Idiotic Mac Questions for an Idiotic Mac Newbie Idiot. Idiot. Page 69

Next Last
  • Lukus 29 Sep 2020 22:56:22 23,687 posts
    Seen 12 seconds ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    It won't boot in any way :( something inside must have gone awry.
  • Lukus 30 Sep 2020 02:13:00 23,687 posts
    Seen 12 seconds ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Ahh, silly me, it was just the black screen of death...
  • elstoof 30 Sep 2020 08:38:21 26,089 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Fixed?
  • Tonka 30 Sep 2020 09:01:22 31,182 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Wasn't there a case of someone turning the monitor backlight all the way down to 0%? So the laptop was on but he couldn't see it.
  • Lukus 30 Sep 2020 10:25:59 23,687 posts
    Seen 12 seconds ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    Fixed?
    Yeah! :) I really am a newbie idiot.

Just had to do this - https://osxdaily.com/2014/11/22/fix-macbook-pro-booting-black-screen/
  • grey_matters 17 Oct 2020 12:31:55 5,345 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Any macs to avoid?

My Dad is thinking of gong back to Apple (he loved his old LC475 but had been using Windows for a long time now) and picking up a used one. I'm not sure how 'used' but as he is now using a Pentium 4 Dell, most things will be a major upgrade.
  • Armoured_Bear 17 Oct 2020 12:39:47 29,126 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    grey_matters wrote:
    Any macs to avoid?

My Dad is thinking of gong back to Apple (he loved his old LC475 but had been using Windows for a long time now) and picking up a used one. I'm not sure how 'used' but as he is now using a Pentium 4 Dell, most things will be a major upgrade.
    Generally, One with a spinning hard disk, if budget allows, look for an SSD and enough RAM.
    Are you looking at laptop or desktop?
    Budget ?
    Use?
  • grey_matters 17 Oct 2020 12:50:10 5,345 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Dunno budget yet. Yeah, I'd always go SSD if I can.

He's looking at an iMac, I'll find out later if it's a specific one or just generally. No idea why he's returning to Macs but that's his call. He used to be a printer and partial graphic designer and while he still does some leaflets and posters for events he's been able to limp along with an ancient Dell so it isn't too onerous.
    I guess I was looking for some advice along the lines of "stay away from the 2011 iMacs, the nVidia graphics cards overheated and the solder melted" or some such.

To be honest, I'd like to take his budget and add to it to get something nicer.

Edited by grey_matters at 12:50:58 17-10-2020
  • Armoured_Bear 17 Oct 2020 12:55:50 29,126 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    grey_matters wrote:

He's looking at an iMac, I'll find out later if it's a specific one or just generally. No idea why he's returning to Macs but that's his call. He used to be a printer and partial graphic designer and while he still does some leaflets and posters for events he's been able to limp along with an ancient Dell so it isn't too onerous.
    I guess I was looking for some advice along the lines of "stay away from the 2011 iMacs, the nVidia graphics cards overheated and the solder melted" or some such.

2009-2011 iMacs did have GPU issues, Iím not aware of issues in more recent ones.
    Need to bear in mind that Apple Silicon iMacs will be here before long, probably with a major redesign so I personally would spend as little as possible on a Mac and wait till next year if you can..
  • grey_matters 17 Oct 2020 13:05:50 5,345 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    grey_matters wrote:

2009-2011 iMacs did have GPU issues, Iím not aware of issues in more recent ones.
    Need to bear in mind that Apple Silicon iMacs will be here before long, probably with a major redesign so I personally would spend as little as possible on a Mac and wait till next year if you can..
    Yeah, me too. He's in his 80s though so the cutting edge probably isn't what he's after. He'll probably just want to plug in his peripherals and not be worried about imminent PC death. Which a new windows PC should be good for. Maybe he just wants to try something newish.

Anyway, thanks for the gpu info, I thought I heard something like that years back. I'll avoid 2011 and before (SSDs were probably quite rare then anyway and that will be the biggest power-up that I can give him).

Edited by grey_matters at 13:06:52 17-10-2020
  • Beetroot_Bertie 17 Oct 2020 16:09:20 519 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    An Intel one might actually be better for your Dad from the angle that he can install windows via bootcamp and then be able to boot between that and MacOS if desired (might help if he's got a bunch of older apps he's like to keep using).

SSD probably better than a fusion drive though.

Edited by Beetroot_Bertie at 16:10:15 17-10-2020
  • beastmaster 17 Oct 2020 16:19:10 21,395 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Fusion drives are terrible. Go SSD.

Edited by beastmaster at 16:19:20 17-10-2020
  • grey_matters 17 Oct 2020 20:43:53 5,345 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Thanks all. Is cloning a HDD to an SSD possible in an iMac? I guess I should just check it myself, it mught depend on the model.

Thanks again.
  • Fourwisemen 19 Oct 2020 09:37:26 970 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I'm using a 2017 27" iMac and for an additional screen using this adaptor - https://amzn.to/3o7ePks - for the HDMI connection.

All works fine except if I shut down the machine, when it re-boots I have to unplug and re-place the USB-C connection. This is a pain for obvious reasons.

Any thoughts on why this may be the case and if there might be settings I can adjust?
  • Beetroot_Bertie 19 Oct 2020 09:51:36 519 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @grey_matters I've cloned drives with both Super Duper (more recently) and Carbon Copy Cloner (in the past).

SD - https://www.shirt-pocket.com/SuperDuper/SuperDuperDescription.html
    CCC- https://bombich.com/

Either will clone a drive (and it still be bootable) and the trial versions of each should be fine for you needs I think.

Ooh. Forum seems to create links automatically now.

Edited by Beetroot_Bertie at 10:33:48 19-10-2020
  • Next Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.