Myst appreciation thread

• Deleted user 18 February 2008 00:32:33
    Poor old Myst. So maligned. I can understand it when talking about the first, but Riven and onwards I think are great... Myst V certainly deserves more recognition than it does.

Anyone else love 'em as much as me? Mysterious worlds, only it's all atmosphere and headscratchers. Taking your time, chilling out and being weirded out.

The bit at the beginning of Riven where Gehn appears in the temple still freaks me out now...
  • SharksInYourMouth 18 Feb 2008 00:47:38 1,959 posts
    Seen 9 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Never played anything from the Myst series, but it looks very relaxing and diverse. I donít play many PC games but I might consider looking for a copy soon seeing as itís the kind of thing that could appeal to most people. First person adventure that solely revolves around exploration and discovering and from what I know (very little) is a point and click gameÖ worth looking at simply because not many point and click games that are critically acclaimed have been released in this era. And I donít think a high spec PC is required either, great :)
  • Deleted user 18 February 2008 08:42:08
    Be warned, Myst V doesn't have the best engine and can bring relatively fast computers to a bit of a crawl. Still looks very pretty though.

Myst is getting on a bit, it's worth having a try on, but I started with Riven which has a richer story. It is pretty difficult but there's a point where the entire thing comes together in a verrryy clever way.
  • Tiger_Walts 18 Feb 2008 09:30:53 16,674 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    The Schizm titles which were very similar were good, too.
  • Goffee 18 Feb 2008 09:59:10 67 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    You can't really knock Myst and 7th Guest. They are games that, along with X-Wing, Sim City and a few others, helped sell PCs as games machines to tens of millions of home users who would otherwise have stuck with Sega Megadrives and other rubbish.
  • Tiger_Walts 18 Feb 2008 10:10:19 16,674 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I had a trailer for 'Ripper' and ever since I've wanted to play it. Who could resist Christopher Walken and Don't Fear the Reaper?
  • Deleted user 18 February 2008 16:17:45
    Tiger_Walts wrote:

Had the pleasure on helping out on one of those. Shame Detalion closed, although I believe a few of them moved onto The Witcher. Great music on Schizm - but go for the DVD version if you can get it. It's leaps and bounds ahead of the CD version.

@Tiger - I can't listen to that tune seriously anymore since, funnily enough, Christopher Walken and the SNL crew riffed on it! NEEDS MORE COWBELL!
  • Tiger_Walts 18 Feb 2008 16:36:58 16,674 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    squarejawhero wrote:
    Tiger_Walts wrote:

Had the pleasure on helping out on one of those. Shame Detalion closed, although I believe a few of them moved onto The Witcher. Great music on Schizm - but go for the DVD version if you can get it. It's leaps and bounds ahead of the CD version.

@Tiger - I can't listen to that tune seriously anymore since, funnily enough, Christopher Walken and the SNL crew riffed on it! NEEDS MORE COWBELL!

"You'll all be wearing gold-plated daipers." :D
  • pjmaybe 18 Feb 2008 16:38:30 70,666 posts
    Seen 11 years ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    I met Rand and Robin Miller once.

Tedious pair of bearded egg-stained fuckwits.
  • Deleted user 18 February 2008 17:53:30
    pjmaybe wrote:
    I met Rand and Robin Miller once.

Tedious pair of bearded egg-stained fuckwits.

Aw, c'mon, elaborate. ;)

One thing's for sure the company seems to have really, really lost its way. Comes from investing in a rather too overeager fanbase, I feel.
  • BravoGolf Moderator 18 Feb 2008 17:55:23 12,778 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I'd like to play Myst. What's the best one to play, that still looks good?
  • BravoGolf Moderator 18 Feb 2008 17:55:36 12,778 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    And doesn't require the most commitment?
  • Deleted user 18 February 2008 17:59:09
    HAHAA!

Well, Myst IV is the "baby Myst". Aside from one idiotic puzzle it's pretty easy.

Myst V requires quite a bit of lateral thinking and linked puzzles between each Age. I quite like it and there's a nice twist at the end, it does show itself up as the rushed effort it was in places though, unfortunately. Some great enviroments, it has to be said.

Riven is the deepest and not a light game by any means by themes or by puzzles.

Meanwhile, I just looked out the window here in North London and the sunset is incredible... hmm... gonna start up Myst V again!
  • JayPee 18 Feb 2008 18:00:45 1,490 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Whichever the myst game on the xbox1 was, jeez the 3d quicktimeVR backgrounds and the camera movement made me want to hurl. I have no problem with 1st person shooters, but for some reason that game gave me a headache within about 10 minutes, and feel mildly sick thereafter.

That experience has sort of put me off for life.

Oh and the fact that it was bitchingly hard at times, and mostly came down to the fact that you had to pull something that was so tiny and obscure in a certain location, that I just thought was bad game design.

I think it was Myst III: Exile /bleugh
  • Deleted user 18 February 2008 18:01:23
    /found Exile easy

/runs ;)
  • JayPee 18 Feb 2008 18:03:50 1,490 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    squarejawhero wrote:
    /found Exile easy

/runs ;)
    The puzzles were mostly easy, it was when there was a switch that was in such an abstract place that had me going round an island over and over (and that camera view -eugh).
  • Deleted user 18 February 2008 18:06:37
    It was kinda the first of its kind. I can see what you're getting at about the camera, it felt too "close up" which gave a fish-eye appearence.

Great music, though.
  • BravoGolf Moderator 19 Feb 2008 09:25:11 12,778 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I might get Myst 5 then, cheers. Is there much of a story to it?
  • Deleted user 19 February 2008 10:42:18
    Yes, lots. May be worth looking up the D'ni and Yeesha though, whilst trying to avoid spoilers, so you know how it works.
  • Deleted user 25 November 2010 10:48:57
    Post deleted
  • neilka 16 Sep 2020 19:28:14 23,544 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    It's back again again, this time in VR!

• Malek86 16 Sep 2020 20:44:14 10,511 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Again again again.

What I really want is a 3D version of the original Myst, with its Macromedia look and all.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.