St Patrick's Day 2008! Page 2

• PhoenixFlames 17 Mar 2008 11:52:03 9,263 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    JuanKerr wrote:
    Leolian'sBro wrote:

Give me a pint of IPA over that Guinness rubbish anyday.

+1

IPA is the nuts, Guiness isn't even in the same league.

Guinness is however the most superior drink.
  • JuanKerr 17 Mar 2008 11:54:03 37,710 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    PhoenixFlames wrote:

Guinness is however the most heavily-marketed, over-rated drink.

Fixed.
  • PhoenixFlames 17 Mar 2008 11:54:46 9,263 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    JuanKerr wrote:
    PhoenixFlames wrote:

Guinness is however the most heavily-marketed, over-rated drink.

Fixed.

Would be true if it wasn't the greatest drink ever.
  • Deleted user 17 March 2008 12:07:44
    Well that's worked out well then, I got wankered on Saturday night and was looking for a reason.

w00t.

Now my Monday evening drinking session reason has been used up though. Fuck.
  • Deleted user 17 March 2008 12:09:44
    i'm celebrating paddies day in style, reheated pizza alone with a fuck lot of alchoLOL, woooo watford!
  • Dougs 17 Mar 2008 12:10:18 94,595 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    JuanKerr wrote:
    smoothpete wrote:

It's dumb really, we should celebrate St Georges Day but we don't

The only reason that St Patrick's day is so well-known is because Guiness pimps it so much.

What we need is a big English beer company to latch onto it and make it a national day of drinking. Greene King is the 'official beer of the English rugby team', so perhaps it should promote itself as the 'official beer of St George's day' or something.

Most ale brewers try it, but the trouble is, beer isn't as popular as lager. Bit too much taste for the lager drinkers, see.

/Is a lapsed ale drinker.
  • Deleted user 17 March 2008 12:14:06
    Leolian'sBro wrote:
    Guinness is homogenised, corporate pish. The stout equivalent of Stella. Give me a proper ale any day.

you take that back!

/sharpens toothbrush into shiv
  • JuanKerr 17 Mar 2008 12:22:49 37,710 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Leolian'sBro wrote:
    Guinness is homogenised, corporate pish. The stout equivalent of Stella. Give me a proper ale any day.

This.
  • JuanKerr 17 Mar 2008 12:24:44 37,710 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    JuanKerr wrote:
    smoothpete wrote:

It's dumb really, we should celebrate St Georges Day but we don't

The only reason that St Patrick's day is so well-known is because Guiness pimps it so much.

What we need is a big English beer company to latch onto it and make it a national day of drinking. Greene King is the 'official beer of the English rugby team', so perhaps it should promote itself as the 'official beer of St George's day' or something.

Most ale brewers try it, but the trouble is, beer isn't as popular as lager. Bit too much taste for the lager drinkers, see.

/Is a lapsed ale drinker.

Good point.

I find it difficult to drink lager now that I've been drinking ales for a couple of years. Lager just tastes so chemically.

Can't beat a good ale.

/ dons flat cap

/ orders pint of Grouse Beater
  • PhoenixFlames 17 Mar 2008 12:24:49 9,263 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Leolian'sBro wrote:

Except it's fucking tasty.
  • _Price_ 17 Mar 2008 12:29:48 3,072 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    JuanKerr wrote:
    I find it difficult to drink lager now that I've been drinking ales for a couple of years. Lager just tastes so chemically.

Can't beat a good ale.

/ dons flat cap

/ orders pint of Grouse Beater

: ) Yep, don't drink lager anymore, just don't see the point in drinking something that tastes so bad. It's either bitter/ale or (more often than not) whisky.

Of course, I'll have to have the obligatory Guinness later on.
  • twelveways 17 Mar 2008 12:32:06 7,131 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Guiness is fucking nasty, I imagine it probably tastes better coming out the next morning.
  • Deleted user 17 March 2008 12:32:41
    It's not like Greene King is even the nicest brewer in Suffolk...

Interesting note, my ex once went to Greene King for a programming job, got paid expenses for going so he thought "Wow what a cracking place to work!", got given a 'test' to fix an interface (assumed this was a hypothetical situation) and then went home, knowing he'd done alright.

Never heard back. I know a dude that works there now, he told me when they get problems like that they just get people in to phantom job interviews to try to solve problems :o
  • PhoenixFlames 17 Mar 2008 12:33:11 9,263 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    twelveways wrote:
    Guiness is fucking nasty, I imagine it probably tastes better coming out the next morning.

That's what most people say after a first taste. You have to force a few pints down and pretty soon it begins to take on heroin like addictive qualities.
  • PhoenixFlames 17 Mar 2008 12:34:54 9,263 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Leolian'sBro wrote:
    Tasty, eh? As is IPA. As is Adnam's Broadside. As is London Pride. As is just about any Everards beer, or Fullers, or Youngs, or Tim Taylors.

In fact, Guinness is average at best, and advertised to fuck by some twatty full-of-themselves PR types as some sort of Godlike drink. Witness the 'It takes 118 seconds to pour the perfect pint', the whole 'Good things come to those who wait' malarky suggesting this is akin to alchemy. Fuck sake it's a pint of fucking stout people, not the elixir of life.

And step back for a second and ask yourself: 'Pure Genius'. good slogan, or piss-poor lame semi-pun?

Why are you so angry at a good PR campaign? I don't really care if they advertise it or not, it is indeed the elixir of life (and death of course in my quantities).
  • PhoenixFlames 17 Mar 2008 12:40:45 9,263 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Leolian'sBro wrote:

It's people buying into the hype, that it's somehow anything other than totally, utterly average. People want to drink Stella. Fine, but be aware that it's bottom rung pish. People want to eat a MacDonalds. Fine, but be aware that it's bottom rung pish. Guinness? Same idea.

Actually, I don't know what I'm getting angry at really. Time for lunch...

Well, I don't really think that's a fair argument. Thousands/millions of people love it. You might not like the taste but I do.

Stella however, you may have a point.
  • Deleted user 17 March 2008 12:42:13
    Fosters yes has a point. Stella no.
  • Deleted user 17 March 2008 12:43:06
    But Guinness is the nicest stout I've ever tasted; obviously it varies wildly on how well kept / poured it is, like any beer.

Maybe I need to try more stouts, but (IMO), in a decent pub it's usually one of the better things on draught.

Doesn't give me much of a hangover, either. W00t.
  • PhoenixFlames 17 Mar 2008 12:43:20 9,263 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    prawnking wrote:
    Fosters yes has a point. Stella no.

Someone else will have to take up the discussion from here, I don't care too much for lager, except in the sunshine.
  • PhoenixFlames 17 Mar 2008 12:44:22 9,263 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    PES_Fanboy wrote:
    Doesn't give me much of a hangover, either. W00t.

+1

Guinness hangover > Lager hangover
  • Youthist 17 Mar 2008 12:44:45 14,257 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    PhoenixFlames wrote:
    Someone else will have to take up the discussion from here
    \o/
  • Deleted user 17 March 2008 12:45:46
    Nah not in the mood to discuss / argue it. I like Ales, also like Stella given the choice would drink Stella. As per what you said with Guiness millions like it, millions don't.
  • PhoenixFlames 17 Mar 2008 12:46:19 9,263 posts
    Seen 5 years ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    prawnking wrote:
    Nah not in the mood to discuss / argue it. I like Ales, also like Stella given the choice would drink Stella. As per what you said with Guiness millions like it, millions don't.

Marmite innit.
  • TakeTheVeil 17 Mar 2008 12:48:19 5,057 posts
    Seen 9 years ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Rarely find myself drinking lager these days either... usually an ale of some sort.

Only decent Guinness i ever had outside of Ireland was in Brixton in London. Some reggae bar.. was pure savage...very surprised so i was.

Gotta say though, the standard of Guinness in Dublin city has fallen in the last few years.
  • JuanKerr 17 Mar 2008 12:49:10 37,710 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    prawnking wrote:

I don't think I know anyone who actually likes Stella.

Not having a go at your taste, by the way, just a general comment.
  • Deleted user 17 March 2008 12:49:55
    You do now.

:)

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.