Following Horror Games Page 59

• wuntyate 5 May 2021 09:39:28 17,204 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @DUFFMAN5 It looks amazing to be honest. I've had my eye on it for a while but I'm waiting until it drops in price. Seems to have reviewed pretty well as well.

If it drops in price or not by Autumn I'll definitely buy it to play through the dark nights. These light nights are no good for horror games.

Which is funny considering I'm about to dive into RE8 but some things can't be put off.
  • DUFFMAN5 5 May 2021 10:27:38 26,770 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @wuntyate
    👍
  • quadfather 5 May 2021 16:36:36 38,797 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    creepiest-lizard wrote:
    Anybody play the new Amnesia? Got it a few weeks ago and still haven't got around to it yet..
    Thank you for reminding me of this. Even if it was 2 months ago. I still need to fire this up
  • quadfather 28 May 2021 12:10:32 38,797 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    And I still haven't fired up the new Amnesia.

What I did find though, on ebay for £20, was this -

https://photos.app.goo.gl/8MKu6VXoyNewKPeZ9

Be good to do some slicing again
  • Cappy 28 May 2021 13:06:20 14,309 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Did the first 2 Dead Space games really set you back £20? They sold in the Millions. I've started to notice price creep for horror games on practically all platforms irrespective of how well the game reviewed, even the PS3 Alone in the Dark is above £10 now and I'm kicking myself for not buying it when sellers would struggle to even give it away.

It's still an appalling game but the buy in price is now a bit too high for something you might just want to pick up and try for a bit.

BTW, you really should have paid the extra Pound or so to get the 'Limited Edition' Dead Space 2, you get the full version of Dead Space Extraction on the disc as a free bonus.

Edited by Cappy at 13:07:39 28-05-2021
  • quadfather 28 May 2021 13:12:17 38,797 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Cappy

It was £20 for both of them - same seller selling both at the same time. I thought £20 was a pretty good price for both.

Yeah, everything seems to be creeping up pricewise. The fatal frame series is now stupidly expensive. @Wunty - send me those project zero's back!!

Shit, I forgot about extraction! Balls. Never mind.

Do you mean the Inferno Alone in the Dark? I couldn't get on with that. Though I'm *still* trying to find a way to play the New Nightmare. I still have it on a dreamcast disk, and I still have my dreamcast, but I'd have to start pissing about with component/av leads to get it up and running somehow. It's dated to fuck, but I really liked it.
  • convercide 28 May 2021 13:17:40 6,469 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Alone in the Dark was janky as anything, but I remember enjoying every minute of it. It's one of those 'so bad it's good games. The driving bits were by far the worst part of the game. Still silly fun while it lasts.

Take that with a pinch of salt as the only streaming service I use is Shudder and really enjoyed Black Roses yesterday. Think I'm just a fan of shlocky horror.
  • Malek86 28 May 2021 13:19:45 12,087 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Almost wondering if I should pick up Alone in the Dark for the 360 (which never received the Inferno quality of life updates). It's often on sale on the marketplace, so I could get it cheap technically, but... you know.

It's not even backward compatible, so it would give me a reason to fire up the old 360 again.
  • quadfather 28 May 2021 13:19:51 38,797 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Do you mean the ps3 version called Inferno? I'm so used to a New Nightmare, that whenever anyone says alone in the dark, I always think it's that one they're talking about!
  • Cappy 28 May 2021 15:16:18 14,309 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    quadfather wrote:
    Do you mean the Inferno Alone in the Dark? I couldn't get on with that. Though I'm *still* trying to find a way to play the New Nightmare. I still have it on a dreamcast disk, and I still have my dreamcast, but I'd have to start pissing about with component/av leads to get it up and running somehow. It's dated to fuck, but I really liked it.
    That's the one.

I remember playing the Inferno demo way back when it first came out and not even being able to complete the tutorial section where you have to stun an enemy and then throw their body in a fire to actually kill them.

Mapping all actions of that sort to the right analogue stick made the game practically impossible to control in some parts when you're trying to use the right motion to throw a body in the fire and it also has a janky physics engine adding enertia. In real life it's straight forward enough as long as you have the brute strenth to drag a zombie but in Inferno I just couldn't get the zombies into the fire, they'd either overshoot or miss entirely.
  • quadfather 28 May 2021 15:34:33 38,797 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Cappy

I didn't buy it, but a mate had it at the time on the pc. There was a bit with a car chase or similar and my mate just rage quit in the end from the control system!

I've just stumbled onto my Dreamcast. I think I know what's coming next...
  • quadfather 28 May 2021 17:01:16 38,797 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Just fired up dead space on the ps3. Haven't played it for years. Still holds up really well and it's still got me on edge immediately! Brilliant.
  • DUFFMAN5 28 May 2021 22:10:19 26,770 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @quadfather
    Coincidentally I'm replaying on Xbox X (backwards) I was just going to get the GP points and leave, but ended up completing the first two chapters yesterday and got a cheveo into the bargain, a mere 13 years after my last one! It is a brilliant game.

I also returned to TEW, after abandoning at chapter 11, six years ago. Just started chapter 15, will continue tomorrow.
  • wuntyate 28 May 2021 22:27:44 17,204 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @quadfather its awesome man. I've still got an active play of 3 on the One on the go.
  • Malek86 29 May 2021 06:17:50 12,087 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Seems like the PC version of AITD is a mess on modern Windows, so I'm gonna wait until it goes on sale on the 360 again.
  • dominalien 29 May 2021 07:42:43 10,554 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Dead Space is lovely.

Extraction is available from the PS Store, the price isn't terrible either. There's also a demo.
  • creepiest-lizard 29 May 2021 08:01:36 2,589 posts
    Seen 31 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Can't believe nobody has talked about Song of Horror coming out on consoles yesterday.
    It came out last year on pc in separate episodes and its pretty good.
    A proper survival horror in a Silent hill vein with perma-death for your characters.

Edited by creepiest-lizard at 11:20:14 29-05-2021
  • DUFFMAN5 29 May 2021 10:48:13 26,770 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @creepiest-lizard
    I'm waiting for it (and Visage) to go down in price.

Unrelated but I completed The Evil Within yesterday, enjoyed it probably would have been better if I didn't have a 6 year gap between finishing chapter 11 and starting chapter 12! 🤔. I still think TEW2 is vastly superior,but I still enjoyed this. The Checkpoints were thought out so well, but for them, I may not have had the patience to beat some sections.

Edited by DUFFMAN5 at 10:48:41 29-05-2021
  • Cappy 29 May 2021 10:50:39 14,309 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @creepiest-lizard
    I had no idea that Song of Horror existed, it looks pretty interesting from a rapid skim through the launch trailer, if I can get hold of a physical version I'll go in blind and check it out.

It's funny how things have gone full circle, we've gone right back to having very little information on upcoming releases and word of mouth having to play a part rather than magazines and websites.
  • creepiest-lizard 29 May 2021 11:19:50 2,589 posts
    Seen 31 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Cappy
    i don't know what system you're on but I do know the physical edition for ps4 comes out on the 29th of June.
  • Malek86 30 May 2021 18:12:33 12,087 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I had my reservations at first, and I still think the Yort boss is terrible, but all the other new content in Shadow Man Remastered so far has been great and the gameplay rebalancing is just perfect. Definitely the best version of the game now.
  • Trent_Steel 4 Jun 2021 15:59:04 173 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Has anyone played Visage and if so whatís the verdict?

I think it looks great, but at 8-10 hours Iím concerned the atmosphere and scares will dull down . Apparently itís quite obtuse too.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 4 Jun 2021 17:25:44 18,204 posts
    Seen 15 seconds ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    creepiest-lizard wrote:
    Can't believe nobody has talked about Song of Horror coming out on consoles yesterday.
    A proper survival horror in a Silent hill vein with perma-death for your characters.
    I saw part of a Letís Play on PS Access and it looked interesting. Worth a play?
  • creepiest-lizard 4 Jun 2021 20:43:08 2,589 posts
    Seen 31 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:
    creepiest-lizard wrote:
    I saw part of a Letís Play on PS Access and it looked interesting. Worth a play?
    I liked it alot. You rarely get the old-school style survival horror games like Silent Hill and old Resi and this is absolutely that.
    The "monster" sections can be a bit irritating but the tension and creeping dread of when it's coming is pretty effective is it can happen at any time as it's unscripted and your characters karking it permanently adds an extra level of tension as well.
    For a pretty low budget game it looks and sounds really atmospheric as well.
    It has a lovecraftian air that I appreciate as well.
    It gets the thumbs up from me.
  • Trent_Steel 10 Jun 2021 01:22:21 173 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Been playing Visage and highly surprised itís not mentioned more often on here.

Clunky inventory and obtuse progression are obvious issues, but in the opening hours the sense of dread and terror are for me, way beyond anything Iíve experienced in any game.

Should have been more walking simulator and half the length, butbloody scary.
  • quadfather 10 Jun 2021 13:00:41 38,797 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Trent_Steel

Cheers for the heads up on this - totally missed it. Just read a few reviews. Sounds pretty hardcore scary, ala PT.

I don't mind janky inventory an controls as long as you have time to work through it, but if it has events where something is chasing you or something and you have to quickly do things, I can see that being a pain. But it definitely looks good enough to check out!
  • wuntyate 10 Jun 2021 13:02:05 17,204 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I think I'll end up biting soon as it's at least come down in price a little. Wife is out tomorrow night so I may get myself a wee horror treat. Better stock up on lager so I don't shite myself.
  • quadfather 10 Jun 2021 13:13:30 38,797 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Have you done the 3rd Amnesia game? I keep meaning to fire that up too
  • wuntyate 10 Jun 2021 13:33:11 17,204 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It didn't really appeal tbh. Just the setting etc. Same with the other amnesia, just couldn't get into them.
  • quadfather 10 Jun 2021 13:43:54 38,797 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @wuntyate

Fair enough.

WHICH REMINDS ME - PROJECT ZEROS!!!
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.