Following Horror Games Page 3

• Deleted user 18 July 2009 19:25:23
    The original Resident Evil games were the most frightening ones for me, when you counted ammo in single figures. I'm not sure that RE5 is even horror any more- the need to add a huge arsenal to the players removes any sense of dread for me.

'Sheeet, big tentacular horror at 3 o'clock. Run for it!'
    'Hang on, pass the grenade launcher and 30 incendiary rounds. Problem solved'
  • Bulbatron 18 Jul 2009 19:46:22 956 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I enjoyed Resident Evil 5 - but yes, I tend to agree that it isn't really horror any more. I suppose it is an action game with some 'horror elements/trappings'.

And at the risk of giving a lame answer to my own question about perspectives, I suppose it all depends on the game. Would Call of Cthulhu have been as good in third person? Would Eternal Darkness have been as good in first?

I suppose at the end of the day, there's no reason why players can't be given a choice. The Suffering allowed it, Alone in the Dark allowed it - to a point, and the Xbox version of Project Zero II allowed it. (the first one probably did as well, but I never owned it).
  • DUFFMAN5 18 Jul 2009 19:50:58 26,770 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I prefer all games in 3rd person.
  • Cappy 18 Jul 2009 20:34:13 14,309 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I prefer third person.

If the game is exploration and puzzle solving only (Echo Night for instance) I'll tolerate first person but as soon as combat comes into it I want to see where I am in relation to enemies and the environment, person first melee combat is totally intolerable.
  • Bulbatron 18 Jul 2009 23:06:52 956 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Cappy, is this just in relation to horror games, or are you just generally not a fan of the whole first-person perspective thing. So for example - even something such as Half-Life 2 or BioShock is not your cup of tea, or are you just talking about horror games - or are you just talking about FP games which feature close-combat, such as Condemned?

Not trying to be argumentative here, I'm just interested.

I've been checking old reviews and YouTube for inspiration for any possible games I should try in the horror genre. Maybe I'll give The Thing another try...
  • Bulbatron 18 Jul 2009 23:06:54 956 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Post deleted
  • creepylizard 18 Jul 2009 23:53:54 786 posts
    Seen 8 years ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    When it comes to atmosphere in horror games I don't think its the perspective that matters at all. Just the way the game was designed around it. Eternal darkness can be pretty creepy in third person but I thought FEAR could be too in first person...I thinks its just better to take every game as it comes..
    having said that, i generally prefer third person games...
  • Cappy 19 Jul 2009 00:23:39 14,309 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    A first person viewpoint feels too disconnected to me, I normally avoid games that use it for the primary viewpoint.
  • absolutezero 19 Jul 2009 00:37:03 7,952 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    No one here has played Penumbra or Undying.

Shame.
  • repairmanjack 19 Jul 2009 00:42:54 6,133 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Never finished Undying, despite being a huge fan of Barker (hey, I even played Jericho to death).

For what it's worth, for the few pence it costs to pick up now, Cold Fear is great fun. Does an awful lot right. I think I prefered it to Resi 5, if I'm honest.
  • Bulbatron 19 Jul 2009 04:14:27 956 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    absolutezero wrote:
    No one here has played Penumbra or Undying.

Shame.

Then why don't you tell us something about them then? But going back to the subject of perspective. I agree that ultimately it doesn't matter, as long as the atmosphere and gameplay are good.
  • Deleted user 19 July 2009 09:52:11
    First-person viewpoint-

I usually prefer Third-person as well, but Call of Cthulhu uses the FP view to get across insanity, messing with your perception, that kind of stuff.

@Cappy
    Agree about first person melee combat, it rarely works for me. The best slash-em-ups have commands for dodging, blocking etc, but not being able to see it all happen feels odd.
  • DUFFMAN5 19 Jul 2009 10:41:50 26,770 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Give Jericho a go. I know it reviewed bad (360) but I thought it was a great game, very atmospheric. I completed and then re-played right away.
  • Deleted user 19 July 2009 12:06:39
    The undying was a real horror game, the whole location was creepy and unsettling, and the characters also. There was fuck all ammo except for an energy gun that was unlimited as I recall, but could only fire once every few seconds. The last few hours of the game were a bit unexpected though.

Without a doubt though, the Thief games remain some of the scariest. They may not market them as 'horror' games, but they are fucking scary in places. Try playing 'robbing the cradle' and 'return to the haunted cathedral' at night. You will shit yourself
  • Inquisitor Moderator 19 Jul 2009 14:36:55 14,557 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I find First Person games more immediate, more immersive and therefore, scarier. Even relatively mundane FPS games can give me a fright whereas it takes much more for a 3rd person game to get me worried.

Call of Cthulu is a strange game. Fantastic opening section and outstanding production values and attention to detail. It's the wrong side of point and click adventure gaming though. Too many obscure puzzles later on ruin the sensible logic of earlier tasks and an increased focus on combat dilutes and eventually destroys the horrific atmosphere of the game.
  • Bulbatron 19 Jul 2009 17:43:56 956 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    The first couple of chapters of The Call of Cthulhu are definitely the most atmospheric and there are some really tense moments. The one thing that can become annoying is, in my opinion, and as mentioned by some earlier posts here, the fact that not having any kind of HUD can be a problem when having to do things quickly, like opening and closing doors. It was good not having a reticule for gun aiming, and it did make it seem more real, especially since you had to aim along the sights for a good shot.

But for more mundane tasks such as opening and closing doors - especially under pressure, I think some kind of 'target' was needed to make up for the fact you can't use your actual physical hands to grasp the doors and the locks and whatnot.
  • Bulbatron 27 Jul 2009 10:05:11 956 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I've been looking on Amazon to see if there are any old horror games that I might have missed. One that I was was called Kuon. Anybody ever heard of it? Had a look on YouTube and it looked quite good. Fairly expensive on Amazon or ebay though.
  • Deleted user 27 July 2009 10:05:51
    Just playing Dead Space for the first time. It's not really scary at all is it? Great fun, but the music spells out exactly what's waiting around the corner.
  • absolutezero 27 Jul 2009 10:51:01 7,952 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Bulbatron wrote:
    I've been looking on Amazon to see if there are any old horror games that I might have missed. One that I was was called Kuon. Anybody ever heard of it? Had a look on YouTube and it looked quite good. Fairly expensive on Amazon or ebay though.

Kuon can be slightly creey but the game handles like a real real dog. Its pretty badly made aswell with bugs, slow down and just horrible graphics. Then a cut-scene kicks in and theres spooky looking ghost kids and it half redeems itself.
  • Cappy 27 Jul 2009 11:03:34 14,309 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Bulbatron wrote:

I think you've exhausted most of the more recently released, easy to find stuff. Beyond that you've got older stuff like Hell Night/Dark Messiah and extremely hard to find games like Michigan. Import only titles from Japan is the only other place you'll find games you haven't seen yet.
  • absolutezero 27 Jul 2009 11:11:22 7,952 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Get a cheapo Dreamcast and experience some truely dire horror games.
  • OllyJ 27 Jul 2009 11:16:28 4,866 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    MrED209 wrote:
    Just playing Dead Space for the first time. It's not really scary at all is it? Great fun, but the music spells out exactly what's waiting around the corner.

The Prblem I had with that game was that I just5 didn't care and it became very repetative, more so than most games.

Great sound design though, that really unsettles, but the monsters all look and behvae the same which gets a bit boring, especially when it gets frantic.
  • psychokitten Moderator 27 Jul 2009 11:28:09 7,795 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    redcrayon wrote:
    The original Resident Evil games were the most frightening ones for me, when you counted ammo in single figures. I'm not sure that RE5 is even horror any more- the need to add a huge arsenal to the players removes any sense of dread for me.

'Sheeet, big tentacular horror at 3 o'clock. Run for it!'
    'Hang on, pass the grenade launcher and 30 incendiary rounds. Problem solved'

Fair point, but try it on Professional and see if it's scary ;)
    The first section anyway, when you're being stormed by loads of villagers, and the Executioner. Even with infinite weapons, myself and MattyB nearly had heartattacks. One hit from any enemy and you're dying, and your partner only has a second to get you back up.

REmake is still great for scares, and looks fantastic.
  • Bulbatron 27 Jul 2009 16:51:51 956 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    The graphics on REmake still blow me away even now to be honest.

I enjoyed Dead Space, but I was shat at the sections where you had to man the gun turrets.. Because of always having to get through those parts again, I know I wouldn't enjoy playing through it again. Shame really.

What about the Onimusha games? Do they count as horror? I've got the first one on the Xbox, but I only got through that by the skin of my teeth - even on easy.
  • DUFFMAN5 27 Jul 2009 17:01:10 26,770 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Onimusha 3 with Jene Reno is a great game I think you could class it in the horror genre.
    I always preferred to DMC
  • Bulbatron 29 Jul 2009 02:03:17 956 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I certainly never got into Devil May Cry. It was always meant to be very difficult. I've been on YouTube again, looking for likely-looking games. What about Echo Night Beyond? Anybody played it? I'm pretty sure somebody has actually mentioned it already.

I managed to find a cheap copy of The Thing and Project Zero recently, so I'll be going through them soon. I'm playing Alone in the Dark 2 (or Alone in the Dark - Jack is Back, as it's known on the PSone) at the moment.
  • repairmanjack 29 Jul 2009 11:57:02 6,133 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    The Thing! God, that was great - but rock hard. I never did finish it.
  • absolutezero 29 Jul 2009 12:00:31 7,952 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    repairmanjack wrote:
    The Thing! God, that was great - but rock hard. I never did finish it.

Its impossible when looking even slightly dodgy means no one trusts you, which leads to being killed. And by slightly dodgy I mean looking at them.
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.