computer but maybe you can get something similar near you.

    Can you hear the oven calling?
  • Armoured_Bear 3 May 2020 12:02:30 29,126 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Beetroot_Bertie wrote:
    When mine went, I popped down to a local computer shop and they quoted me £300 for a replacement logic board with a refurbed card. I don't know if that's the sort of money you want to throw at a 9yr old computer but maybe you can get something similar near you.

    Can you hear the oven calling?
    Cheers Bertie, I live in Switzerland where evrything is more expensive so I'd have to spend more than the machine is worth to repair it :(
    I tried the oven trick with my 2009 GPU and it didn't work (it did for a mate) but in this case, there are no artefacts or anything, just no ability to display anything beyond a blank screen so not sure if it is the dry joint issue that the bake could repair...
  • Beetroot_Bertie 3 May 2020 12:41:34 519 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Sounds like you've got nowt to lose :) Well, that was my thinking anyway - bake it or have a big 27" dead weight sitting on my desk.

    If you do decide to bake it, you have to take the logic board out too as the GPU is screwed on at the back side of the board this time. I found it gave me a good opportunity to give it all a thorough clean as my fans were pretty dusty, as was the interior. I also removed the optical drive (it packed in a while ago anyway) to allow for more airflow.

    I'd read on the MacRumors forum that some seem to believe that it's heat from the spinning HDD that's a cause of the problem too.

    It sounds like you know what you're doing but I found these instructions really helpful and they pretty much get you as far as you need to go:

    ifixit 2011 iMac teardown guide

    I was speaking to friend about my Mac a while ago and apparently the parts like the display and PSU still go for some money on ebay etc so there may still be some value in those if you're happy to strip it and try to sell them. I was gutted when mine went as it's been a perfectly usable machine (GPU issues aside) and is still very much useful to me. I really like the Mac extended keyboard from then too.
  • EMarkM 23 May 2020 19:19:28 5,064 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Soooooooooooo....back with the same sort of question I always ask...

    Hypothetically, if I purchased the £1049 iMac (I think it's the 21" one), would the built-in graphics card be capable of running a good selection of modern games?

    I really don't seem to understand this stuff as well as I should, given my background :D
  • elstoof 23 May 2020 20:13:09 26,089 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Thereís probsbly gonna be an update to the iMac next month guy
  • Armoured_Bear 23 May 2020 20:17:02 29,126 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    EMarkM wrote:
    Soooooooooooo....back with the same sort of question I always ask...

    Hypothetically, if I purchased the £1049 iMac (I think it's the 21" one), would the built-in graphics card be capable of running a good selection of modern games?

    I really don't seem to understand this stuff as well as I should, given my background :D
    I wouldnít buy an iMac just now, look very likely to be updated in 4 weeks
  • EMarkM 23 May 2020 20:18:07 5,064 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @elstoof Yep, so I'm keeping my eyes open, but with family finances in mind, I'm just trying to gauge the capabilities of any of the standard iMacs for gaming fun.

    Being a Mac user from 2008 onwards means that I am more than happy with the non-gaming aspects for coding, photography, music, document production and so on.

    I just know that my current model simply won't shift the pictures for even stuff like Eurotruck 2 and the like, so am wondering if the newer ones will.

    Thanks though :)
  • nickthegun 23 May 2020 20:43:12 83,331 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    If youíre getting the bottom rung one, the Intel iris chip wonít get you very far. The Radeon chips are a bit better but youíd be better off spending the difference on a PlayStation.
  • EMarkM 23 May 2020 23:46:15 5,064 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    If youíre getting the bottom rung one, the Intel iris chip wonít get you very far. The Radeon chips are a bit better but youíd be better off spending the difference on a PlayStation.
    Cheers. Iíve got it into my head I might be going down the Series X route when they appear, so will probably stick with the standard PS4 for now.

    Itís just that I have built up a little Steam library and currently have nothing to play it on.

    Thanks everyone :)
  • PatrickEwing 9 Jul 2020 14:03:57 2,486 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Does anyone any experience of battery change on macbook? Not so much how to but where to buy from. For a 2013 Macbook air 13" I've previsouly bought one from battdepot and changed myself but it was rubbish, holds no charge now and mac reboots every time it switches back on now.

    Talking A1466 model, I've seen duracell direct but not sure if this is legit duracell?
    https://www.duracelldirect.co.uk/laptop-notebook/apple/macbook-air-13-mid-2013-emc2632-battery-adapter-charger.html
  • nickthegun 9 Jul 2020 14:30:05 83,331 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Try ifixit. Iíve got a few things from there and itís top quality
  • PatrickEwing 9 Jul 2020 14:57:22 2,486 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    cheers, saw ifixit come up on my searches, ordered!
  • Armoured_Bear 30 Aug 2020 10:39:33 29,126 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I want to delete everything on the SSD on my old iMac so I can sell it, however as the GPU is dubbed, I can only access using single/user mode and mount the disk in Unix.

    Is it enough to just delete everything below /Users ?
Log in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.