Recently-abandoned games Page 298

• jonathanlealand 22 Aug 2020 17:36:25 104 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Axiom Verge (Switch)

Itís.... alright innit? I feel like the explosion in quality indie Metroidvanias in recent years have really raised the bar and rather overshadowed this one. The high point here are the toys you get to play with; the glitch gun in particular is a lot of fun. But it just lacks something and never manages to emerge from the shadow of its obvious inspiration in Super Metroid.
  • Malek86 22 Aug 2020 17:38:38 11,181 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I abandoned Axiom Verge too, a few hours in. It wasn't bad, but after you open up the whole map, the lack of fast travel was simply too much to bear.
  • PazJohnMitch 22 Aug 2020 17:40:56 16,303 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I got very close to the end of it a few weeks ago and have not touched it since. (Completed 5 other games since then).
  • jonathanlealand 22 Aug 2020 23:00:38 104 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Yeah the lack of fast travel made getting around a real chore. Especially when the world itself just isnít that interesting to take in.

I really want to like it but reckon part of the reason I want to like it is just because of admiration for Tom Happ and his achievement of building it entirely solo.
  • drhickman1983 23 Aug 2020 10:49:20 7,215 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Been trying a few games on the PC Game Pass, ended up abandoning more than a few.

No Man's Sky - Just not that into the basic gameplay loop, though the game seems like it's in a good place now if you're into that sort of thing.

MudRunner - Kind of enjoyed it, but after shutting it down I felt no real urge to go back

Lonely Mountains: Downhill - I really wanted to like this I love the art style and general feel of the game, but the camera angle annoyed me. Not being able to see very far ahead irks me, but more offputting is clipping rocks because you can't see the edge facing away from the camera, or when making jumps without being able to gauge the angle properly irks me.

Descenders - I wanted to like this too but it just bored me a bit (guess I'll have to wait for an MTB game I actually like.
  • uiruki 23 Aug 2020 19:02:59 5,482 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I think I've given up on Sakura Wars, PS4. It just feels so half-arsed, like there was someone important in the production who just didn't give a shit and it just permeates the entire game.
  • Deleted user 23 August 2020 19:31:38
    Mortal Shell.

Weird one this. I actually really enjoy it but i really just dont have the time for soulsborne games anymore. I am the now the definition of a casual gamer despite buying a silly amount of games.
  • jonathanlealand 24 Aug 2020 00:20:46 104 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Hellblade (PS4)

This game seems really one-dimensional. Walk around matching symbols, fight same-ish enemy, walk around matching symbols....

I bought it on the strength of the EG Ďessentialí but just not feeling it. I do like the atmosphere, particularly when using decent headphones, but thereís just not enough actual game here to hold my interest.
  • Malek86 24 Aug 2020 06:17:38 11,181 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Hellblade does some impressive stuff later on, though the gameplay generally remains like that. I liked it, but the combat and the symbol matching bits were kinda annoying.
  • TechnoHippy 24 Aug 2020 08:08:51 18,009 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I abandoned Hellblade for similar reasons. The concept was nice, with some good story, but the gameplay just didn't work for me.
  • jonathanlealand 24 Aug 2020 08:34:36 104 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Malek86 wrote:
    Hellblade does some impressive stuff later on, though the gameplay generally remains like that. I liked it, but the combat and the symbol matching bits were kinda annoying.
    Oh yeah, what sort of impressive stuff?
  • FoxMoody 24 Aug 2020 08:34:49 131 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    X-Com 2.
    Was fun they I understood it's all the same with sparkles of new.
    Decided to spend my time on better and more fun games.
  • PazJohnMitch 24 Aug 2020 09:06:14 16,303 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    You have missed out there.

I finished XCom2 a couple of weeks ago and consider it one of the best games of the generation. (And that is despite the very long loading times).

Although functionally similar to the original there are a lot of advancements and I found it much more varied and interesting than the first.
  • docrob 24 Aug 2020 09:06:49 1,671 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I was enjoying Hellblade, but I got stuck on a bit when I kept on falling off something I had to balance on (like, 30 times) and dying. Others have told me they didnít even realise falling off was possible, so I have no idea what the issue was. Must try it again sometime.
  • Rogueywon 24 Aug 2020 09:08:36 10,023 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    uiruki wrote:
    I think I've given up on Sakura Wars, PS4. It just feels so half-arsed, like there was someone important in the production who just didn't give a shit and it just permeates the entire game.
    That's a pity, though each to their own. I mostly liked Sakura Wars and the visual novel bits felt like a genuine labour of love. The musou-battle bits were admittedly ropey, though, and I wish they'd stuck with the turn-based battles from earlier games.
  • Tomo 24 Aug 2020 12:09:55 18,450 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Hellblade was more about the journey than the combat. It's pretty easy to hack your way through, but I get why it's tedious for some. Tbh, they should've just had less combat so it was less repetitive when you did some actual fighting. It was a pretty small budget game though, so they probably didn't have the resources to make something much deeper.

I imagine the sequel will completely overhaul that side of things though.
  • DFawkes 24 Aug 2020 13:11:41 32,678 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I really didn't enjoy the combat myself. I know it would break the game for other people but I'd have personally preferred an option to play it as a pure walking simulator. I liked the puzzles, the more survival-horror style sections and exploration so I did stick with it until the end but even at the end with more combat options I just found fighting tedious. I imagine people would find my combat-free option tedious so I get why that's not an option.
  • uiruki 24 Aug 2020 16:34:41 5,482 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Rogueywon wrote:

That's a pity, though each to their own. I mostly liked Sakura Wars and the visual novel bits felt like a genuine labour of love. The musou-battle bits were admittedly ropey, though, and I wish they'd stuck with the turn-based battles from earlier games.
    I got to the end of chapter 3 and the whole thing just felt so cheap, like they'd put the money into the wrong areas. There is so much unvoiced dialogue, I really think they botched the production of vocals in the main theme, the combat is just poor (if falling does no damage, why have it in at all?) but the last straw was there being a story tournament presented in a 3v3 format, while all the other groups only have two characters each. That just felt really amateurish and annoyed me an unreasonable amount.

I'd been finding myself actively doing other stuff rather than play it during the week but that bit just completely caught me wrong and I've had enough, in spite of there being some nice moments. I don't really have any attachment to the series (I played maybe two chapters of the first Saturn game) but the demo seemed competent enough. Definitely not a fan.

edit: for a bit more context, the new Kiseki game comes out this week. I don't understand how Falcom, a much smaller company, can make something with so much more scope while expecting fewer sales at a lower price. I know there's no famous mangaka doing the character designs but for morst of the game it's at the same level in terms of things like 'character does canned animation while saying line' while still having just as much running around in empty spaces getting people to say stuff, just with many more people in many more places.

Edited by uiruki at 16:43:07 24-08-2020
  • Malek86 24 Aug 2020 18:55:36 11,181 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    jonathanlealand wrote:
    Oh yeah, what sort of impressive stuff?
    Some later sections are outright horror-ish. While the gameplay never really changes, the game is arguably better when it puts pressure on you (even though you'll probably have to retry some sections a few times). And the atmosphere benefits as well.

I still wouldn't recommend it unless you can at least tolerate the basic gameplay loop, but it does get better later on.
  • Graxlar_v3 24 Aug 2020 19:23:49 10,654 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    uiruki wrote:
    Rogueywon wrote:

I got to the end of chapter 3 and the whole thing just felt so cheap, like they'd put the money into the wrong areas. There is so much unvoiced dialogue, I really think they botched the production of vocals in the main theme, the combat is just poor (if falling does no damage, why have it in at all?) but the last straw was there being a story tournament presented in a 3v3 format, while all the other groups only have two characters each. That just felt really amateurish and annoyed me an unreasonable amount.

I'd been finding myself actively doing other stuff rather than play it during the week but that bit just completely caught me wrong and I've had enough, in spite of there being some nice moments. I don't really have any attachment to the series (I played maybe two chapters of the first Saturn game) but the demo seemed competent enough. Definitely not a fan.

edit: for a bit more context, the new Kiseki game comes out this week. I don't understand how Falcom, a much smaller company, can make something with so much more scope while expecting fewer sales at a lower price. I know there's no famous mangaka doing the character designs but for morst of the game it's at the same level in terms of things like 'character does canned animation while saying line' while still having just as much running around in empty spaces getting people to say stuff, just with many more people in many more places.
    I fell off Sakura wars pretty early because of the unvoiced dialogue. I can understand if there were production restraints but having the character speak occasion lines in a conversation was really off putting.
  • jonathanlealand 1 Sep 2020 08:46:47 104 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Resi 3make

Started off unsure about this one but giving it the benefit of the doubt because of how much I adored Resi 2. It began well enough, with misgivings over the new dodge mechanic and other curious design decisions swiftly forgotten as I settled into the comfortable and familiar Resi gameplay.

It was all going well enough until the mid section off the game when it seems to ramp up the actions and the linear, set-piece escape sections. Suffice to say scripted Nemesis encounters arent a patch on Mr X. What really killed it for me though was the realisation that at no point was I actually scared or even experiencing much in the way of tension... and so thatís me done. Take the panic/dread/atmosphere/tension out of Resident evil games and they fail for me. Was the same with 5 and 6.

Itís a real shame as there was a lot of potential here. Resi games always seem to be so hit and miss. Some hitting glorious heights while others, for me at least, are just not even worth playing. Hereís hoping that 4 remake and 8 are the former types, not the latter.
  • TechnoHippy 1 Sep 2020 13:17:37 18,009 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Wasteland 3

It's probably a case of 'it's me', rather than the game itself - I just couldn't connect with it after several attempts. I found the movement and controls cumbersome and not fun at all.
  • Rogueywon 1 Sep 2020 13:43:25 10,023 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @TechnoHippy I'm about 7 hours in and have started liking it now, but it's certainly not a game that goes out of its way to welcome players with open arms. Movement, in particular, is really intuitive.
  • Darth_Flibble 5 Sep 2020 09:48:36 4,596 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Battletoads (recent one)

Its an awful game (even part of gamepass), as the brawling is dull, SOR$ was so much better. They throw in every type of mini game but they are awful as well and some parts go on for too long. Just got up to the spaceship bit and really don't wont to play it anymore. The "humour" is awful (I imagine the devs were taking deep smells of their farts) when making the game. Its a very short game but its an miserable chore to play
  • Cadence 5 Sep 2020 10:03:05 2,569 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Isn't it a complete mishmash of different genres too? I was surprised reading some reviews that the actual scrolling beatemup stuff is much less than you'd think.
  • Darth_Flibble 5 Sep 2020 11:13:51 4,596 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Cadence

yeah, the level i did that made me bin was crappy QTE style rail grinding then goes into "bullet hell shooter" but its mediocre
  • monsieur-Cosmo 24 Sep 2020 09:40:25 615 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Remnant: From the Ashes (PC). I suspected souls-likes were not for me, the problem is I loved almost everything about this game. But hated, HATED the combat. What a pity. If they made this as a light-stats action RPG I'd be all over it.

Edited by monsieur-Cosmo at 11:44:58 24-09-2020
  • TechnoHippy 30 Sep 2020 13:10:52 18,009 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Undermine

Which is a shame as I enjoyed playing it, but after two hours wasted trying to kill the end boss there are better ways to spend time.
  • monsieur-Cosmo 1 Oct 2020 10:43:35 615 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    GTA V (PC): Abandoned at about 20%. Was only 5 years late to start this, but since it was given for free by the Chinese government (/jk) I said why not.
    Sort of enjoyed it, but found forcing myself to continue. Don't know what's wrong perhaps I am already fed up with the formula (inner voice: "but you completed every one before that, even GTA IV!") or I did not like the 3-character story. Watched the endings on YT. Yeah, was not worth the time. EDIT: Oh, way too much swearing. I am used to it in GTA's but this was really too much. Seems they are "upping the ante" every next GTA game.

Edited by monsieur-Cosmo at 12:27:03 01-10-2020
  • Malek86 1 Oct 2020 11:09:12 11,181 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Night in the Woods (Xbox One)

Seems lovingly crafted, but the setting and characters are way too bleak. I can imagine this is what it would be like to live in rural America and I definitely never wanted to go there in the first place. I don't need this much nihilism in my life.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.