Graphic Novel recommendations please Page 47

Next Last
  • Trafford 1 May 2016 19:46:57 8,674 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    senso-ji wrote:
    Finished Alan Moore's complete Swamp Thing collection (6 books). Books 4-6 are definitely stronger than the first three, where you can really see Moore letting loose and writing the kind of stories that would later become his signature style.

Highly recommended, one of the best comics stories I've read.
    Yeah I would echo that. I need to upgrade from my original b+w copies.

Alan Moore, anyone read Providence? Nice hardback version out and I love a bit of HP Lovecraft. Just not convinced of his godly status nowadays, definitely an apostle though.

In the shop yesterday I also spotted Bacchus by Eddie Campbell ( the illustrator on From Hell).
    1000 page epic in two parts that seems right up my street. Would have jumped as part 2 is out in July, but I just didn't feel like spending 30quid on a comic right then.
  • challenge_hanukkah 1 May 2016 19:49:11 13,057 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I might kidnap Moore and force him to finish off Halo Jones.
  • Trafford 1 May 2016 19:56:20 8,674 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Nah, let's Kick-start a movie with these guys

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=dr+%26+quinch+quotes&client=ms-android-orange-gb&prmd=isnv&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjTg7aIxrnMAhWlDMAKHWv4CxkQ_AUIBygB&biw=360&bih=512&dpr=2#tbm=isch&q=dr+%26+quinch&imgrc=Vhx5dHjIsTTnlM%3A
  • Vortex808 1 May 2016 23:08:30 14,021 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Dr & quinch were great. Anyone see that doc about 2000 a.d.? Going to force my boy to read it in a few yars time for sure!
  • DaM 2 May 2016 00:25:50 17,469 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Vortex808 wrote:
    Dr & quinch were great. Anyone see that doc about 2000 a.d.? Going to force my boy to read it in a few yars time for sure!
    Watched it last night, excellent. It was great to see all the people behind the names. Most of them seemed like decent people. I like Grant Morrison, seemed very down to earth.

I've taken out a month's subscription, and will leave them lying about, see if my boys will pick it up. I don't want to force it, as obviously I'm not very cool.

Wonder where all my progs are.... I was trying to figure out when and why I stopped buying it. Maybe when I went to Uni, 89ish.

Edited by DaM at 00:33:54 02-05-2016
  • nakedlunch 2 May 2016 08:20:37 78 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I know it's very famous etc but I only got round to read From Hell last week and it was an absolute masterpiece. If you haven't read it, please do so right away.
  • Trafford 2 May 2016 08:46:44 8,674 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Where's this 2000AD doc please chaps?
  • Vortex808 2 May 2016 08:57:03 14,021 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I saw it in an arty cinema at xmas time. I'm sure I saw it is on netflix etc though.

I think it was called Future Shock- story of 2000ad. DaM can correct me as to where he found it and what it's called if i'm way off I'm sure!

It had a load of interviews with the artists, writers etc. It was great to see Ezquerra and co. There was also loads of footage with Pat Mills too. Who is not happy about wherr it went.
  • DaM 2 May 2016 08:57:24 17,469 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Trafford wrote:
    Where's this 2000AD doc please chaps?
    Futureshock on All4 (Channel 4 catchup). Available for 4 days, so get cracking!
  • DaM 2 May 2016 09:00:16 17,469 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Pat Mills is very camp and angry, still very emotional about it. It was good to see how invested they all were in it, they loved it as much as we did.
  • challenge_hanukkah 2 May 2016 09:03:22 13,057 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    DaM wrote:
    Pat Mills is very camp and angry, still very emotional about it. It was good to see how invested they all were in it, they loved it as much as we did.
    Yeah, I wouldn't spill his pint without immediately getting him another.
  • Vortex808 2 May 2016 09:03:32 14,021 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Half-tempted to watch it again if it's on c4 catch up!
  • urban 2 May 2016 09:45:54 13,105 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    good shout on Future Shock! I'll be watching that this evening.

I've finally almost finished Sandman, that is a lot of material to get through and it's amazing how dark it gets towards the end.

Still recommend Locke & Key to everyone I meet remotely interested in comics, not ashamed to admit it made me cry.

Edited by urban at 09:49:02 02-05-2016
  • Trafford 2 May 2016 09:46:48 8,674 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Cool, I'll watch that tonight. I stopped reading it in the late 80s, I can imagine I've missed allsorts of epic Dredd stories, and Carlos Esquerra kicked ass.

I have a signed picture of the Joker by Brian Bolland. My sister did some work for him and blagged it along with a copy of Chamelot 3000 for myself.
  • Trafford 2 May 2016 10:17:08 8,674 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    SpaceMonkey77 wrote:
    I read Judge Dredd like once, and that was a very long time ago. It has its place, I guess. Brit comics and GNs can and need to be, so much more than just that.
    Just discussing a niche. I enjoyed your list thanks.
  • senso-ji 5 May 2016 09:28:33 10,094 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Latest humble book bundle has a bunch of Kodansha titles for $17 for those that want to see why titles such as Attack on Titan, Vinland Saga or Parasyte are so popular.

Edited by senso-ji at 09:33:54 05-05-2016
  • anephric 5 May 2016 09:41:19 4,349 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Trafford wrote:I have a signed picture of the Joker by Brian Bolland. My sister did some work for him and blagged it along with a copy of Chamelot 3000 for myself.
    One of my best memories is going around Brian Bolland's flat with my uncle when I was veeery young - he worked for Games Workshop and they were doing the Dredd board game (with cover art by Bolland). He had loads of cheques stuffed behind a clock on the mantelpiece.

That 2000AD doc is brilliant, btw. Also, if anyone thinks Grant Morrison is down to earth, trying reading (or watching) anything he did for Disinfo. He's a NUTTER. ALIENS AND MAGICK.

Edited by anephric at 09:43:13 05-05-2016
  • McEwan 5 May 2016 10:06:00 884 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Grant Morrison is also a really nice guy - met him at a few Glasgow comics mart. Very pleasant.
  • One_Vurfed_Gwrx 5 May 2016 12:23:18 4,022 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Glad I peeped into this thread to spot the Future Shocks documentary info. Got it watched and it was a nice little documentary. I have to admit though that as a kid I read more 80's Eagle (and whoever it was merged with at the time) than 2000AD but I read some of that too, and in the 90's inherited a friend's (Retroid) remnants of his 80's run (seem to recall over a thousand issues) so got caught up (before dutifully passing it on to my younger brother).

I haven't bought a lot of comics recently, although I have picked up the odd Hibernia Press reprints (mostly late 70's and early 80's comics printed by a very indie outfit), some of which I was familiar with and a few that just caught my eye. Sadly I keep missing their 13th floor reprints as that was a series I have fond memories of as a kid (originally in Scream but I encountered it in Eagle). Survival was another story I remembered that I don't think has been reprinted but it can be 'found' if you look around online.
  • opalw00t 5 May 2016 14:08:19 12,832 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    anephric wrote:
    That 2000AD doc is brilliant, btw. Also, if anyone thinks Grant Morrison is down to earth, trying reading (or watching) anything he did for Disinfo. He's a NUTTER. ALIENS AND MAGICK.
    Haha, I agree.

Remember how The Invisible was a 'hyper sigil' (if I recall correctly) that he used to cure himself of a serious infection that dumped him in hospital?

The Barbelith message board was mental back in the day.
  • anephric 5 May 2016 15:05:57 4,349 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    He also reckons he contacted aliens in Kathmandu. The fact he was tripping his tits off at the time was coincidental.
  • opalw00t 5 May 2016 15:07:27 12,832 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I do enjoy his utter mentalism.
  • Deleted user 5 May 2016 15:58:50
    I bought Puma Blues but had to stop reading halfway through as I found it pretty much incomprehensible.

I bought the year one edition of East of West and thought it was absolutely brilliant. Well worth it for any Sci-fi geeks. Only problem is that the pages were slightly thin and had a light wave effect. Shame I have to wait a year for the next one.
  • Tricky 5 May 2016 16:50:11 5,012 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    anephric wrote:
    He also reckons he contacted aliens in Kathmandu. The fact he was tripping his tits off at the time was coincidental.
    Yes, those scenes in his Animal Man run did seem to have been written by someone who has actually experienced a proper trip.
  • anephric 5 May 2016 18:18:47 4,349 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I used to like Morrison when I was a Moody Goth® but when I go back now and reread Arkham Asylum, it really is pretentious balls. I suppose I still like the ending. I rebought all of The Invisibles recently as well as I kinda liked it at the time but not really and thought I might appreciate it more now.

Nope, it's ballbags of the lowest dangling order.

Zenith, on the other hand, is still fucking brilliant. Rebellion recently republished it all, including the legally troublesome and horribly elusive last phase.

I fucking loved Zenith when I was a Proto Moody Goth©.
  • nickthegun 5 May 2016 20:06:27 82,982 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    anephric wrote:
    One of the things that the collected editions of The Invisibles really misses is his editors column in the individual issues. The shit he went through when writing that is absolutely incredible.
  • greg_wha 5 May 2016 20:52:40 1,383 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The 2000AD documentary is indeed very good. Killed a hour and a half at work today watching it. Interesting to hear their (unsurprisingly) negative thoughts on Sly's Dredd film. Is the newest Dredd film any good?

Back on topic; probably mentioned before but hey ho.

Zero.
    Velvet.
    Lazarus.
  • Next Last

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.