Recently-abandoned games Page 292

• kentmonkey 22 May 2020 12:59:13 23,738 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I'm 43 in a very short while.

I'll be trying to bring the words 'quintessential' and 'forsooth' back.
  • waggy79 22 May 2020 13:12:42 2,324 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Been playing some New Zealand Story and Rainbow Islands this morning. Had to make do with spectrum and atari ST versions back then when I wasnt in the arcades. Taito made so many classics.
    NZS is pretty tough but checkpointing is generous compared to most of the time when it was a level restart each life.
  • JamboWayOh 22 May 2020 13:13:35 20,723 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Graxlar_v3 wrote:
    I am 39 in just over 4 years. I intend to bring back innit.
    Yeah, I feel you fam!
  • Anthony_UK 22 May 2020 14:07:39 3,034 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Red Dead Redemption 2

Did give this another try based on some of the comments here. Exploring the world I have to say is astounding. Even on console the visuals are amazing, but the overall the level of detail and effort gone into this is just so far beyond most games it's ridiculous. It's less of a game, more of a cowboy simulator.

I've just tried to switch to Asassins Creed Origins and it looks like a janky mess in comparison.

As for RDR2 it's those controls again, for combat especially that kills it for me. Considering the level of detail gone everywhere else, it's criminal that it has probably the worst cover system in any game ever along with the most unsatisfying unresponsive aiming and shooting mechanics in any game ever (other than another Rockstar game)

Also such a glacial pace is fine, refreshing even. But shoehorning the standard GTA police mechanics into that world that are instantly on your case with a seemingly broken bounty system again just feels off.

Hands down one of if not the best open world ever created. But could have been so much more.
  • KnuttinAtoll 22 May 2020 14:19:21 8,196 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Interesting to see so many bounce off RDR2. I literally can't play it - don't own a current gen console and my PC won't be able to run it at reasonable settings, so seeing it mentioned in this thread so often makes me feel a bit better.

I'm a sucker for detailed sandboxes though - but do prefer the contemporary GTA setting to be honest. I own RDR1 on PS3 and it was certainly a good game, but GTA offers so many more toys (cars, planes, boats, bikes, etc.) to play around with.
  • JamboWayOh 22 May 2020 14:27:55 20,723 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I'm definitely one of those rare people who love the game and definitely have no issue with the controls or game pace. As already described its a cowboy simulator, if that's not your jam then it isn't for you.
  • JoeBlade 22 May 2020 14:35:49 5,233 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    JamboWayOh wrote:
    As already described its a cowboy simulator
    I can't help but think of Brokeback Mountain whenever this term is mentioned.
  • wuntyate 22 May 2020 14:36:49 15,270 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    JamboWayOh wrote:
    I'm definitely one of those rare people who love the game and definitely have no issue with the controls or game pace. As already described its a cowboy simulator, if that's not your jam then it isn't for you.
    Yeah that was my feelings exactly. You've got to very much be in the whole "slow burn western" state of mind. Westerns are all slow moving plot, lingering shots of a beautiful vista, bad man taking a long time to eventually do bad things and good men taking even longer to kill the bad men doing bad things. The controls I very much got on with, but it's obviously a marmite situation.

Personally I loved it, but I did have to take a good break for a few weeks around halfway through.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 22 May 2020 14:37:02 26,365 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I didn't have a problem with the controls, was really enjoying it up to a point but then got really bored all of a sudden. Have tried a few times to get back into it but can't.
  • Devilligan 22 May 2020 14:55:01 642 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Decks

I had exactly this. Was really loving it as far as getting to the big city, and suddenly my enthusiasm for it just fell out of a window. Not sure why. Thinking about going back to it, but part of me knows that I'll want to start from the beginning again cos I'll have forgotten how lots of things work, and that's hours of gaming I'll have lost.
  • Switch-v85 22 May 2020 15:16:36 4,053 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I loved what I played of Red Dead 2 but also randomly stopped playing it. Keep meaning to go back. I don't think it's the games fault tbh, I drop loads of games I'm enjoying, I just have a wandering eye.
  • lordofthedunce 22 May 2020 15:27:08 678 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Destiny 2. Apart from maybe the odd Raid I just can't see myself playing this again. Started around a year and a half ago, have played 400 hours or so. Something just snapped, I'll see what they final season pass for the year brings but I think I'm out. I think it's the grind, just not fun anymore. I'm by no means a hardcore player, either.

Just checked : 267 hours

Edited by lordofthedunce at 15:32:41 22-05-2020
  • AddyB- 22 May 2020 18:33:39 916 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    I am really surprised by all the comments about the RDR2 controls. Do people have beadle hand or something?

They are not that bad. Yes i know opinions, opinions but no, fuck off.
  • TechnoHippy 22 May 2020 18:41:17 17,713 posts
    Seen 18 seconds ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I loved RDR2, but the controls were awful (although I did get used to them) - not enough to put me off the game, but I can see why it would. GTA suffers the same issue.
  • JamboWayOh 22 May 2020 18:44:58 20,723 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    AddyB_ wrote:
    I am really surprised by all the comments about the RDR2 controls. Do people have beadle hand or something?

They are not that bad. Yes i know opinions, opinions but no, fuck off.
    Fucking lol. Beadle hand...
  • Mr_Sleep 22 May 2020 19:07:30 23,490 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Decks wrote:
    I didn't have a problem with the controls, was really enjoying it up to a point but then got really bored all of a sudden. Have tried a few times to get back into it but can't.
    I had a problem with the controls but got over that eventually. I also lost interest at some point but persevered through to the end. This didn't make me like the game more. It is very very good up to just after the set piece where one assaults the farmhouse in a storm.

After that sequence it became stuffy, overly contrived and increasingly boring. It still has some good stuff throughout but the missions lose the earlier magic.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 22 May 2020 19:10:44 26,365 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yeah I think I gave up soon after that.
  • AddyB- 22 May 2020 19:33:57 916 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    Both different games though innit.
  • RyanDS 22 May 2020 19:35:32 13,325 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    AddyB_ wrote:
    One is a game. One is an technical showcase that forgets games should be fun to play.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 22 May 2020 19:38:26 26,365 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I did think Marsden could have used a jetpack attached to his buttocks to be fair. Like in the days of yore.
  • AddyB- 22 May 2020 19:40:59 916 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    RyanDS wrote:
    AddyB_ wrote:
    One is a game. One is an technical showcase that forgets games should be fun to play.
    I had loads of fun playing RDR2

/Shrugs
  • JamboWayOh 22 May 2020 19:42:59 20,723 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    MrAGSystems wrote:
    Controlling a game like Vanquish vs. controlling a game like RDR2. One is infinitely more fun and engaging than the other.
    A totally fair comparison....
  • AddyB- 22 May 2020 19:55:32 916 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    Lmao they are nothing like each other.

Arena based shooter which is very fast paced and visceral.

Vs

A slow methodical open world game with lashings of character.

Edited by AddyB_ at 19:55:48 22-05-2020
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 22 May 2020 19:57:20 26,365 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    So you would want a game which is trying to simulate being a cowboy to play like Vanquish?
  • AddyB- 22 May 2020 19:58:00 916 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    I do agree with the sentiment that R* biggest weakness are the controls, and how they feel in their games, but i stop right there without going into a hyperbolic meltdown of beadle hand proportions.

Edited by AddyB_ at 19:58:46 22-05-2020
  • RyanDS 22 May 2020 19:59:55 13,325 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Decks wrote:
    So you would want a game which is trying to simulate being a cowboy to play like Vanquish?
    Well a start would be the cowboy to move like a cowboy rather than an 20 tonne truck. I real life I can turn my body in less than 12 seconds unlike Marsden.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.