Following Cancer Page 84

• GuybrushFreepwood 22 Sep 2018 07:58:51 502 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    Seems wrong to say 'I'll glad the news was as good as it was ' but sounds like it's treatable and they have a plan. It's bloody good news is not spread to the brain.

Hope you've all managed some sleep now.
  • JonFE 22 Sep 2018 08:38:38 1,882 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    It seems you caught it early and sometimes that makes a difference. Stay strong and positive, Fake_Blood, all the best to your dad and you.
  • ZuluHero 22 Sep 2018 08:49:49 7,080 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Seems like relatively positive news given some outlooks. Here's hoping he responds well to treatment. Try and stay positive too and look after yourself.

Take care fella. All the best to your dad and family too.
  • Fake_Blood 2 Oct 2018 11:09:35 9,200 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Hey everyone,
    Two weeks have passed and my dad went through a bunch of tests, including a PET scan which would point out if this fucker had spread to other parts, and it looks like itís just the one in his right lung. Itís kind of between two lobes so they might end up removing 2 of the 3 lobes, but they are telling us that he will be able to live normally after, and even could go on bike rides, which he loves to do. The op is scheduled in two weeks, they wont have to open his chest and he should be home after a week or so.
    It is pretty close to a gland which they will do a biopsy on during the op, which will determine how much they cut away. So they canít say what stage heís in till after the operation.
    This will also determine if he needs chemo or not, and there is talk of immuno therapy, which seems like a better solution than just pouring poison down his vains.

Personally I have taken some time off work, Iím a field service engineer in the BeNelux, we used to have a team of 5 engineers, but 3 of our guys left in the past year, which means Iíve been working 60 hour weeks for 10 months now. Iíve been close to breaking for a while and this cancer thing was kind of the final drop for me.

Iím looking for a new job, I think I might apply for a job at a computer store near me. Iíve always been into pc hardware and at least Iíll know at what time I get home in the evenings.

Also, thanks for the replies. This is a crazy place at times, but this thread shows that random internet folk care, and that is pretty awesome.
  • Frogofdoom 2 Oct 2018 11:16:36 11,588 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    This is positive news, very happy for you mate. Also fuck that job off asap, you don't live to work.

This place may be crazy sometimes but that's only because it doesn't put up with idiots, most of us are a caring bunch :)
  • Load_2.0 2 Oct 2018 11:18:01 28,571 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Wishing your Dad all the best!

Completely understand your decision, it's easy to get locked into a really stressful work situation and making a change like that is never easy. The temptation is just to soldier on stoically when it's actually doing you a lot of damage. Better to keep your health and sanity intact.
  • Load_2.0 2 Oct 2018 11:18:02 28,571 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Wishing your Dad all the best!

Completely understand your decision, it's easy to get locked into a really stressful work situation and making a change like that is never easy. The temptation is just to soldier on stoically when it's actually doing you a lot of damage. Better to keep your health and sanity intact.
  • JamboWayOh 2 Oct 2018 12:14:45 11,134 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Frogofdoom wrote:
    This is positive news, very happy for you mate. Also fuck that job off asap, you don't live to work.

This place may be crazy sometimes but that's only because it doesn't put up with idiots, most of us are a caring bunch :)
    I can only echo what Frog says that is positive news indeed and I can't stress how much you need to look after yourself, like Frog says life shouldn't be where you live to work, no fucking way.

However I disagree that Frog is a caring man. It's all lie. LIES.
  • ZuluHero 2 Oct 2018 13:54:25 7,080 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Sounds really promising, here's hoping for the best outcome. Been reading abit about immune therapy, sadly a friend of mine who isn't doing so well isn't eligible (wrong type) but those who can seems like a much better way to treat.

Those working hours are insane, cut that nonsense out as soon as you are able, and spend time with your dad and family.

My own father died 14 years ago yesterday and although I have no regrets, nothing left unsaid et al, I do miss him and would have loved to have seen him beat his illness and still have him with me today.

Keep us posted and try to take care of yourself as well. We'll be here to listen no matter what.
  • THFourteen 2 Oct 2018 16:08:49 50,896 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Fake_Blood

Good luck mate hope things go well for him.

Iíve always wanted to take my dad to a football match. Heís not really into that sort of thing (heís a pretty traditional old school Indian). I must do it this season. Parents get old before you realise, heís 70 this year.
  • Frogofdoom 2 Oct 2018 16:22:15 11,588 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @JamboWayOh I said most of us, I didn't put myself into the group. According to a certain someone I am one of the forum assholes so I shall wear that as a badge of pride :D

Also do it TH, due to circumstances I didn't speak to my mum for many years until she was diagnosed with cancer and I went to see her. Can never get those years back and they weigh heavy on me even though the situation wasn't of my doing. Don't leave yourself with any regret no matter how small they are. Get him a ticket and have that day as the memory will be with you way longer than the person.

Edited by Frogofdoom at 16:24:48 02-10-2018
  • Dougs 2 Oct 2018 18:31:51 87,948 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    THFourteen wrote:
    @Fake_Blood

Good luck mate hope things go well for him.

Iíve always wanted to take my dad to a football match. Heís not really into that sort of thing (heís a pretty traditional old school Indian). I must do it this season. Parents get old before you realise, heís 70 this year.
    Block 6 beckons imo
  • Dougs 2 Oct 2018 18:37:35 87,948 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    And good luck @fake. Hope it goes as well as it can
  • drhcnip 2 Oct 2018 18:46:37 6,206 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Fake_Blood

hope all works out ok, pal - best of luck with it!

and this thread, on the whole, has been awesomely supportive to me - immunotherapy looks like the next line of treatment for mrshcnip as the first line, sutent/sutinib - a tki, doesn't look like it's working...will update more next week as she's had a barrage of scans today with a follow up appt next tuesday...and bugger the job - if i could have, i would have - other things are more important so, if you can do so, do...i spent 4 months or so off work basically being a carer for her and my suicidal daughter and regretted the fact i had to return...
  • pk1980 2 Oct 2018 19:22:00 1,163 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Fake_Blood sounds like positive news which is great. Best wishes to you and your dad.
  • JonFE 2 Oct 2018 19:45:56 1,882 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I'll sound like an echo, best of luck to your dad and you...

...also, this thread is a real gem, even if my heart sinks a little every time I see it bumped...
  • Fake_Blood 2 Oct 2018 21:18:37 9,200 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    drhcnip wrote:
    @Fake_Blood

hope all works out ok, pal - best of luck with it!

and this thread, on the whole, has been awesomely supportive to me - immunotherapy looks like the next line of treatment for mrshcnip as the first line, sutent/sutinib - a tki, doesn't look like it's working...will update more next week as she's had a barrage of scans today with a follow up appt next tuesday...and bugger the job - if i could have, i would have - other things are more important so, if you can do so, do...i spent 4 months or so off work basically being a carer for her and my suicidal daughter and regretted the fact i had to return...
    It's the waiting for results that is very hard imo.
    Like last night, they called my dad at 5pm to tell him he had to be in the hospital at 8:30pm to hear the results, we were all bricking it because it sounded like "you need to get here right NOW". So when my dad called at 9:05pm to tell me what was up I was shaking like a leaf.
    Like seriously, the psychological aspects of this thing are terrible, for everyone concerned.
  • drhcnip 2 Oct 2018 21:48:33 6,206 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    yup - it's harder in some ways being the close relative as it's totally out of your hands yet you still get to see the person suffer - i feel so helpless and hopeless sometimes...if it's a set date for results we're not too bad, it's the 'we may well ring you once we have the results' waiting syndrome we hate...which is where we are now....;)

though it was refreshing to go to the oncologist because they basically hoped they had plans for reducing the spread of the mets - when we received the initial news of the spread to the liver in urology, they basically made it sound like she'd be lucky to see out the year.....
  • GuybrushFreepwood 2 Oct 2018 21:56:44 502 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    Hoping for the best for your dad mate.
  • Fake_Blood 27 Nov 2018 19:32:28 9,200 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Update time.
    My dad is doing fine, the operation was a month ago, they "only" had to cut out one lobe of his right lung. They used a robot called DaVinci to do the operation, so he woke up with only 4 tiny (extra) holes in his body, after a week he was cleared to go home. First week at home he was doing okay, after that he felt really tired and he developed an itchy cough. He got some meds but wasn't taking them, saying they gave him headaches and that he couldn't go to the toilet because of them. I was able to convince him to take them anyway, and the cough is gone now. I think it was basically just a normal cold or something. He's been to the pulmonologist 3 times now, his lung volume went from 4 liters to 3.5 , so that's not too bad.
    Next Thursday he's starting chemotherapy. It's going to be a heavy dose the first week, a lighter one the week after, and then a week off to recuperate, he has to do 4 of those cycles.

The evening before the operation the doctors told us that they were first going to look inside and if they found some nasty stuff that didn't show up on the scans they would close him back up and do the chemotherapy first. Right after the operation the doctor called my brother to tell us that they did go through with the operation, tears of joy and all that.

On a personal level, I took a month off from work on medical leave, during that month our general manager got fired, so there's a new boss in town. After I was back for two weeks, my supervisor took me aside and told me the higher ups wanted to kick me out, but I had been performing very well during those two weeks so they'll keep me on board.

What they don't know is that I've been sending out CV's for about a month, and I had a job interview last week that went very well. Both HR and my possible new boss want me on board, they emailed me today saying the board of directors need to agree (it's for a hospital, bureaucracy and all that), they have a meeting next week, and I should know by the end of next week.

tl;dr dads fine, they cut out a part of his lung, chemotherapy starts soon, very likely new job for me
  • Dougs 27 Nov 2018 19:36:02 87,948 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Great to have some (relatively) good news in this thread. Onwards, good luck
  • Frogofdoom 27 Nov 2018 19:40:56 11,588 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Heart sinks every time I see this thread, glad it's some better news than usual and good luck with the job too :)
  • captain-Snufkin 27 Nov 2018 19:47:29 764 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    Unfortunately the exact opposite happened with us - they looked inside and decided not to operate. I kind of thought if you've gone through the initial trauma of surgery, you may as well go ahead even if you don't get it all in one go. I suppose they know what they're doing though

Fantastic that the surgery went through though. The relief was probably indescribable.
  • captain-Snufkin 27 Nov 2018 20:02:30 764 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    From what I've read life expectancy shoots up dramatically after successful surgery. I mean cancer is cancer and sucks and there's always the threat of it reoccuring, but successful treatment of lung cancer is rare, but an added 10 15 20 years when you're 67 is not bad.
  • Fake_Blood 27 Nov 2018 20:02:55 9,200 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Well the doctors said that statistics show that it is better to do the chemotherapy first in those cases, but I guess the laymanís opinion is no, cut this thing out asap. Itís pure psychological trauma for everyone involved though. Itís made me realise that I either need to ge see a therapist, or give up the single life again, because talking to friends and family isnít cutting it.
  • JamboWayOh 27 Nov 2018 20:03:54 11,134 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Frogofdoom wrote:
    Heart sinks every time I see this thread, glad it's some better news than usual and good luck with the job too :)
    So much this.
  • GuybrushFreepwood 27 Nov 2018 20:17:44 502 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    Dougs wrote:
    Great to have some (relatively) good news in this thread. Onwards, good luck
    +1 My heart sank when I saw this thread bumped. Hope the news continues to be positive.
  • magicpanda 27 Nov 2018 20:43:30 14,826 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Saw this thread pop up. I wish I had happier news but we said goodbye to mum in early October.

I can't even begin to express in words how it is to watch someone die but as far as these things go it was peaceful, we were by her side and we got to say goodbye. We managed to get my Dad over to the hospice in the final hours, he had a stroke some time ago, he's all there in his head but cannot express his thoughts and it broke me watching him say goodbye.

I've never had to to grieve for someone so close before but we were all in agreement that we think a lot of it got processed in the year and half before she died and at the end we were glad it was over for her.

If anyone wants advice on anything related to this I'm 100% up to answer any questions or to talk.
  • magicpanda 27 Nov 2018 20:45:18 14,826 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Fake_Blood The lobectomy is definitely a really good sign. PM if I can help or if you have any questions.
  • Load_2.0 27 Nov 2018 21:38:55 28,571 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    You have been through the wringer MP. Can't imagine how that must have been.

Hope you have some better days ahead.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.