Following Recently-abandoned games Page 257

• Rodney 21 Nov 2019 11:11:58 4,007 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Battlefield V. I don't know I bother with these games. I keep trying to play them but they are just not for me.

The single player campaigns are shit, and I find the multiplayer inaccessible
  • evild_edd 21 Nov 2019 13:04:33 4,183 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Rodney

I'm with you. I've never clicked with the BF series. Overrated.
  • Bichii 21 Nov 2019 13:15:32 2,041 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Bfv is like mp heaven. So bloody amazing. No idea how anyone could play other military shooter like cod with there is bf games. ♥️😍♥️
  • DangerousDave_87 21 Nov 2019 14:14:06 6,581 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Battlefield in multiplayer is excellent, for the most part. Battlefield single player, however, are some of the worst gaming experiences I've ever had.
  • DrStrangelove 21 Nov 2019 14:28:35 14,731 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I can see BF multiplayer is very well made, it's just really not my type of game. The SP campaigns are objectively garbage though.
  • JamboWayOh 21 Nov 2019 14:32:22 16,041 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yeah the sp campaigns aren't great at all. They just feel like boring bot matches, you can give CoD shit but at least it actually feels like a campaign with some thought into it.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 21 Nov 2019 14:41:02 21,770 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Bad Company 2 is probably my favourite ever online game. I've become progressively less interested in them since then though.
  • MrAGSystems 21 Nov 2019 15:03:56 323 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    Another vote for Bad Company 2.

I've enjoyed some of my time with BFV, but it's too much of a cluster fuck. Can be a pain to even spot enemies, particularly on a new map.
  • Bichii 21 Nov 2019 15:46:50 2,041 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    MrAGSystems wrote:
    Another vote for Bad Company 2.

I've enjoyed some of my time with BFV, but it's too much of a cluster fuck. Can be a pain to even spot enemies, particularly on a new map.
    Maybe someone is just too old and too slow now eh Grampa? ;)

Bc2 was incredible though yes. Bc2, bf3&4&5 just wonderful.

Not sure I could pick favourite. Maybe 3.
  • Rodney 21 Nov 2019 18:39:10 4,007 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The first level of the campaign in battlefield V pissed me off. It was 5 minutes of slowly running through a brown trench. Then of course some stupid scripted moment that has you looking at a valley for several minutes while your team mate talks bollocks. Then shoot about 10 people plant a bomb. And then that's it.

It was 15 minutes of walking, maybe 1 minute of actually shooting, and worst AI I've seen since the PS2 generation .

I understand it's a multiplayer game and I can imagine if I had the time to get into it I would get something from it..But for a new.player it's jvery ust frustrating getting constantly killed - often without even seeing who shot you
    .The maps are quite open and it seems death can come from any direction.

At least it actually has proper flight controls rather than the dumbed down controls in previous games - and the prettiest clouds I've ever seen in a game. It made me want a new WWII flying game in the Frostbite engine.
  • kentmonkey 21 Nov 2019 18:58:49 23,227 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Kameo

As it was included as part of the Rare Replay bundle I thought I'd give it a go. I'd always liked the look of it.

30 mins in and I just couldn't get on with the control system in the slightest. Or the fact that it was confusing as to what it wanted you to do next that it had to keep leaving little notes everywhere for you to read. Which just smacks of bad game design.

So another one abandoned. I'm enjoying this new approach.
  • Graxlar_v3 22 Nov 2019 09:57:01 8,551 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    kentmonkey wrote:
    Kameo

As it was included as part of the Rare Replay bundle I thought I'd give it a go. I'd always liked the look of it.

30 mins in and I just couldn't get on with the control system in the slightest. Or the fact that it was confusing as to what it wanted you to do next that it had to keep leaving little notes everywhere for you to read. Which just smacks of bad game design.

In fairnes to Kameo, it was a launch 360 game, so probably 12-13 years old now? It was very good when it was originally released (similar to donkey kong 64)
  • kentmonkey 22 Nov 2019 10:01:39 23,227 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Oh agreed. Most of it is still fine even (it still looks quite nice for starters). I just found the attacks being mapped to the shoulder buttons (?) And the constant need for the notes everywhere to give the player a clue as to what they needed to do next a bit distracting.

DK64 however has aged much better. Still love that.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 22 Nov 2019 10:06:27 6,929 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Horrible confession re. Kameo. At the time, I preferred it to Zelda: Twilight Princess. Having played them both again in the last few years via Rare Replay and TP's remaster... I still do.
  • Graxlar_v3 22 Nov 2019 10:10:28 8,551 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Rogueywon wrote:
    Horrible confession re. Kameo. At the time, I preferred it to Zelda: Twilight Princess. Having played them both again in the last few years via Rare Replay and TP's remaster... I still do.
    I knew there was something wrong with you :D
  • Mola_Ram 22 Nov 2019 11:54:38 21,876 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Jesus Christ. What is it with you and Zelda games?

I just... Kameo
  • mrpon 22 Nov 2019 11:58:29 35,647 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    Jesus Christ. What is it with you and Zelda games?

I just... Kame
    o_O
  • Mola_Ram 22 Nov 2019 12:06:43 21,876 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Unfortunate side effect
  • challenge_hanukkah 22 Nov 2019 12:22:44 11,710 posts
    Seen 51 seconds ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    Unfortunate slime effect
  • PazJohnMitch 22 Nov 2019 13:37:46 14,808 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Graxlar_v3 wrote:
    kentmonkey wrote:
    Kameo

In fairnes to Kameo, it was a launch 360 game, so probably 12-13 years old now? It was very good when it was originally released (similar to donkey kong 64)
    I thought Kameo was merely average at the time. I did complete it but that was more due to loving everything Rareware on the N64 (including DK64).

Kameo marked the point when I decided not to blindly buy Rareís games going forward and realised they were no longer guaranteed quality.
  • Deleted user 22 November 2019 13:42:13
    I think even the CDI zelda was better than Kameo.
  • MadCaddy13 24 Nov 2019 07:15:16 3,065 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Death Stranding

Itís happened. Iíve stopped playing it. After about 30 hours or more Iíve come to realise that when I come out of a long session I feel absolutely empty. Usually after a good stint on a game I come out quite satisfied. This game however, it draws you in and you kind of leave your brain at the door. Itís akin to playing a generic mobile game brainlessly going through the motions.
    Now when I think about playing I get an empty feeling.
    Iím glad I bought it to support something different in gaming but I kinda feel itís gone a way I donít like. The social side for instance, whilst Iím kinda glad that the ladders etc are scattered everywhere it feels a bit like cheating. As well as the vehicles, they drive like absolute shite. Especially the trike. The likes system is abhorrent, I cannot read any of the data or emails because reading white on black leaves my with invisible lines in my vision. Thereís basically a lot not to like in the game.
    I did like the fact you had to watch your footing but I remember being really careful at the start (Slowly navigating the rocky terrain) where I really didnít need to be.
    I think if the social side wasnít there without all the likes and the help (or help from NPCs for road building etc) it would be better.
    I respect the game and what Kojima has done etc but itís not for me
  • barrylyndon 24 Nov 2019 07:29:01 158 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @MadCaddy13
    Same here. The mindless repetition killed it for me. Could have been a good game if they edited out 80 percent of the dialogue and cutscenes when you deliver the parcels. Also the final slog is extremely underwhelming and tedious.
  • rice_sandwich 24 Nov 2019 08:56:19 5,935 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Blazblue Cross Tag Battle

I have been trying out various fighting games recently, mostly retro single player ones like Arcade Archive ones such as The Last Blade and Samurai Shodown. They are a good laugh. I decided to try my luck online with Blazblue after doing ok with Fantasy Strike online. It's not that hard to get a grip on the basics but playing well is a long and involved process.

I guess playing most fighting games online, unless brand new releases, often goes like this. No one plays ranked due to a lack of players so in casual lobbies you get matched against people with 500+ to 5000 wins. The matches are so high damage and combo heavy that they can be over in 15 seconds, maybe a minute if the opponent is not a deadly killing machine. It can take longer to start a match than play it.

I think I won 2 out of about 50 matches. Anyone with more than 100 wins wiped the floor with me, with more than 1000 wins I might as well have not touched the controller for all the difference it made.

Maybe 10 of those matches were at least somewhat competitive with the rest being absolute massacres where I'd immediately get smacked by a 15 move combo that took three quarters of a character's health. Success for me was being able to knock out one of my opponent's two characters.

It's not that I mind losing, it's just that it's hard to improve at a game or feel that it's worthwhile or enjoyable when the skill match up is so incredibly one sided. You learn little from being smacked around over and over again.

While I did get a tiny bit better, it looks like learning most fighting game properly involves losing several hundred matches in order to learn the ropes. If you want to be more humble and lose your ego I highly recommend playing fighting games online!
  • Deleted user 24 November 2019 08:58:37
    @rice_sandwich

Yep I learnt this many years ago on various fighting games. I always thought I was half decent at some but got absolutely battered online.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 24 Nov 2019 09:01:31 6,929 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I'm wondering if I'm done with Remnant: From the Ashes. I actually quite like it, but it keeps getting squeezed out by other games and the windows in which I play it have been getting shorter and shorter.

Problem is, I find it very hard to have more than one Soulslike on the go at a time. They rely so much on muscle memory that switching between them is really hard. So first Remnant got squeezed out by The Surge 2. Then Code Vein took its gaming time. Next is likely to be Star Wars Fallen Order (not quite a Soulslike, but close enough).

Pity, but with my backlog as it is, I'm struggling to see when I'd go back to Remnant.
  • rice_sandwich 24 Nov 2019 09:09:26 5,935 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Addy__

Fantasy Strike is actually ok in comparison. You can be reasonably competitive after an hour's practice. It's designed to be accessible with low hit combos so it's possible to at least win a couple of rounds against most players. Anime fighters are a whole other thing though. Best to stick to casual friend list match ups.
  • Darth_Flibble 29 Nov 2019 17:14:51 3,761 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Need for speed Payback

As I have free month of EA access, I thought I would try it out as had some fun with NFS games in the past but the games are still shit under ghost games (rivals was ok) Its laughable how serious and "edgy" the characters, shit games think they make this street cool edgy characters but actually comes across as cunts in this and one before and probably heat as well. The handling is a bit cack as well and I forgot this is the game you level up your car by loot boxes, iirc the devs did make it a bit more fairer after the outcry of the shitty loot box mechanics might you had to grind hard or pay real money

Shame as mentioned had some fun with some of these games even with the awful elastic band AI
  • kentmonkey 30 Nov 2019 20:52:03 23,227 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Quantum Break

Not for me. Two weeks previous, I'd have probably pushed on to completion because it was alright. And vaguely interested in the game meets TV show idea.

But it felt like it was going to be a sort of 6/10 experience and I'm pleased I no longer feel compelled to complete something I'm merely finding alright.

After Party

And another one. To be honest I thought Oxenfree was great, but the narrative and dialogue in this just felt so forced, and I wasn't finding it humorous at all. And the engine was appalling, slowing down constantly to the point I thought it had crashed a couple of times.

So an hour in and that's got binned too.

Edited by kentmonkey at 22:46:03 30-11-2019
  • QBX 30 Nov 2019 22:33:07 92 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    kentmonkey wrote:
    Quantum Break

Not for me. Two weeks previous, I'd have probably pushed on to completion because it was alright. And vaguely interested in the game meets TV show idea.

But it felt like it was going to be a sort of 6/10 experience and I'm pleased I know longer feel compelled to complete something in merely finding alright.
    I can understand this. The mistake I made was treating it like a cover shooter when you should be dicking about with your powers as much as possible. But if the story doesn't get you then it can be hard to recommend it for the gameplay alone.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.