Following Recently-abandoned games Page 238

• Vortex808 19 Oct 2018 20:50:15 12,946 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    DrStrangelove wrote:
    simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:
    I think I've accepted I'm never completing Hotline Miami. I just don't have the reflexes or timing I used to.
    Yeah, I also stopped playing back then because having to act in the exact millisecond or else you die was too extreme and frustrating
    You folk are nuts! I loved it.

( It could be seriously frustrating when i played it on vita though, so i do understand.)
  • DangerousDave_87 20 Oct 2018 23:00:52 5,434 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Enter the Gungeon

This appealed to me greatly as it seemed to borrow quite heavily from Spelunky, which is an all-time favourite of mine. I also snagged it for a bargain price, which sealed the deal. However, this game is just become a chore to play. It's unnecessarily complicated. There's too many weapons. Too many items. Too many bosses and too many secrets.

The grind seems very artificial, too. This isn't like Spelunky, in which you ultimately learn from your mistakes and stand a reasonable chance of victory on any given run. In this game you need a variety of good gear and a run can fall apart almost entirely on that.

It's just not nearly as well crafted as Spelunky. Rather than fine tune a fairly simple experience, they've overly complicated it by padding it out with an infinite amount of variables. The initial hook is the twin stick gameplay, pushing over tables and diving through bullets, but that gets old when progress slows to a crawl.

I feel like I'm in touching distance of the finish line now, but I just can't be arsed. My attention just drops off a cliff.
  • TheHammerite 21 Oct 2018 08:59:48 2,997 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Thief 4

Tried this again...and again. It follows the same pattern. I uninstall it and forget about it for months then I think I'll give it another try. I lasted approximately ten minutes this time. I just can't bring myself to overlook it's flaws, and that it bears little to no resemblance to the Thief series. I'm going to play through Thief Deadly Shadows again instead.
  • CitizenGeek 21 Oct 2018 20:59:27 3,481 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Dragon Quest XI: Echoes of an Elusive Age

I love JRPGs and considered DQVIII one of the best games I'd ever played when it came out. However, this game is just too easy, too predictable and bland even by JRPG trope standards. I got about 10 hours in but I can't find anything in it which is compelling enough to make me think it might be worthwhile spending more time on it. I have recently played FFXV and although it's far from perfect, I thought it was on balance a really interesting update to the FF formula. By comparison, DQXI is much too dated.
  • Gunzberg 21 Oct 2018 21:27:28 2,661 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Undertale

By god was this dull and unfunny. Made it about to the last level, the one after CORE, but it was just so dull. 6 hours played and I fail to see the hype. A total drag.
  • Darth_Flibble 22 Oct 2018 19:08:26 3,247 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Dead Island Riptide (shitty xbox one port)

A friend has just got xbox one and wanted to replay this game on gamepass (he never played the 1st game but had good memories on this) He got his cousin and his friend and its ok in 4 player but the game is still a broken shit fest of glitches and bad animation. Not much work has gone into this "Definitive edition" it still has all the glitches, dodgy looking faces etc. When you hold a throwable object, the screen is really blurring looking. I don't think it was the Techland devs porting this mess but I bet very little money was spent on the port.

We didn't finish the playthrough but fuck this game
  • GuybrushFreepwood 4 Nov 2018 21:52:05 469 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    Doom (Switch)

Tried really hard to get on with this as l loved the classic games. Looked really good and amazing for such a small machine. However, it just didn't click. Way too frantic, too many locked arenas with teleporting demons, not enough bullets, an emphasis on hand to hand combat and I just didn't find myself having fun. Plus it was impossible to play it when the kids were around...well, on the TV anyway.

Tried to get on with it on the ps4, previously but failed on both systems. Traded it for Diablo 3 which I'm sure we'll get a few hundred more hours of play than doom did.
  • Darth_Flibble 6 Nov 2018 09:14:18 3,247 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Battlechasers Nightwar

Was actually enjoying this but its got to a point where I feel like I have to grind levels as some enemies can do OTT damage with 1 hit in the current dungeon. the main 3 are level 19 but it feels like the devs just ramped up the damage the basic enemies can do. Its really lazy game design imo, instead of having difficulty curve, you can have a grind to pad out the game length. Some gamers love the grind but there is ton of other games to play

Shame as I really was enjoying it
  • UncleLou Moderator 6 Nov 2018 12:25:49 39,931 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @Darth_Flibble Finished and never felt I had to ĒgrindĒ. ThereĒa the arena you are meant to visit where you can level up quickly if you left a few characters behind and want to level them up.

Edited by UncleLou at 12:26:32 06-11-2018
  • Gunzberg 6 Nov 2018 15:03:51 2,661 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Hitman: Definitive Edition

I played and completed all Hitman games before this. Whilst the levels are large and I understand the effort in creating all that simulation, too often actions/opportunities fail to trigger correctly.

Also, I think by Sapienza I was getting too pissed off to deal with all this trial and error gameplay. Maybe when I was younger, but now I can not be bothered any longer.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 6 Nov 2018 15:27:33 4,902 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I've a nasty feeling I'm done with the PS4 Spider-Man. The setting is lovely and traversal around the city feels great, but I keep getting stuck on the issue that I fundamentally do not like the combat. It feels too imprecise and too badly-signalled by the standards of the genre. I'm not sure the Arkham combat system adapts well to something that fundamentally wants to be much faster-paced.
  • DJCopa 6 Nov 2018 15:28:10 1,723 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @GuybrushFreepwood This is exactly where I'm at. Out of interest, where did you trade? Have DOOM in my coat pocket, and will venture out after work.
  • GuybrushFreepwood 6 Nov 2018 17:02:35 469 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    @DJCopa I just went to Game and got £26 for it.
  • DJCopa 7 Nov 2018 11:57:25 1,723 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @GuybrushFreepwood Was only checking in case I'd missed a deal somewhere - Off to GAME now :)
  • rice_sandwich 7 Nov 2018 14:48:59 4,956 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Rimworld. Every time I try to play it I get the impression that it's basically a spreadsheet under a thin veneer of a game. I might as well load up Excel and do something useful.
  • UncleLou Moderator 7 Nov 2018 14:56:23 39,931 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @rice_sandwich Yeah, know exactly what you mean. It ticks all my boxes on paper, but I never last long when I launch it. I think it's the clunky interface and very ... pragmatic... graphics than ehance the Excel impression. The same game with a style and interface more like, say, Don't Starve, and it would play much better, I reckon.
  • rice_sandwich 7 Nov 2018 15:22:31 4,956 posts
    Seen 43 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @UncleLou

It's not even the graphics. I just get the feeling that it doesn't do enough to obfuscate its inner workings. Some games seem like magic whereas Rimworld seems like the product of an algorithm. Disappointing. Not recommended.
  • DrStrangelove 9 Nov 2018 17:12:12 13,425 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Not recently abandoned technically, but I've noticed I haven't played GTA 5 in a while and will likely never return. I'm tired of doing yoga, watching TV, driving a truck around, placing containers, driving a slow submarine from A to B, towing cars, bicycling with your dumbass son... I talked about Saints Row 3 and how it just tries to be as much fun as possible before; GTA 5 is kind of the opposite, it tries to be as little fun as possible. Sometimes there's action but it's pretty clunky and ever so often some random citizen runs at me, kills me with two punches and I have to repeat the dreary mission.

Story and characters are underwhelming, most of all it's much less funny than it thinks it is. Michael is ok, Franklin is kind of... there, but Trevor sucks. The game's constantly shouting at you "omg look what a psycho he is omg lol", and it really doesn't click with me. That torture scene, I didn't like it but thought well ok, just go on with the game, until Trevor then suddenly held a sermon about how torture is stupid and serves only the torturer's sadism etc... huh? That made the whole thing much more stupid than it needed to be.

I also wonder what they were thinking with his sidekick. He talks like the sidekick in some children's cartoon, like that starfish in Sponge Bob, and the jokes are on the same level*. Is that supposed to be funny? What's going on?

So yes, great sandbox, shit single player campaign. Multiplayer could have been fun without the excessive pay to win mechanics.

It's also the main reason why I'm not going to buy RDR2 in a long time, until it's 70% off or something (if that should ever happen). It looks absolutely gorgeous, but I've lost my trust in Rockstar's ability (or even willingness) to make a game that's fun to play.

*edit: Sponge Bob is funnier actually

Edited by DrStrangelove at 17:27:06 09-11-2018
  • Malek86 9 Nov 2018 23:13:24 8,041 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Battlezone Gold for the PS4.

The idea of turning Battlezone into a rogue-lite isn't actually bad, but ultimately the game is very repetitive, too unforgiving even on the lowest difficulty, and the single stages take too long. I reached the final stage, got killed, and obtained a game over (with relative trophy). I can't be bothered to play anymore, so that's it for me.

There is actually a version of the classic Battlezone included, with dual threads control even. But for some reason, it plays very differently from the original game. The tank moves faster, the bullets reload more slowly, etc. Considering that Rebellion bought the license, I'm surprised they didn't make it exactly like the original. This version feels a little weird to play. Maybe I'll stick to my Atari Anthology one.

Anyway, good thing I didn't pay much for the game. I imagine most of the appeal was the VR effect, but I don't have the headset, so...
  • SnackPlissken 3 Dec 2018 18:30:38 606 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 12 months ago
    Iím giving up on Red Dead for the time being. Iím on Chapter 5, but I canít bring myself to complete it at the moment. I hate all of the characters, and it just seems like a huge slog to play another 10+ hours to complete it. Maybe next year Iíll pick it up again.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 4 Dec 2018 22:20:42 4,902 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @SnackPlissken The point I've hit on every 3d-era Rockstar game bar Bully...
  • bentrophy 5 Dec 2018 06:11:25 8 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    Overwatch. I've been playing and enjoying Paladins more and it's available in the handheld console.
  • DUFFMAN5 5 Dec 2018 10:58:07 23,938 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    SnackPlissken wrote:
    Iím giving up on Red Dead for the time being. Iím on Chapter 5, but I canít bring myself to complete it at the moment. I hate all of the characters, and it just seems like a huge slog to play another 10+ hours to complete it. Maybe next year Iíll pick it up again.
    Conversely at around 10 odd hours wouldn't it be better to complete and put to bed? Chapter 5 is very short. I started and finished it yesterday. Just started 6.
  • Darth_Flibble 7 Dec 2018 10:19:23 3,247 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Strange Brigade

Played in co-op and its still gets boring very quick, if the game was released after Gears2 horde mode then it might have seemed a bit fresh. They do add ideas from COD zombies mode like opening doors and buying weapons but the aiming feels a bit shit. Campaign levels don't feel like a campaign, they feel like horde levels with waves and waves of dumb enemies to kill with the odd simple puzzle. It feels old to play for 2018 game and not in retro way

Luckily a gamepass game, so no money lost
  • puma_085 7 Dec 2018 10:29:47 8 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    Read Dead Redemption 2. I have never been a Fan of Rockstar Games, i played their GTA Games just for fun and never finished them.

I like the Setting and the Characters of Red Dead Redemption 2 much more than the GTA Characters. But even my weakspot for the western Setting could not encourage me to finish it.

The Game is just to vast for my liking.

I give the game 9/10

It is a great game for sure just not for me.
  • RyanDS 20 Dec 2018 08:36:34 12,409 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    RDR2

My god it is boring. Looks pretty, and maybe gets better, but 3 hours in and the controls are just so fucking shit, unresponsive and slow I just can't be bothered. 4 nights in a row tried to get into it, and always end up binning it for Crash Bandicoot on the switch. From memory the first was similar so I should have been prepared.

Damn, was hoping for something over crhistmas to keep me entertained, I think I may need to replay Persona 5 instead to pass the time.
  • Rodney 23 Dec 2018 21:03:24 3,677 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Hellblade.

Stunning to look at but utterly boring. Played for about 30 minutes and all I did was walk frustratingly slowly through a nicely rendered corridor listening to jibberish dialogue.

Had a quick look on YouTube and it appears that's pretty much the game.

I don't get a lot of time to play games these days so I have a low tolerance for games that don't respect my time. I might get 30 minutes to play before bed so if the first 30 minutes of a game consists of a tedious intro or tutorial I just feel ripped off.
  • Rodney 23 Dec 2018 22:12:53 3,677 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Far cry 2.

It's faults are well know but I was surprised by how badly it has dated graphically. Muddy textures and so much bloom!

What it does do well is physics. I don't remember it being a big selling point but the fire, destructability, penetrable materials, and weighty feeling combat are fairly unique even today. It made me want a modern shooter that made its world as equally kinetic.

I gave up playing this after about 5 hours because the world is just too empty. Getting to missions takes too long and the card are ridiculously slow and there are too few enemies (even with the remaining checkpoints).
  • Mola_Ram 23 Dec 2018 22:15:36 19,080 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    That is... probably the first time I've ever heard someone complain about FC2 having too few enemies. :)

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.