Recently-abandoned games Page 270

• azurelas_2 9 Mar 2020 15:21:31 2,022 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Final Fantasy VII, VIII and IX.

Can not get along with it. Older games don't hold your hand at all and you have to figure things out yourself, and unless I become unemployed I won't be able to put 100+ hours into each game.
  • Cadence 9 Mar 2020 18:02:06 2,463 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    azurelas_2 wrote:

Can not get along with it. Older games don't hold your hand at all and you have to figure things out yourself, and unless I become unemployed I won't be able to put 100+ hours into each game.
    There is something to be said for games not holding your hand but I take your point. What did you think of the FFVII remake demo?
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 9 Mar 2020 18:38:38 8,401 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @azurelas_2 They don't actually need to be 100 hour games. A normal story playthrough of each of those (including a bit of "where do I go next" time) would be around 40 hours per game. If you want to do optional super-bosses, you can maybe double that, but they're pretty compact games by comparison with others in the genre.
  • Dombat 9 Mar 2020 19:45:49 1,742 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah, the PS1 FF games only approach 100 hours if you do absolutely everything (possibly closer to 80-90 hours in my experience). Just mainlining the story will take you half that at most.

I can understand the games not really gelling with you if you didn't play them back in the day though. They're classics to me and many others but in some ways haven't aged well or can seem archaic.
  • azurelas_2 9 Mar 2020 19:57:49 2,022 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Cadence wrote:
    azurelas_2 wrote:

There is something to be said for games not holding your hand but I take your point. What did you think of the FFVII remake demo?
    Don't have a PS4 (will get a PS5 when that comes out) but from what I've seen it looks unmissable.
  • Gunzberg 10 Mar 2020 19:08:12 2,796 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    its-H1ggyLTD wrote:
    Golf Story

Can't be bothered with the moles.
    Oh, I still want to try that, hear it's quite fun
  • kentmonkey 10 Mar 2020 22:25:01 23,519 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    its-H1ggyLTD wrote:
    Creature in the Well

Had no idea what was going on in the desert.
    Same

Wanted to enjoy it but bloody hell they made it impenetrable to both understand what the fook was going on and, seemingly, to fun.
  • DrStrangelove 11 Mar 2020 09:01:01 15,102 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Division 2. It's not bad, but... meh. There's just nothing I find interesting in any way. Also I don't like cover shooters. Probably not bad if you're into this kind of game, but it's definitely not for me.

I think I should just give up on Ubisoft for good.

Edited by DrStrangelove at 09:01:50 11-03-2020
  • ChiefGB 11 Mar 2020 09:36:12 12,402 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah division 2 is a pretty bland game to play for me too. Its just is far too repetitive, and the loot is dull. That said they have been tinkering once again recently with the loot so maybe itís better, was certainly more generous with gold gear last time I played but the gameplay loop is not really for me either with little incentive to keep playing.

Took me a year to get to lvl cap, and I went gold at release which is another sore point. Canít see me buying the new expansion unless itís really cheap, Iím sure it would be elevated with some coop partners but same could be said for destiny and I have no problem soloing that game.
  • MrAGSystems 12 Mar 2020 00:39:35 847 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    I grabbed The Division 2 recently on PS4 for Ä10 and deleted it after a few hours.

The loot was slow to come and just dreadful (oh great, a slightly different shade of brown for my fanny pack) and the gunplay felt like the first Uncharted game... which is to say it was clunky as hell. That wouldn't be too bad if it didn't make up 90% of the gameplay and was actually married to a setting and adventure as good as Uncharted, but it's obviously not.
  • QBX 18 Mar 2020 11:04:36 161 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Fairune (3DS)

I've come to a puzzle where (having looked it up) I need to go back and collect an item I'd completely forgotten about which is the final straw. It's the sort of game which is so fucking obtuse and gives absolutely fuck all help that if you don't see it's bullshit then you will hit a brick wall with no clue what to do.

I don't have the patience for shit like that.
  • Deleted user 18 March 2020 14:58:51
    Code Vein

Saw it on sale and i liked the design of the enemies and was curious as it was compared to a soulsborne type game but aside from stamina bar based combat and other influences it falls apart in the combat. Just felt porridgey compared to other games like the Surge, Nioh, and Bloodborne.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 18 Mar 2020 15:00:36 8,401 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Seabar While it's nowhere near best in genre, it does get better if you stick with it. The combat opens out later one, once you get a bigger toolkit. It has a very good magic system, which is nice as a lot of Soulslikes these days tend to neglect that in favour of purer melee combat.
  • Rhaegyr 18 Mar 2020 15:25:36 5,044 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    MrAGSystems wrote:
    I grabbed The Division 2 recently on PS4 for Ä10 and deleted it after a few hours.

The loot was slow to come and just dreadful (oh great, a slightly different shade of brown for my fanny pack) and the gunplay felt like the first Uncharted game... which is to say it was clunky as hell. That wouldn't be too bad if it didn't make up 90% of the gameplay and was actually married to a setting and adventure as good as Uncharted, but it's obviously not.
    As boring as Division 2 turned out to be the gunplay is a fair cut above any Uncharted game imo (which for me have some of the absolute worst gunplay imaginable).
  • Deleted user 18 March 2020 16:38:08
    @Rogueywon Yeah, the caster seemed a little more interesting. I might go back to it at some point but iím going to focus on finishing Nioh 2.

Cheers for letting me know about the later game.
  • FIFAfan 20 Mar 2020 08:37:12 268 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order (Xbox One)

With some sadness I must say (maybe 5 hours or so in?). On the surface, it has a lot going for it - feels like Star Wars (lightsaber duels), intricate & intriguing Metroidvania levels.

But still I dunno, just feels kinda bland or something. Perhaps because I'm not the biggest Star Wars fan, so am not particularly interested in the story.

But either way, it hasn't gripped me. Time to play something else.
  • dominalien 20 Mar 2020 08:39:12 9,538 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I hear FIFA is good.
  • MrAGSystems 20 Mar 2020 16:50:20 847 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    Doom Eternal - what the actual fuck.

Shit controls (yeah let's make the melee button the same one that grabs onto walls... except you will punch them and fall to your death).

The "story".

Stop-start gameplay that has a tutorial video for every little thing you stumble across. Then there's little cutscenes.

The complete lack of ammo.

The multiplayer.

The platforming. Holy FUCK the platforming.

It looks astonishing but it also plasters shit around the level in big giant floating icons in neon colours. Thanks for reminding me I'm playing a videogame.

I'm convinced that my PS4 Pro is about to take off or catch fire while trying to run it.

The sequel to one of my favourite games this gen and it's like they took most of what made it great and threw it in the bin.
  • Bichii 20 Mar 2020 16:53:10 2,877 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    As usual people, ignore 90% of what he said :)
  • MrAGSystems 20 Mar 2020 16:57:36 847 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    The story is shit, the platforming (holy FUCK the platforming) is shit, the stop-start gameplay is shit, the weak-arse audio is shit (forgot to mention that) and my console is so hot you could fry an egg on it.

So there 😁
  • PazJohnMitch 20 Mar 2020 17:02:11 15,689 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    MrAGSystems is shit

Turns out Bichii was right.

Edited by PazJohnMitch at 17:03:34 20-03-2020
  • MrAGSystems 20 Mar 2020 17:10:47 847 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    Charming.
  • RevolvingKenneth 20 Mar 2020 17:23:52 68 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    MrAGSystems wrote:
    WAAAAAH! DIS GAME IS TOO HARD! WAAAAAH! ITS SHIT!
    Christ can you imagine being stuck in quarantine with this baby at the moment?! Throwing his toys out the pram when he can't beat his latest game between rants about the gypsies. You'd be wishing for the Coronavirus to strike you down.
  • MrAGSystems 20 Mar 2020 20:29:26 847 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    @RevolvingKenneth I saw your name on the thread and could've predicted most of what you wrote. You'll be pleased to know that your fanclub pack will be out in the post once normal services are back up and running. I even have a special ribbon on yours.

You're kinda cute, really.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.