Following Horror Games Page 58

• quadfather 5 Mar 2021 11:46:52 38,797 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Roddy100

I've been tempted by resident evil 0 again but then I keep remembering about the item management and it immediately puts me off again :/
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 5 Mar 2021 12:10:19 18,200 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I remember thinking it was better than I thought it would be last time I played it (5 years ago maybe) but I think more than any other Resi game youíve got to be prepared to do nothing in a hurry.

Iím not sure I have the free time for gaming to have mini play sessions just for item management and ferrying things back and forth like I did back then.
  • wuntyate 5 Mar 2021 12:28:26 17,204 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    mega-inLive wrote:
    F.E.A.R.
    I think you might like this game , it's quite old, but at the time it made me scared.
    This has really made me want to dig it out again and setup the 360. Bloody loved FEAR. Claustrophobic and unsettling as hell. And the second one. Third one can sod off though.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 5 Mar 2021 17:06:23 18,200 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Is Carrion ever coming to Playstation?
  • Roddy100 6 Mar 2021 02:06:55 1,085 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    RE0 completed. I'm shocked that I finished it to be honest. Both character's health was dangerously low during the final confrontation and I only had just enough ammo. Final play time was just over 9 hours.

Having completed it, I do think it has merit but the frustration factor weighs it down so heavily. Both characters could've had at least two more inventory slots, and even then it would be tough.

It's at least an interesting curiosity and shows just how far we've come with RE7 and the recent remakes.

I'm hanging out for a PS4 RE VIII demo. Wonder when that'll drop?

Edited by Roddy100 at 02:10:44 06-03-2021
  • Trent_Steel 11 Mar 2021 00:49:46 173 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Playing RE7 just now and canít help but feel it would have been better had they gone full walking simulator on it.

Just past the garage scene and in a section where the dad is patrolling around and itís just neither scary nor fun.

Alien Isolation got this right a few years earlier (or at least it got it right for about half the game).
  • Malek86 11 Mar 2021 04:51:28 12,086 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Trent_Steel the first couple hours are pretty much walking simulator mode, it's bad but it does get better after the first boss fight, once the real game starts rolling and you are free to explore the house.

It's never scary though. That part doesn't change.
  • Roddy100 11 Mar 2021 06:43:33 1,085 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I thought RE7 was excellent from beginning to end. And playing alone in a darkened room, the general atmosphere was quite unnerving.

I guess it's not for everyone, but I loved it.
  • Trent_Steel 11 Mar 2021 09:50:31 173 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Malek86 wrote:
    @Trent_Steel the first couple hours are pretty much walking simulator mode, it's bad but it does get better after the first boss fight, once the real game starts rolling and you are free to explore the house.

It's never scary though. That part doesn't change.
    So far itís only the walking simulator parts I like! Itís the clunky menus and resource management I find a drag. Feels like a 90s relic but I suppose resource management is a mainstay of the series so I canít really complain.

I didnít get on too well with the RE2 remake either. Loved the first few hours, then found myself around the area with the garage / dogs, no ammo and no way to get any and just left it.

Really want a scary horror fix so might give the Amnesia Collection a go, or replay the first half of Alien Isolation.
  • Wayne 11 Mar 2021 11:01:32 3,626 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Was RE7 scary? There was definitely scary moments. But what it done better was tension and creating an unsettling atmosphere.
    I fins with any horror game, you NEED to playing alone in a dark room, or it just kills it. I see people streaming horror games where two of them are sitting playing the game and chatting away to each other, and that just seems like the least scary thing ever.
  • quadfather 11 Mar 2021 11:15:15 38,797 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Are we talking resi 7 in vr here?
  • wuntyate 11 Mar 2021 11:23:01 17,204 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I thought the beginning hour thing was far more scary than the main game. It was spookier.

That said the main game was scary in a different way. Beginning hour was more haunted house scary. The main game was more Evil Dead scary, where the fear comes from the terror of being assaulted by a fucking indestructable demonic looking psychopath, but because of that, the adrenaline was up and the fear drops away.

It's a balance that horror games struggle to get right. The real fear comes from the "what the fuck was that over there", and the tentative steps through a locale. Once combat kicks off, no matter how mental or disgusting it is, because you're all "fight or flight" the fear factor goes significantly. Films are the same.

The likes of FEAR (mentioned earlier) always seemed to get a good balance. Combat was mental and exciting yet there was always creepy parts inbetween where it was just you in the dark, with glimpses of Alma and weird sound effects going on.

FEAR 2 did the same and (as it seems for me with games with a "2" after) I thought it did scares better as well as the combat.

Edited by wuntyate at 11:26:35 11-03-2021
  • quadfather 11 Mar 2021 11:36:54 38,797 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah, maybe, but are we still talking resi 7 in vr or not? Because I regularly shat my pants in that version
  • wuntyate 11 Mar 2021 11:57:44 17,204 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    If you shit your pants in VR do you shit your pants in real life?
  • quadfather 11 Mar 2021 12:58:25 38,797 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The anus cannot live without the shitting.
  • quadfather 11 Mar 2021 12:58:40 38,797 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm sorry.
  • wuntyate 11 Mar 2021 13:10:59 17,204 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    If an anus shits and no one is around to smell it, does it shit?
  • quadfather 11 Mar 2021 19:09:53 38,797 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    These are the questions
  • Cappy 12 Mar 2021 22:24:16 14,309 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    If it involves cack filled pants being thrown over the fence into somebody else's garden. yes.
  • wuntyate 12 Mar 2021 23:23:05 17,204 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Was that you? I kept them, I hope they weren't your sunday pants.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 17 Mar 2021 20:13:46 18,200 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    That new Mundaun game looks interesting with its creepy vibe and folk horror influence

and PS2 graphics and adventure game puzzles
  • Cappy 20 Mar 2021 17:46:27 14,309 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    wuntyate wrote:
    Was that you? I kept them, I hope they weren't your sunday pants.
    Um... Sorry. It's like a live hand grenade, you've got to throw it before it detonates.
  • Cappy 20 Mar 2021 18:30:07 14,309 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I finally got to give Daymare 1998 a try. I originally bought a copy last October but it got pinched in the post.

Despite being titled Daymare 1998, it's more like a PS3 game. I guess Daymare 2007 didn't hark back to classic Resident Evil 2 the same way.

It's servicable, it leans so heavily on Resident Evil, it's like a supermarket own brand Umbrella Corps.

You start off in the shoes of a gas mask guy not called Hunk and establish your evil credentials pretty quickly, a tutorial forces you to put a bullet in the brain of the first survivor you find. Suuuure the rescue team are on the way... Just close your eyes for a bit. Don't open them... It will spoil the surprise. No witnesses, they knew the risks, everybody is expendable, orders from the top.

A contamination event has killed 99% of the personnel in the facility your team has entered, corpses litter the facility, you're never quite sure which ones are going to wake up feeling grumpy. First time around it's quite tense it's like a Resident Evil game with nothing but floor zombies in places.

Daymare's claim to fame is realistic ammo managment. If you reload the way you do in every other game you'll be inserting a fresh magazine and dropping the current one. So you'll need to adapt to bullet counting since early on you only have two pistol magazines. You can stop to reload magazines but this is not something you want to do in the middle of combat. Rather you want to 'slow' reload which switches magazines, then hopefully reload them later when you've got some me time.

It's also more puzzle heavy than any Resident Evil game post Zero, it's not quite classic survival horror, the controls and format are last decade (the graphics too) but it's probably of interest to gamers looking for something a bit like Resident Evil, but not quite.
  • Wayne 20 Mar 2021 18:48:15 3,626 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Cappy That reload mechanic sounds really interesting and sounds like it really suits survival horror.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 20 Mar 2021 19:30:35 18,200 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Did one of the early Battlefields do that with the reloading too?

I remember something I played a lot of in the early 00s doing it
  • quadfather 20 Mar 2021 19:36:34 38,797 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Sounds pretty interesting
  • Cappy 21 Mar 2021 21:01:01 14,309 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:
    Did one of the early Battlefields do that with the reloading too?

I remember something I played a lot of in the early 00s doing it
    Possibly, I'm not really a player of FPS games. In the context of a survival horror game it is somewhat different though. You start the game with just one magazine in your sub-machine gun and one in your pistol. The evil corporation that employs you must be skinflints of the highest order.

Until you find extra magazines you can't even reload, the game won't let you remove a magazine without something to take it's place, so if you're not scouring the environment for items you could screw yourself from the start. It feels really different, you have to really be conscious of how many bullets you have in the current magazine. The zombies are rather cunning they shamble toward you like a slow zombie but tend to pick up speed for a grapple surprisingly fast on the final stretch. You always think you've got time to switch magazines. You don't.

I might have to restart the game anyway. I lost too much health on the last boss fight and I just can't seem to make it to the next checkpoint on the sliver of health I have left.
  • creepiest-lizard 21 Mar 2021 21:42:48 2,589 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Anybody play the new Amnesia? Got it a few weeks ago and still haven't got around to it yet..
  • docrob 21 Mar 2021 22:02:35 1,776 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Wayne The reload mechanic in HL:Alyx would work amazingly well for this sort of game, though maybe you really need VR for it to work. Having to manually eject a magazine, fumble for a new one, slam it home and cock the gun is heart-pounding during a firefight.
  • DUFFMAN5 5 May 2021 09:32:11 26,770 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Hi all any thoughts on Visage looks good in the trailer and seems to get mainly positive reviews. It is £29 on LIVE
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.