Following Recently-abandoned games Page 258

• JamboWayOh 30 Nov 2019 23:24:59 16,041 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Quantum Break was ok I suppose. That final boss though can go and get fucked.
  • MrAGSystems 1 Dec 2019 00:26:57 323 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    Remedy are low key one of the most overrated developers out there.
  • JoeBlade 1 Dec 2019 00:34:25 4,556 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    kentmonkey wrote:
    After Party

And another one. To be honest I thought Oxenfree was great, but the narrative and dialogue in this just felt so forced, and I wasn't finding it humorous at all. And the engine was appalling, slowing down constantly to the point I thought it had crashed a couple of times.

So an hour in and that's got binned too.
    Shame. I loved Oxenfree but I think I see where you're coming from based on a couple of let's play videos I've watched.
    The dialogue strikes me as the dev trying to present a more "edgy" version of Oxenfree (i.e. a lot of swearing and "witty" retorts) and not only failing to do so but completely missing out on most of what made OF great to begin with.
  • kentmonkey 1 Dec 2019 08:32:35 23,227 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    JoeBlade wrote:
    kentmonkey wrote:
    After Party

And another one. To be honest I thought Oxenfree was great, but the narrative and dialogue in this just felt so forced, and I wasn't finding it humorous at all. And the engine was appalling, slowing down constantly to the point I thought it had crashed a couple of times.

So an hour in and that's got binned too.
    Shame. I loved Oxenfree but I think I see where you're coming from based on a couple of let's play videos I've watched.
    The dialogue strikes me as the dev trying to present a more "edgy" version of Oxenfree (i.e. a lot of swearing and "witty" retorts) and not only failing to do so but completely missing out on most of what made OF great to begin with.
    That's spot on. The swearing is gratuitous and definitely came across like the devs were trying to be edgy.

It completely misses what made Oxenfree so good, which had much more natural dialogue.
  • monsieur-Cosmo 3 Dec 2019 11:11:03 513 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    /deleted

Edited by monsieur-Cosmo at 12:43:10 04-12-2019
  • QBX 5 Dec 2019 00:48:03 92 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Shadow Warrior 2

Another victim of Game Pass.

I got rid after an hour as it was just a generic looter shooter with possibly one of the worst inventories I've ever seen. Weapon upgrades were spread across 2 separate menus that were a confusing mess and it really wasn't worth the effort for what was uninspired loot.
  • bighairybear65 5 Dec 2019 07:52:24 297 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I have my PS4 full of games at the moment, currently wading through the backlog...

Uncharted 2 and 3
    Assassins Origins
    Dirt 2
    Last Guardian

In my library not yet installed are more..
    Uncharted 4
    Horizon
    Shadow of the Colossus
    Hellblade
    God of War
    Detroit..

These are the result of a lot of whittling down, but shit knows how Iím going to finish all this, I probably need to abandon more..
    This gen has been too good, but I feel like Iím on a timer!
  • OllyJ 5 Dec 2019 08:03:26 4,615 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @bighairybear65 Get Last Guardian done, easy one off the list don't play anything else until it's done as it's one you want to immerse yourself in.

I'd say Dirt you just keep ongoing right, like it's not even on a list it's just one to keep playing.

Ass Origins is an easy 40 hours of game, so I'd probably finish Uncharted 2, then immerse yourself in ASS over xmas then bookend it with uncharted 3.

If there's one thing I have got better at this year, is only playing one game at a time and it's been so much better and I've actually finished more games this year than I have before!
  • bighairybear65 5 Dec 2019 12:31:45 297 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @OllyJ Tis a good plan, Iíve been trying one at a time lately since I failed the 10 game challenge has been good, also been brutal with my choices, hiding lots from my library.
    82% through UC2 so will carry on then try Guardian as you said, followed by AC Origins..
    Probably one game on hard drive at a time would help! ;)
  • Jackonapes 5 Dec 2019 13:27:00 8 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    Sekiro. Just couldn't be bothered. I know I could get better, I know I could push through. I Beat bloodborne and dark souls but there's no better way to say it, I couldn't be bothered.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 5 Dec 2019 13:30:37 6,929 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Jackonapes The number of times I was on the verge of saying that with Sekiro. I normally love the genre, but Sekiro, with its fussy twitch-reaction tests felt like a chore.

My bloody-mindedness meant I persevered and pushed through, but looking back, I don't think it was worth it.
  • MiniSchnauz 5 Dec 2019 13:55:06 359 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Rogueywon wrote:
    @Jackonapes The number of times I was on the verge of saying that with Sekiro. I normally love the genre, but Sekiro, with its fussy twitch-reaction tests felt like a chore.

My bloody-mindedness meant I persevered and pushed through, but looking back, I don't think it was worth it.
    Roguey is my spirit animal. I uninstalled Sekiro a stupid amount of times in the first week because I really just found it infuriating, then I gritted my teeth and played all the way through and even Ng+'d for Shura ending.

Was it worth it? No. Is it a game I will even want to play again? No.

Bloodborne, Dark Souls etc... love them, Sekiro is a steaming pile of masochistic shite with no joy or pleasure to it.

And The Surge 2 is the best Soulsborne this year and its combat shits all over Sekiro.

Even Remnant was better than Sekiro.
  • Graxlar_v3 5 Dec 2019 14:03:18 8,551 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Bah Sekiro was amazing you heathens.

I honestly didnít think I would be good enough to finish the game.

Edited by Graxlar_v3 at 14:04:10 05-12-2019
  • wuntyate 5 Dec 2019 14:19:30 13,358 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    MiniSchnauz wrote:
    Roguey is my spirit animal. I uninstalled Sekiro a stupid amount of times in the first week because I really just found it infuriating, then I gritted my teeth and played all the way through and even Ng+'d for Shura ending.

Bloodborne, Dark Souls etc... love them, Sekiro is a steaming pile of masochistic shite with no joy or pleasure to it.

And The Surge 2 is the best Soulsborne this year and its combat shits all over Sekiro.

All of this. As much as it pains me. Sekiro was something that I brute-forced my way through and have no wish to ever play again.

I remember my second or third night playing it and I thought "fuck this", was quite happy to give it up. I hate admitting defeat so I pushed on. It had awesome moments but looking back I have no wish to revisit it.

Edited by wuntyphyve at 14:28:02 05-12-2019
  • Bazooklad 5 Dec 2019 14:46:17 126 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    QBX wrote:
    Shadow Warrior 2

I got rid after an hour as it was just a generic looter shooter with possibly one of the worst inventories I've ever seen. Weapon upgrades were spread across 2 separate menus that were a confusing mess and it really wasn't worth the effort for what was uninspired loot.
    Couldn't agree more - it's buggy as hell too. Not been optimised very well, several games the frame rate has tanked and stayed tanked. The levels are randomly generated so they become repetitive and directionless at times.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 5 Dec 2019 15:01:55 6,929 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    QBX wrote:
    Shadow Warrior 2

I bought this on launch, sold on it by reviews that basically said "If you liked Borderlands 2, you'll like this". Big mistake. Your criticisms are valid and, if anything, don't go far enough.
  • monsieur-Cosmo 5 Dec 2019 15:17:02 513 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Agree with Shadow Warrior 2 comments. Never could get into it, and neither the first one. Plus I really hated the "humor".
  • Jackonapes 5 Dec 2019 15:18:38 8 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    @Rogueywon glad you said that mate. I often think back on it and wonder if I gave it a good enough chance. Kept meaning to try again. I played to the fight with the dude on the rooftop that goes all lightning face.
    I love the worlds fromsoft create and the atmosphere and lore building but fuck me. Having a cutscene everytime you approach the boss was the straw for me.
  • Darth_Flibble 5 Dec 2019 18:50:08 3,761 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Darksiders 3

Glad I waited to try it on gamepass, its terrible. The devs wanted to make "souls like" game but don't have the skill to actually do it. Even after patching it to include combat like the other games, its still a mess. Playing it on classic and on story mode (easy) and the amount of health you lose when hit is a joke. The dodge move is shit still, enemies swarm you and archers hit you from far away. Also its so boring and dull as the (shit) souls like combat was there only selling point. The other 2 games had interesting stuff and puzzles with portal guns, while they copied from other games, its better than the shit in this game

3/10
  • Rens11 5 Dec 2019 21:41:35 1,818 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Rogueywon wrote:
    QBX wrote:
    Shadow Warrior 2

I bought this on launch, sold on it by reviews that basically said "If you liked Borderlands 2, you'll like this". Big mistake. Your criticisms are valid and, if anything, don't go far enough.
    Also abandoned Shadow warrior 2 from game pass. Really poor image quality and stodgy frame rate was an absolute chore to play. Haven't tried Rage 2 yet but I've got a feeling it's going to play the same
  • Nanocrystal 5 Dec 2019 23:15:56 1,928 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    wuntyphyve wrote:
    MiniSchnauz wrote:

All of this. As much as it pains me. Sekiro was something that I brute-forced my way through and have no wish to ever play again.
    #MeToo. Roll on Elden Ring.
  • Mola_Ram 7 Dec 2019 11:41:59 21,876 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I thought I'd give Hollow Knight another crack, since I thought that maybe I didn't give it enough of a shot the first time around. And I'm close to abandoning it again.

I admire the game a lot, and think it is absolutely mental that something this pretty was made by such a small team. But I can admire the artistry in something without particularly liking it, and that's pretty much where I'm at with the game. It's just a bit... dour, and that dourness gets to be samey after a while. Especially when the levels are as large as they are - they really don't need to be.

So yeah, not a terrible game at all. But it's not for me.

Edited by Mola_Ram at 13:05:39 07-12-2019
  • IRWATWO 7 Dec 2019 11:58:51 270 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 3 weeks ago
    Destiny 2 free version

I gave it a good try, and big sprawling questy loot em ups are entirely my thing, but it all just felt a bit unfocussed, I think, like there were just too many mechanics to try to take on board and enjoy all at once.

Also the gfx. Beautiful, frequently, but too busy. And enemies seemingly respawning so quickly you can spend 20 minutes just getting down a corridor.

I'd go back and try it again if I didn't have a million hours of gaming backed up on other games, but Warframe felt better for me, at least having a ship as a base gave somewhere to retreat to, get everything sorted, essential for my OCDy approach to these things.
  • Deleted user 7 December 2019 12:01:39
    Sekiro needed a really good story to tie it together. It was a bit bland in that respect. Which is odd as the other games appear less narrative driven but have amazing world lore.

I still really liked it. The combat and exploration is fun for the first couple of playthroughs. Pile of shit is a bit ott. I think it's a very good game

But yeah, not really arsed about playing it again either.

Edited by Joyless_Man at 12:02:11 07-12-2019
  • MiniSchnauz 8 Dec 2019 11:19:03 359 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    If I'm being fair in my criticism of Sekiro then probably the biggest thing that held it back was the degree of repetition.

Oh good. I have fight the same miniboss. Again. And again. And again.etc.
    Oh good. I have to fight the drunkard. And again. And again.
    Oh good. i have to fight the ape. Again.
    Oh good, I have to fight corrupted monk. Again.
    Oh good. I have to fight Owl. Again.
    Oh good. I have to fight Genichiro. Again. And again.

Very few of the bosses felt special - Demon of Hatred, Lady Butterfly (both optional), and Bojack Horseman being the exceptions.

Remember when DS2 got lambasted because it contained too many human bosses? Exactly the same here but no, Sekiro gets a pass because Miyazaki can do no wrong,

Then there were the multiphase fights (The first with Genichiro was great, after that it got tedious) with no checkpointing and having to skip cutscenes over and over gain. Just give me a bloody fog wall.

Oh and the gimmick fights were fucking awful. Folding Monkey screen was just a chore but the Divine Dragon was boring and prone to instakill bullshit because the game wasn't very clear on what it expected of you. It was supposed to be epic, facing down a god, something truly worthy of an epic Souls fight and you got grapple. Press x. Run away. Repeat.

The fact that actual story (Hirata, true ending) wasn't discovered by exploration and intelligence but talking (or eavesdropping ffs!) and that the story boiled down to 'small child has superpower, other people want superpower'. There was nothing special to discover or or learn. There was no mystery.

It tried something different but it failed. Whereas Souls was always substance (narrative) over style (mechanics) - something they refined to create Bloodborne, Sekiro is the style (mechanics) over substance/narrative and it just doesn't work. It's a shallow one-trick pony, a pretty one, true, but still a pony all the same.
  • Decap 9 Dec 2019 07:47:11 147 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I abandoned Xenoblade chronicles 2 a while back. Put about 50h on to it but eventually I came to a point where I knew I would have to grind again, and I just said f that. It was fun while it lasted but the story didnít really ever grab me enough to make me want to see it through. And the combat system really is extremely tedious imo, battles just take way too long and often your not involved in any way other than the occasional button press. Itís an Ēok gameĒ, I got my moneys worth and itís time to move on.
  • rice_sandwich 9 Dec 2019 08:09:31 5,935 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Hollow Knight abandoned after about 15 hours. I liked the exploration aspects but did not enjoy the boss battles very much, nor the tedious trek back to fight them again and again. Take out the boss battles and there's a good game there.
  • Malek86 9 Dec 2019 08:22:53 9,188 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @rice_sandwich there's games inspired by Dark Souls, and then there's games Inspired By Dark Soulsô.

I do think that half the games Inspired By Dark Soulsô could do with taking a bit less inspiration from it. Just because something is very successful doesn't mean it's perfect in its every facet. Although, when DS2 tried to do away with the enemy mobs during the trip back, people complained. So I dunno.

As usual, I shrug my shoulders of the whole Dark Souls fandom anyway.

Edited by Malek86 at 08:23:36 09-12-2019
  • TechnoHippy 9 Dec 2019 08:31:24 15,634 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    rice_sandwich wrote:
    Hollow Knight abandoned after about 15 hours. I liked the exploration aspects but did not enjoy the boss battles very much, nor the tedious trek back to fight them again and again. Take out the boss battles and there's a good game there.
    I had the same problem. I loved wandering around, but most of even the early bosses annihilated me and so losing all my progress. At least with Dead Cells you could cash in some of your progress along the way so you could grind out some of the powers.
  • rice_sandwich 9 Dec 2019 08:33:54 5,935 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Malek86

It's not a bad game at all, but it has a lot of features in its design that I don't personally enjoy or even hate. I understand that many people love it.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.