Recently-abandoned games Page 274

• muddyyfunster 1 Apr 2020 16:25:58 139 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The Outer Worlds

Not a bad game but I kept waiting for it to draw me in and it just didn't. Gave it about 6hrs until I got to the second planet and then parked it. Had no urge to return in the weeks since so I'll trade it in. Not a bad game and the dialogue is good, but it all felt overly familiar and neither the story or the atmosphere was enough to get me invested. My gaming time is limited and persisting with merely good not great games is hard to justify when there are so many options. I remember feeling a similar way towards the end of the last generation.
  • Chug666 1 Apr 2020 16:36:49 704 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @DUFFMAN5 I found the secret to Shadow of War was to blast through it without worrying overly about side quests and challenges; whenever i got bogged down i started to get bored but hammering the main path kept it interesting enough for me to finish. But I agree, lost something compared to the first.
  • Malek86 1 Apr 2020 16:39:06 10,158 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Outer Worlds was very much Fallout-lite in space. Unfortunately, the story wasn't much better than the average Bethesda Fallout, and they screwed up by putting all the interesting stuff in cities and not enough in the field.

It wasn't bad, I had fun with it, but by the last 10 hours (out of 30), I had stopped caring and just wanted to finish it.
  • Dombat 1 Apr 2020 18:35:49 1,778 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The Outer Worlds loses its way on the second (main) planet - thatís when the tedium set in for me. The story does pick up again in the latter stages but while I enjoyed the game I can see why it wouldnít hold a lot of peopleís attention. Itís a very average game in all departments.

I agree the problem is that exploration isnít really rewarded like it is in Fallout as all the dialogue and quests are in settlements. Actually Iíd say itís the biggest flaw with the game. Environmental storytelling with the logs can be amusing though.
  • Darth_Flibble 5 Apr 2020 09:28:00 4,311 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Guacamelee 2

While it has nice visuals, the combat is really unbalanced a lot of the time and the mechanics are not as polished and smooth as the devs think they are at times they feel a bit clunky. Also the games very few new ideas as the devs fall back on 1 hit kills and rooms of enemies with different shields, dimension swapping as jumping while avoiding 1 hit kills. Ori and will of the wisps got everything thing right eg controls and difficulty for a lot of the game
  • Darth_Flibble 5 Apr 2020 21:35:25 4,311 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Watched a near end game video, its run up wall, fly dash across then uppercut, dimension shift. grapple, dimension shift, grapple. As mentioned it does feel sluggish. (turns out you need the other 4 parts for the good ending which are behind bastard stages) fuck that
  • Nitrous 5 Apr 2020 22:04:42 2,049 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Trials Rising.

After the disappointment of fusion this is a return to form but I think I've had enough. The map UI they went for ends up cluttered with trials from what looks to be user created content to challenges on tracks I'd already been through.

Don't event get me started on the loot box reward shite. Ubisoft have a heavy influence here unfortunately. No need for a map that's had a load of pins thrown at it and even though you can filter events it doesn't seem to allow for more than 1 filter option at a time. Give me a list of tracks and events and I'm happy.

Tracks are actually great in design it's just everything else around it

Edited by Nitrous at 22:06:30 05-04-2020
  • waggy79 5 Apr 2020 22:40:55 2,295 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Nitrous Exactly how I felt. They never topped Evolution for me.
  • TechnoHippy 6 Apr 2020 08:11:45 17,476 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Moons of Madness

Dull. More dull and just dull to play.
  • HarryPalmer 8 Apr 2020 10:35:14 6,141 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    A Plague Tale.

I've been wanting to play this for ages, but I just couldn't get past the absolutely shite controls and terrible stealth. I'm sure the story is decent and it looks amazing, but they should have made the actual gameplay interesting too.
  • DUFFMAN5 8 Apr 2020 10:39:31 26,034 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @HarryPalmer
    I loved it until the final few chapters, found the stealth pretty good for the most part. However towards the end it became very cheap and the final bit/bits...just not great.
  • HarryPalmer 8 Apr 2020 10:45:46 6,141 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @DUFFMAN5 I reaaallly wanted to like it - but I've just got so little time for stuff that pisses me off at the moment!
  • Malek86 8 Apr 2020 12:25:25 10,158 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I abandoned Plague Tale at around chapter 8. It didn't feel like it was going to get any better, and if anything, the puzzles were starting to get either too obvious or too long.
  • Cadence 8 Apr 2020 12:48:50 2,516 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    It definitely got worse towards the end and the less said about the awful final boss fight the better.
  • hedben2013 8 Apr 2020 12:50:51 1,605 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I just wrote a lengthy post about abandoning The Surge 2 but couldn't come up with a valid reason so it's staying for now!
  • welshben1982 8 Apr 2020 15:36:50 1,314 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Project Cars 2

I downloaded it as part of Games With Gold. I realise that you can Google how to change the control system to suit Xbox controllers but you shouldn't have to do that. If you don't though it's like trying to turn a corner while wearing Boxing gloves whilst having a stroke. Hideous
  • dsmx 8 Apr 2020 15:37:57 8,588 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    project cars demands a wheel, it shouldn't even support standard controllers really.
  • Malek86 12 Apr 2020 10:03:24 10,158 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Generations of Chaos: Pandora's Reflection on the PSP.

I played it as an attempt to finally complete a strategy game, since every review said it was very easy. Of course, by episode 12 (out of about 30 as far as I could tell), the game is already kicking my ass.

No big loss, the story was boring and the combat system pretty repetitive anyway.
  • TechnoHippy 12 Apr 2020 10:06:11 17,476 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Struggling to get into any game at the moment.
  • Gunzberg 12 Apr 2020 12:57:39 2,796 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Very close to abandoning Afterparty. It's utter dogshit. Dull dialogue, dull locations, not funny, a hipster-beta male mishmash trying to be edgy. Oxenfree was half decent but this is so boring that after just two minutes of playing I feel like doing something else.

My brain is literally getting dumber every minute I play this.

I might persevere but by god is this worthy of a 0/10.
  • Gunzberg 12 Apr 2020 13:16:37 2,796 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I just finished the court scene. There are apparently two to three more major sections but I can't be bothered at the moment. Going to play something else and come back some other time
  • TechnoHippy 12 Apr 2020 13:32:06 17,476 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I made it as far as the party near the beginning and gave up.
  • kentmonkey 12 Apr 2020 19:48:17 23,609 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Hated After party. Ran terribly, and I think I actually found Mrs Brown's Boys to be more amusing than the humour they served up. Dreadful game.
  • docrob 12 Apr 2020 20:40:23 1,574 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Fallen Order. Iíve done the first couple of planets, but Iím not really feeling it right now. It doesnít really feel Star Wars enough to compensate for my finding it a bit dull. Iíll probably go back to it later, but itís parked for now.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.