Following Cancer Page 83

• pk1980 4 May 2018 18:01:54 1,163 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Sorry to hear your news. Wish you and Mrs Chip all best.
  • quadfather 4 May 2018 18:26:04 33,789 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @drhcnip

Sorry to hear it man. Hope it goes the best way it can
  • drhcnip 4 May 2018 18:34:50 6,206 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    cheers, chaps! at least there are options at the moment, plenty of people get the news that there is no option....got to keep positive and carry on
  • captain-Snufkin 4 May 2018 19:05:31 764 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    True. Sadly TotalBiscuit has run out of treatment options.
  • mothercruncher 4 May 2018 20:29:54 15,812 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Damn, keep keeping on drhcnip 😕
  • pk1980 26 Aug 2018 21:39:36 1,163 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Sorry for the bump. Hope everyone posting about themselves or loved ones are in a positive place.

Tuesday will be a year since everything went to shit. The beginning of the end I guess.

Struggling to deal with it already. Seeing photos from a year ago on what would have been something very different to what it became.

Think the hardest part is that everything is becoming a year, that seems an awful long time.
  • Khanivor 26 Aug 2018 21:47:35 43,953 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    /hug
  • Frogofdoom 26 Aug 2018 21:52:25 11,706 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Did you ever get any counseling pk, you had a pretty traumatic time and I know it sounds stupid but you can end up with a form of PTSD from things like this.
  • pk1980 26 Aug 2018 21:56:22 1,163 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    No, the priest offered at the funeral. Rightly or wrongly that's not me, I keep things inside and try to deal with them.

Edit: and vodka

Edited by pk1980 at 21:57:05 26-08-2018
  • monkehhh 26 Aug 2018 22:03:55 5,046 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    So sorry pk. There are lots of people out there who will work through things with you if you change your mind.
  • Frogofdoom 26 Aug 2018 22:04:42 11,706 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I am very much the same but a few years back I had counselling for a few issues I was going through and it was great, like your brain got to take a massive shit once a week.

Not saying you should, but if it ever feels too much then don't rule it out as it can be great.
  • pk1980 26 Aug 2018 22:15:45 1,163 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I'm have had counseling before. For other reasons. It didn't quite work then.

It might do now, I'm not saying it wouldn't, but guess dealing with things myself is the easy way for me.

I will get through the next few months some how. Will be hard I know that already.

But thank you for your response
  • Jono62 26 Aug 2018 22:35:04 21,703 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Sorry to hear that, PK. I'm always available if you want a chat or a drink.

Doing a half marathon in October (my first) and I'm running for cancer research to hopefully help FCUTA.
  • captain-Snufkin 27 Aug 2018 08:21:08 764 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    Coming up to a year since my mother died of lung cancer. The suckiest part is she was only 60, which increasingly seems fairly youmg with improved health care, had retired early for a year or two and was enjoying life, in perfect health apart from that. Highly intelligent with loads of interests - she wasn't one of these boring fuckers who sat and watched TV all day. She should have had another ten or twenty years mosying about after working 40 years, but had to endure horrendous pain and die.

TBH it's left me not that impressed with life in general. It can be cruel and just shit.

Anyway, have a nice day!

Edited by captain-Snufkin at 08:42:39 27-08-2018
  • quadfather 27 Aug 2018 08:30:40 33,789 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    pk1980 wrote:
    No, the priest offered at the funeral. Rightly or wrongly that's not me, I keep things inside and try to deal with them.

Edit: and vodka
    I know you've said you've already had counseling and prefer to internally deal with it (as I normally do) and when I went through my dad's death and mums loss to Alzheimer's at the same time, I managed to internally deal with it.

However, I could only get so far with it, and I had something 'stuck' in my mind which stopped all progress of moving forward.

Eventually I went to a counselor and it turns out that I myself had put a block in my head, not the things that had happened directly. It took just 4 sessions for me to see this, but when it 'clicked' and I understood what I was doing, the feeling of realisation and perspective was overwhelming and it was such a valuable lesson to learn - I would have happily paid £1000 for those 4 lessons.

When it's such a traumatic event, your mind goes above and beyond normal measures and closes things down because you're simply not ready for them. Takes a certain mindset to process these events when you're ready. I don't think I would have got where I am today without the counselor.

Each to their own and in everything, but the way you typed your update, I can almost feel the 'stuck' thing in your head acting out it's routine.
  • dominalien 27 Aug 2018 10:13:12 9,020 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Counselling can be unbelievably effective.

Though I also very intimately know the other side of the coin, where you're stuck in a very deep rut and deeply convinced that's where you belong and should never come back out.
  • Fake_Blood 17 Sep 2018 23:22:50 9,209 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Well fuck. My dad has lung cancer.
    Heís been having hart palpitations for a while, when he said to the cardiologist that he felt a tightness in his chest sometimes he asked how long itíd been since he had a chest x-ray. That was last week, they saw something on the x-ray which lead to a CT scan today. They are doing a biopsy tomorrow and further scans this week.

He 67, but the kicker is we lost our mom to this 14 years ago so we are very aware of what the implications are. We donít know what stage heís at yet, or even if it spread to the brain or something.

Trying to not go through all scenarios, but it very much feels like opening an old wound.
  • ZuluHero 18 Sep 2018 00:17:40 7,088 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Oh man, that's rough. Really sorry to hear that. Here's hoping there are some treatment options available for him.
  • JamboWayOh 18 Sep 2018 00:19:40 11,267 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Sorry to hear that man. God I hate seeing this thread bumped.
  • captain-Snufkin 18 Sep 2018 01:06:36 764 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    Post deleted
  • THFourteen 18 Sep 2018 05:22:55 50,968 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Fake_Blood

:-(

Sorry to hear this mate. Fingers crossed for the best possible result from the biopsy.
  • Frogofdoom 18 Sep 2018 07:15:20 11,706 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Hang in there mate, we will all be about if you need to vent.
  • GuybrushFreepwood 18 Sep 2018 07:22:52 521 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    Sorry to see this thread bumped and sorry to hear your news. I hope the tests give the best possible result.
  • Fake_Blood 21 Sep 2018 13:07:29 9,209 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Thanks for the comments guys.
    Thoroughly bricking it right now, we get the results in around 7 tonight.
    Biopsy was rough, they only sedated his throat a bit and they fucking stick a needle in your lung so obviously it sucks.
    We did get reminded how good medical care is here, the people have all been very nice, things seem to be moving along rather swiftly (they saw something on an x-ray Thursday last week, scan first thing on Monday, biopsy on Wednesday, results on Friday).
    So yes, I need to keep my mind off things for another 5 hours or so.
    Is there anything more futile than not trying to think about something?
  • captain-Snufkin 21 Sep 2018 14:04:27 764 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    No point in speculating till all results are in. They do move fast though is one good thing. I think my mother was in surgery within a month of diagnosis - It wouldn't have got much better going private. The weird thing was getting antibiotics for longer than a week from the gp surgery was a mamoth task, they've been given stupid guidelines. Had to almost threaten legal action before we got them.

Edited by captain-Snufkin at 14:15:12 21-09-2018
  • JonFE 21 Sep 2018 15:43:17 1,885 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Sorry to hear the news, Fake_Blood, one can only hope the test results are the best possible under the circumstances.
  • GuybrushFreepwood 21 Sep 2018 21:42:11 521 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    Just wishing you and your dad the best from his results. Been checking the forum on and off since you posted. Take care.
  • Fake_Blood 21 Sep 2018 23:40:57 9,209 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Okay so itís not all bad. Thereís a 30mm thing in his right lung, they think itís the primary, but weíll have to wait for a PET scan next week. Thereís nothing in his brain, which was the main worry, they scanned that.

Theyíll probably remove one of the 3 lobes of his right lung, followed by chemo.

Iím too tired to look it up but my dad said itís large cell and not small cell which was good news somehow?

The scan may give more bad news, but I was expecting the absolute worst so Iím slightly relieved.

Dad is doing alright all things considered. Itís an incredible mindfuck because weíve been through this before, but physically itís not like heís coughing or anything, I mean he went biking just last weekend. He just went to the cardiologist because he had an irregular heartbeat, they did a chest xray because he said sometimes he felt slightly out of breath.

Thanks for the positive thoughts everyone, it means a lot.
    Time for a drink now.
  • Fake_Blood 21 Sep 2018 23:46:54 9,209 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Just realised that thereís nothing in his brain sounds stupid. I speak dutch and Iím exhausted.
  • Khanivor 22 Sep 2018 00:49:01 43,953 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Sounds like things are more positive than you were worried about. Good. I hope your dad and you get through all this as well as possible.

Donít let the stress get to you, fella...

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.