Recently-abandoned games Page 295

  • Your-Mother 25 May 2020 20:21:06 4,294 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Days Gone had its moments but yeah, it was pretty much textbook cliche and trope in both story and gameplay.

    Crafting! Caches! Stunt jumps! Zombies! Dead (kind of) wife!
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 25 May 2020 23:11:00 8,695 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Alissicia 0.5/10, smelled like a dead cat that had been festering in the sun next to an abandoned cart full of rotting mackerel for three days.
  • Saul_Iscariot 25 May 2020 23:33:26 3,716 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Nearly came close with Colour Splash. I reached a section where I could not progress in any way, unless I completed a stage to unlock an item. In the end I had to use the camera on my phone to do it as I found it too hard.
  • Saul_Iscariot 25 May 2020 23:33:27 3,716 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Nearly came close with Colour Splash. I reached a section where I could not progress in any way, unless I completed a stage to unlock an item. In the end I had to use the camera on my phone to do it as I found it too hard.
  • spookyxelectric 29 May 2020 18:12:29 37 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I bought Nioh 2 and holy hell I hate it.

    I know I'm trash at it, but man. The game actually makes me legitimately angry. Like my chest hurts when I die the 90th time on the same yokai.

    I got to the horse boss of the first stage died maybe 3 or 4 times then just noped out of it and turned it off. But that's because I died a ton on the yokais leading up to it that I just didn't wanna do that shit again.

    Man. I'm sipping tea to try to calm down.

    I remember the first Nioh being hard, but it felt like the difficulty gradually ramped up.

    Anyway. Just needed to vent huehuehueh. Wonder if I can get a refund. It's only been two days.
  • Rodimus-Prime 29 May 2020 21:04:18 375 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Mass Effect: Andromeda.

    I've been watching a lot of YouTube videos about space, so really wanted to play something set out there. Originally I thought, the original trilogy... but with a potential remaster this financial year I didn't want to burn myself out.

    So Andromeda it was. And the first two hours I was really having fun. The dialogue is fairly atrocious, but the codex is well written with some interesting ideas (though the worse for not having Crackdown Narrator read it as in the first three games), and the opening bits on the Nexus are quite enjoyable.

    But then I got to Eos, and the actual gameplay started, and it's just so tedious. I really wanted to like it this time (I played it when it first came out) but I just can't bear the thought of another 35 hours of... this.

    I think I'll crack on with Blacksad instead.
  • challenge_hanukkah 29 May 2020 21:08:10 12,739 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Rodimus-Prime wrote:
    Mass Effect: Andromeda.

    I've been watching a lot of YouTube videos about space, so really wanted to play something set out there. Originally I thought, the original trilogy... but with a potential remaster this financial year I didn't want to burn myself out.

    So Andromeda it was. And the first two hours I was really having fun. The dialogue is fairly atrocious, but the codex is well written with some interesting ideas (though the worse for not having Crackdown Narrator read it as in the first three games), and the opening bits on the Nexus are quite enjoyable.

    But then I got to Eos, and the actual gameplay started, and it's just so tedious. I really wanted to like it this time (I played it when it first came out) but I just can't bear the thought of another 35 hours of... this.

    I think I'll crack on with Blacksad instead.
    Would you say it's better or worse than The Witcher 3?
  • Rodimus-Prime 29 May 2020 21:19:25 375 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Quite a lot worse.

    I kind of feel that BioWare were pressured into adding features and mechanics from other popular franchises this gen. With Andromeda and Inquisition, it had to be open world - because Skyrim. It had to have all sorts of dull activities around the map - because Assassin's Creed.

    It's like they wanted to make a Frankenstein-like super game out of the parts of others... but sadly ended up with a sort of homunculus.
  • DFawkes Friendliest Forumite, 2016 29 May 2020 23:07:06 32,463 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    That's what I'm playing at the moment too. Not abandoning it as I'm now far enough in that it finally feels like it's going somewhere, but I have to admit once I had done Eos I didn't play single-player for months. I'm really enjoying it now but I can definitely understand not getting on with it at all.
  • DUFFMAN5 29 May 2020 23:15:30 25,868 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Ass Cred: Oyssey. Not so much abandoning as "parking" for a bit...a long bit. Around 125 hours in and although I have completed main campaign, I still have a good chunk of the dlc and over 50 active quests, tens of ? across the entire map etc.

    I keep saying it, but again it is too bloody large. I say that as very much a fan of the series.
  • Nanocrystal 29 May 2020 23:32:23 2,082 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @DUFFMAN5 Do you reckon you'll come back to it though? I parked Mad Max in a similar state for about a year but when I went back to it recently I could tell within 2 minutes it wasn't going to happen. Couldn't remember any of the controls at all, and it just felt plain weird to jump into a game in that state.
  • Bichii 29 May 2020 23:34:07 3,092 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    50 active side quests is all I need to read to know I'd hate the game.
  • DUFFMAN5 30 May 2020 09:33:42 25,868 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Nanocrystal wrote:
    @DUFFMAN5 Do you reckon you'll come back to it though? I parked Mad Max in a similar state for about a year but when I went back to it recently I could tell within 2 minutes it wasn't going to happen. Couldn't remember any of the controls at all, and it just felt plain weird to jump into a game in that state.
    Morning
    I would think so. I did actually leave it for around 6-8 months before starting playing it again in late March. As I have said many (many) times I am a fan of AC and "Ubistyle" games, so more than happy doing various things to break up the game but this is just a step to far.

    I understand revan saying that the comment I made about still having 50 live missions to do, is enough to put her off. To clarify a lot of those missions are filler (deliveries, kill x ect) but some are chained and have you going everywhere. But even with that I have several main dlc ones to do. I could go on this morning find the notice boards in any given Town and activate another 10-20 in minutes.

    It is somewhat overwhelming and disheartening to arrive on an Island that you have visited 20-30 times during your playthrough to Dock there once again and have another 5-10 question marks appear, for you to investigate.

    With all that I am totally looking forward to Valhalla and will once again purchase the "Gold" edition of that on day 1.
  • DrStrangelove 30 May 2020 18:37:08 15,154 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Rodimus-Prime wrote:

    I kind of feel that BioWare were pressured into adding features and mechanics from other popular franchises this gen.
    I don't disagree with that, but remember how last gen ME2+3 went all Gears - because EA said so, I suspect.

    Edited by DrStrangelove at 18:38:43 30-05-2020
  • DrStrangelove 30 May 2020 20:04:36 15,154 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    However I've also abandoned ME:A again. It's got merits but I just never feel like I have to get back to it again. I've finished Witcher 3 with both DLCs but never went beyond midway through ME:A, just to be clear.

    Edited by DrStrangelove at 20:06:36 30-05-2020
  • Derblington 30 May 2020 20:14:16 33,149 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    It could just be that Biowae felt that they should add some things to make their games more appealing, and made them less appealing to you as a result. Itís unfortunate but it happens.
  • ozthegweat 30 May 2020 20:16:40 2,500 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Rodimus-Prime wrote:
    Originally I thought, the original trilogy... but with a potential remaster this financial year I didn't want to burn myself out.
    Wait what? Are there rumours about a trilogy remaster?
  • JamboWayOh 30 May 2020 20:47:34 19,356 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    ozthegweat wrote:
    Rodimus-Prime wrote:
    Originally I thought, the original trilogy... but with a potential remaster this financial year I didn't want to burn myself out.
    Wait what? Are there rumours about a trilogy remaster?
    Yes, EA mentioned in an earnings call about a remaster of an important franchise recently.
  • ozthegweat 30 May 2020 21:11:36 2,500 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @JamboWayOh My avatar is very excited.

    Hopefully a 4K HDR 60fps next/cross-gen thing. And I wouldn't mind if multiplayer would make a (re)appearance, with my old profile still intact...
  • DrStrangelove 30 May 2020 21:17:07 15,154 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I still can't imagine how that's going to happen. Obstacle 1 is that ME1 felt clunky even in 2007 and there's just no way to release a remaster today that feels like that. They'd have to thoroughly reprogram a lot of it and I find that unlikely.

    The second, even more pressing, concern is the engine issue. ME1-3 were using UE3, but EA made their devs switch to Frostbite years ago. Moving ME1-3 to Frostbite would mean rewriting three whole games from scratch, definitely not going to happen. Remastering and re-releasing them in UE would mean having their devs moving back to UE and paying fees to Epic again, which I also can't imagine happening.

    I'll be glad to be proven wrong, but honestly I just can't see this happening.
  • JamboWayOh 30 May 2020 21:21:36 19,356 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah, it does sound like an issue but then again EA released Jedi Fallen Order and that was UE4. I guess we'll see, maybe it could be used as a way to reintroduce the franchise after Andromeda.
  • Derblington 30 May 2020 21:29:12 33,149 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Apex is on Source and Fallen Order is Unreal.
  • ozthegweat 30 May 2020 21:44:53 2,500 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You guys and gals with your rational arguments and reasonings... a remaster exists because EA allows it and releases because we demand it.
  • DrStrangelove 30 May 2020 22:27:17 15,154 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    ozthegweat wrote:
    a remaster exists because EA allows it and releases because we demand it.
    I see what you did there. And I hope you're right.
  • Rodimus-Prime 30 May 2020 23:38:42 375 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I actually played a little bit more today. I did the side quest where you're investigating Andromeda's first murder and followed the evidence to a cave.

    When I found what I was after and turned around to leave, I was a little blown by away how amazing Eos looked through the cave opening.

    I feel like there is a wall that if I can smash through, I'll probably get really into it. It still pales in comparison to the first three games, but we'll see.

    The reason I think a lot was forced on BioWare is that the game seemed to abandon a lot of the principles that have historically defined BioWare games. Like compelling side quests with multiple resolutions and consequences.

    This gen, we at least had the Witcher... but Spiders really stepped up with Greedfall and the Technomancer as well.
  • JamboWayOh 30 May 2020 23:43:27 19,356 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I don't know about that, the fact remains that Bioware has been Bioware in name only, all the original talent has left and their practice of crunching till they find the 'Bioware Magic' hasn't worked on two titles now. It's easy to say they were pressured by EA to deliver certain features but the reality is they've been shown up by other, more capable studios.
  • Mola_Ram 31 May 2020 07:00:47 23,707 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Like with many RPGs, I thought Dragon Age Inquisition was basically fine until Witcher 3 came and shat all over it.

    Edited by Mola_Ram at 07:01:38 31-05-2020
Log in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.