Recently-abandoned games Page 250

• MiniSchnauz 22 Aug 2019 00:58:01 297 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    JamboWayOh wrote:
    Now TF2 is a brilliant sp campaign.
    +1

It's the best FPS campaign there has been in a long time. Better than Doom and Wolfenstein:TNO by a long way.
  • DrStrangelove 22 Aug 2019 01:19:28 14,670 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It's reached the "playable" mark but apparently that means you can play the tutorial parcours and nothing else. But that glimpse alone already feels pretty substantial and satisfying compared to BF1 and SWBF2. Looking forward to the whole package.

Edited by DrStrangelove at 01:23:05 22-08-2019
  • DrStrangelove 22 Aug 2019 02:06:58 14,670 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    You know what, I'll just add Star Wars Battlefront 2 (single player campaign) to my list of abandoned games (and my list of EA games I've abandoned 2/3 through). It's such a flimsy broken afterthought tacked on to a multiplayer game it's just a waste of time. In its best moments it feels like a poor man's Mass Effect Andromeda and that's the greatest praise for it I can think of. Still better than Battlefield 1 though.

I know it's against a rule to give a score to an unfinished game but I'll rate the first 2/3 of these games anyway: Battlefront 2: 5/10 - Battlefield 1: 3/10. Please note I'm not saying anything about the MP experience, just the SP side.

Edited by DrStrangelove at 02:16:36 22-08-2019
  • minky-kong 22 Aug 2019 09:43:05 14,428 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I vageuly recall actually enjoying the Battlefield 1 campaign, certainly wasn't as excruciatingly bad as the campaigns in 3 and 4.
  • ChiefGB 22 Aug 2019 10:12:50 11,625 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I think 1 is better than what Iíve played of 5ís although similar of sorts, plus thereís more of it. Although if you donít get anything out of it then I guess thatís no help.
    Yeah I was ok for what it was trying to do. I remember the flying one was alright plus the one with Shane from neighbours.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 25 Aug 2019 15:58:37 6,733 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Ion Fury

Fucking hell, that was terrible. Don't get me wrong, I'm 100% up for a new Build engine game. I like the look of this. I like the protagonist and the dumb one-liners. But the gameplay is fucking awful. The level design is terrible. It keeps the "where the fuck do I go next" moments from the old games, where you wander around for ages looking for the little gap you missed, while somehow also being boringly linear. The gunplay is horrific and lacks any sense of weight or heft. Quite possibly the least satisfying shotgun in all of gaming.

I actually fired up the recent DN3D re-release to see if it was just the age of the thing that was getting to me. But no... dated though it is (in all kinds of ways), DN3D is all kinds of fun. Ion Fury, on the other hand, is just awful. Fortunately, I stopped playing within the Steam refund window.
  • TechnoHippy 28 Aug 2019 13:36:01 15,532 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Quantum Break

For the most part I enjoyed it - the story was engaging, but the awful platforming sections and boss fights did mar the experience. But I made it to what I think is the final boss fight, but it was so frustrating I've given up on it.
  • RedPanda87 28 Aug 2019 15:30:28 1,961 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Rogueywon maybe give Dusk a try if you haven't, it seems to be the best reviewed of these new retro FPS games and from what I've played of it is good fun.
  • Malek86 28 Aug 2019 15:39:24 9,063 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Rogueywon I do think DN3D is a bit overrated, if only because people always think of LA Meltdown, which had some great level design. But unfortunately the two remaining episodes, Lunar Apocalypse and Shrapnel City, have too many levels that range from mediocre to dreadful.

I know it was a common idea at the time to put the best levels at the beginning of the game, but it does contribute to the rose-tinted glasses that so many people have.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 28 Aug 2019 16:42:46 6,733 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Malek86 Actually, I think DN3D's third episode had some great levels - really twisty design and novel layouts.

The second episode, on the space station, was undeniably a big pile of poo. But there was good stuff towards the end of the game. Plus the general feel of the game was really good even when the levels sucked. The weapons were nicely varied and had real heft to them. I still rate the DN3D shotgun as one of the most satisfying in gaming history and that's before you even get to the more exotic weapons.
  • its-H1ggyLTD 31 Aug 2019 21:30:08 510 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    Bounced pretty hard off Astroneer twice now.
  • monsieur-Cosmo 1 Sep 2019 09:28:45 502 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Dirt Rally - too hard and I don't have patience for it. Also tracks are a bit too long for my taste. Plus, wth is this "joker lap" malarkey. Hate it.
    Allan Wake - I don't know what happened, one day I was enjoying it the next day... not anymore.
    EDIT: In the meantime I un-abandoned Dirt Rally feeling it was a bit unfair to leave such a great work after a few hours of play.
    Guess what, it seemed even harder than my first try. I gave it a fair amount of time again, but no. I am obviously not hardcore enough to subject myself to this. So, re-abandoned... for good.
    Abzu - well my feelings went from, like "Wow, games can really be art!" to "Yawn, this is so boring." Gave it a couple hours, at least.

Edited by monsieur-Cosmo at 16:17:40 10-09-2019
  • Darth_Flibble 8 Sep 2019 11:27:21 3,709 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Blair Witch

Want to like the game but it has the Dev's usual brand of bad game design over what could be a great game. Like their Observer game, great atmosphere and setting etc but then has the most utter shit stealth sequences (eg the one in the corn field being the worst) but in this game, first of all the graphics look really bad at standard xbox (or ps4) at night and it can be hard to find where you need to go next and the dog sometimes just goes round it circles around the map like on chapter 4, following the dog and he is just doing laps around the forest. Also so far its not very interesting but I have gears5 to play and rather play that than try to find what I need to do next

The devs need to stop remaking Layers of fear again and again

4/10
  • RunningMan 8 Sep 2019 14:15:56 2,975 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Fell seal, tactics rpg. Pretty decent but massive difficulty spike at the end and can't be bothered. Enemies scale 2 your level, so can't even grind it out. Shame but life's too short.
  • dsmx 8 Sep 2019 19:40:27 8,489 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Darksiders 3. I've got as far as a church crypt and I'm can't stand the combat mechanics any more and deleted the game.

Some enemy attacks track you some don't, there's no way to tell and because of this dodge direction is utterly pointless it only matters when you press the dodge button.

The enemy hit indicator is pointless as it indicates too late and sometime too early again with no way to tell. The controls aren't that well thought out either making using abilities harder to use than they should be.

Overall I just end every session with it annoyed because I never feel like I died because I did something wrong. I always die because the games controls, gameplay feedback and weaponry all don't feel right and it gets in the way of the gameplay.

I still enjoyed Darksiders 3 more than Remnant chiefly because the game world is better to look at and explore, the plot is more interesting to follow and the combat is a bit better but both are still at best average to good games.
  • MrAGSystems 10 Sep 2019 15:57:44 241 posts
    Seen 10 seconds ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    Days Gone

Aside from the fact Deacon is an angry 14 year old and the script must've been discovered on the back of a used napkin, it's just not a very good game.

Mechanically it's sound (even if the bike burns fuel like a Bugatti Verion at top speed) bit wow is it repetitive. Clear out freaked best, clear out bad guy camp, repeat.

zzz
  • Quint 10 Sep 2019 16:23:18 59 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The Caligula Effect: Overdose

I might pick this up again at some later time, but to be honest it's unlikely.

I mostly play RPGs for the characters in them, but even if there's no interesting characters I can still enjoy them if there's a good story. Caligula Effect however doesn't have any character or story that I find interesting.

Add to that the 500+ NPCs with social links and quests etc that in theory can be somewhat ignored, but the completionist in me just have to talk to multiple times to build their rep and get their quests etc and I feel like I spend all my time running around talking to people giving me randomly generated dialogs instead of progressing the (uninteresting) story :)

So while I hate giving up on games, especially jRPGs, I've been having a really difficult time bringing myself to start this game up.
  • Wavey 10 Sep 2019 17:39:53 937 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @dsmx Did you try with the other control scheme? I read they added a second option with a better dodge. I don't know myself, just wondering :)
  • dsmx 10 Sep 2019 23:52:18 8,489 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Wavey wrote:
    @dsmx Did you try with the other control scheme? I read they added a second option with a better dodge. I don't know myself, just wondering :)
    I didn't try the other control scheme because I forgot about it. But even if I did switch to the alternative control scheme it won't help against what finally made me give up with the game, the enemy attacks that track you.

When I dodge to the left and the enemy attacks to right, misses but I still get hit you can fuck right off. But worlds fail me when in my next attempt against the same enemy I see the same attack and this time you can see the enemy fly forward and miss me. I'm left thinking why bother letting people pick a direction to dodge if it has no bearing on if you dodge an attack.

I've dodged into enemy attacks and not got hit because of the arbitrary number of frames you are invulnerable for when you press the dodge button.

Quite frankly in a world after God of War the melee combat in this just isn't acceptable. If I hadn't played God of War first I might be okay with it but I'd still be pissed off with the inconsistent way the game handles enemy attacks.

I wish I was better describing my anger with the game, but I'm just not great with words. But I get so frustrated with games where they get so close to nailing something and piss it away.

There is clearly a lot of effort gone into Darksiders 3 but the melee combat doesn't feel great and I never felt powerful in it, ever.

Bottom line for is if you're going to give me a character to play as who for all intents and purposes is a God I should feel powerful. In this game I felt weaker than everything I ever faced in the game and I'm just left wondering how is this person entrusted with anything more than the tea because they are clearly incapable of defending even a sweet from a child.
  • MrAGSystems 12 Sep 2019 23:55:25 241 posts
    Seen 10 seconds ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    @dsmx Just started - and abandoned - Darksiders III myself. Got as far as Envy and just... nah.

It's remarkably clunky, isn't it? The dodge is shit, and enemies are usually offscreen and no fun to track.

Oh it looks like a PS3/360 game too, ouch.
  • Nanocrystal 13 Sep 2019 00:55:33 1,913 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Arkham Knight - The city looked lovely but the game quickly revealed itself to be a tedious, bloated mess.
  • ZuluHero 13 Sep 2019 08:45:23 7,619 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Astral Chain, story isn't grabbing me any more, and I'm getting a bit fed up just going into the Astral Plain (or plane?) to just fight and follow linear but abstract levels.

Combat was kind of fun for a bit, but it's easy to fall into the same routine for dealing with all the combat situations.

Roll on Links Awakening next week!
  • Zippity-zap 13 Sep 2019 13:13:19 484 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. Whoa, stay your pitchforks and lynch mobs. Itís a beautiful game, with amazing gameplay, even if I only managed about three hours of it. Iíd love to be able to commit to its wonders, believe you me. I genuinely feel like I am missing out.

Itís just...I canít do the open world genre anymore. I boot up BOTW, wander around a bit, open up the map, and just sigh. Then I shut it down and put on Slay the Spire, or Mark of the Ninja...or something that I can immediately invest in, and that is likewise immediately gratifying. Itís not even a question of time commitment. I have the time. I just...canít be bothered traversing massive 3D worlds, or backtracking through them.

So, I guess I am abandoning a genre, not this particular game.

Edit: Strangely, I am still looking forward to Linkís Awakening. Maybe Iím just fucking getting old.

Edited by Zippity-zap at 13:14:33 13-09-2019
  • Tomo 13 Sep 2019 13:23:05 16,986 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @Zippity-zap

Yeah, gotta say I broadly agree. I've not finished/abandoned BotW, Kingdom Come, Evil Within 2, RDR2, Skyrim within the last year.

I'd like to be able to commit to just doing the main storyline, but somehow that feels unsatisfactory as well. I'd rather take a well-crafted, linear, 10 hour game over an open world adventure these days :/
  • Mola_Ram 13 Sep 2019 13:23:17 21,707 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Link's Awakening is veeeery, very different to Breath of the Wild.

Edited by Mola_Ram at 13:23:27 13-09-2019
  • PazJohnMitch 13 Sep 2019 13:28:41 14,778 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It took me a very long time and multiple false starts to appreciate BotW. I didnít really get it until after I had all 4 divine beast powers.

I would recommend keeping hold of it and periodically trying it every so often.
  • Zippity-zap 13 Sep 2019 13:32:58 484 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    Hence my excitement for it. It looks just right for me.
  • Zippity-zap 13 Sep 2019 13:34:47 484 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    PazJohnMitch wrote:
    It took me a very long time and multiple false starts to appreciate BotW. I didnít really get it until after I had all 4 divine beast powers.

I would recommend keeping hold of it and periodically trying it every so often.
    Oh, definitely. I respect the game far too much to get rid of it, and sincerely hope to be able to appreciate it at sometime in the future.
  • Mola_Ram 13 Sep 2019 13:38:27 21,707 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Zippity-zap wrote:
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    Hence my excitement for it. It looks just right for me.
    Oh right. I thought you meant it in a "sucker for punishment" kind of way.

Fwiw I agree with you about open-world games. Even the ones that I really, really like, I rarely actually finish the story in. My list of abandoned ones is far longer than ones I've finished the main story in.
  • Addy__ 13 Sep 2019 13:47:34 1,912 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    ZuluHero wrote:
    Astral Chain, story isn't grabbing me any more, and I'm getting a bit fed up just going into the Astral Plain (or plane?) to just fight and follow linear but abstract levels.

Combat was kind of fun for a bit, but it's easy to fall into the same routine for dealing with all the combat situations.

Roll on Links Awakening next week!
    I dropped it right near the end. Just got bored of it.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.