Recently-abandoned games Page 294

• Darth_Flibble 24 May 2020 11:33:35 4,240 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    F1 2018 (gamepass)

Last time I played a F1 game was 2011-ish and the games are lot better and more new user friendly now. But the AI can hit your car and get no penalty, few times the AI smacked my car and I got the time penalty warning, fuck off codemasters. I was first at the chequered flag and ended up 3 place. I hate when games do this. Also I not a fan of testing all the car improvements that you need to do in the game

Hopefully F1 2020 is better as its good racer. The career mode needs to be more interesting as press interviews are just give answer and you get +1 or -1 to aerodynamics team or rival team.
  • thenacmacfeegle 24 May 2020 14:58:38 5 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    Recent games I've abandoned... hmm...
    Red Dead Redemption 2

This is a weird one... It's so attractive to me (which is to say, walking through the world hunting deer is so attractive to me) that I actually fear trying to play it without being sure of how much time I can sink into it. Busy IRL now, and perhaps forevermore~

Can't really rate it.

Jedi Knight Fallen Order

I loved this, loved sharing it with my awestruck girlfriend, I just haven't yet forgiven it for the 9th sister being so frigging annoying to beat! I will eventually, I'm sure. It's still installed.

8.5/10

Valkyria Chronicles 2 (PSVita)
    I've got a bunch of Vita games I would like to play more, this is of course a [fantastic] PSP title, but I've been playing it on my Vita. I got to a certain mission that required me to get a highly explosive tank fuel barrel or something through a gauntlet.. it was sooo hard that I instantly lost all will to complete it. I will be back, I'm sure. Just gotta buff up my squad some more I guess~

9/10
  • Red_Bool 24 May 2020 18:47:59 1,972 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    PazJohnMitch wrote:
    Flashback

Absolutely hate the controls. It is just so clunky. I like the idea of it structurally and it is a pity there is not much like it in the modern era but mechanically it has aged really badly.

Fortunately I bought it in a really deep sale. So I feel it was worth paying that just to see what this almost mythical game was like. As a Megadrive owner this was one of those games I remember wanting to play at the time.
    Got this in the same sale (funded completely with gold coins, so basically "free").

I agree about the controls: You really need to adjust to them. They're quite methodical, as in when you started a motion it will follow through with that before you can do the next. Coming from games like Dead Cells that really took some getting used to.

I did complete it though. Partly because I had it on the Amiga and never got out of the jungle ("unfinished business"). And partly because I'm doing the PWYGGWYP challenge (so I had to ;)). There were actually only two real rage-inducing sections, but all-in-all I really liked it.
  • Your-Mother 24 May 2020 18:59:35 4,276 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    TechnoHippy wrote:
    Until they fix the stability Maneater is on hold, which is a shame as it's quite fun.
    Iíve had no stability issues but have definitely hit a point where the fun is gone. I donít know if I overlevelled or anything but Iím ridiculously overpowered, to the extent where Iím basically playing with a god mode button. With the bio electric evolutions your dodge becomes a massive damage dealer, and because dodge negates all damage you take and has no recharge or limits you can stand in the spot and press R1 repeatedly to complete the entire infamy track automatically without taking a shred of damage. And itís not like you have much of a choice as dodge is an essential move that you quickly die without. Iím only about two thirds through the game at this point.

Shame because up to that point it was an enjoyable b-game.

Edited by Your-Mother at 19:00:16 24-05-2020
  • TechnoHippy 24 May 2020 19:39:18 17,299 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I managed a 20 minute session before it crashed again (I'm on Xbox), but have now reached adult stage and chomping alligators and Mako sharks for breakfast.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 24 May 2020 19:51:50 8,686 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I think I'm in the final region in Maneater now. It was fun for a while, but is definitely getting a bit thin now. Doesn't help that I hit the level cap quite a while ago and have maxed all the abilities I want to use. I was being pretty thorough on side-objectives early on, but it feels like there's no point now.

I'll probably finish it off tomorrow - one more session should do it. It's a fun B-game, but feels overpriced. I got it with a £10 discount on the EGS sale, which takes some of the sting out.

No crashes so far on PC, but certain lighting effects (for instance when you eat an albino creature) cause the framerate to briefly plummet to single digit levels on a 9900K/2080Ti combo.
  • TechnoHippy 24 May 2020 20:09:53 17,299 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I did start by trying to get all the side missions, but I think I'll try and just progress the story so it doesn't get old before I've finished. I'm really hoping for a patch soon, so I can play it for a decent session.
  • Rum_Monkey 24 May 2020 23:42:06 804 posts
    Seen 57 seconds ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    Pokemon Sword.

Yeah that's really not for me.
  • Zippity-zap 25 May 2020 06:12:08 537 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Rum_Monkey wrote:
    Pokemon Sword.

Thatís because Pokťmon are aberrations that must be destroyed.
  • Darth_Flibble 25 May 2020 07:52:13 4,240 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Risen 3 (psnow)

I want to like it but the combat is just really poor, on the island with the vodoo tribe and the game just throws lots of spiders etc that are hit sponges that you have to chip away at. I know riposte skill helps a lot but its lot of glory points you need to get to it. The devs had the chance to fix the game on ps4 but these smaller rpg devs don't seem to understand what is wrong with their games
  • AddyB- 25 May 2020 08:18:51 701 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    @Rogueywon

I keep looking at Maneater. I noticed its under £24 @cdkeys. Might take the plunge for that.

Or i could just get the console version on disc and get rid of it once i've had my fill.

Edited by DownwardSpiral at 08:20:21 25-05-2020
  • TechnoHippy 25 May 2020 09:47:57 17,299 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    On console it appears to be quite unstable. Apparently on PS4 there's a crash that deletes your save, so it might be worth waiting for some stability fixes.
  • AddyB- 25 May 2020 10:11:47 701 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    Well i guess i can wait and the price wont go up. The epic sale is on until June 11th so will keep an eye out.
  • TechnoHippy 25 May 2020 11:07:44 17,299 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Anecdotally it isn't as unstable on PC from what I hear.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 25 May 2020 12:25:01 8,686 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @TechnoHippy Just finished it on PC. Not a single crash. Will post thoughts in the Recently Completed thread in a few minutes.
  • Dave_McCoy 25 May 2020 12:32:03 3,271 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Rum_Monkey wrote:
    Pokemon Sword.

I was oddly excited to play my first Pokemon since the original Blue in Shield but for some reason, it just never clicked. Abandoned after about 12 hours. I may go back to it but feel so 'meh' about it all.
  • Paulanator 25 May 2020 13:01:31 618 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Another vote for RDR2.

Game is an unparalleled technical accomplishment with a dizzying attention to detail but I just don't seem to be enjoying playing it and find myself quitting after half an hour to an hour.

Like many others have said the controls and 'feel' of the character are a near constant bugbear and there seems to be a different button needed for every action you perform. Still don't really understand why R* insist upon the whole 'rapidly tap X' to sprint thing either. Finished Days Gone before starting this and it was a joy to play in comparison.

I also really dislike the way the game dictates at times when you can run, when you can draw your weapon and even when/who you can shoot. Those things should largely be my choice in a game like this.

Have started playing Prey instead (very impressed so far) and hopefully will return to this down the line and something will click for me because the world that R* has made is a complete masterclass.
  • Rum_Monkey 25 May 2020 13:44:13 804 posts
    Seen 57 seconds ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    Dave_McCoy wrote:
    Rum_Monkey wrote:
    Pokemon Sword.

I was oddly excited to play my first Pokemon since the original Blue in Shield but for some reason, it just never clicked. Abandoned after about 12 hours. I may go back to it but feel so 'meh' about it all.
    This is the first one I've played and I really don't understand the praise it gets. The only good thing is collecting them but the novelty of that quickly wears off.
  • JamboWayOh 25 May 2020 14:07:13 19,305 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Paulanator wrote:
    Another vote for RDR2.

Game is an unparalleled technical accomplishment with a dizzying attention to detail but I just don't seem to be enjoying playing it and find myself quitting after half an hour to an hour.

Like many others have said the controls and 'feel' of the character are a near constant bugbear and there seems to be a different button needed for every action you perform. Still don't really understand why R* insist upon the whole 'rapidly tap X' to sprint thing either. Finished Days Gone before starting this and it was a joy to play in comparison.

I also really dislike the way the game dictates at times when you can run, when you can draw your weapon and even when/who you can shoot. Those things should largely be my choice in a game like this.

Have started playing Prey instead (very impressed so far) and hopefully will return to this down the line and something will click for me because the world that R* has made is a complete masterclass.
    I thought Days Gone was genuinely terrible, some dated mission design (following people talking while hiding), loading EVERYWHERE, terrible ai and truly cringe lead character. Oh and it ran like shit.
  • AddyB- 25 May 2020 14:29:50 701 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    I enjoyed Days Gone. I did feel it was a few hours too long though.
  • Paulanator 25 May 2020 16:52:40 618 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @DownwardSpiral Yeah, I would agree with that. Overall was a great game though and one of only 2 games I've ever been bothered enough to get the Platinum for.
  • Darth_Flibble 25 May 2020 18:42:55 4,240 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Also liked days gone and I agree its a few hours a bit too long. The main character was not great but not as bad some say
  • dsmx 25 May 2020 19:11:54 8,572 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    The issue with days gone is takes a long time to get going, once it does it is a good game but you can't take what feels like 5-10 hours to get going.
  • JamboWayOh 25 May 2020 19:31:52 19,305 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Some of the writing was straight up embarrassing also fuck games that have regular 15gb patches like this game, I swear it seemed to have a 15gb patch almost every other day.
  • AddyB- 25 May 2020 19:33:31 701 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    Days gone waiting for patch install.
  • JamboWayOh 25 May 2020 20:14:07 19,305 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah but he was sad about his wife, which made him grumpy and angry on the outside but also secretly full of love on the inside. Classic dead woman in the fridge writing.

Edited by JamboWayOh at 20:14:43 25-05-2020

Edited by JamboWayOh at 20:34:01 25-05-2020

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.