Following Horror Games Page 2

• Bulbatron 17 Mar 2008 16:04:13 956 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Got Call of Cthulhu through the post today (managed to get a second-hand copy). I will start it after I have finished F.E.A.R. Files.

I'm doing a bit rubish at F.E.A.R. Files at the moment. I'm still on Extraction Point, and I have hardly any ammo at all. I didn't have any just before I found the entrance to the subway, and I had to just leg it past that robot thing and run for the subway entrance without actually killing it!

I'll just have to be more careful. I'm playing it on the easiest setting. I wonder if this and Perseus Mandate are more difficult than the origina F.E.A.R. or whether I'm just out of practice.
  • Super_Zee 19 Mar 2008 17:22:08 2,105 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    absolutezero wrote:
    Bugger I always forget to mention Echo Night : Beyond in these threads.
    disc wrote:
    Get Echo Night: Beyond.
    Major kudos to you two - I saw this in a bargain bin and picked it up after you mentioned it in this thread. It's amazing, I love it.

I'm getting really sick of how alot of modern games are more geared towards multiplayer and this is exactly the kind of claustrophobic, gripping SP adventure that I go for. The first-person viewpoint works brilliantly and the heart-rate mechanism is great. Really makes me want to pick up a DS3 for the vibration.

I never saw it in the UK, did it even get a PAL release? Seems a massive waste if it didn't.
  • Bulbatron 31 Mar 2008 22:30:09 956 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Not doing too well on Call of Cthulhu :-( I suspect that like many people, I got as far as 'Attack of the Fishmen', then got completely ass-raped by those miserable inbreds chasing me from the hotel.

I know what to do, but I just lack to co-ordination to do all the door-locking and wardrobe moving in such a hurry. It doesn't help that half the time, I close a door, try to bolt it but I'm not looking at quite the right bit so I end up just opening it again - and I wonder if I'd be quicker just leaving the bloody doors and making straight for that last window!

Finally I make it out and into the opposite building, loose by barings in my panic, run back into the mob and get axed and shot to utter death!

Then I have to start back in the hotel.

I'm afraid I'm not really having fun with it at the moment. There's only so many times I'll repeat the same bit over and over again.

Don't take my misery to mean I think the game's crap though. I'm sure if you have the skill and co-ordination, that this game is awesome. I'm just too sucky at it, and I'm playing on the easiest setting.

EDIT: I'm passed the bit I was stuck on now.

Also, on a slightly different note. Are we still getting a demo of Condemned 2 or what? Does anybody know?
  • Bulbatron 14 Apr 2008 01:30:25 956 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Perhaps somebody can help me on Call of Cthulhu? I am at the section where I have to save Hoover before he is lowered into the molten gold. Are there any tips on shooting that miserable git who is holding him? I tried using the shotgun, but it's quite frustrating.

I didn't get the tommy gun or the other weapon because I stupidly missed them right at the beginning of the level - and it won't let me go back and get them, even if I load up a save from just inside the building at the beginning of the level. Great bit of design, that. :-(

So, any tips for the section I'm talking about? Or is there a way of starting from the biginning of the refinary level?

If not, then surely I'd have to play through the whole FUCKING game again, and I'll be FUCKED if I'm doing that. FUCKED, I tell you. FUCKED!

FUCKED!

FUCKED!

In case you're not sure, I'm really FUCKED off. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.
  • Bulbatron 14 Apr 2008 02:27:41 956 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I've done it now. The problem was that I thought you actually had to kill him, when in actual fact, after a couple of hits, he runs away (like a girl). I was watching to see when he dropped dead. I didn't realise he had actually left, I assumed he was just hiding and I couldn't see him!
  • Inquisitor Moderator 14 Apr 2008 02:35:22 14,557 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    When you've finished do you want to swap it with me for anything?

I've been after this game for a while, can't find it in the shops anymore really.

Would love to get hold of gregory horror show aswell if anyone has it. Had a chance to get it off Timmy but foolishly delayed the swap and now I believe it's gone.
  • Bulbatron 15 Apr 2008 00:48:54 956 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Stuck again. I'm on the section where you have to retrieve the red gem from the claw, and you have to do it before you go completely insane, kill yourself, then have to play the WHOLE FUCKING, CUNTING preceeding section all over again, just to get back to this one bit!

Would it have been that hard to put a poxy save point just before that section? It pisses me off because underneath all these stupid flaws(IMO), there's a really good game.

If there's anybody out there who is more intelligent than me, who can explain to me exactly what to do; how to get the red gem, then I would appreciate it.

EDIT: I've done it now. I never seem to succeed until AFTER I've made a twat of myself on the internet, whining about it.
  • Bulbatron 28 Apr 2008 13:26:52 956 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I have been playing Condemned 2 and I have a question about it. It is to do with the upgrades that you can receive, such as the ability to holster a weapon.

What I want to know is, once you have finished the game, will any upgrades you get, such as the one I mentioned earlier, be available from the beginning of future playthroughs, or will they have to be earned again each time the game is played?
  • vDoll 1 Sep 2008 21:36:16 2,380 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'm bumping this with the sole purpose of moaning about 'Attack of the Fishermen' in CoC. I've read the story, I knew it was coming, but by fucky fuck fuck fuck. I'm the same as Bulbatron was, the lack of a HUD (open door, close bolt) means I'm just as likely to open the door and be staring down a pack of stinky fishermen as I am to swifty lock it and move on.

Annoying me!

And I too managed to get across the rooftops at one point and run into the fucking mob, ha ha!

Urgh, I'm so lame. Great game though.
  • Bulbatron 16 Jul 2009 22:53:58 956 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I'm once again looking for any fun horror games. We seem to be sorely lacking in decent horror games at the moment, and so, in desperation, I've started looking into the past for my fix. Repeated here, is my list from before, with more games I have finished since then.
    Bulbatron wrote:
    Call of Cthulhu - Dark Corners of the Earth - Easy
    Alone in the Dark (2008)
    Condemned - Easy
    Condemned 2 - Easy
    Project Zero II (Xbox version with FPS view) - Easy
    The Suffering - Easy
    F.E.A.R. - Easy
    F.E.A.R. Files - Easy
    F.E.A.R. 2 - Project: Origin - Easy
    Dead Space - Easy
    BioShock - Hard (but with Vita-Chambers ON)
    The Darkness - Easy

Eternal Darkness
    Resident Evil
    Resident Evil 2 - Normal
    Resident Evil 3 - Normal
    Resident Evil - Code: Veronica X
    Resident Evil Zero - Easy
    Resident Evil Remake - Easy (might have done Normal - can't remember)
    Resident Evil 4 - Normal (including Seperate Ways and Assignment Ada)
    Resident Evil 5 - Veteran (albeit after lots of upgrading)
    Alone in the Dark - The New Nightmare
    Alone in the Dark (2008)
    ObsCure - Normal
    Silent Hill - Normal
    Silent Hill 2 - Nornal
    Silent Hill 3 - Normal
    Silent Hill 4 - Easy
    Silent Hill Origins
    Dead Rising - (72 Hour Mode and Overtime Mode)

I haven't got a PC so PC games are not an option, but if I have missed any good games, then please let me know!

As I've said, I've resorted to looking for games on past platforms! I've got Alone in the Dark 2 for PSone to play, and I've recently ordered Dracula - Resurrection, Dracula - Dark Sanctuary and Necronomicon - all the PSone (though I'll be playing them on PlayStation 2). Don't know what Necronomicon or the two Dracula games are like, but I'm getting a bit desperate. I'm also looking into ObsCure II, Haunting Ground and Clock Tower (still), but can't decide on those. Any more ideas or suggestions?
  • repairmanjack 16 Jul 2009 23:03:35 6,133 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Haunting Ground wasn't bad, actually.
    If you've got a DS then Dementium (UK edition) might be "fun".

Original Project Zero and Siren spring to mind. Oh, if you can find it there's the incredibly pervy/dodgy Michigan for PS2. Was heavily edited for the UK, but will still make your eyes pop out...
  • repairmanjack 16 Jul 2009 23:04:40 6,133 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Oh... Shadow of Memories might fulfill your criteria. Even if it doesn't, give it a shot. PSP version imminent this year, too.
  • absolutezero 16 Jul 2009 23:13:47 7,952 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Did you enjoy Obscure 1 Bulba?
  • Bulbatron 16 Jul 2009 23:21:11 956 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I'd be interested to know what people thought of Alone in the Dark in the end? After seeing the footage at E3, what are your thoughts on Alan Wake?

Also, is Rainy Woods still happening?

I'm a bit weary of Forbidden Siren because I'm not that skilled a gamer. They look amazing, but difficult. As for Shadow of Memories - that was from the same people who did Silent Hill, wasn't it? I never actually realised it was a horror game - thought in retrospect, that was pretty stupid of me.
  • Bulbatron 16 Jul 2009 23:34:50 956 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Sorry, absolutezero, somehow I missed your reply there. Yes, I did enjoy it. Never really been a fan of real-time inventories though, so that was a bit annoying, but yes, I thought Obscure 1 was a good game. Great soundtrack too.
  • Oh-Bollox 16 Jul 2009 23:39:25 6,513 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    bad09 wrote:
    On a personal note. Eternal Darkness. Really good? Funnily enough I am hunting games for my swapgame (try it fucking wicked!) and looked at that. You tube did not convince me. Can you guys?

It's excellent. Do not hesitate, even for a second.
  • Bulbatron 17 Jul 2009 00:20:44 956 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Eternal Darkness is an excellent game. It is somewhat inspired by, though not actually based on, the work of H. P. Lovecraft (as opposed to Call of Cthulhu which is actually based on his writing).

But yes, Eternal Darkness is very good.

I was one of those people for whom Alone in the Dark was spoilt by the driving sections, but I freely admit that it's partly my fault for having fairly slow reflexes and being a bit rubbish. I was okay with the black slime though - but that seemed to aggravate a lot of other people. But then, apart from one occasion, you didn't need quick reflexes to get past it.

But then having said that, I wish they had actually bothered to implement the changes for the Xbox 360 version that they introduced into the PlayStation 3 version. Sometimes, the reason for not liking something is because it isn't what you expect, so maybe I will return to Alone in the Dark at some point with my expectations adjusted accordingly.

I preferred Alone in the Dark - The New Nightmare. It may not have been the original Carnby, but it was mostly a good game and very, very atmospheric.
  • DUFFMAN5 17 Jul 2009 08:19:13 26,770 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Hi fella
    I'm also a big horror game fan, a few titles you have not got on your list are:
    Extinction (ps2)
    Cold Fear, set on a ship
    The Suffering, I thought it was an excellent game
    The Suffering 2, see above.
    All 3 games are on xbox and I'm sure are super cheap from Ebay.

Once again ED on the Cube, one of the best action/adventure/horror games you will play.
    Siren 2, improves on the first for me.
  • Blerk Moderator 17 Jul 2009 08:51:10 48,222 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Don't get Obscure II - it's horrible. I quite liked the first one, but the second game's just dismal.

Both Clock Tower 3 and Haunting Ground are pretty good. Haunting Ground is the better of the two.
  • Animal 17 Jul 2009 09:30:53 425 posts
    Seen 4 months ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Does anyone know whether the PC version of Alone in the Dark has the changes included in the PS3 version or not?
  • Deleted user 17 July 2009 09:33:19
    Dark Seed.
  • Darknight 17 Jul 2009 10:46:56 367 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    DUFFMAN5 wrote:
    Hi fella
    Extinction (ps2)

Bloody hell, I'd almost forgotten about Extinction, I remember thinking it was really under-rated when I picked it up.

And DO get Haunting Ground, especially if you play these games for the atmosphere, my first playthrough of it was one of the more tense gaming experiences of the last generation.
  • Bulbatron 18 Jul 2009 17:08:46 956 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    DUFFMAN5 wrote:
    Hi fella
    Extinction (ps2)
    Cold Fear, set on a ship
    The Suffering, I thought it was an excellent game
    The Suffering 2, see above.
    All 3 games are on xbox and I'm sure are super cheap from Ebay.

Once again ED on the Cube, one of the best action/adventure/horror games you will play.
    Siren 2, improves on the first for me.

I've got The Suffering and played The Suffering - Ties That Bind. I forgot to put them on my list. Might look for extinction though. Does The Suffering 2 work on the Xbox 360?
  • absolutezero 18 Jul 2009 17:15:23 7,952 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Avoid Cold Fear like the plague.

Whoever thought it would be a good idea to have all signs in russian apart from when you look directly at them needs killed.

Going a little further back than you might like the first Shadowman was equal parts cool and frustrating.
  • Cappy 18 Jul 2009 17:49:23 14,309 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I always wanted to give Cold Fear a try, it didn't get the best reviews and probably isn't the best of games but that's par for the course with survival horrors.

I enjoyed Shadow Man at the time on my N64 but coming back to it years later the frame rate is pretty painful, the Dreamcast or PC versions would hopefully be a bit more fluid. Thematically it hits all the right buttons for a horror game, the game design is a bit bland though and the boss fights are a joke of running around in circles trying to hit them faster than they hit you.

D for the PS1/Saturn/PC
    D2 for Dreamcast

Haven't been mentioned yet. Oh, and Juggernaut which is a bit similar to D.
  • Oh-Bollox 18 Jul 2009 18:21:20 6,513 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Cold Fear is good early on, but later it devolves into shite. Good ideas just left unexplored. Particularly liked how careful you can be, moving with a weapon aimed, because you would. There's no way you'd stroll around nonchalantly when 'orrible fings are abroad. Made the game quite tense.
  • Bulbatron 18 Jul 2009 19:04:19 956 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    While I like the whole 'feeling helpless' thing, I'm not actually all that good at doing things under time pressure, which is why I'm not quite sure about games such as Clock Tower 3 or Haunting Ground. Being constantly chased is not something I've been very good at.

I just wish they'd release more stuff on consoles. There seems to be a lot of horror titles out there for PC players, and many of these offering seem more focussed on exploration, puzzle-solving and story, which is much closer to the kind of thing I like to play.

I like my shooty ones too, but soaking up the atmosphere is always my favourite aspect.

Anyway, here's another general question for folks to answer. Which sort of view do you (generally speaking) prefer for horror games - third-person or first person?
  • Oh-Bollox 18 Jul 2009 19:09:31 6,513 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    First-person, tends to be more immersive (Call of Cthulhu).

Third-person gives you more awareness of your surroundings/bigger field of view.
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.