Following Horror Games Page 4

• Bulbatron 29 Jul 2009 20:00:53 956 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Hunam 29 Jul 2009 20:13:44 20,673 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I tried to play the first one the other day, got about 45 mins before having to turn it off and take a 10 minute man up session. I have to say, monsters, demons, shit like that, not bothered, ghosts, fuck ghosts, fuck them up their silly asses, they scare me silly. I was just about managing it, but then it threw in mirrors. I'm not a fan of them either. They freak me out for some reason.
  • repairmanjack 29 Jul 2009 20:17:08 6,133 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Not played three, but thought the original was far more scary than two...
  • Deleted user 29 July 2009 20:19:24
    Siren: Blood Curse on the PS3 regularly requires "10 minute man up" sessions as Hunam described it. Shit scary game, that.
  • Deleted user 29 July 2009 20:20:07
    Any fun horror games, you know, like Zombies Ate My Neighbours?
  • Deleted user 29 July 2009 20:22:01
    redcrayon wrote:
    First-person viewpoint-

I usually prefer Third-person as well, but Call of Cthulhu uses the FP view to get across insanity, messing with your perception, that kind of stuff.
    How is this different to the original adventure game?
  • Hunam 29 Jul 2009 20:22:03 20,673 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I don't find Siren scary at all, maybe it's the horrible models, textures and animation. The games alright, but it just fails to immerse me and thus, scare. I can be pretty tense though. Not as tense as Dead Space though, the official game of the ultra tense society.
  • Deleted user 29 July 2009 20:22:18
    I haven't read through the thread yet, but Gregory Horror Show is really rather good. Looks cute, but then you'll shit yourself whenever someone chases you :o
  • Deleted user 29 July 2009 20:23:36
    Dead Space didn't scare me at all, although it did make me jump twice iirc. Amazing game though.
  • Bulbatron 31 Jul 2009 15:17:36 956 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I've started playing the PlayStation 2 version of Alone in the Dark. So far, I prefer it to the XBOX 360 version. Weird.
  • absolutezero 31 Jul 2009 15:28:42 7,952 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    funkyd wrote:
    I haven't read through the thread yet, but Gregory Horror Show is really rather good. Looks cute, but then you'll shit yourself whenever someone chases you :o

DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM

I AM JUDGEMENT BOY

JUUUUUUUUUUDGEMENT
  • creepylizard 31 Jul 2009 15:44:26 786 posts
    Seen 8 years ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Bulbatron wrote:
    I just found it difficult, that's all. What's your problem then? Not everybody can have the same level of skill as you, you know.
    You're not alone. I found that bit intensely irritating...I felt like crying when i saw there was a second one...
  • absolutezero 31 Jul 2009 16:21:14 7,952 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Its partly due to the weird inertia of the gun, that and the perspective your forced to use. Its so fucking slow compared the normal controls.

Its a horrible part. Then again im not really a fountain of glowing Dead Space praise.
  • Deleted user 31 July 2009 20:46:07
    @Crispy

When I said 'mess with your perception', I don't mean that all FPSs do that, it's just that as a feature of that game it changes how NPCs look to you as your sanity decreases, which works well in first person. Immersion etc.

What do you mean by the original adventure game, I don't think I've played another one.
  • Deleted user 31 July 2009 20:53:25
    redcrayon wrote:
    @Crispy

When I said 'mess with your perception', I don't mean that all FPSs do that, it's just that as a feature of that game it changes how NPCs look to you as your sanity decreases, which works well in first person. Immersion etc.

What do you mean by the original adventure game, I don't think I've played another one.
    Shadow of the comet on the PC, Point'n'Clicker.
  • Deleted user 31 July 2009 20:54:37
    absolutezero wrote:
    funkyd wrote:

DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM

I AM JUDGEMENT BOY

JUUUUUUUUUUDGEMENT

:D
  • Deleted user 31 July 2009 20:57:57
    Ah, suddenly all becomes clear- I've only been a pc gamer for all of two weeks, played the original on a friend's Xbox.

Picked up a Sherlock Holmes/Cthulhu one called 'the awakened', looking forward to starting that.
  • absolutezero 31 Jul 2009 21:36:35 7,952 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    redcrayon wrote:
    Picked up a Sherlock Holmes/Cthulhu one called 'the awakened', looking forward to starting that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsoIAq7gTf0

You really should'nt.
  • Oh-Bollox 31 Jul 2009 21:51:51 6,513 posts
    Seen 2 years ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    redcrayon wrote:
    Ah, suddenly all becomes clear- I've only been a pc gamer for all of two weeks, played the original on a friend's Xbox.

I haven't played the remastered version, but the original was okay, IIRC (been a few years now).
  • Bulbatron 1 Aug 2009 02:27:39 956 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Like the one with the ghost on the staircase, or the one with the figure in the back seat of a car? Have to agree that they are pretty good - real or not.
  • Deleted user 1 August 2009 13:57:36
    Who here has played through Shalebridge cradle on Thief deadly shadows? That was the scariest level I've ever experienced, its best played in the dark with a pair of earphones
  • Deleted user 1 August 2009 14:01:22
    The_Mountie wrote:
    The problem with scary games is, well, they're not scary. Sure, Dead Space, F.E.A.R or Fatal Frame might pop something freakish up out of nowhere, but at most one might instantaneously twitch the controller in avoidance of said on-screen beastie, and only once in a blue moon at best.

The most I've ever gotten from these games is a mildly 'cold' atmosphere.

Same problem with most purported scary films too. They don't live up to their premise.

BOO!

I feel the same with horror films, because I'm not in control of the character, I can just sit back, relax and see what happens to them. Why should I be scared? Whereas with games, as I'm in control of the character, I decide whether the character lives or dies, so it's a lot scarier imo.
  • Bulbatron 1 Aug 2009 22:49:51 956 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I think that's quite an interesting and important distinction, funkyd. While there are very few horror films that actually scare me, there are some that my mind lingers on after I have finished watching them. I tend to think that is at least one sure sign that a horror film has done the right thing. I suppose it's a little harder to pin down what may or may not make a horror game actually scary.

I thought the original Resident Evil was scary at the time because I'd never seen anything like it before. I'd never heard of Alone in the Dark. It is in fact, safe to say that it was Resident Evil which ignited my interest in horror (in a big way) in the first place. Before that, it was just the odd Hammer horror film, though I had always read novels in the horror genre before that, though I never really progressed beyond James Herbert or Stephen King.

It is interesting how the ideas of horror games have evolved since they first began, much in the same way, I suppose as they have evolved in cinema and literature. Perhaps 'changed' would be a better word than 'evolved' since whether the 'evolutions' have all been beneficial in the various kinds of horror media is perhaps debatable.
  • creepylizard 1 Aug 2009 22:56:28 786 posts
    Seen 8 years ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    i think there is definetely a distinction between being "creeped out" and scared. With games and films. I don't think games or films could scare me, beyond the cheap, making you jump when something lunges at you unexpectedly, type scares but both can certainly creep me out in a distinct, pervasive way..
  • absolutezero 1 Aug 2009 23:32:55 7,952 posts
    Seen 7 years ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Its just the different facets of fear.
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.