Recently-abandoned games Page 272

• Bichii 24 Mar 2020 13:03:48 2,876 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    So I'll take it that as a no? :)
  • Mola_Ram 24 Mar 2020 13:06:27 23,529 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Seriously, the main reason why you abandon a game, is because you don't like it. See: me and the cursed Peggle not-RPG.

So it seems a bit weird to expect positivity in a thread about abandoned games.
  • Bichii 24 Mar 2020 13:07:46 2,876 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I'm only joking anyway. I'm a pretty negative person but fuzzy makes me feel like zippy.
  • Steve-Perry 24 Mar 2020 13:17:21 1,121 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    Nioh - 3rd time. I just can't be arsed with it. Dark Souls 1 was fairly confusing and obtuse when you first play it but this game is ridiculous. Within about 30 minutes you are completely overwhelmed by menus, exotic item names, combat systems, mechanics, statistics to the point it's paralysing and I just turn it off. My total playtime must be about 4-5 hours over these 3 attempts and I still don't know what 90% of the shit in the game does.

For contrast, Sekiro is difficult to master but really easy to pick up. It guides you through the initial section with simple tutorials and your skills are drip fed to you. Items are easy to understand.

I keep trying to play it as a souls fan (and because I paid full whack for it on release) but I really can't muster the enthusiasm. I think that's the last time.

Edited by Steve-Perry at 13:19:13 24-03-2020
  • Bichii 24 Mar 2020 13:32:51 2,876 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Nioh 1&2 are brilliant but you are correct. How it gives you the information is poor and there is far too much fluff in every area it makes it a chore to learn the game.
  • Steve-Perry 24 Mar 2020 15:54:00 1,121 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    I'm sure they are great once you've got through that initial learning curve. I really can't be bothered however.
  • MrAGSystems 24 Mar 2020 18:40:38 844 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    @Bichii I'll meet you halfway - I'll keep the negativity to in here (although that Marauder boss fight can GTFO!).
    :)
  • HarryPalmer 24 Mar 2020 22:23:06 6,096 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Horace. I really want to complete it, but it's not going to happen. It reminds me of the Amiga games I used to love, which is great, but it is unbelievably obtuse and just never gives the player a break. Got about 8 hours in and I'm fed up with all the great stuff being ruined by poor signposting and ridiculous difficulty spikes.
  • Ror 24 Mar 2020 22:43:36 19,972 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    DrStrangelove wrote:
    Watch Dogs (still free on EGS)

Spending 10 minutes to even get the game running because of uPlay crap certainly didn't get me into a favourable mood. Then go through like 5 minutes of staggeringly uninteresting introductory cutscenes. Then start the tutorial, realise it's got the same crappy cover mechanics as The Division. Then realise that all this hacking stuff is dreary AF. Then just don't give a fuck anymore and get caught. Then uninstall.

It's rare that a game gives me such a horrible first impression that I don't even finish the tutorial section. But everything about it to that point was absolute garbage. Nothing suggests this game could ever be fun or interesting in any way whatsoever.

Oh, and you have to rebind keys because the standard TAB for weapon wheel doesn't do anything.

Ubisoft truly is the worst publisher. I'm done with them now, for good. I won't even install free Ubi games anymore, what a waste of time.
    Heh, Watch Dogs was the game that made me swear off Ubisoft games, too.

I did go back, and ended up really loving AssCreed Oranges
  • MrAGSystems 24 Mar 2020 23:30:19 844 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    Yeah Ass Oranges was great fun. I mean, THE BENT PYRAMID FFS.

I do still like a lot of their smaller titles like Rayman and the Trials games.
  • docrob 25 Mar 2020 00:14:09 1,540 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I bought Black Flag, but I just couldn't seem to get on with it. Was recently very tempted to get Odyssey (I like the subject matter and it was selling for cheap) but didn't.
  • Ror 25 Mar 2020 01:21:21 19,972 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    FWIW, the newest two are basically action RPGs at this point, so if that interests you more, you might enjoy Odyssey.
  • MrAGSystems 25 Mar 2020 01:24:44 844 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    The games are still a bit janky but running around Egypt was a genuine thrill.
  • Armoured_Bear 25 Mar 2020 01:40:32 28,696 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I just bought Odyssey as it's cheapo on PSN, only started the tutorial but the combat at least is much improved (I haven't played an AssCreed game since the one in Paris bored me to tears).
  • Red_Bool 25 Mar 2020 07:11:22 1,953 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I liked "the one in Paris" (Unity), after I started to focus on the story missions and ignoring most of the other fluff.

Odyssey is one of my favourite games I played last year. Totally different from Unity, more action RPG and a lot of the (side) missions are good fun. The combat could have been better (it leans towards the Dark Souls, but not as tight), but as Mr Bear says it is already much improved.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 25 Mar 2020 07:26:31 24,360 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Is the combat much different from Origins?
  • DownwardSpiral 25 Mar 2020 07:37:41 615 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    Yeah I can't stand the Ass games personally but loved Origins and like what I've played of Odyssey so far.
  • Frogofdoom 25 Mar 2020 08:06:48 16,223 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    It's not much different but its definitely better than the origins combat.
  • monsieur-Cosmo 25 Mar 2020 09:21:31 585 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The Council (PC).
    Never heard of this game before. The interwebs said it was free on Steam. Steam said it was an RPG(?). Installed it. Watched some butt-ugly faces talk... especially that creepy-ass mother scared the hell out of me. Endured some slow and dull gameplay. Uninstalled.

Edited by monsieur-Cosmo at 14:00:13 25-03-2020
  • Dombat 25 Mar 2020 09:59:00 1,742 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I also stopped playing Ubisoft open world games after the mind numbing experience of Watch Dogs. I am interested in AC Origins and Odyssey but I canít justify getting either of them with the backlog of games Iíd rather focus on.
  • Zippity-zap 25 Mar 2020 09:59:18 528 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Bichii wrote:
    I'm only joking anyway. I'm a pretty negative person but fuzzy makes me feel like zippy.
    I beg your pardon!
  • Malek86 25 Mar 2020 10:01:47 10,025 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Dombat tbf I don't think Watch Dogs is a good example of Ubisoft games. Yeah, the DNA is always the same, but the quality in that specific case is bottom of the barrel. As others have said, AC Origins is on a completely different level.
  • Dombat 25 Mar 2020 10:05:37 1,742 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Malek86 wrote:
    @Dombat tbf I don't think Watch Dogs is a good example of Ubisoft games. Yeah, the DNA is always the same, but the quality in that specific case is bottom of the barrel. As others have said, AC Origins is on a completely different level.
    Yeah, time permitting I would like to give it a go at some point because of all their open world franchises the AC series has most clicked with me, just because I enjoy historical settings. I got burnt out after the early games in the series but appreciate Origins has changed things up.

I have no time for Far Cry, however.
  • PazJohnMitch 25 Mar 2020 10:12:00 15,689 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Dombat Playing Odyssey at the moment. It is the sort of game you can enjoyably play for hours but never feel like you have experienced anything worthwhile.

It is comfortable. Frequently pretty and very competent but unremarkable.

Pretty much achieves what it set out to be. Which is to be the best 8/10 game ever.

Edited by PazJohnMitch at 10:12:32 25-03-2020
  • Bichii 25 Mar 2020 10:12:20 2,876 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    AddyB_ wrote:
    Yeah I can't stand the Ass games personally but loved Origins and like what I've played of Odyssey so far.
    What's the difference? I detest ass games so I'm interested in knowing what made origins not unbelievably shit like ass 2&3.
  • PazJohnMitch 25 Mar 2020 10:35:49 15,689 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Bichii

I have only played 2, Brotherhood, 4 and Odyssey. Those have all got progressively better. As in bigger, more polished and more organic in structure.

Essentially if you hated the core gameplay of 2 then you will still hate Odyssey. If however you liked the basis but got burnt out by the number of games. Then Odyssey is a good one to pop back into for.
  • Bichii 25 Mar 2020 10:44:45 2,876 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I'll check out some videos. For me assassin creed games, the ones I played, are just maps full of crap I don't want to do. Extremely generic combat and climbing that looks nice but just required you to press a button and push forward. Just overall the most generic games made for mass market appeal, just like the far cry series. Most Ubisoft games for me are just trash made to sell the most. A bit like a pop group like one direction, everything is focused on what focus groups say or marketing teams. In assassin's creeds case it would be "bigger maps! More icons! More things to collect! Easier combat! Easier climbing! More tutorials! More fluff to make the game take longer to complete! Prettier menus!"
  • Rum_Monkey 25 Mar 2020 10:46:29 623 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    You aren't far off there actually but the last 2 ass games have put some effort in gameplay wise.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.