Recently-abandoned games Page 247

• pyper777 2 Jun 2019 19:16:17 218 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Adventure Time: Pirates of the Enchiridion
    Got this with GWG a few months ago, tried it and thought it'd be like Wind Waker. Empty world with turn-based combat (which I hate), shame as it has funny dialog.

I liked Witcher 3 so much I bought it again on PC to play DLC stuff.
  • adamasunder12 2 Jun 2019 19:44:27 464 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    Addy__ wrote:
    Witcher 3 is a weird one for me. I love the story, the quests, the game world. I fucking hate the combat and stupid horse.
    Same.

I see what DrStrangelove is saying as the moving parts just aren't all that compelling to me but it is more than the some of it's parts.
  • JamboWayOh 2 Jun 2019 19:48:15 14,230 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    adamasunder12 wrote:
    Addy__ wrote:
    Witcher 3 is a weird one for me. I love the story, the quests, the game world. I fucking hate the combat and stupid horse.
    Same.

I see what DrStrangelove is saying as the moving parts just aren't all that compelling to me but it is more than the some of it's parts.
    Well no, he said that it's an objectively bad game and that Mass Effect Andromeda is more enjoyable. These are both incorrect statements.
  • adamasunder12 2 Jun 2019 20:00:05 464 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    Well, yeah objectively he's wrong for saying objectively.
  • Mola_Ram 3 Jun 2019 13:35:22 20,831 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I think I'm going to abandon Dead Cells for good. I went back to see what the DLC added, but all of it seems to be for people who can finish the thing on the highest difficulty. And that's never going to be me, as I'm crap at the game and (more importantly) I don't feel the urge to get better at it.

It's not a bad game by any stretch, it's just not for me. I'm beginning to think that action games aren't my thing anymore.
  • KnuttinAtoll 6 Jun 2019 09:57:58 7,351 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Dark Souls 3

Objectively speaking, it's a good game and does what it's set out to do well enough (I don't think it's the best of the series - that remains to be DS1).

But my gaming habits and tenacity levels have changed drastically over the past years - I'm playing a lot more sandbox-style games where you can just potter about, and have very little patience for more old-school trial-and-error type gameplay including learning levels, attack patterns, enemy positions etc. by repetitive backtracking due to dying constantly when making the tiniest of mistakes (my reactions are also not the best these days so that doesn't help) - and if I really want to play this sort of stuff, I can just boot up an emulator; at least those games are short and don't require remembering where you left off if you haven't played them in a while.

While defeating and clearing an area can be very satisfying, the sense of wasting a lot of time making very little progress (some bosses took me over a dozen attempts and I only managed to overcome them by summoning others) has been wearing me down over the past 5 or so hours in particular (clocked about 35 in total with my only playthrough).

Combined with a 'story' and lore that's going way over my head and is ultimately standard Souls fare, a ridiculous amount of gear choice that is only useful if you upgrade it so you need to grind souls and rare materials (very good replayability though - but I couldn't see myself starting this again), I've given up on this while facing the Dancer boss which annoyed me with (I'm finding at least) cheap one-hit-kills more often than not.

Ended up youtubing the rest of the game, and am happy to say that I made the right decision - while the game looks as beautiful as ever, I'm glad I'm not putting myself through the pain that was still ahead of me, despite me being relatively close to the end really. I also realised that I missed a lot of optional stuff, which, without a guide, I definitely would've never seen anyways. Plus, the endings were all a lot more naff than expected to be quite honest.

I'm still holding the Souls games very close to my gaming heart, however I think I'm done with this type of game. First time I abandon a game from this series, having completed all of the others (except BB as I don't have a PS4) including the Platinum for DS1, and it makes me a bit sad, but if I'm not having fun playing, and just try to rush towards the end of it (with aforementioned very little payoff), then what's the point.

Edited by KnuttinAtoll at 10:04:02 06-06-2019
  • HarryPalmer 6 Jun 2019 15:19:57 5,947 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Give Sekiro a go :)
  • TheHammerite 6 Jun 2019 17:16:21 3,455 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @KnuttinAtoll

Press up, down, left, left, right, on the title screen and you unlock easy mode.
  • TheHammerite 15 Jun 2019 10:54:12 3,455 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Legacy of kain: Defiance

I'm a fan of the series but it's been awhile since I played through Soul Reaver. Things just feel a bit dated which isn't a surprise given its age.

The voice acting and story is the best in the business.

The combat is quite basic and even though you get to play as two characters, they feel very similar.

Raziel's realm shift ability actually seemed like a chore to perform.

The puzzles were often tedious.

I would have probably played through to completion but I lost my save data and I cannot be bothered to play through 9 hours to get back to where I was.
  • Malek86 15 Jun 2019 13:10:23 8,598 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I think Defiance was the one the felt most inspired by DMC than anything else. I would just stick to Blood Omen 1 and Soul Reaver 1.
  • gooner77 15 Jun 2019 14:08:33 1,405 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Fallout 76 trial, lasted about an hour on it.

I wanted to give it the benefit of the doubt and see if 6 months of updates had made it fun.

I was wrong. It looked awful and plays terribly was bored after 15 mins.
  • JamboWayOh 15 Jun 2019 14:19:26 14,230 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    gooner77 wrote:
    Fallout 76 trial, lasted about an hour on it.

I wanted to give it the benefit of the doubt and see if 6 months of updates had made it fun.

I was wrong. It looked awful and plays terribly was bored after 15 mins.
    Ha. Where's that guy that said everyone was piling on Fallout 76 because it was cool to hate rather than you know, it being a pile of shit. A pile of shit that came free with my xbox one x and I couldn't get rid of it. Managed to offload it here luckily.
  • DrStrangelove 15 Jun 2019 15:23:04 14,373 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I mean, I still think Fallout 4 is a decent game overall (albeit held back by some very serious issues), but I couldn't even be bothered to download 76 for a free trial. All Fallout 4 is good for is some ok single player time sink if you ignore the narrative. I can't see how making it an MMO would not just make it shittier.
  • ChiefGB 16 Jun 2019 00:32:39 11,086 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah I gave the trial a go, it actually looked better than I expected (pretty sharp on the x) but it all just felt so pointless. Just busywork with little incentive.
  • Darth_Flibble 23 Jun 2019 16:00:06 3,528 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    State of decay 2: Heartland (DLC)

A story was badly missing from the base game, the game was just resources fetching game in a broken mess of a game. The DLC now has a story but its the same broken mess of a game. As the game makes you more dependant on resources than the 1st game, you can lose a character or car because the game is broken mess and the game fucks you over, like my playthrough today.

All the problems from when it first went on gamepass are still there, cars hit invisible objects and blow up or get stuck (using the get stuck thing actually reset my progress on the mission) The OP special zombies are still not fun to fight. Also the car destroying bug is still there from last year
    https://www.reddit.com/r/StateOfDecay/comments/8xenm6/bug_cars_explode_or_drift_to_extensive_damage/

I was hoping the game was fixed up since last year, as the DLC is on gamepass, I didn't pay anything for the DLC thankfully. Hopefully with being owned by MS now they can make a decent game next time.

2/10
  • KnuttinAtoll 8 Jul 2019 10:50:20 7,351 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    So I'm considering Forza Motorsport 7 as a contender.

Been playing this on and off since release (single player sort of finished, although not 100% - was quite a chore though), and while it's not bad, its shortcomings are really irking me at this stage.

Online is stupid bumpercars and getting to race takes forever, so not an option to spice things up. Cars all more or less handle the same (and without tunes awfully so), homologation rules are holding it back from being a proper caRPG, then silly stuff like constant exhaust misfires (even on stock hatchbacks, gtfo) and sound getting 'stuck' for a couple of seconds, grate after a while.

This game eats up about 100GB on my hard disk, and I could do with that space trying different games instead.

But I know that as soon as I delete it, I'll want to play it again (usually Youtube videos encourage me, only to realise it's more fun to watch someone else play it rather than myself). Whenever I do boot it up, I have fun for 5 minutes then get bored and think I should be playing Horizon 4 instead.

First world problems, and in this case a massive, serious one for certain!
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 8 Jul 2019 12:18:33 6,159 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @KnuttinAtoll I mostly liked FM7, but that puts me in a small minority. Your criticisms of it are valid.

I really hope that for the next one, they focus on being a really good carpg and not just another Gran Turismo / Project Cars hardcore motorsports game.
  • KnuttinAtoll 8 Jul 2019 13:38:33 7,351 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Rogueywon I liked it initially (it was the first ever FM title for me since I never owned an XBox) but it's become a drag to play.

I think another issue with FM7 (but other games suffer from this as well) is that the game throws so many free cars at you (many of which I don't want/need) that the sense of car ownership you got in the earlier GT games (you buy one car, and slowly upgrade it due to lack of credits initially) is sorely missing.

I look at my collection of 100s of vehicles across various classes and can't decide what to drive, and because the menus are so laggy I give up shortly after (it sounds silly but I'm really surprised T10 isn't able to sort this out after all this time).

I guess that suggests I should just remove it from the HDD and move on, but that would mean I'd likely never touch it again due to the huge download required.

Horizon 4 in comparison plays much better overall - smooth and consistent experience throughout.

As for Gran Turismo - really disliked the idea of GT Sport but watching and reading about it almost makes me want to buy a PS4, just for that. Almost.
  • Darth_Flibble 8 Jul 2019 17:16:29 3,528 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I found the same with forza 6 when it was first released, traded it quite quickly (when I played 4 for ages. Have 5 on GwG and barely played it (also its launch game that is bare bones compared to the other games) I think they need to make the game more interesting as they have just improved the graphics. While some like more of the same, its got very samey for me. Maybe a mode where you spend all your money on woman, drugs, yachts and hitting paparazzi as you make your way up the motorsport world :)
  • DUFFMAN5 8 Jul 2019 18:25:29 24,793 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I think Forza 2 and 3 are without doubt the best in the series and probably 2 the best overall, as for Horizon. I think 3 is my fav.
  • Darth_Flibble 8 Jul 2019 19:37:09 3,528 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Forza Horizon 2 is my fav of the FH series (apart from that bellend from eastenders who called you mate all the time), 4 is close 2nd as I liked the setting. But for me is another series that is been put out again and again with a few new things. it has to something really new
  • RawShark 9 Jul 2019 00:32:48 683 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I ended up giving up on Pokemon Letís Go right after I unlocked the Pokemon park feature. The motion controlled catching was just broken - especially in a game meant for kids. And it made the primary gameplay loop tedious to the point of being borderline unplayable - walk around and wrestle with the catch controls or get auto-challenged in a series of boring as fuck battles. The choice is yours. And the UI was utterly godless - less intuitive than the Game Boy original. How does that work?

And I canít emphasise this strongly enough - any game, ANY game, that doesnít have auto save on it now is a piece of shit. I lost two hours of gameplay because I wanted to restart a battle and assumed that closing the game would take me to just before the battle. Wrong. If Breath of the Wild can autosave everything despite the massive nature of its world then so can Pokemon.

Seriously the game is dog shit.
  • Darth_Flibble 13 Jul 2019 18:20:40 3,528 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    A friend wanted to try the Dead rising 4 MP mode, its complete fucking dog shit of a mode. Boring repetitive objectives endless recycled, their spam you with this fast zombies that are annoying. Also picking up weapons or food is a pain when they are just scattered after a reward crates. Starting Safe houses have no good weapons, even if we had 2 more friends playing it, it still would be shit

Another friend sent me DR4 video on YT just now, its of the devs talking shit about the fans that loved DR1 to 3. and the devs are bunch of smug hipster looking cunts.

0/10. fuck this MP mode
  • kentmonkey 13 Jul 2019 19:52:52 23,073 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Goat simulator

What. The. Fu(bleat) is this fuc(bleat) piece of sh(bleat).
  • Malek86 13 Jul 2019 20:43:31 8,598 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    If you have Game Pass, try Supermarket Shriek for some much better goat action.
  • kentmonkey 13 Jul 2019 21:18:17 23,073 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Malek86 wrote:
    If you have Game Pass, try Supermarket Shriek for some much better goat action.
    I do and I have. Totally agree as well!
  • GuybrushFreepwood 14 Jul 2019 07:35:52 1,199 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 12 months ago
    @kentmonkey I played a demo of that a while ago and didnít play more than half an hour or so.
  • Bloodastral 18 Jul 2019 14:07:54 92 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Bard's Tale IV. Buggy game ate my saves and too far in to bother starting again.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 19 Jul 2019 16:59:49 6,159 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Warhammer 40K: Inquisitor: Martyr

Picked this up in the Steam summer sale, thinking a bit of WH40K-inspired Diablo might be fun. Unfortunately, this fails to rise above the average standard of recent 40K games, held down by poor game mechanics, blurry, ill-defined visuals and generally crap production values.
  • minky-kong 19 Jul 2019 17:02:00 14,322 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    WORRHAMUH!

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.