Following Horror Games Page 61

• Cappy 18 Jun 2021 14:51:36 14,359 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @quadfather

I think I'm in. I've checked the worst reviews on Metacritic, its seems the Wii U control gimmicks were not to a lot of people's liking. Obviously they're not going to be in the new versions, they might even add some extras.

Obviously there are still the issues with the characters, story and excessively linear sections, but you don't get many choices these days when it comes to classic survival horror.
  • quadfather 19 Jun 2021 13:51:47 38,984 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Cappy

Yes, true, it's certainly a case of beggars can't be choosers with horror nowadays.

I remember playing whichever one it was on the Wii u and it was actually better on the small screen as opposed to the telly if you want a smoother experience.

Thing that does my head in with fatal frame games is how slow the characters walk. But yeah, again, beggars can't be choosers.
  • Malek86 19 Jun 2021 14:50:57 12,238 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    It could be kind of interesting to finally get another Fatal Frame at 60fps after twenty years.

It's not going to make the game any better though. The story makes no sense, the combat system is the worst in the series, and the maps are too large and empty. It's not even scary. I wish we got Fatal Frame 3 Remastered instead, possibly with a first person mode.
  • quadfather 19 Jun 2021 15:51:18 38,984 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I agree with most points, but not even scary? The first one still shits me up now!
  • Malek86 19 Jun 2021 18:25:02 12,238 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @quadfather oh, the first one was creepy alright. The third one was creepy too. But the last one pretty much turned the ghosts into zombies, and it suffered for that imho.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 19 Jun 2021 18:31:13 19,729 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Iíve never played a Fatal Frame but Iíve always been curious
  • quadfather 20 Jun 2021 13:17:01 38,984 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Malek86

Ah right. Yeah the same can be said about the one where you have to home-brew your Wii. That's not much cop.

First one is the best in my eyes

Which reminds me again. WUNTY!!!
  • quadfather 20 Jun 2021 13:17:25 38,984 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @simpleexplodingmaybe

First one is worth a shot if you've never played them.
  • Malek86 20 Jun 2021 13:55:58 12,238 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Fatal Frame is... hard to get into nowadays. Even assuming you still have a PS2 or PS3, the game forces you to play with mirrored sticks in camera mode. The Xbox version fixed this, but then it's even harder to play that one (it's not compatible on Xbox 360).

The first game is also a lot more unforgiving than the sequels. Ghosts hit hard, come at you fast, and disappear into walls all the time. Resources are scarcer than in other games too. There is no infinite film, and you can only recharge some of the basic film at save points. It's pretty much the only game in the series that I'd actually call a survival horror. The next ones are much more manageable and more like action horror.

I guess FF3 was the only one that came close, with some maddeningly difficult fights and more resource management than usual. But then I'd say that was an easy game with some unfair difficulty spikes, rather than an outright hard game. Still my favorite though.

Edited by Malek86 at 14:03:17 20-06-2021
  • Cappy 1 Jul 2021 10:31:21 14,359 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Song of Horror got delayed to July, it turns out there was another quite similar title due towards the end of August; Tormented Souls.

Nothing for ages and then two third person games attempting classic style survival horror turn up. Once again it's got a touch of low budget jank about it, which fits it in with the PS2 era perfectly. This time though instead of being delayed the PS4 and Xbone versions got cancelled outright and it's PS5 etc. only. Great plan, limit it to a console that people have difficulty even finding, ignore the massive installed base of the PS4, it really needed THE POWER to run something that looks like it wouldn't trouble a PS3.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpYlL2tK9k4

It's interesting to see that what happened with JRPGs is being replicated with horror games. The likes of Square Enix largely abandoned the market, besides infrequent tentpole releases. Recent Final Fantasy games are not even recognisable as JRPGs anymore. Eventually the budget and mid tier sector took over that ceded territory, supplying the classic style turn based games instead. The same is happening with horror, the larger publishers are not interested since even selling Resident Evil numbers seems to disappoint them so the mid tier publishers are starting to fill that space. Though we had to sit through a dry decade, Microsoft needed to be kicked out of the driving seat first due to their aversion to allowing low print runs and making mid to budget tier physical releases economically unviable. Sony as market leader have no problem allowing physical releases produced in even the low 1000s at reasonable unit cost which is their only saving grace since going censorship loopy after relocating HQ.
  • quadfather 1 Jul 2021 13:33:47 38,984 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Pity about the delay.

I keep seeing rumours of Dead Space remakes too. Fingers crossed for those.

Edit - which is typical, as I recently bought 1 and 2 for the ps3, doh

Edited by quadfather at 13:34:07 01-07-2021
  • Cappy 5 Jul 2021 13:23:57 14,359 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Apparently EA are threatening to reboot/remake Dead Space.

Perhaps they might consider a remaster of the original 3 in that case. What was done to Dead Space 3 is practically impossible to remove or correct without rebuilding the combat system and game balance entirely so it exists now to cap off the story arc and not much else.

Since we recently got Mass Effect collected, maybe remasters are the new flavour of the month for EA so it's feasible, as a collection we would get a new chunk of Dead Space 2 which was previously DLC only plus a DLC only coda extending the ending of Dead Space 3.
  • quadfather 5 Jul 2021 13:32:48 38,984 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I reckon they'd be better just doing 1 and 2. 3 just *isn't right* in my head.

PS3 versions still hold up well.
  • Cappy 5 Jul 2021 13:56:37 14,359 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    The ship graveyard section of Dead space 3 was great, things start going downhill fast though...

At this point I'd just like something there as a archival physical release and people can just take or leave Dead Space 3, the stuff that's been done is just too much trouble to fix for a 'remaster'. The universal ammo would have to go, which means rebalancing and going back to being forced to experiment and use different weapons again. Which means somebody going through and making sure acceptable amounts of resources are to be found throughout the game... Which then leads to loads of extra play testing etc.

I did like the weapon crafting, the problem is that combined with universal ammo it totally breaks the game and ruins that classic Resident Evil feel, where you're constantly evaluating the utility of what you find and holding onto it for when you really need it.
  • quadfather 5 Jul 2021 17:38:34 38,984 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I can't actually remember much about number 3. I remember being disappointed though. Pity really.

Also, if anyone's interested, there's a new 7 minute trailer for the system shock remake -

https://youtu.be/vZWaCLBUCeA
  • Malek86 13 Jul 2021 13:07:25 12,238 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I don't know why I just bought AITD for the 360. Maybe because it was free with reward points, or maybe because I hate myself. Either way, I'm now obligated to try it out.
  • mrpon 13 Jul 2021 13:12:15 37,316 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Link pls.
  • wuntyate 13 Jul 2021 13:12:53 17,374 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Malek86 I saw that and considered it. Is it meant to be shit?
  • Malek86 13 Jul 2021 13:56:09 12,238 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @wuntyate apparently so. They say the controls are something else entirely. Gonna try it now and see how bad it is.
  • wuntyate 13 Jul 2021 14:18:31 17,374 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Malek86 Ha, let me know. If it's total wank I won't bother.
  • wuntyate 13 Jul 2021 14:18:52 17,374 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @quadfather Talking of horror games I'm hoping to fuck those games I posted reached you okay?
  • DUFFMAN5 13 Jul 2021 14:34:57 26,827 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Malek86 wrote:
    I don't know why I just bought AITD for the 360. Maybe because it was free with reward points, or maybe because I hate myself. Either way, I'm now obligated to try it out.
    Good luck with the poxy driving section!!!! I think the ps3 version fixed it.
  • Malek86 13 Jul 2021 16:17:17 12,238 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Finished the first two episodes. Time for an early verdict!

It's total wank. But I'll keep playing for a while longer, at least until it becomes unbearable.

Edited by Malek86 at 16:19:13 13-07-2021
  • quadfather 13 Jul 2021 16:38:49 38,984 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    wuntyate wrote:
    @quadfather Talking of horror games I'm hoping to fuck those games I posted reached you okay?
    Yes, got them now mate, cheers :)
  • wuntyate 13 Jul 2021 18:02:12 17,374 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @quadfather phew.

Hey, only a year late... Erm... Sorry.
  • Malek86 14 Jul 2021 21:01:16 12,238 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Man this game really is a turd. It's not even bad in a fun way and all that. It's just terrible. I wanted to persevere, but life is too short. I'll probably drop it very soon, unless it somehow manages to surprise me in the next chapter.

I'm pretty curious about the PS3 version now. I have no way of playing it, but I wonder what they did to supposedly make it play better, because I don't think there's any way of salvaging this crap.
  • Cappy 14 Jul 2021 21:07:28 14,359 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Go for it. Bite the bullet on the PS3 version of Alone in the Dark... So I don't have to.

The game is legendary turd if the PS3 demo was any indication, bad news though, for some reason like a lot of PS3 games, it's considerably more expensive than the 360 version.
  • Malek86 14 Jul 2021 21:22:47 12,238 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Unfortunately I don't have a PS3, so someone else will have to sacrifice himself.
  • Cappy 14 Jul 2021 21:45:50 14,359 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I'll keep an eye out for the PS3 version since I still have a working PS3 console. I'd expect the game to turn up on an AVGN episode at some point.
  • quadfather 15 Jul 2021 11:57:03 38,984 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    wuntyate wrote:
    @quadfather phew.

Hey, only a year late... Erm... Sorry.
    Haha it's cool. I can't remember where I've put them now ffs
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.