Following Recently-abandoned games Page 251

• Zippity-zap 13 Sep 2019 13:48:32 450 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Tomo wrote:
    @Zippity-zap

Yeah, gotta say I broadly agree. I've not finished/abandoned BotW, Kingdom Come, Evil Within 2, RDR2, Skyrim within the last year.

I'd like to be able to commit to just doing the main storyline, but somehow that feels unsatisfactory as well. I'd rather take a well-crafted, linear, 10 hour game over an open world adventure these days :/
    I hear you. The last open world game I finished was RDR2, but I really, really, really had to push myself to do so, which isnít what gaming should be about. I seem to be happily gravitating back towards my 2D/arcade style roots. This is not a criticism of any particular genre, open world or otherwise. Rather, itís an acceptance (finally) of what tweaks my gaming nipples, instead of succumbing to the whole ďfear of missing out/maybe this title will affect me differentlyĒ syndrome. Too much wasted money on excellent titles that I inevitably abandon.
  • Zippity-zap 13 Sep 2019 13:53:05 450 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    Zippity-zap wrote:
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    Link's Awakening is veeeery, very different to Breath of the Wild.
    Hence my excitement for it. It looks just right for me.
    Oh right. I thought you meant it in a "sucker for punishment" kind of way.

Fwiw I agree with you about open-world games. Even the ones that I really, really like, I rarely actually finish the story in. My list of abandoned ones is far longer than ones I've finished the main story in.
    In retrospect, yes, I worded that quite poorly, sorry. You know, you and I share eerily similar tastes in games, almost as if we were mutant conjoined twins separated at birth and brought up on similar titles.
  • Dombat 13 Sep 2019 16:49:27 1,645 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I abandoned Breath of the Wild a while back. I really wanted to like it, and there was things I did like about it, but I found myself aimlessly wandering around and struggling to find things to do. I struggled with the combat and kept getting one shot by enemies that were getting harder while my heart count was still pitiful.

I want to give it another chance really but I'd have to buy the game again.
  • MrAGSystems 14 Sep 2019 15:51:32 102 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 1 month ago
    @Dombat I understand why they did it, but I just couldn't get around how easily the weapons broke. Having a collection was insignificant to the point where you may as well have just had the occasional upgrade to one sword.

I'm playing The Witcher III at the minute and you really have to work to get some of the better weapons. The thought of them falling apart after a few hits... nah.
  • Mola_Ram 14 Sep 2019 19:33:32 21,494 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I didn't mind the weapons breaking, really. It forced you to try out new ones, rather than just relying on the same thing all the time.
  • jonathanlealand 24 Sep 2019 09:09:14 3 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    Borderlands 3. Iím a massive fan of BL2 so am still shocked that this one hasnít grabbed me. Itís not the sub-par writing or bugs/lag that are the main culprits though, the nail in the coffin is the gunplay. I know this flies in the face of what everyone else seems to be experiencing but it feels really off to me, I canít seem to ht anything! I went back to Destiny and other shooters just to check if gunplay in other FPS felt ok and yep... I can actually hit things in those games. So yeah.. Iíve given up on BL3, at least until a GOTY edition hits PS5 and then maybe Iíll give it another chance.

Edited by jonathanlealand at 09:09:58 24-09-2019
  • Malek86 24 Sep 2019 10:02:04 8,926 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Bloodstained.

As far as metroidvanias go, it's both too slow and clunky, and too overengineered. The map was seemingly thrown together at random, the combat feels laggy (and I'm not even talking about the Switch version here, I can't imagine how that would feel). The graphics are bad and the writing is worse.

Best thing we got out of this whole mess was Curse of the Moon, now that one was pretty nice.
  • Mola_Ram 26 Sep 2019 19:07:00 21,494 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Puzzle Quest: the Legend Reborn

I've no idea why I even got it. Because it was cheap, I guess, and I played the hell out of it a decade ago.

But good god, it really is a bit shit, isn't it. It doesn't look or sound good, doesn't have an interesting story, or interesting characters. The RPG mechanics are shit, and the match-3 stuff, while addictive for a while, makes you question your choices in life.

It just made me want to play Might and Magic: Clash of Heroes again. Why can't that game get a special edition re-release? :(
  • Tomo 26 Sep 2019 19:11:42 16,778 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Oh I saw that on the eShop and thought about getting it. Glad I didn't...
  • Mola_Ram 26 Sep 2019 19:15:10 21,494 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I dunno, it's enjoyable in a junk food kind of way. It's probably in the higher tier of match-3 games, but I have a low opinion of that genre in general, so that's not really high praise.
  • its-H1ggyLTD 26 Sep 2019 20:08:03 215 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    Thimbleweed Park
  • bighairybear65 26 Sep 2019 20:41:34 291 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Interesting reading about BotW, I too abandoned it due to the mahooosiveness of it, same with AC Origins, come to think of it, Iíve abandoned a lot of genres recently... yes Iím old, but...

Open Worlds
    Beat em ups
    JRPGs
    MARIO
    Online FPS (May go back with new COD)
    Soulsbourne
    Indies
    Platformers
    Retro (as in old games)
    Mad combo style games (Dmc, Bayonetta etc)

Oh and I struggle with driving games lately too.. find GT, Forza and most racetrack games boring (I famously fell asleep during a GT arcade race) but funnily enough still love Rally games... odd 🤔

So yes all above abandoned, I just donít have the time/skill anymore.
    I need adventure games, a start and an end, to be immersed in a story, to be able to complete etc

Tomb Raider, Uncharted, Gears, perfect for me.
    Have become very picky lately, which tbh is a good thing, donít even read about the above any more.

Grumpy git.com 😉

Edited by bighairybear65 at 20:47:43 26-09-2019

Edited by bighairybear65 at 20:48:56 26-09-2019
  • Malek86 26 Sep 2019 22:07:09 8,926 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Overload

It was good, as far as Descent clones go it was very good. But after a few levels (got as far as the second Titan base), the game gets a bit too hard. And so, just like Descent, I decided to drop it early. It was free with Twitch, so no big deal. Too bad though.

I'll see if the new upcoming Descent game is a bit more accessible. I got the old Underground alpha for like two bucks with some indie bundles, and apparently that will still give me the full Descent game when it comes out. Nice.
  • MrAGSystems 26 Sep 2019 22:18:32 102 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 1 month ago
    @bighairybear65 You get immersed in the stories of Tomb Raider and Gears?
  • bighairybear65 26 Sep 2019 23:44:58 291 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @MrAGSystems I do! Probably because theyíre easy going and to the point, donít get me wrong theyíre obviously not going to win literature awards but, yeah when Iím playing them Iím totally there (man!).. just examples of pure escapism, Last of Us was (to me) a perfect game, great story, acting, exciting and great fun... also had a beginning and an end.
    Tomb Raider 2 on psOne was one of the first games I ever completed, loved it and carried on with the hobby, I diversified over the years and played other genres, mostly I guess because I read about them, watched them and felt I should try them but, always enjoyed more story based games..
    Just musing really as to how my gaming has changed over time tis all.
    Iím down to one console now, looking forward to starting Horizon, God o War 4 and Uncharted to name a few..
    However! I must admit, have borrowed my sons Xbox, just to play Gears 5 first.. 😉

Edited by bighairybear65 at 23:45:51 26-09-2019
  • TechnoHippy 27 Sep 2019 10:37:17 15,436 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Welcome to Hanwell

Another game purchase that teaches me to do some research first :-( It seemed like a nice idea, but is clunky to play and filled with insta-death.
  • PazJohnMitch 27 Sep 2019 10:42:40 14,720 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    There is a game about living just outside of Ealing?
  • minky-kong 27 Sep 2019 11:46:41 14,398 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    TechnoHippy wrote:
    It seemed like a nice idea, but is clunky to play and filled with insta-death.
    Sounds like living in the real Hanwell. Nice little animal park nearby though.
  • MrAGSystems 27 Sep 2019 12:14:37 102 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 1 month ago
    @bighairybear65 Each to their own!

I'm totally with you on The Last of Us, one of my favourite games ever. I've enjoyed the Tomb Raider reboots to a degree - finished the first one, played through the second one with the audio muted while listening to music, but Shadow was so poorly written I abandoned it, twice.

I'll say that those three games are some of my favourite games this gen too! Horizon's lead is quite a likeable character, and the story is rather intriguing. Uncharted is like going to the matinee (in a good way) and GoW nails the relationship between the two main characters well.

I wasn't so much questioning your like of games with stories, moreso Tomb Raider - you can probably guess it ain't really a fave of mine 😁
  • Dirt3 27 Sep 2019 12:54:30 492 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I may well buy a PS4 pretty much just to play last of us two and uncharted.

or is it worth waiting for PS5 - almost inevitable that there will be a last of us 2 release on that.

Kind of interesting that PS5 will ship no earlier than april 20, yet last of us 2 is being realeased end of feb 20.
  • DUFFMAN5 27 Sep 2019 12:56:40 24,977 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Dirt3
    I have bought a console to play one specific game on more than one occasion, go for it ;)
  • PazJohnMitch 27 Sep 2019 13:20:03 14,720 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I bought a replacement PS3 just to play the Last of Us after my original was stolen.

I already had a PS4 ordered at the tine and should have just waited for the remaster.
  • Armoured_Bear 5 Oct 2019 00:58:28 27,440 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The Last Guardian

Bags of atmosphere and charm with stunning animation but gives me horrific motion sickness so sadly must be binned :(
  • Some_Goats 5 Oct 2019 08:55:08 135 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Watchdogs 2.

I really rated this game. Had so much fun causing chaos with the gadgets and hacks.

But then there's that really complex circuit connecting puzzle near the end. The TIMED, complex puzzle.

I nailed every other puzzle up until that point but that timed one is throw-the-controller insane. The really annoying voice over doesn't help either.

Broke my heart that I had to quit WD2.
  • DUFFMAN5 5 Oct 2019 09:08:21 24,977 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Some_Goats
    Shame mate. I managed to get past it, but after much frustration and retrying. Maybe go back after a couple of days off 👍

Can't wait until 3
  • MrAGSystems 5 Oct 2019 09:21:20 102 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 1 month ago
    @DUFFMAN5

I muddles through to the end of WD2 but found the gameplay relied way too much on your drones (got more than a bit tired of looking at a grey screen).

Is 3 looking any better?
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 5 Oct 2019 09:47:19 6,533 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    The Last Guardian

Bags of atmosphere and charm with stunning animation but gives me horrific motion sickness so sadly must be binned :(
    Godawful framerate and camera controls will do that. It's not exactly much to write home about on the gameplay front, either. One of the most over-rated games of the current console generation.
  • Armoured_Bear 5 Oct 2019 11:13:41 27,440 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Rogueywon wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    The Last Guardian

Godawful framerate and camera controls will do that. It's not exactly much to write home about on the gameplay front, either. One of the most over-rated games of the current console generation.
    yeah, I wasn't that impressed with the gameplay, really enjoyed the gradual relationship between boy and Trico and Trico's behaviour and animation as well as the mysterious environment but not enough to endure nausea.

Yakuza Kiwami 2 time!
  • MrAGSystems 5 Oct 2019 11:32:10 102 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 1 month ago
    Rogueywon wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    The Last Guardian

Calling it that is being kind.
  • Zippity-zap 10 Oct 2019 12:47:50 450 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Days Gone. Fuck this janky, clunky, bland-as-lint-porridge piece of shit. Without contest, the absolute worst first party release/AAA game that I have played this year, and my biggest regret in terms of wasteful purchases. Get tae fuck!

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.