Recently-abandoned games Page 265

• PazJohnMitch 6 Feb 2020 18:56:47 16,007 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    I don't remember Ori being that hard (except for the tree escape), but generally agree about the overuse of thorns and other tropey platformey things.
    That bit was a pain.
  • PazJohnMitch 6 Feb 2020 19:05:15 16,007 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Rogueywon

Ori is not that hard. It is not a walk in the park but Hollow Knight and the Messenger are both substantially harder.

Ori plays quite uniquely in how you carry out traversal and attacking. It is this oddness and lack of experience granted by similar games that makes it difficult. And not the challenge it actually presents in a pure mechanical sense.
  • monsieur-Cosmo 8 Feb 2020 09:59:51 599 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Abandoned Horace at the first timed event :) I'm not much of a hardcore gamer, never was. As far as I can tell the game is masterfully made and I enjoyed what I played of it.
    That table tennis minigame, wow, that brought back some old memories ...
  • azurelas_2 8 Feb 2020 10:09:38 2,044 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Tomb Raider (reboot), Rise of the Tomb Raider and Shadow of the Tomb Raider.

Technically great games but I just couldn't finish them. I just got bored 3 hours in.
  • quadfather 8 Feb 2020 10:16:12 36,741 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Rogueywon wrote:
    Ok, so I'm adding Ori to my "not on your fucking life, I got through Horace somehow and that was enough" list.

Edit: Though by the sound of things, Ori isn't actually as bad as Horace.
    It will depend. I have a low tolerance to sections in games where there's no breathing room and it goes on for an extended amount of time. I don't mind really hard bits where I can prepare in advance and then give it a go, but later on in ori (6 or 7 hours in, in the misty woods for people that have played it) I just realised that the whole game was preparing you for these said tricky sections as they are out in earnest later on. Couldn't get on with that. You might though. The challenge, and all that. Whatever the fuck that is.
  • quadfather 8 Feb 2020 10:18:24 36,741 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    PazJohnMitch wrote:
    @Rogueywon

Ori is not that hard. It is not a walk in the park but Hollow Knight and the Messenger are both substantially harder.

Ori plays quite uniquely in how you carry out traversal and attacking. It is this oddness and lack of experience granted by similar games that makes it difficult. And not the challenge it actually presents in a pure mechanical sense.
    Agree with that. Though with the caveat that hollow knights difficulty was more around enemy fights rather than the environment. Ori might as well have no enemies in it.
  • quadfather 8 Feb 2020 10:19:23 36,741 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Rogueywon

Anyway it's only cheap now so worth a shot. Be interesting to see what you think.
  • monsieur-Cosmo 8 Feb 2020 10:50:17 599 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @azurelas_2 That's unfortunate. I've replayed the first two and am currenlty replaying Shadow. Took ma a while to warm up to the new Lara though.
  • Spectral 8 Feb 2020 17:45:04 6,385 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Really enjoying the story and lore but kind of getting tempted to ditch Control, even though I suspect I am nearly at the end. Some of the checkpointing in this is beyond bad. Getting tired of banging my head against this one shitty sequence over and over, to the point where its putting me off even loading it to try now.

Edited by Spectral at 17:45:35 08-02-2020
  • DUFFMAN5 8 Feb 2020 17:46:08 26,050 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Spectral
    Can you drop the skill level or will that have little effect ?
  • Spectral 8 Feb 2020 17:50:31 6,385 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @DUFFMAN5 It doesn't have difficulty options. There's basically multiple waves of progressively harder fights and dieing at any point means starting right back at wave one.
  • barchetta 8 Feb 2020 18:23:03 2,530 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Have you ever played a game where you know you really could and should stop as it feels like there is nothing much more to see, no new activities etc. But there is a compulsion to carry on?

I understand that's the raison d'etre for many grindy games (new dolly clothes!!) but I'm weirdly engrossed in Generation Zero at the moment.

Enemies are rinse and repeat - though there is always a danger that death is seconds away in a fire fight.

I think it's the scenery and solitude I'm enjoying. Can be a really beautiful game (same engine as The Hunter). Always want to see the next cove or view from a hilltop.

Edited by barchetta at 18:23:23 08-02-2020
  • Rodney 8 Feb 2020 20:15:03 4,470 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @barchetta

Most far cry games
  • Rum_Monkey 10 Feb 2020 10:16:16 976 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    Shenmue 2

I really struggled through 1 and despite never playing shenmue 2 at launch I couldn't get the enthusiasm to carry on playing.

Loved the first as a kid and I get they were groundbreaking at the time, but they're pretty crap now.
  • monsieur-Cosmo 10 Feb 2020 10:43:27 599 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    ^ I had the same feelings about Shenmue. As much as I loved it on Dreamcast all those years ago, I can't stand playing it for more than 20 mins on PC. Everything is so archaic. And I stopped caring about the "story" ages ago, though I only completed the first part.

Edited by monsieur-Cosmo at 13:35:12 10-02-2020
  • Armoured_Bear 10 Feb 2020 10:53:53 28,871 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    What about Shenmue 3, modernised and better or still archaic with modern visuals?
  • Rum_Monkey 10 Feb 2020 11:09:17 976 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    Never got around to it as I ditched 2. But from what I've heard, the latter.
  • SolidSCB 10 Feb 2020 12:46:14 12,781 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    A slightly modernised version of 1&2 really.

The main problem it has is that after nearly 20 years of waiting, the entire game acts as a bridge between Shenmue 2 and 4. So if you didn't care for the story before, you really won't after playing 20-30 hours with almost no progression in that department.
  • Bichii 11 Feb 2020 09:07:40 3,178 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Subnautica almost abandoned. Loving it but I've got to a point after twenty hours where I'm not sure I can be bothered to carry on grinding to get all the items I need to upgrade everything to get the last areas sub 1000m. It's going from very exciting exploration game to Minecraft/farm simulator.
  • JoeBlade 11 Feb 2020 11:43:09 5,107 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Bichii wrote:
    Subnautica almost abandoned. Loving it but I've got to a point after twenty hours where I'm not sure I can be bothered to carry on grinding to get all the items I need to upgrade everything to get the last areas sub 1000m. It's going from very exciting exploration game to Minecraft/farm simulator.
    I've abandoned Subnautica repeatedly for this very reason. It becomes very grindy a couple of hours in IMO, too much gathering & building compared to story & exploration.
  • richarddavies 11 Feb 2020 11:46:14 7,768 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    We happy few

Gave it a go as it's on gamepass. It's not that it's a bad game, probably would've enjoyed if I was more in the mood but it's just too similar to other games of its ilk. Just felt like I'd seen it all before
  • Rhaegyr 11 Feb 2020 11:58:58 5,176 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Pokemon Shield

I've not played/completed a Pokemon since Blue and I can't believe how much hasn't changed in over 20 years. Completed the second gym and felt no urge to carry on - the world feels quite barren, the Pokemon designs aren't interesting and the battle system is beyond archaic.
  • Subquest 11 Feb 2020 13:28:16 394 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I don't remember finding the Subnautica grind too bad. I allowed myself a resource map which showed you which zone had what mineral. The final chapter of the game is worth plugging away to witness.
  • Bichii 11 Feb 2020 15:00:26 3,178 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Think I'll just cheat. Found out you can turn on cheats pc style. Got to the lava castle and can't be bothered anymore as I'm constantly running out of resources! Just getting there was more like a job then playing a game with all the power management and food management that wasrequired just to make it that far.

Sure I could build a base near I guess but then I'd have to farm for literally hours to get everything I'd need. Don't even get me started on locker/space management on top of everything else.

Love the setting, story, the exploring and some gathering of resources but this is way over kill.
  • DrStrangelove 12 Feb 2020 08:41:56 15,216 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Portal 2, again. Like I remembered from my last re-play, it takes a dive after Wheatley gains power, as it's suddenly all about "find the white wall in this giant hall", and then when the liquid stuff starts it just stops being any fun.
  • JoeBlade 13 Feb 2020 04:42:05 5,107 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    DrStrangelove wrote:
    Portal 2, again. Like I remembered from my last re-play, it takes a dive after Wheatley gains power, as it's suddenly all about "find the white wall in this giant hall", and then when the liquid stuff starts it just stops being any fun.
    I'm surprised, I thought Portal 2 was about as good a balance between storytelling, gameplay, puzzles, well anything really as a game gets. That said I preferred the first one. Which I consider one of the best games of all times, for the record.
  • kentmonkey 13 Feb 2020 19:03:45 23,623 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Mudrunners

Really liked the look of it.

Really bounced off it hard.

Felt like an early access title to me.

/sad face
  • PazJohnMitch 13 Feb 2020 22:14:28 16,007 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    JoeBlade wrote:
    DrStrangelove wrote:
    I'm surprised, I thought Portal 2 was about as good a balance between storytelling, gameplay, puzzles, well anything really as a game gets. That said I preferred the first one. Which I consider one of the best games of all times, for the record.
    I also thought Portal 2 was inferior to the original and took a dip at the spoilered bit. I thought I was the only one.
  • Steve-Perry 13 Feb 2020 22:25:03 1,512 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    Man it's really worth persevering, it's brilliant

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.