Following Recently-abandoned games Page 256

• wuntyate 11 Nov 2019 13:37:23 13,358 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I quite often play Tetris with my balls.

Only when my underwear is a bit tight though.
  • Bichii 11 Nov 2019 13:38:24 2,041 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    wuntyphyve wrote:
    I quite often play Tetris with my balls.

Only when my underwear is a bit tight though.
    I feel if I got back one page it will spoil this excellent next page post.
  • Deleted user 11 November 2019 13:48:32
    That is quite the new page zinger. He should be proud.
  • ChiefGB 11 Nov 2019 17:55:43 11,722 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    But does he hum the theme-toon.
  • Reacher 11 Nov 2019 19:38:17 2,908 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    ChiefGB wrote:
    But does he hum the theme-toon.
    No, he plays it out of his cock like a flute.
  • kentmonkey 17 Nov 2019 09:52:15 23,227 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I don't think I've abandoned a game for over two years, but I've decided to be more choosy with what I spend my time on. Therefore, this week, three have been abandoned.

Outer Worlds (8 hrs)

Not a bad game, but very bland. The loot is almost pointless, the mods even more so, the story neither funny nor good sci fi and the combat worse than Fallout 3, imo.

It needed less. Less loot to make it mean more and less dialogue and lore that seemingly goes nowhere.

It's by no means terrible, and I may return at some point to finish the campaign, but not the greatest example of the genre.

Creature in the Well (1.5 hrs)

Not for me. Love pinball and thought Yoku's Island was fantastic. But this felt a bit too random for me -less about lining up the perfect shot and more about lucky ricochets.

Turing Test (1.5 hrs)

Again a bit like Outer Worlds in that it's perfectly playable, but bland.

In this case the puzzles are way too easy (got 1/3 of the way through without getting stumped in less than 90 mins) and the story not enough to drag you through. There's little mystery involved, and there are just other better examples in this genre in the last couple of years alone (Witness being one).
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 17 Nov 2019 10:03:26 6,930 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    kentmonkey wrote:

It needed less. Less loot to make it mean more and less dialogue and lore that seemingly goes nowhere.
    Welcome to every Obsidian game from Pillars of Eternity onwards.
  • rice_sandwich 17 Nov 2019 11:04:57 5,935 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @kentmonkey

I also gave up on the Turing test, although about half way through. The puzzles do improve but at times the game makes you do them quickly as well as correctly, so if you fall or miss a jump it becomes annoying. I dislike puzzle games with timer mechanics.
  • Malek86 17 Nov 2019 11:05:47 9,188 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    kentmonkey wrote:
    Turing Test (1.5 hrs)

Again a bit like Outer Worlds in that it's perfectly playable, but bland.

In this case the puzzles are way too easy (got 1/3 of the way through without getting stumped in less than 90 mins) and the story not enough to drag you through. There's little mystery involved, and there are just other better examples in this genre in the last couple of years alone (Witness being one).
    Some of the later puzzles do get hard, I was stumped a few times in the last third. That's also when the game gets good. The ending was worth it. Loved the music too.

Compared to Pneuma, this was definitely a better effort overall. I just wish the puzzles didn't take as long to get properly enticing.
  • kentmonkey 17 Nov 2019 15:48:00 23,227 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @rice_sandwich

Absolutely with you on the 'puzzle games shouldn't be timed'.

I play puzzle games for as much as any other reason, to have a change of pace. If I want a stressed out taking experience, there are lots of genres to provide that. It's not what I want from a puzzle game.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 17 Nov 2019 15:51:52 6,930 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Portal wouldn't have worked without the timed component to some of its puzzles, though.

Agree arbitrary time limit mechanics can fuck off (and that goes for Mario as much as for puzzle games), but sometimes they're integral to the mechanics.
  • kentmonkey 17 Nov 2019 15:52:17 23,227 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Also, I realised the other day that I haven't really been enjoying gaming recently. And I linked that to the 'i must complete everything' mentality I had developed.

When I was reviewing games for a few years up until about 5 years ago, I had got into the habit of completing games, whether I really liked them or not. Whereas, before that time, I used to abandon games quite often.

And, although I think gamepass is great, it throws a lot of games your way, most of which are ok games, but nothing more.

Now I don't regret my time spent with any of the above games. But had I completed them, as I normally would, it would have added to the malaise.

Long paste short... I'm hoping this new approach will get my gaming mojo back.
  • kentmonkey 17 Nov 2019 15:58:01 23,227 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Rogueywon yeah if it's integral I can go with that. And Portal is a great example.

But most games don't need time limits.

Also, as a parent of a 5 year old, I would quite like it if games that had 'easy' difficulty levels, were actually easy. He can't play most games because easy has become this weird difficulty level where, basically, the AI just acts erratically, rather than it being easy.

So many racing games he likes to play, but gets frustrated because he can still only finish last, even though he's mostly getting around the tracks without crashing.

Riptide GP he can get around the courses without any major collisions, but because he tends to oversteer into the corners... He finishes last by about 10 seconds each time. Kinda ruins the experience for him, and he gets bored and goes off to do something else.

Although as that something else means he hopefully won't therefore turn out to be an unfit old git like me when he grows up, I guess I should be thankful.
  • rice_sandwich 17 Nov 2019 16:07:11 5,935 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I suppose you should be looking at games actuallty intended for kids rather than adults. The majority of video games appear to be aimed at adults rather than children.

As for puzzle games, I recall reading that satisfaction comes from solving the puzzle, not mechanically implementing the solution (though that can be fun). It's irritating when you know perfectly well what do but can't do it because of janky controls, timers or general fussy stuff.

Edited by rice_sandwich at 16:17:35 17-11-2019
  • kentmonkey 17 Nov 2019 16:19:54 23,227 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Even the 'kids' games can completely miss the audience.

The Pixar Rush and Disneyland games in terms of themes and gameplay are really quite good.

But they require the child to be able to independently operate two thumb sticks at once, and operate in 3D. It's really hard. And kinda misses the point.

He can easily play something like sonic. He can get to the 4th level on his own of the original sonic. Which gives him a sense of achievement.
  • DUFFMAN5 17 Nov 2019 16:29:19 25,137 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @kentmonkey
    I was going to reply to your abandoning Outer Worlds post. As soon as I read what you put I thought "gaming apathy" you have always had that in common with me or at least that is what I remember.

I think it is a good idea not to waste time on something you are not enjoying. I still do waste time with games I'm not really enjoying but I am trying to be more brutal.

I'm currently going through yet another can't be bothered with gaming phase. I have too many games started which never (never) works for me and of those games I'm not overly into any of them.

At least I'm watching some good tv and listening to music (my real passion). I wish I could be motivated to train, play guitar, other instead of gaming but I just can't motivate myself!!!

Anyway onward and upward with the games cull mate. Only play what you enjoy 👍👌
  • rice_sandwich 17 Nov 2019 16:30:43 5,935 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @kentmonkey

This means a 5 year old is better than me at sonic!
  • monsieur-Cosmo 17 Nov 2019 16:51:11 513 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Bland is a perfect word to describe Outer Worlds.
    Anyway in the past week I downloaded, started, played for 3 hours max and abandoned the following Gamepass (PC) games:

The Outer Worlds
    Ori & the Blind Forest
    Hollow Knight
    Bloodstained Ritual of the Night
    Battle Chasers Nightwar
    Bad North Jotun Edition
    Astroneer
    Recore
    Creature in the Well
    Crosscode
    Everspace
    Into the Breach
    Smoke and Sacrifice
    Ruiner
    Shenmue 1+2
    Steamworld Dig 2
    Timespinner
    The Bard's Tale Trilogy
    Undertale
    Void Bastards
    Wasteland 2
    West of Loathing

The only ones I found mildly interesting were Bloodstained (I might return to that one) and Shenmue (nostalgia speaking).
    What the hell is wrong with me?

Edited by monsieur-Cosmo at 16:55:42 17-11-2019
  • whatthefu 17 Nov 2019 16:56:58 1,286 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I loved Ori, Hollow Knight and Bloodstained.
  • rice_sandwich 17 Nov 2019 17:10:59 5,935 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    It's the stress and dissatisfaction of too many choices, many of which are decent but far from great
  • Deleted user 17 November 2019 17:20:06
    Wrong thread. Damn this hangover

Edited by adamasunder12 at 17:20:53 17-11-2019
  • monsieur-Cosmo 17 Nov 2019 17:56:03 513 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    rice_sandwich wrote:
    It's the stress and dissatisfaction of too many choices, many of which are decent but far from great
    Agreed. Still, damn Microsoft for offering this service for 1 euro a month :-) It makes one want to play as many games as possible.
  • kentmonkey 17 Nov 2019 17:57:28 23,227 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @rice_sandwich ha I'll tell him that, it'll make him happy
  • kentmonkey 17 Nov 2019 17:59:25 23,227 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @DUFFMAN5 thanks. 😊

It does kinda feel liberating, in a weird way, to just cull stuff.

And I forgot to add supermarket sweep. A decent 6/10 game that I just don't have time in my life for.

As much as I think gamepass is great value, and would recommend it to anyone, when my sub runs out middle of next year, I won't renew.

Less is more for me.
  • DrStrangelove 19 Nov 2019 00:46:46 14,731 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Wreckfest.

Bought this recently on a Steam sale for 16. Mildly entertaining, but I find it just too unexciting for a demolition racing game. Crashes have no heft, handling is floaty, nice for a few minutes but a bit meh. Actually pretty much what I expected, more Flatout than Destruction Derby. I guess I can give up my hopes for a successor to Destruction Derby ever happening.

Also, why make a Reliant Robin clone if it doesn't fall over? That's the whole point of that car!
  • MrAGSystems 19 Nov 2019 02:05:25 323 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    Yeah I had a fuck it moment recently and paid full price for Wreckfest from the PlayStation Store... instant regret.

The demolition derby mode is passable, mostly because I haven't played a demo derby since DD2 back on the PS1. The derby races are fucking pointless as you'll never won actually trying to smash people, you have to drive as cleanly as possibly to get anywhere.

Less said about online the better.
  • DrStrangelove 20 Nov 2019 01:52:24 14,731 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Memories...

• MrAGSystems 20 Nov 2019 18:42:06 323 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    The Evil Within - slow, clunky (how's about if there's insta-kill traps ye make them possible to disarm without needing the luck of where in his stride they're approached from?) - Resi 4 is more playable than this.

Doom 3 - shooting feels inconsequential and spongy. Unforgivable in a Doom game (or any FPS). Pass...
  • DangerousDave_87 20 Nov 2019 22:00:05 6,581 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    kentmonkey wrote:He can easily play something like sonic. He can get to the 4th level on his own of the original sonic. Which gives him a sense of achievement.
    The original Sonic is a great first game to play. It was the first game I ever played and was a simple, but challenging enough introduction to gaming as a 4 year old. It took a long time to beat that game, but once you master it, you could easily beat most modern 2D platformers.

Super Mario 3D Land/World might make for a decent introduction to 3D platforming and are easier than most Mario games (up until you unlock the post-game bonus stages). It's basically 3 diagonal movement without the need for camera control.

Edited by DangerousDave_87 at 22:01:06 20-11-2019
  • kentmonkey 21 Nov 2019 06:57:34 23,227 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    DangerousDave_87 wrote:
    kentmonkey wrote:He can easily play something like sonic. He can get to the 4th level on his own of the original sonic. Which gives him a sense of achievement.
    Super Mario 3D Land/World might make for a decent introduction to 3D platforming and are easier than most Mario games (up until you unlock the post-game bonus stages). It's basically 3 diagonal movement without the need for camera control.
    Oooh now that is an excellent shout, thanks!

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.