Recently-abandoned games Page 252

• The_Goon 10 Oct 2019 13:17:15 1,452 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    The Last Guardian

Bags of atmosphere and charm with stunning animation but gives me horrific motion sickness so sadly must be binned :(
    You haven't missed much. I just endured to the end because I thought I should and I probably should have just binned it. Agree with Roguey - most overrated game this gen.
  • minky-kong 10 Oct 2019 14:42:30 14,617 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The_Goon wrote:
    Armoured_Bear wrote:
    The Last Guardian

Bags of atmosphere and charm with stunning animation but gives me horrific motion sickness so sadly must be binned :(
    You haven't missed much. I just endured to the end because I thought I should and I probably should have just binned it. Agree with Roguey - most overrated game this gen.
    I've played worse games this gen, but the controls are a bag of dicks which made the whole thing frustrating.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 10 Oct 2019 15:08:04 26,361 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I really enjoyed it. But then I'm not a soulless monster.
  • minky-kong 10 Oct 2019 15:14:09 14,617 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Be honest, it's because you're obsessed with defecating and there's a trophy for seeing Trico take a dump, isn't it?
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 10 Oct 2019 15:16:52 26,361 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I was sold once I saw they'd accurately modelled his giant anus.
  • JamboWayOh 10 Oct 2019 15:32:22 20,716 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Fuck off Dave
  • Tomo 10 Oct 2019 16:26:25 18,068 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Decks wrote:
    I really enjoyed it. But then I'm not a soulless monster.
    This.

Between this and Angry Goose, I'm beginning to think Roguey is dead inside :(

But please keep giving me free keys thx
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 10 Oct 2019 18:47:31 9,333 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Tomo Eh... I get the joke, but in all honesty the reasons I'm cool on both games are pretty different. Also, I'd put Arsehole Goose in the category of "disappointment", which is a long way up the spectrum from The Last Guardian as it ranks in as "shit".

Arsehole Goose is a lovely idea. When the game actually works, it is charming and hilarious. The problem is that those moments are too few and far between. Between them, there's a lot of faffing around with the pixel-perfect precision sometimes needed to grab stuff, plus wrestling with really irritating controls. I stand by my view that it's a better game to watch than it is to play.

Last Guardian, on the other hand, is just a bad idea badly executed. I know it has pedigree and it gets a lot of leeway based on that. But it's no Shadow of the Colossus. There's no clever commentary on the nature of gaming and no thematic depth. It's just "dawww, cute boy and cute animal" cheap emotional manipulation. The gaming equivalent of those mail-order animal figurines that everybody has some weird aunt obsessed with collecting. The fact that the controls are crap, the camera awful and the gameplay frustrating and dull (trying to stand on the exact right pixel to make the stupid fucking creature perform the action it blatantly needs to) just adds insult to injury.

Arsehole Goose makes me a bit sad (though I'd still rate it a 6/10, so more good than bad), while Last Guardian makes me outright cross.
  • RichDC 18 Oct 2019 15:37:03 8,903 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Bloodborne

Really want to like it but somethings missing. I've taken down four or five bosses but it doesn't feel as if I'm actually progressing anything in terms of a plot. The combat is challenging and fun but I think I've got my £10 worth for now. Might revisit it at some point in the future.
  • MrWonderstuff 18 Oct 2019 15:40:42 3,325 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    its-H1ggyLTD wrote:
    Observer
    How come? Just got this for free.
  • Derblington 18 Oct 2019 15:47:07 33,884 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    RichDC wrote:
    Bloodborne

... it doesn't feel as if I'm actually progressing anything in terms of a plot.
    It's not a narrative game.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 18 Oct 2019 18:00:09 9,333 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Derblington wrote:
    RichDC wrote:
    Bloodborne

... it doesn't feel as if I'm actually progressing anything in terms of a plot.
    It's not a narrative game.
    Though if a certain developer hadn't gone bust, we might one day have got "Tales from Yarnham: A Telltale Games Story".

Goddamit, I kinda want to play that now.

The Moon Presence will remember that.
  • Mr_Sleep 18 Oct 2019 23:54:40 23,490 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    @RichDC The plot of most From Software games are quite obtuse and hard to gauge. The story of bloodborne is actually pretty interesting but it is under layers of quite hard to understand plotting and story telling method.

Also, a lot of the story is told environmentally as well as in dialogue and weapon descriptions. I never really understood what was happening in Dark Souls until much later after watching some videos.
  • monsieur-Cosmo 23 Oct 2019 09:44:17 603 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    KOTOR 2 The Sith Lords (PC) - I really wanted to like this famous RPG from olden days and I appreciate what they did with the support (wide screen, HD, XB controller) but I effing hate games that flood me with text and constant video/audio logs. Would really love a more 'streamlined' space RPG like this. Unfortunately already played Mass Effect

Edited by monsieur-Cosmo at 09:45:07 23-10-2019
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 23 Oct 2019 09:58:39 9,333 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @monsieur-Cosmo I think KOTOR2 might have signalled the start an Obsidian trend that ended up really putting me off the Pillars of Eternity games and Tyranny - the massive tendency to "tell, don't show". KOTOR2 was pretty mild by the standards of what was to come later, but it is still massively lore-dump-y game, particularly in the early stages.
  • monsieur-Cosmo 23 Oct 2019 10:13:06 603 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Rogueywon Cheers for that. You know the older I am the more inclined I get to play 'simpler' games with less 'lore'. It really is time consuming to read/listen/watch all that BS. But I am always in for a good story driven RPG, it just mustn't take too much of my time.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 23 Oct 2019 11:27:17 9,333 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @monsieur-Cosmo I've absolutely nothing against lore-heavy games, but it all depends on how they do it. If you want me to take your game's lore seriously, you need to introduce it organically, alongside gameplay, character development and all those other good things. I can think of plenty of games that do lore well - the Witcher series, Mass Effect and many more. Obsidian's problem is that they like to jump straight into pretty dry world-building and background stuff without actually putting much care into getting the player invested.

I didn't hate KOTOR2, but its opening areas are pretty much an object lesson in "how not to start a game". You spend a hell of a lot of time getting talked at without much indication of why you should care.

Pillars of Eternity 1 and 2 and Tyranny are even worse for this. You get page after page of nested lore explanations, because they've made this huge fantasy world and rather than letting you experience it, they just want to lecture you endlessly on every aspect of it.

They'd have done far better to nab an existing license (like AD&D/Forgotten Realms) and get all the benefits of a ready-made world (like the Baldur's Gate games did) and take a lot of the world background as read. Forgotten Realms is as generic-fantasy as you can get, but it didn't stop Baldur's Gate 2 from being brilliant, because Bioware could focus on story, characters and expanding those bits of lore they actually cared about, taking the generic fantasy setting as read.
  • TechnoHippy 23 Oct 2019 14:45:54 17,707 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Chainsaw Warrior

I wasn't even aware that they'd made a computer conversion of this, and for a few goes the nostalgia was strong, but I should have left it a memory. The design is too RNG heavy (to be fair that's true for the original board game too) and when I finally lucked out on a run to confront the darkness it's a case of needing an immediate lucky hit or death - so now abandoned.
  • RawShark 23 Oct 2019 15:05:57 1,283 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Speaking of a game just released that everyone seems to be abandoning, I really hope Eurogamer do a review of WWE 2K20, because I love seeing that Avoid badge.

Currently has a user score of 1.5 on metacritic and #fixwwe2k20 is trending online. Plus they fucked up the pre order bonuses.

Itís being widely reported elsewhere so not sure why EG havenít picked up on it...

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/kotaku.com/wwe-2k20-is-broken-in-every-possible-way-1839269389/amp

Iíve not played it (and have no intention of it) but some of those letís plays make the game look inexcusable. And I used to love the Smackdown PS2 games back in the day.

Edit: And literally just as I post this EG put up a story about it. Well played

Edited by RawShark at 15:07:21 23-10-2019
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 23 Oct 2019 15:15:06 9,333 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @RawShark I've enjoyed the side-by-sides for WWE2k20 which show how in some ways (excluding resolution) the visuals are a downgrade from the PS2 titles.
  • Darth_Flibble 23 Oct 2019 16:21:47 4,438 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @MrAGSystems

They should get Edwin to review the WWE game
  • challenge_hanukkah 23 Oct 2019 16:40:37 13,046 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Or MrTom.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 23 Oct 2019 19:31:52 9,333 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Darth_Flibble @challenge_hanukkah

I have it on good authority that a joint review was commissoned from and written by both parties. However, on receipt of it, the EG editorial team realised they were in possession of a monster that could not be unleashed upon humanity. They vowed that for the greater good, the hard drive containing the only copy of the review should be sealed in concrete and dumped into a deep oceanic trench. However, before this could happen, some extracts leaked...

From the start, I am struck by a violent colonial assault upon my senses. "WWE" declares the titles. For those less attuned than I to subtle corporate disinformation, that stands for "World Wrestling Entertainment". Note the brutal American siezure of "World", a horrific assault on my refined sensibilities that compels me to set on record the following sixteen paragraphs...
    The outfits for the Divas are incredibly empowering this year, particularly the really tight-fitting ones, where if you tilt the camera just right, you can almost see their..."
    The brutal colonialist onslaught begins on the splash screen. "Press Start" it commands. No dialogue, no negotiation. Just a brutal imperialist reassertion of the master-slave dynamic. "Why should I," I muse, "a man in possession of a refined moral palette and an impeccable beard, allow myself to be dictated to by this vile corporate fascist overlord". After 15 minutes, nothing has happened, so I relent and press start...
    Let's talk about the cameltoes - or rather, the lack of them. This is a striking illustration of why the series must embrace technological advances for next year's installment, with advanced fabric physics enabling...
    Victory. Defeat. These are the only goals. Not once am I empowered to interrupt one of these barbaric spectacles to initiate a dialogue with my opponent, ideally in the form of a collaborative committee process, in which we both work together to secure the optimal division of the rewards for our labour...
    Speaking of missed opportunities, this game could have been way more empowering with some down-and-dirty girl-on-girl mud-wrestling...
    As I pause to oil my luscious beard with thick ropes of my own greasy man-chowder, I reflect on how this game could have been so much more. On how it could have been a genuinely philosophical musing on the failings of late-capitalism and the inherent injust implicit in the...
    ...huge, jiggling empowered bosoms and pert empowered buttocks...
    If anybody's still reading and you work for the Guardian or Salon or, hell, even the Canary, then please, for the love of god, CALL ME. I've got a brilliant 40,000 word piece on the neo-colonial overtones of Shredded Wheat primed and ready to go. Please don't leave me here writing about these nerd games forever...
  • harriselhoff 23 Oct 2019 20:49:29 292 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Post of the year!

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.