Graphic Novel recommendations please Page 46

Next Last
  • MrFlay 6 Aug 2015 16:13:55 4,505 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Can anyone recommend me some comics from Image? Not Saga or TWD. Sci-fi especially. Also similar non-Superhero stuff from Dark Horse or Vertigo.
  • munki83 6 Aug 2015 17:29:18 1,853 posts
    Seen 6 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Black science is good
  • Deleted user 6 August 2015 17:31:23
    Low will probably tick most of your boxes.
  • Justice-Buster 6 Aug 2015 17:46:29 81 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I would recommend Deadly Class (Remender's best work in my opinion), Southern Bastards and Lazarus off the top of my head. All three are consistently excellent. Nailbiter's first volume was also quite good.

It's about a town in America called Buckaroo that has given birth to sixteen of the vilest serial killers so a detective goes there to solve the mystery of why this keeps happening. Haven't read anything else since so not too sure if it's consistent though.
  • MrFlay 6 Aug 2015 17:46:48 4,505 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Thanks, they look interesting.

I'm buying a lot of the cheap first issues of different comics to see what I like. Image has so many interesting looking comics.
  • MrFlay 6 Aug 2015 17:51:31 4,505 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Justice-Buster

Thanks for the recommendations. I just bought 26 different first issues and they included the comics you mentioned.

Is it worth buying anything from Zenescope? I like the idea of modern re-tellings of fairytales but the covers are quite lurid and a bit sexist.
  • JoelStinty 6 Aug 2015 18:21:25 8,922 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The wicked and the devine any good? Latest issue seems to be getting really good praise.

Another one to add to the wishlist. Despite reading the odd graphic novel throughout my years, i really enjoyed reading them of late. Got southern bastards, sandman, saga, y man all added to my wishlist.
  • Justice-Buster 7 Aug 2015 07:58:28 81 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @MrFlay No problem. I've never read anything from Zenoscope to be honest so I can't be of any help there.

A bit off topic and not Image related but does anyone here read Grayson? I've been buying it in single issues and finally started reading it.

First two issues were competent and entertaining spy stories but issue 3 genuinely surprised me with how good it was. Would definitely
    recommend it, it's one of Dc's more unique books.

By the way anyone who's about to start reading Southern Bastards is in for a real treat!

Edited by Justice-Buster at 07:59:27 07-08-2015
  • Justice-Buster 13 Aug 2015 00:06:05 81 posts
    Seen 4 years ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Thought I'd post this here in case the thread I've created doesn't get noticed.

Evening all

Last month I started a comic book blog which reviewed trade paperbacks. So far its going decently, but I would like to obtain some feedback from people who regularly read reviews so the content of mine can improve.

I don't mind how critical it is as long as there is some valuable feedback that I can use to improve. The link is below:

https://comicbookconversation.wordpress.com/2015/08/12/review-grayson-volume-1-agents-of-spyral/

I appreciate how valuable everyones time is so anyone who posts something of substance I will throw their username into a hat and pick a random winner to receive one of the following comics of their choice:

Hawkeye vs Deadpool
    Birthright Volume 1: Homecoming
    Black Science Volume 1: How To Fall Forever
    Copperhead Volume 1
    Shutter Volume 1: Wanderlost

Thanks in advance for your contributions!
  • urban 20 Sep 2015 07:43:38 13,098 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @CosmicFuzz Thanks for the recommendation on this man, I'm just starting on Crown of Shadows and it's excellent!
  • CosmicFuzz 20 Sep 2015 09:35:38 32,585 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @urban awesome! Glad you're enjoying it dude! It's a fantastic series.
  • urban 28 Sep 2015 18:05:22 13,098 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Shinji

Yeah when I saw this in the Comic museum of San Francisco I was a bit taken by it, not sure how readable it would be but it's a bit impressive.

Edited by urban at 14:10:19 21-10-2015
  • JoelStinty 8 Oct 2015 18:56:46 8,922 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Read my first Dredd GN the other day, America. Enjoyed it. Wasn't too keen on the artwork in the second part (Fading of the light) , but overall it was a good story. Good to see the judges from a civilian stand point.

Think i might be read some more, but with a 40 year old history, i don't quite know where to start. I might just go with Case Files VOL1 and get on with it.
  • senso-ji 8 Oct 2015 19:08:07 10,088 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @JoelStinty Try 'The Dark Judges', which is considered one of the classics. Artwork is by Brian Bolland, which is phenomenal, but they've reprinted it recently where he's recoloured his original black and white line art, and it looks even more spectacular.
  • urban 21 Oct 2015 14:11:27 13,098 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @CosmicFuzz Finished the other week btw, not to make myself sound like a total woosie but I actually shed a few tears at the end.

Happiness/Sadness, bit mixed, excellent.
  • CosmicFuzz 21 Oct 2015 15:11:03 32,585 posts
    Seen 1 year ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @urban heh, it's a great series. I've forgotten a fair bit of it actually thinking back. Might be time for a reread...
  • urban 21 Oct 2015 16:06:18 13,098 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Bode may be my favourite character from any comic series, kid's cool as fuck.
  • Trafford 21 Oct 2015 20:26:03 8,571 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yeah, the complete Bone saga is awesome.
    My two sons really enjoyed it also.
  • urban 27 Oct 2015 10:20:04 13,098 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Sandman Overture Deluxe edition is released in 3 weeks

Fair price at 13 too imo
  • senso-ji 17 Nov 2015 22:42:22 10,088 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Have finished the first three volumes of Alan Moore's swamp thing run. Good stuff, if a little hit and miss; the swamp thing Annual in book two was amazing, but 'Pog' from the same volume was strange. Overall, I'd recommend it, whether you're a Moore fan or not.

Also finished reading the second volume of Frank Miller's Daredevil run. You can see how him and Janson quickly established their story and art styles that would later be perfect in Dark Knight Returns. Volume two is especially excellent. Only question I was left asking was: where did it all go wrong, Frank?
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 18 Nov 2015 00:00:08 25,562 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'm reading the new Darth Vader comics at the minute and I'm enjoying them a lot. Defo worth a look if you're a star wars fan.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 18 Nov 2015 01:19:34 33,020 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    You have my attention.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 18 Nov 2015 06:25:18 25,562 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yeah they're pretty great. Set between Star Wars and Empire and they're about Vader trying to find Luke behind the Emperors back. They actually add quite a bit of depth to the character. Some great art work as well.

If you've got a tablet you can get them off the Marvel comic app. Or the usual places if you're a dirty thief.
  • nickthegun 18 Nov 2015 07:44:06 82,264 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    senso-ji wrote:
    Have finished the first three volumes of Alan Moore's swamp thing run. Good stuff, if a little hit and miss
    It was the first of moores stuff I ever read, so I think of it very fondly. Even the bits with the aliens...
  • President_Weasel 18 Nov 2015 09:38:20 12,355 posts
    Seen 5 months ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    The collected Nextwave is the single greatest work of man
  • Mola_Ram 21 Nov 2015 05:59:30 23,974 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm currently working my way through Fables. It's been great - a really, really enjoyable read.

The only slight negative is that the politics has been getting a bit heavy-handed for my tastes. I mean, I could already see parallels with the holocaust and Arab-Israeli conflict. I didn't really need a character to stand up and say "This is JUST like what Israel has to face, therefore we are justified in doing all this morally-questionable shit". It kind of breaks the illusion for me, regardless of whether I agree with it or not.
  • MrFlay 21 Nov 2015 09:22:36 4,505 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I've been reading through various comics recently and I'm very impressed with the creativity and originality of the medium. Image are publishing some excellent stuff. Deadly Class, Revival, Southern Bastards, Trees, Black Science. The big two have some great stuff by the same people creating through Image. Jonathan Hickman, Rick Reminder, Matt Fraction, Ed Brubaker. The list goes on and on.

Edited by MrFlay at 09:22:47 21-11-2015
  • oldskooldeano 21 Nov 2015 17:45:49 3,055 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I enjoyed LOW from Image. It sort of reminded me of the classic days of Metal Hurlant.
  • senso-ji 26 Feb 2016 22:14:12 10,088 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Finished Alan Moore's complete Swamp Thing collection (6 books). Books 4-6 are definitely stronger than the first three, where you can really see Moore letting loose and writing the kind of stories that would later become his signature style.

My favourite issue of the whole thing was 'ghost dance', but 'southern changes', 'garden of earthly delights' and all the space travelling were also brilliant. I'm also pretty sure that Grant Morrison built his career around the 'loving the alien' issue.

Highly recommended, one of the best comics stories I've read.
  • Next Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.