Recently-abandoned games Page 248

• Darth_Flibble 20 Jul 2019 14:46:37 3,528 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Lego city undercover (xbox one game pass)

I only play a few of the lego games as they are samey and horribly grindy to unlock the better things. Heard a lot about the game when its was on the wiiU, turns out it was just fanboy shit because it was exclusive at the time.

The game could of been a lot better if it played into the 70's cop show vibe which is slightly there, where you smash up everything in mad car chases but one mission is being a farmer and its fucking boring and another is being a fireman which is also dull. Saw a video of the last level which looks better but even for a game made in 2013(ish) the gameplay feels like a game on the 360 (apart from the sandbox world city)

Also the game is very buggy on xbox one and crashed several times (never hard that on a lego game on 360 or lego batman 3 on x1.
  • kentmonkey 21 Jul 2019 15:29:55 23,073 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Does Shadow warrior 2 massively improve after the first 30 mins? As at the moment it's heading for the abandon pile due to bland FPS action and me bouncing hard off of the "humour". Like a flaccid cock hitting a tambourine, to put it in the words of Wang.
  • JamboWayOh 21 Jul 2019 15:36:28 14,230 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I thought it was terrible, like it felt cheaply made and just felt very dated.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 21 Jul 2019 15:39:09 6,159 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    JamboWayOh wrote:
    I thought it was terrible, like it felt cheaply made and just felt very dated.
    Agreed. Bought it on the basis of the EG review and ended up deeply disillusioned. Felt like a bad Borderlands clone based on rubbish technology.
  • kentmonkey 21 Jul 2019 15:42:50 23,073 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Thanks both. That's abandoned then.

Dated, but not in a Serious Sam 'simple arcadey fun' kinda way. More like just one of the many, many bland FPS shooters churned out in the 90s on the PC.
  • Darth_Flibble 21 Jul 2019 15:52:46 3,528 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Another here who thought Shadow warrior 2 was shit, it could of been OTT fun but it was boring
  • Tomo 21 Jul 2019 15:54:39 16,678 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    minky-kong wrote:
    WORRHAMUH!
    WOYYHAMMURH is a far superior upcoming game.
  • Tomo 21 Jul 2019 15:57:59 16,678 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I am abandoning pretty much everything I play atm. It's not great.

Black The Fall - deeply frustrating Limbo clone. Uninstalled after numerous swears.

Shadow Tactics - not so much as abandoned, but more I think I've had my fill. Might go back.

SteamWorld Quest - again, I'm playing this out of some compulsion to finish rather than really being excited to play it. I've got a combo of cards and characters which really seem impervious and I can't be arsed to fiddle with other cards, so onwards I plough hoping something will force me to adapt. But it's not really happened and I'm part way through Act 3 now.

Edited by Tomo at 15:58:08 21-07-2019
  • TechnoHippy 21 Jul 2019 16:12:15 15,302 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I quite enjoyed Shadow Warrior 2 - it was very silly, but if you didn't enjoy the first hour or so it won't get any better for you.
  • dai_bonehead 22 Jul 2019 07:20:12 470 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    minky-kong wrote:
    WORRHAMUH!
    See you, Roy.
  • minky-kong 22 Jul 2019 10:12:37 14,322 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Tomo wrote:
    minky-kong wrote:
    WORRHAMUH!
    WOYYHAMMURH is a far superior upcoming game.
    Fucking Benteke, with his Orc army!
  • cowell 22 Jul 2019 10:18:17 1,946 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Spider-Man PS4

So I'm quitting at the start if the third act after the Sinister 6 have got together. Incredible game, but having taken a break, I don't know what I am doing anymore with the controls, lost all my flow. And those jetpack enemies are a royal pain in the arse. After numerous failed attempts at that story mission, its time to move on.
  • ChiefGB 22 Jul 2019 21:14:55 11,086 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Iíd suggest hanging in a bit as it all kicks on another level till end from there iirc after a bit of a dip. I canít quite remember the best way to manage these guys (donít you gunk up their packs allowing you to slow them down and grab or swing them in some way?) I wasnít a massive fan of the combat in general really as thereís just too much of it and I too found some of it frustrating.
  • Darth_Flibble 27 Jul 2019 13:32:55 3,528 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Tried again with State of decay 2 heartland DLC

its still such a badly put together content, managed to take down the 1st main plague wall, the 2nd is a joke, 2 or 3 juggernauts and bloater and shit ton of plague zombies (the boombox and fireworks are a bit useless) As much I want to like SoD2 dlc is still painful to play at points
  • kentmonkey 27 Jul 2019 14:24:20 23,073 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Perfect Dark (Rare Replay)

I didn't come into this with rose tinted specs as I didn't play it upon its original launch so I can only judge this on how it plays now, not what nostalgia it gives me.

That said, I really don't understand the love. Poorly designed levels, terrible AI and not a patch on Timesplitters 2 (despite being from a similar era) or many pc shooters of the time.

I guess it might have been a multiplayer thing but it's certainly not a great single player story experience.

Definitely not for me.
  • JamboWayOh 27 Jul 2019 14:29:00 14,230 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    kentmonkey wrote:

I didn't come into this with rose tinted specs as I didn't play it upon its original launch so I can only judge this on how it plays now, not what nostalgia it gives me.

That said, I really don't understand the love. Poorly designed levels, terrible AI and not a patch on Timesplitters 2 (despite being from a similar era) or many pc shooters of the time.

I guess it might have been a multiplayer thing but it's certainly not a great single player story experience.

Definitely not for me.
    Do you mean Perfect Dark Zero, because Timesplitters 2 was made by the people who made the original perfect dark.
  • kentmonkey 27 Jul 2019 14:46:13 23,073 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Nope the original. I had played perfect Dark zero before (and didn't like it) but heard Perfect Dark was much better.

I really enjoyed Timesplitters 2 (I didn't know it was the same people).
  • PazJohnMitch 27 Jul 2019 15:24:05 14,594 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Timesplitters 2 was made by Free Radical which spun off from Rareware about the time Microsoft bought them. (Rareware made Perfect Dark).
  • Graxlar_v3 28 Jul 2019 20:03:52 7,311 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    kentmonkey wrote:

Definitely not for me.
    Maybe you are remembering timesplitters with rose tinted glasses?
  • DangerousDave_87 28 Jul 2019 20:40:33 6,245 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    TimeSplitters 2 Isis a classic, but it is a fair few years after Prefect Dark and focuses primarily on a highly polished multiplayer experience.

Perfect Dark is a bit of mess, though. It was a pretty rough experience on N64, too. Although technically more advanced, I always thought it looked uglier than GoldenEye. To many colours and too much for the eyeballs to read properly. I remember very little of the single player, either, besides it feeling like a constant chore.
  • kentmonkey 28 Jul 2019 20:42:10 23,073 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Graxlar_v3 I played it fairly recently and, although it wasn't as 'great' as I remembered, I felt it held up a lot better than PD did. A 7 vs the 9 of the time. PD, based on the little time I gave it, was a 3-4 in comparison.
  • Malek86 28 Jul 2019 22:46:06 8,598 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Even if we consider it a product of its time, I never liked that in PD you can't save during missions. Considering that you can fail a mission by screwing up certain objectives, forcing you to restart isn't a good idea.
  • evild_edd 30 Jul 2019 08:54:17 4,118 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Personally I always felt that PD, TS and Goldeneye were all hugely overrated. The latter, in particular, relied on having a group of drunk mates playing regularly together to enjoy what was otherwise a shoddy experience with shonky controls.

(I get that Goldeneye was pioneering for FPS on consoles but I never enjoyed the SP side of it)
  • voden 30 Jul 2019 09:05:07 743 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I thought the SP of Goldeneye was brilliant at the time. It doesn't hold up now but at the time I didn't know any better for controls.
  • Mola_Ram 30 Jul 2019 09:25:06 20,831 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I think it was one of the first FPS games to have variable mission objectives beyond just "kill things" and "get to the exit". It wasn't significant just because it pioneered console FPS games.
  • Rhaegyr 30 Jul 2019 09:49:50 4,780 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Wish a few more games did what Goldeneye did - more objectives depending on the difficulty level you select. Thought this was a great idea and can't really think of another game that uses this well.
  • Malek86 30 Jul 2019 10:05:58 8,598 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Mola_Ram it's not like the PC didn't have several of those already (System Shock, Strife, Realms of the Haunting, Magic Carpet, etc).

I really believe most of Goldeneye's reputation comes from it being a console game. On PC, it wouldn't have been half as remarkable. On consoles, admittedly, it was like nothing else before it.
  • Darth_Flibble 31 Jul 2019 16:19:01 3,528 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I think this counts, not my game but got forced into playing to help out a friend's step brother as he got stuck - Kingdom Hearts 3

What a piece of shit over rated game, sites like giant bomb, IGN, gameinformer etc rave about this game but its fucking awful, shit combat, awful game design, cutscene after cutscene of gibberish. Even for a kids game I think he does not like it

I really hope he does not get stuck again
  • docrob 31 Jul 2019 23:03:09 1,193 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Malek86 wrote:
    @Mola_Ram it's not like the PC didn't have several of those already (System Shock, Strife, Realms of the Haunting, Magic Carpet, etc).

I really believe most of Goldeneye's reputation comes from it being a console game. On PC, it wouldn't have been half as remarkable. On consoles, admittedly, it was like nothing else before it.
    Not sure about that. Goldeneye was, I think, the first game where you could zoom in and snipe enemies from miles away (and watch their friendsí startled reactions). I recall very well the day I first saw that at a friendís house. I donít think anything on the PC did that before then.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 31 Jul 2019 23:12:52 6,159 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Darth_Flibble Ehh... I mostly liked KH3. I'd rate it a 7.5/10 or so.

But as an entry-point to the series, it is awful.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.