Recently-abandoned games Page 296

• ozthegweat 31 May 2020 07:55:54 2,536 posts
    Seen 39 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    DrStrangelove wrote:
    ozthegweat wrote:
    a remaster exists because EA allows it and releases because we demand it.
    I see what you did there. And I hope you're right.
    Yay, at least someone got it!
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 31 May 2020 08:50:01 8,991 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    Like with many RPGs, I thought Dragon Age Inquisition was basically fine until Witcher 3 came and shat all over it.
    Yes, exactly the same here. I put around 90 hours or so into DA:I and didn't begrudge my time with it. But after Witcher 3, I cannot imagine myself playing through another game like it.

I noped out of Andromeda at around the 6 hour mark. Didn't help that not only was the gameplay dull, but the writing was also cringe-inducing.
  • challenge_hanukkah 31 May 2020 08:52:20 12,840 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The Witcher 3 really did fuck up other RPGs for me. It was head and shoulders above. It's probably why I won't play the next thing Bethesda shits out.
  • Mola_Ram 31 May 2020 10:14:05 23,982 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I feel a bit bad for other developers, in that they probably don't have the resources to make something that's both huge *and* rich in the same way that CDPR did with Witcher 3. Hell, if you believe the stories even CDPR almost killed its development team making the thing.

But for me it shows the difference that good writing makes, to make things that don't waste the player's time in the name of more "content". And that your game can be smaller in scope and still absolutely nail it in the writing department (see: Disco Elysium).
  • Derblington 31 May 2020 10:19:28 33,414 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    The advantage of CDPR, and Rockstar, and to a lesser extent Naughty Dog and other 1st Parties, is their ability to delay release.
    There’s huge talent in the studios, absolutely, but there’s talent in a lot of places. Once a schedule is committed it’s very hard and very costly to adjust it, especially by the timelines that the afore mentioned studios do so.
  • Rodimus-Prime 31 May 2020 10:41:32 384 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Do you think there will ever be a Risen 4? Risen 2, to me, is the absolute pinnacle of this kind of game.

I loved The Witcher III, but you were always playing as Geralt and whatever decisions you were able to make seemed to fit in with his character.

I like games where you have a bit more of a blank slate, which is why Mass Effect and Dragon Age appeal to me so much.

I was under the impression that EA forced BioWare to adopt Froatbite, but apparently that's not the case and it was their decision to use it so they could adopt an open world, so I guess you guys are right about EA not forcing these aspects on them.

Its just hard for my tiny mind to comprehend why they'd change such a winning formula of their own accord. I'd take a game with the same design ethos of Dragon Age II over anything I've played this gen.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 31 May 2020 10:46:22 8,991 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Rodimus-Prime I think DA:I was an (over)reaction to the criticism of DA2. If I remember, the Jason Schrier book, Blood Sweat and Pixels has a whole chapter on it.

I'm actually up for more games now that have you playing as a set character, rather than creating a blank slate. The problem with blank slate characters is that they mostly end up a bit bland, particularly if the game ties rewards heavily to taking certain good/evil paths (usually the good ones).

That said, there's nothing worse than being forced to play as a particular set protagonist who's loathesome, particularly if it's not the fun kind of loathesome.
  • Samildanach 31 May 2020 16:20:59 345 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    On the subject of The Witcher III ruining many other rpgs, am I therefore better off playing Final Fantasy XV before I start the Witcher, or do you think they are different enough for the Witcher not to highlight FFXV's failings?
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 31 May 2020 16:24:16 8,991 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Samildanach They're pretty different. Though Witcher 3 still does sidequests way better than FF15 does.

But it's not like DA:I, which is close enough to Witcher 3 in genre and presentational terms that the comparison is thrust right into your face.
  • Samildanach 31 May 2020 16:58:16 345 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    @Rogueywon
    OK thanks. Though to be fair, I found the massive side areas in DAI to be a bit of a slog anyway, despite having not yet played the Witcher 3.

Edited by Samildanach at 16:58:51 31-05-2020
  • Darth_Flibble 3 Jun 2020 19:21:28 4,311 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Red Faction: Guerrilla ps4 port

Tried it on ps now and the game is not fun to replay now. clunky controls and don't think you can use L2 to aim down sights. Clicking the stick feels wrong now. Missions are dull as fuck and, while some effort has been put into the graphics to remaster them, its not that great
  • SteveHolt 4 Jun 2020 07:09:48 465 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    My only real problem with all the Witcher 3 love is that it has basically killed the Witcher 2's legacy.

Assassin of Kings did a lot of things right in terms of world design, writing and player choice -I'm not just talking about the second act, BTW -, it's basically all you want from a western RPG (the combat isn't great, though, and that dragon boss at the beginning is a problem, I'll give you that).

The witcher 3 is a great "bethesda killer" if that's what you want, but all the franchise's underlying RPG mechanics, from branching quests to the difficulty curve, have been compromised if you compare it to the Witcher 2 instead.
  • DUFFMAN5 4 Jun 2020 10:04:59 26,034 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Rodimus-Prime wrote:
    Do you think there will ever be a Risen 4? Risen 2, to me, is the absolute pinnacle of this kind of game.

I loved The Witcher III, but you were always playing as Geralt and whatever decisions you were able to make seemed to fit in with his character.

I like games where you have a bit more of a blank slate, which is why Mass Effect and Dragon Age appeal to me so much.

I was under the impression that EA forced BioWare to adopt Froatbite, but apparently that's not the case and it was their decision to use it so they could adopt an open world, so I guess you guys are right about EA not forcing these aspects on them.

Its just hard for my tiny mind to comprehend why they'd change such a winning formula of their own accord. I'd take a game with the same design ethos of Dragon Age II over anything I've played this gen.
    Morning
    I assume you have played:
    Two Worlds (my fav of this genre)
    TW II including the FF expansion
    Arcadia/Gothic
    Greedfall (I have yet to play, but fully intend to)
    Divinty series. I'm currently playing Ego Draconis/Flames of Vengeance on xb1 via backwards compatibility. This is right alongside TW as my fav of the warpg's
  • Rhaegyr 4 Jun 2020 10:10:38 5,176 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    SteveHolt wrote:
    My only real problem with all the Witcher 3 love is that it has basically killed the Witcher 2's legacy.

Assassin of Kings did a lot of things right in terms of world design, writing and player choice -I'm not just talking about the second act, BTW -, it's basically all you want from a western RPG (the combat isn't great, though, and that dragon boss at the beginning is a problem, I'll give you that).

The witcher 3 is a great "bethesda killer" if that's what you want, but all the franchise's underlying RPG mechanics, from branching quests to the difficulty curve, have been compromised if you compare it to the Witcher 2 instead.
    Great post - Witcher 2 was indeed stunning and seems to be forgotten about now. I think I actually prefer the tighter focus and smaller, more populated areas.
  • Bichii 4 Jun 2020 10:15:36 3,164 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    True. I adore both 2 and 3..I'm not sure which one I prefer, maybe 3 as it's just so epic but 2 had that tighter focus on story and choice.
  • Darth_Flibble 21 Jun 2020 10:52:40 4,311 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Final Fantasy X (ps4)

Never played it on ps2 and always wanted to play it. Sadly looking back its where the franchise went wrong. Very linear game design and more effort focused on graphics. (FF13 had all the same problems) It still looks good due to the remaster.

Some of the bosses are cheap as fuck, the one I'm stuck on now does respawning anti-magic orbs (that can only attacked by one character) and does cheap main attacks. Also it make it worse, if you don't get the skill you need on the one character that has it you have to grind move points on the sphere grid (even if you have unlocked certain points) The characters are really shit. Also fuck blitzball

Hopefully FFX-2 is better
  • Malek86 21 Jun 2020 11:03:07 10,158 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    FFX-2 had a completely different battle system iirc. It was closer to regular ATB with a semi-standard job system.

But I really didn't like the story, and the battles can get pretty hard at times.

Edited by Malek86 at 11:03:53 21-06-2020
  • Darth_Flibble 21 Jun 2020 11:32:41 4,311 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Malek86

I will give it a go, the pop music opening is certainly more fun than the ffx druge fest but if the gets too hard will get sold/traded for FF7 remake (the demo was really good)
  • MrFlay 21 Jun 2020 12:12:25 4,505 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Metro Exodus

I tried to enjoy this but it makes it so hard. It looks lovely but the gunplay is second rate and the feedback you get while in combat is woeful. The game seems designed to irritate players as much as possible. Mutants respawn in about 10 minutes and unlike the respawning humans they don't drop resources so they are basically an ammo sink. Gas mask filters use up more materials than ammo or medkits. The AI in combat is braindead. Halo had better AI 20 years ago. It's like they spend 90% of their budget on the visuals. I suppose they made the right decision looking at the reviews.
  • Rogueywon Most Generous Forumite, 2016 21 Jun 2020 12:26:25 8,991 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Darth_Flibble Oh wow, you bounced off that hard. FFX has always been marmite. I fell into the "love it" camp, but I can see why others might swing the other way. It was the most linear game in the series until the release of FF13 and the combat difficulty is mostly very low, bar a few big difficulty-spike bosses. In its defence, it has one of the most thematically coherent stories of any of the FF games (everything in it is about death in one way or another), some decent character arcs and a mostly-great soundtrack.

FFX-2 is a totally different beast. I'm not sure whether any of its plot-beats will land if you didn't finish FFX, though X-2 is a story-light game anyway. Its battle system is at the faster-paced end of the ATB spectrum and combat difficulty is generally high. I'm afraid you're going to need a good bit of grinding to take some of the bosses. That said, once you have the Dark Knight job sphere, two of those and a White Mage can beat most of the game's fights.

I did a 100%-completion run of its PS4 re-release and there is some pretty great stuff in there among the optional side-content, but it really, really makes you work for it.
  • Darth_Flibble 21 Jun 2020 13:24:22 4,311 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Rogueywon

thanks for the info, looks like ffx remasters will be going on the trade pile!. I would continue ffx if it was just a matter unlocking a new ability but have to move across the grid wasting built up points just to find this skill to slow this machine.
  • andytheadequate 22 Jun 2020 14:18:24 9,211 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Tomb Raider (2013)
    Dull gameplay, cringe worthy story telling and awful quick time events that seem to be everywhere. The game looks really nice but it's just one long corridor with tacked on faux-RPG elements. This sort of crap felt dated in 2007 so I've no idea why this was relatively well reviewed at the time.

I'd developed a bit of a hatred towards third person action games due to shit like this, but recently I've enjoyed playing a few so thought I'd give this a go. Assassins Creed Origins was brilliant, but it is a bit newer so perhaps not a fair comparison. However, I've also played Mass Effect 3, Dark Souls and Portal 2 recently and they don't feel dated at all. All of these games rely on good game design and fun mechanics to make the game interesting, rather than pretending to be a film. Luckily most modern games in the genre seem to be going away from the "cinematic" crap.

Edited by andytheadequate at 14:24:57 22-06-2020
  • vDoll 10 Jul 2020 01:58:31 2,379 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Mad Max.

I was so enthusiastic about this when I fired it up and, to begin with, it was ticking all the boxes.
    But it's so repetitive in its grind. I reached a point where I have to do a bunch of shitty, same old side content to clear the map. To get the upgrades I need to make that easier, I need to go back and do a bunch of shitty side content in another part of the map. This kind of gating the main narrative makes my head hurt.

So I don't think I'll bother.
  • Hicksy 15 Jul 2020 20:33:57 2,631 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    On the verge of abandoning Life Is Strange 2 on PS4 some way into episode 2.

Liked LIS a lot but just not enjoying the LIS2 story like I did the first and find the brothers and their interactions less interesting than the wider ensemble feel of the LIS cast. TBH finding it quite boring so far. Also not so keen of the “on the road settings” as it feels more disjointed. Plus little bro is mostly very annoying!

Will try to hang in there and chip away it it some more between better games/10

Edited by Hicksy at 20:34:51 15-07-2020
  • DUFFMAN5 15 Jul 2020 20:51:23 26,034 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Hicksy
    Pretty much my thoughts. I bailed on episode 2.
  • Vortex808 15 Jul 2020 21:06:44 13,856 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It builds peeps! Honest.

Ep 3-4 were good. And the last one...

Anyhoo, i liked the brothers, even though young 'un became a bit of a dick for a bit.

I did prefer the characters from the first one though.
  • Globalmeltdown 15 Jul 2020 22:19:02 808 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Post deleted
  • SnowmanRR 16 Jul 2020 07:25:47 193 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Globalmeltdown What, the dog dies??? 😢
  • Tomo 16 Jul 2020 09:55:58 17,805 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Err spoilers Jesus...

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.