Recently-abandoned games Page 293

• DownwardSpiral 22 May 2020 20:00:25 604 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    Anyway im getting drawn into another shitty discussion. Everything i hate about this godforsaken place. Back to lurking and rolling my eyes.

Carry on.
  • Frogofdoom 22 May 2020 20:05:20 16,215 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I loved RDR2 and thought vanquish was a steaming pile of shit.

The shooting was the only shitty thing about the controls I thought.
  • JamboWayOh 22 May 2020 20:21:22 18,736 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    RyanDS wrote:
    Decks wrote:
    So you would want a game which is trying to simulate being a cowboy to play like Vanquish?
    Well a start would be the cowboy to move like a cowboy rather than an 20 tonne truck. I real life I can turn my body in less than 12 seconds unlike Marsden.
    Again, I believe that slowness is an overall theme of the game, it was blatantly a design choice to have this slowness translate to the controls. Obviously some people appreciate it and some don't.
  • MrAGSystems 22 May 2020 20:34:25 835 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    AddyB_ wrote:
    Lmao they are nothing like each other.

Arena based shooter which is very fast paced and visceral.

Vs

A slow methodical open world game with lashings of character.
    They're entirely like each other - they're third person shooters that you engage with through the exact same controller.

It's just as valid as people saying "Witcher 3 has no excuse to control like it does when Dark Souls exists". While the hooks of both games are different (and I've sunk hundreds of hours into both) it doesn't change the fact that Dark Souls is mechanically much more satisfying to play and Geralt's day out is janky.

I appreciate that Brokeback Mountain Simulator is a slow and methodical game - which in itself is fine - but it doesn't excuse the fact that the game controls with all the finesse and responsiveness of Little Willie.
  • MrAGSystems 22 May 2020 20:36:23 835 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    AddyB_ wrote:
    I do agree with the sentiment that R* biggest weakness are the controls, and how they feel in their games, but i stop right there without going into a hyperbolic meltdown of beadle hand proportions.
    If it's of Beadle Hand proportions, wouldn't it be really, really small? 🤔
  • JamboWayOh 22 May 2020 20:39:44 18,736 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    MrAGSystems wrote:
    AddyB_ wrote:

Vs

They're entirely like each other - they're third person shooters that you engage with through the exact same controller.
    Well that's that then.
  • Mythica 22 May 2020 20:50:37 118 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    Yes, I really wished a wild west simulator played like Vanquish. What were R* thinking not to allow players to slide into the local saloon on their knees and start blowing shit up! 🙄

MrAGSystems talking bollocks again, but as per his MO doubles down rather than admit he's wrong.

Vanquish was shit anyway.
  • JamboWayOh 22 May 2020 20:55:16 18,736 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    No, Vanquish was and is brilliant but they're completely different games with a different objective and playstyle. You can compare them on a very basic level but to put them on equal footing comparison wise is just straight up bollocks.
  • Mythica 22 May 2020 20:55:37 118 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    JamboWayOh wrote:
    MrAGSystems wrote:
    AddyB_ wrote:

Vs

Well that's that then.
    Can I have a go?

"Tomb Raider and Life is Strange are entirely like each other because you play as a girl and use a controller!"
  • wuntyate 22 May 2020 21:02:30 14,500 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Doom Eternal is the same as euro truck simulator because they each feature a road somewhere. Every time i drove my truck i hated it because i couldn't grapple fuck all. So i launched euro truck because of that and Doom followed because i couldn't deliver my cargo of panty liners to mars.
  • MrAGSystems 22 May 2020 21:39:21 835 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    Mythica wrote:
    Yes, I really wished a wild west simulator played like Vanquish. What were R* thinking not to allow players to slide into the local saloon on their knees and start blowing shit up! 🙄

MrAGSystems talking bollocks again, but as per his MO doubles down rather than admit he's wrong.

I don't want it to have the same mechanics, I want it to have the same sort of fluidity to the controls.

Reading comprehension - you should give it a go sometime.
  • Samildanach 22 May 2020 22:05:40 279 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Mythica wrote:
    Now I really want that game...
  • MrAGSystems 22 May 2020 22:13:38 835 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    I mean, it's basically the BraveStarr game we never knew we wanted.
  • Anthony_UK 22 May 2020 22:47:11 2,996 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    It's personal preference, but I was just expecting something more dynamic than the stodgy gunplay that hadn't progressed since GTA4, it clashed against the realism everywhere else.

When I walked into the first town I was in awe at the level of detail, hell googling it now Rockstar even modelled the shrinking of a horse testicles based on the season and temperature.

Having the resources to employ someone to 3D model different size horse bollocks, when you're gunplay hasn't progressed in 12 years seems crazy.

Having the gunplay more considered, losing balance and stumbling for cover to make it more organic or even just a cover system that works and doesn't leave half your body exposed while wrestling with the aiming would have been great.

Fully get the love, it's an awesome achievement of a game. For me it's frustrating because some elements are so far ahead of other developers efforts it's ridiculous, when others key parts have stood still and not improved in over a decade.
  • Graxlar_v3 23 May 2020 10:59:11 9,902 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Tried deadly premonition this morning - I liked the prologue, I liked the start of chapter 1. But less than a minute of the driving made me feel very sick.
  • PazJohnMitch 23 May 2020 11:31:38 15,670 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Graxlar_v3

The driving is absolutely awful (and the reason I didnít bother with lots of side quests) but the main story is masterful to the point it is worth persevering through the driving if you can.
  • PazJohnMitch 23 May 2020 14:01:48 15,670 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Flashback

Absolutely hate the controls. It is just so clunky. I like the idea of it structurally and it is a pity there is not much like it in the modern era but mechanically it has aged really badly.

Fortunately I bought it in a really deep sale. So I feel it was worth paying that just to see what this almost mythical game was like. As a Megadrive owner this was one of those games I remember wanting to play at the time.

Edited by PazJohnMitch at 14:06:52 23-05-2020
  • TechnoHippy 23 May 2020 17:07:43 16,961 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Until they fix the stability Maneater is on hold, which is a shame as it's quite fun.
  • monsieur-Cosmo 23 May 2020 18:37:08 585 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Two games on Epic games store:
    Hob - is pretty, but I had no idea where to go after I got the sword and shield. There did not seem to be any hints about that.
    Just Cause 4 - just kept dying in the first "big" battle, also I had no idea who I was fighting. The one hour or so I've played was fun but too much was going on at the same time imho...sometimes less is more. Perhaps I should try the earlier games.

Edited by monsieur-Cosmo at 08:27:36 24-05-2020
  • Graxlar_v3 24 May 2020 08:57:27 9,902 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Yeah... I found job incredibly frustrating as it was just stumbling blindly alone... I am feeling this way with hyper light drifter too.
  • DrStrangelove 24 May 2020 09:08:32 15,091 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Graxlar_v3 wrote:
    I found job incredibly frustrating as it was just stumbling blindly alone
    ikr
  • Gunzberg 24 May 2020 09:35:54 2,795 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Hob is great, I was never lost once.
  • monsieur-Cosmo 24 May 2020 09:57:40 585 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Malek86 24 May 2020 10:07:33 9,985 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @monsieur-Cosmo definitely try the earlier Just Cause, either 2 or 3 (while 2 is my favorite, 3 was okay too). Much easier to approach and generally let you have fun however you wanted. I hated 4 for the scant couple hours I've played it.

Edited by Malek86 at 10:07:54 24-05-2020
  • monsieur-Cosmo 24 May 2020 10:08:51 585 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @Malek86 Thanks, will do as they go currently very cheap on Steam.
  • Malek86 24 May 2020 10:22:53 9,985 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Not sure how they hold up today, of course. I'd say 3 has better story missions, but the sandbox in 2 is more fun overall.
  • TechnoHippy 24 May 2020 10:49:52 16,961 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Generation Zero was a bit pants - started ok with a nice bit of atmosphere, then the combat happened.
  • QBX 24 May 2020 11:13:52 160 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Fire Emblem (GBA)

I'm on the last level and my patience has been used up getting to this point.

My units feel underleveled and only 3 of the 12 are actually doing a decent amount of damage that might see me through. The legendary weapons I was given don't do jack shit and regular weapons do even worse.

If there is any sort of strategy of surviving to the boss I honestly can't be arsed figuring out what it is.

Edit: after some faffing about I managed to get past the boss only for a dragon to show up. Lo and behold my weapons/defense buff do nothing and there is no checkpoint so you have to do the entire fucking fight again. Fuck that.

Edited by QBX at 12:28:06 24-05-2020
  • HisDudness 24 May 2020 11:21:24 1,713 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Spider-Man. This is the second time I've tried to get into it, and I got much further this time (I guess about half way), but I get bored after playing one mission so it has been really slow going. I think I'll just shelve it now.

I can see that the game is well made, and if you like Spider-man or comic books, it's probably really fun, but it's just not enough to keep me engaged for 20 hours or whatever.
  • HookJaw 24 May 2020 11:28:18 269 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    Mythica wrote:

Vanquish is overrated and shite, fo' sho'.

However, I think a fair comparison of controls would be RDR2 and Death Stranding. Both are slow paced massively sprawling open world third-person games. However, DS feels just right in how you control the physics of your character- carrying differently weighted cargo, shooting is a simple affair and traversing the landscape feels just right.

Movement in RDR2 by comparison is a turgid affair, selecting and aiming weapons is cumbersome and travelling around the landscape is marred by how every negative NPC encounter results in robocop-esque police pursuits. There's almost always someone to witness your misdemeanor, no matter how remote and off the beaten track you are.

RDR2 is not a terrible game, it's just not entirely fun to play. It has touches of genius, but spoils itself with poor movement and controls. And the less said about the DOA multiplayer the better....

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.