Recently-abandoned games Page 271

• MrAGSystems 20 Mar 2020 20:30:05 582 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    its-H1ggyLTD wrote:
    People buy Doom looking for story?
    Definitely not, the problem is Doom trying to tell a story.
  • Mola_Ram 22 Mar 2020 03:29:26 22,783 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Roundguard

It's a dungeon crawler, with Peggle. I'd never played Peggle before, and thought "eh, I need something light, how bad could it be?"

Fucking hell it's pretty bad. The graphics are bad (though I guess they'd be fine if you like mobile games like Angry Birds), the humour is bad (LOL THE GHOSTS ARE POSTING ON INSTA, OMG MY SIDES), and Peggle is bad. And if you say "but Mola, I like Peggle, it's whimsical and fun"... no you don't. Stop lying to yourself.

Abandoned with a vengeance. I want a refund, though probably won't get one.

Edited by Mola_Ram at 03:44:59 22-03-2020
  • Mola_Ram 22 Mar 2020 03:34:07 22,783 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Oh, and I've heard it described in places as an RPG (which is one of the reasons I got it). That is a flat-out lie, it'd be like replacing all the sprites with balls and calling it a sports game.
  • Malek86 22 Mar 2020 07:00:31 9,713 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Generally speaking, when you hear a sales pitch like "this is a [genre] mixed with a RPG!", it will usually just suck.

Creature in the Well could have been so good. Could have been...
  • AddyB_ 22 Mar 2020 07:55:30 283 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    @Mola_Ram

Interesting. I think roundguard is good fun. It's no peggle though. I love that game.
  • monkman76 22 Mar 2020 08:04:27 15,877 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Stop lying to yourself Addy.
  • Mola_Ram 22 Mar 2020 08:06:14 22,783 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Exactly, you know that it's bad, you just refuse to see the truth.

But speaking seriously, it's fine if people like Peggle or whatever
  • rice_sandwich 22 Mar 2020 08:09:21 6,298 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I have clearly wrongly enjoyed Roundguard. I will try some generic brown FPS games instead.
  • Mola_Ram 22 Mar 2020 08:10:25 22,783 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It's good that you understand that you were wrong. That is the first step towards recovery.
  • its-H1ggyLTD 22 Mar 2020 11:20:05 1,354 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    Seeing how it's leaving GamePass...Vampyr.

Bit clunky, and never really sunk it's teeth into me.
  • JamboWayOh 22 Mar 2020 11:34:29 17,782 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    God, it was terrible. So janky, especially galling as it was unreal 4,you could never tell tbh.
  • its-H1ggyLTD 22 Mar 2020 11:37:24 1,354 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    I thought the story had the potential to go places, but i wasn't going to preserve to see it.
  • JamboWayOh 22 Mar 2020 11:40:44 17,782 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I tried but it just felt so cheaply made production wise.
  • Darth_Flibble 22 Mar 2020 12:07:48 4,016 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    The combat in Vampyr was fucking bad (no idea why the devs thought it was shippable) but had on disc and you could give yourself infinite XP which made the combat a breeze. I liked the story and setting but fuck it was janky
  • Darth_Flibble 22 Mar 2020 12:29:36 4,016 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    AC odyssey: Fate of Atlantis, Episode 1

Glad I got the DLC for ep 1 for free a while back and been playing it since thursday as the main game is free over the weekend on Live and PSN

While the new area looks really nice, the gameplay is really generic shit and the game forces you to clear out camps of soldiers and burn supplies again, destroy soldiers. This DLC is horribly bloated like the main game (yeah that was some good parts but it has hours and hours padding, so people think they are getting value for money) The DLC feels like a checklist of boring tasks to do

I hope ubisoft reboot the series to make it more of a game about assissans again and not some action-fighter with RPG lite to sell xp boosters and other MTX. As the devs could of made a nice action=rpg (they started to in odyssey) Maybe they should take elements of Hitman with RPG elements
  • JamboWayOh 22 Mar 2020 12:53:13 17,782 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Hopefully they make the player animation a bit more weighty, so it doesn't look like your skating on ice.
  • DrStrangelove 22 Mar 2020 17:20:15 14,977 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Watch Dogs (still free on EGS)

Spending 10 minutes to even get the game running because of uPlay crap certainly didn't get me into a favourable mood. Then go through like 5 minutes of staggeringly uninteresting introductory cutscenes. Then start the tutorial, realise it's got the same crappy cover mechanics as The Division. Then realise that all this hacking stuff is dreary AF. Then just don't give a fuck anymore and get caught. Then uninstall.

It's rare that a game gives me such a horrible first impression that I don't even finish the tutorial section. But everything about it to that point was absolute garbage. Nothing suggests this game could ever be fun or interesting in any way whatsoever.

Oh, and you have to rebind keys because the standard TAB for weapon wheel doesn't do anything.

Ubisoft truly is the worst publisher. I'm done with them now, for good. I won't even install free Ubi games anymore, what a waste of time.

Edited by DrStrangelove at 17:42:00 22-03-2020
  • Malek86 22 Mar 2020 18:28:35 9,713 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I didn't like Watch Dogs (doesn't help that I played it on the Wii U, where the framerate would often drop into single digits), dropped it after a few hours. But it did have a few neat things. Hacking the bank accounts of random NPCs to transfer funds into your own was a pretty cool idea, although in practice it didn't amount to much. It was also nice how every NPC had a compromising bio.

But other than that, yeah, it was more or less GTA with crappy shooting and an abysmal presentation. I'm amazed that they made a sequel.
  • its-H1ggyLTD 22 Mar 2020 18:30:13 1,354 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    I think you meant 'the best cover mechanics of all time'.
  • DrStrangelove 22 Mar 2020 21:09:15 14,977 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    its-H1ggyLTD wrote:
    I think you meant 'the best cover mechanics of all time'.
    What

Mass Effect Andromeda has better cover mechanics than that
  • its-H1ggyLTD 22 Mar 2020 21:13:30 1,354 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    I don't remember those.
  • AddyB_ 22 Mar 2020 21:21:21 283 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    I quite liked the hacking and some of the mini games on WD.
  • its-H1ggyLTD 23 Mar 2020 23:16:22 1,354 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    Wasteland Remastered

Too old.

And i feel like giving up on Hellblade. Beat the big dog, watched two cut scenes, and it hasn't autosaved???!!1 Oh hell no. It's a good job i fancy my chances of beating poochy again in short order.
  • MrAGSystems 24 Mar 2020 10:15:49 582 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    Malek86 wrote:
    I didn't like Watch Dogs (doesn't help that I played it on the Wii U, where the framerate would often drop into single digits), dropped it after a few hours. But it did have a few neat things. Hacking the bank accounts of random NPCs to transfer funds into your own was a pretty cool idea, although in practice it didn't amount to much. It was also nice how every NPC had a compromising bio.

But other than that, yeah, it was more or less GTA with crappy shooting and an abysmal presentation. I'm amazed that they made a sequel.
    It has the most po-faced, dour, intensely dislikeable protagonist in all of gaming.

The worst thing about it, is it was actually a better game than 2. It had the AR missions and most of the missions in the main world actually had you moving about, not playing with some drone on a grey scale screen.
  • Bichii 24 Mar 2020 10:29:04 2,674 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @MrAGSystems I challenge you to 4 weeks of positive posts only. Do you accept?
  • azurelas_2 24 Mar 2020 10:43:42 2,017 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    DrStrangelove wrote:

Spending 10 minutes to even get the game running because of uPlay crap certainly didn't get me into a favourable mood. Then go through like 5 minutes of staggeringly uninteresting introductory cutscenes. Then start the tutorial, realise it's got the same crappy cover mechanics as The Division. Then realise that all this hacking stuff is dreary AF. Then just don't give a fuck anymore and get caught. Then uninstall.

It's rare that a game gives me such a horrible first impression that I don't even finish the tutorial section. But everything about it to that point was absolute garbage. Nothing suggests this game could ever be fun or interesting in any way whatsoever.

Oh, and you have to rebind keys because the standard TAB for weapon wheel doesn't do anything.

Ubisoft truly is the worst publisher. I'm done with them now, for good. I won't even install free Ubi games anymore, what a waste of time.
    This. Very much this.

Doesn't help that I paid actual money for it because I was caught up in the hype.
  • MrAGSystems 24 Mar 2020 11:39:33 582 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    @Bichii The abandoned games thread is sacred ground for grumps!
  • Tomo 24 Mar 2020 11:43:28 17,421 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    azurelas_2 wrote:
    DrStrangelove wrote:

This. Very much this.

Doesn't help that I paid actual money for it because I was caught up in the hype.
    This is basically 80% of AAA contemporary gaming in a nutshell.
  • PazJohnMitch 24 Mar 2020 11:44:42 15,384 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Kind of agree with MrAGS on this. Keep this thread grumpy.

I disagree with most of his and other people’s posts here but I consciously come here to disagree with them.
  • Mola_Ram 24 Mar 2020 11:47:36 22,783 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I don't know about you, but I'm usually pretty positive about games that I've just abandoned.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.