Recently-abandoned games Page 290

• wuntyate 21 May 2020 12:20:20 14,664 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I definitely finished it when I was younger but I must have used a cheat. there's no bloody way a younger me could have done that last graveyard and castle section. No chance! C2 was definitely a lot more accessable but I always preferred 1 as an actual game. Thought 2 was too gimicky and I didn't like a lot of the mini games in it nearly as much.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 21 May 2020 12:21:44 8,695 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @wuntyate Didn't the cheat involve waggling your joystick (paging Innuendobot!) for ages on the title-screen? That probably resulted in a few dead joysticks as well.
  • wuntyate 21 May 2020 12:23:17 14,664 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ha yes. There was a lot of joystick waggling in those days. We went through quite a lot.
  • DUFFMAN5 21 May 2020 12:24:12 25,868 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Shitty free psn game Horizon Turbo, basically a Outrun ripoff. Played for a few races yesterday, not for me.
  • Graxlar_v3 21 May 2020 13:33:25 10,041 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    convz wrote:
    Xenoblade Chronicles.

I barely got 10 minutes in but wow it's so bad. The combat is amongst the worst I've ever experienced in a game. So disappointing :(
    10 minutes? Really?
    Pretty sure you donít even have the manado in the first ten minutes
  • convz 21 May 2020 13:35:15 1,182 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    convz wrote:
    Xenoblade Chronicles.

I barely got 10 minutes in but wow it's so bad. The combat is amongst the worst I've ever experienced in a game. So disappointing :(
    10 minutes? Really?
    I appreciate that it's not enough time, but I can't remember having such a strong negative reaction to a game before.

The opening cutscene is incredibly unengaging - I had to really force myself to not skip it, and then once the combat starts... urgh. The combat just feels so weightless and like I could basically play it on autopilot. The combat at least felt similar to Ni No Kuni to me but much worse... and Ni No Kuni's was bad enough.

Honestly if it was maybe 15-20 hours long I would perhaps give it more of a chance, but the idea of sinking 70+ hours into this just isn't appealing

Edited by convz at 13:40:43 21-05-2020
  • evild_edd 21 May 2020 13:51:16 4,232 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    MrAGSystems wrote:
    evild_edd wrote:
    MrAGSystems wrote:
    evild_edd wrote:
    MrAGSystems wrote:

Super Mario World is the best 2D game ever made, Super Mario Galaxy 2 is the best game ever.
    I love SMW. It's great.

I can only assume you've not played Spelunky, however. Not only is it better than any Mario title, it's better than all of them combined. All the best bits, from decades of Mario, eclipsed in Roguelike coding perfection.

That doesn't lessen Mario though. Still awesome.
    I've tried to play Spelunky several times and it has bored me to tears.

Randomly generated levels can't hold a candle to tight level design and Rogue-likes are turgid grinds. Even if everything else was equal, Spelunky can't hold a candle to Mario in terms of platforming.
    Hey, each to their own. I like both and appreciate them for their different elements.

Spelunky's platforming is superb though. The feel and precision is better than 2D Mario (it would be unfair to compare to the wooly I'm handling of the 3D titles - I mean SMG games are great but the Wii nunchuck controls weren't.)

Spelunky isn't for everyone perhaps because it is demanding and requires a reasonable level of skill (especially if you want to go the hell route), but I thought you might appreciate that given your gaming tastes.

And the randomly generated levels are excellent compared with designed levels... Even more so when compared to other roguelikes (Rogue Legacy - a pure grind fest - felt primitive by comparison).

All each to their own territory.
    I'm beginning to think we've played completely different Mario games. There's nothing "wooly" about the nunchuck controls on Wii (I mean, the nunchuck is analogoue stick with shoulder buttons). Mario has predictable and satisfying momentum and inertia, finding pixel-perfect routes and shortcuts is a thing.

My disaste for Spelunky has nothing to do with difficulty - it's just not very good. It also stank of the emperor's New clothes.
    I'm actually off-and-on playing SMG on Wii now (introducing my 6yo to Mario games) and, genuinely, SMG doesn't handle as well as I remembered. Wooly is over staring it, but it's not perfect. I thing the issue is with the controller itself. The camera control is shit as well, but that's almost always the case in 3D platforms. I actually think Mario 64 did a better job with the camera.
  • evild_edd 21 May 2020 13:52:33 4,232 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    On the subject of Mario: how come NSMB handles like a piece of shit? A massive backwards step from the SNES era 2D Mario heyday!
  • DUFFMAN5 21 May 2020 13:52:52 25,868 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    MrAGSystems wrote:
    @DUFFMAN5 That game made me feel motion sick.
    Can totally see that.
  • Mola_Ram 21 May 2020 13:59:18 23,707 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    convz wrote:
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    convz wrote:
    Xenoblade Chronicles.

10 minutes? Really?
    I appreciate that it's not enough time, but I can't remember having such a strong negative reaction to a game before.

The opening cutscene is incredibly unengaging - I had to really force myself to not skip it, and then once the combat starts... urgh. The combat just feels so weightless and like I could basically play it on autopilot. The combat at least felt similar to Ni No Kuni to me but much worse... and Ni No Kuni's was bad enough.

Honestly if it was maybe 15-20 hours long I would perhaps give it more of a chance, but the idea of sinking 70+ hours into this just isn't appealing
    I guess so. It just seems like a waste to spend money on something that you abandon without even really playing. It really is a great JRPG.

But hey, it's your money!
  • convz 21 May 2020 14:01:55 1,182 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Thanks! To be honest I got it many years ago but only just got around to playing it so the money-side feels less of an issue. I'm going to watch a couple of reviews and maybe give it another shot!
  • Rhaegyr 21 May 2020 14:06:11 5,122 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    If you like JRPG's I'd really give it another go - it's my absolute favourite of them all (above Skies, Grandia, FF, Persona etc). It's a little slow to start but it really does open up once you leave the first area.

I am worried I'm blinded my nostalgia though - we'll find out in a couple of weeks!
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 21 May 2020 14:10:32 8,695 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I've bounced off the original Xenoblade Chronicles twice now, both times after 6 hours or so. I know I was still in the introductory section before it really gets going, but that's not exactly a short intro section...

I did stick with Xenoblade X to completion. Some fantastic stuff in there, but my god it was a game with a casual disregard for the value of the player's time.
  • PierrePressure 21 May 2020 14:19:18 1,077 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I feel like the only person who absolutely loves the 3D Mario games. Hoping the rumours are true about the remakes, they'll be day one for me.
  • evild_edd 21 May 2020 14:24:49 4,232 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @PierrePressure

The only person? Loads of people (rightly) love them. They're great. You can love something whilst also not considering it perfect.
  • PazJohnMitch 21 May 2020 14:26:11 15,801 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I think Mario Galaxy 2 is the best game ever made. It is also on the console before last, so not exactly a topical subject of conversation.
  • Graxlar_v3 21 May 2020 15:26:30 10,041 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Rhaegyr wrote:
    If you like JRPG's I'd really give it another go - it's my absolute favourite of them all (above Skies, Grandia, FF, Persona etc). It's a little slow to start but it really does open up once you leave the first area.

I am worried I'm blinded my nostalgia though - we'll find out in a couple of weeks!
    Man I wish we would get a skies of Arcadia remake :(
  • Mola_Ram 21 May 2020 15:39:11 23,707 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I don't think Xenoblade Chronicles is flawless. There's ever so many fetch quests with bad or non-existent signposting (thankfully they're not mandatory), and some of your party members are really irritating. DIE RIKI DIE

But most of the characters are great. The story is great. The sheer sense of scale that you get when you first get to the Gaur Plains... that is great. And the music... oh my god the music is fantastic. I'm interested in the remastered version for the soundtrack alone.
  • Rodderz 21 May 2020 15:50:26 4,086 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Rogueywon wrote:
    @wuntyate Creatures was always nails-hard. I remember breaking a joystick in frustration over one of the water sequences. Don't think I ever beat it in the end, though I did get through the more puzzle-oriented sequel.
    Wow, Creatures! That takes me back! I always remember that it was a really good looking game for the C64, and as was usual had great SID music/sfx. I don't think I ever went as far as breaking a joystick (might have come close though), but neither did I beat it. I didn't know about that cheat!

Mind you, I'm not sure how many games I ever did fully complete on C64, especially stuff like Dizzy, the Mystic Knight series like Knight Tyme etc were just too obscure for me to work out in the end, even though I loved playing them.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 21 May 2020 15:53:05 8,695 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Ugh, and I've just gone and installed a C64 emulator. Guess I'll be playing Creatures later to see if it's as hard as I remembered.
  • evild_edd 21 May 2020 15:57:08 4,232 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @MrAGSystems

You press the equivalent of LB (whatever it's called on the Wii nunchuck) to snap the camera. That's the only way to control. It's not a problem on the more prescriptive sections, but when you're in an area of free exploration, looking for a star piece for example, you notice the lack of a second stick. It's at its worst in swimming sections which are clunky. I'd encourage you to give it a whirl - it's not as fluid as I recalled.

The game is still a joy, but (like any title) it's not perfect.
  • wuntyate 21 May 2020 17:26:44 14,664 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Rogueywon (it is)
  • wuntyate 21 May 2020 17:49:18 14,664 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Rodderz I'm pretty sure i got quite far in treasure Island dizzy back in the day but never finished it. I've been playing the c64 mini of late and it's amazing just how far I didn't get in nearly all the games. Some - that i have vivid memories of playing loads - i didn't get more than a few screens into.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 21 May 2020 18:00:46 8,695 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Problem is, if I play Creatures, I'm going to have to play Turrican as well. And Turrican 2.

Edited by Rogueywon at 18:00:54 21-05-2020
  • AddyB- 21 May 2020 18:07:55 710 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    Rogueywon wrote:
    Problem is, if I play Creatures, I'm going to have to play Turrican as well. And Turrican 2.
    Heh i played the turrican games just last week via winuae.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 21 May 2020 18:13:47 8,695 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Late-C64 had some cracking games, didn't it? Around the time Turrican 2 came out, my parents got the first family PC - a 286 12mhz. The PC was a far more powerful machine than the C64, but it felt like it took ages for PC games to outstrip what the C64 had to offer.
  • JoeBlade 21 May 2020 18:30:40 4,954 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Rogueywon wrote:
    Late-C64 had some cracking games, didn't it? Around the time Turrican 2 came out, my parents got the first family PC - a 286 12mhz. The PC was a far more powerful machine than the C64, but it felt like it took ages for PC games to outstrip what the C64 had to offer.
    That's not all that exceptional nor exclusive to C-64, now is it? It takes devs several years to learn all the bits and bobs of a specific platform and come up with clever tricks to make the most of the hardware.

The only difference nowadays is that at least one dev typically gets very early access to a new platform (i.e. years before release) to make sure there's at least one killer app when said platform hits the market. That wasn't the case yet back then.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.