Recently-abandoned games Page 299

• TechnoHippy 3 Oct 2020 14:34:07 18,076 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Control

I really wanted to like this. The story and setting are intriguing, but the gameplay just fell flat. Unsatisfying gunplay, odd movement and harsh checkpointing just proved too frustrating for me.
  • DUFFMAN5 3 Oct 2020 17:03:08 26,339 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @TechnoHippy

Pretty much where I am. I have had for months and not played for about the same time. I may return but not likely. I'm in the same boat with God Of War. I can see it is a great game but it is not seducing me to play.
  • TechnoHippy 4 Oct 2020 09:25:40 18,076 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I gave it another try this morning, and managed a decent amount of progress. It's still clunky to play, but as I said - I'm enjoying the story.
  • dfunked09 4 Oct 2020 09:31:54 1,028 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    I'll probably be back to it, but Octopath Traveller has been benched for now.

It opens up a lot when you start discovering secondary jobs and working towards viable builds, but the story really drags on for some characters. You really need to be in the right mood for it.
  • Graxlar_v3 4 Oct 2020 16:23:02 10,673 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    dfunked09 wrote:
    I'll probably be back to it, but Octopath Traveller has been benched for now.

It opens up a lot when you start discovering secondary jobs and working towards viable builds, but the story really drags on for some characters. You really need to be in the right mood for it.
    The problem I had with it was the downtime between chapters where you have to grind out levels... it got boring fast

Edited by Graxlar_v3 at 16:23:30 04-10-2020
  • Malek86 5 Oct 2020 15:46:53 11,273 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Doom Eternal on Xbox One

I wasn't a big fan of the first game, to be honest, but I still enjoyed it while it lasted. The sequel unfortunately doubles down on everything I hated about the previous game, and adds some extra annoyances of its own. But I will at least admit that, surprisingly, I didn't mind the platforming.

For all its issues, Serious Sam 4 would be my mayhem shooter of choice for the year.

Edited by Malek86 at 15:47:57 05-10-2020
  • Rodney 6 Oct 2020 12:18:18 4,751 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Destiny 2

Fuck this game.

It was fun for 10 minutes then it drops me in some mission hub zone, with zero instructions and what seems like a million different levelling systems.

I have no idea how to play this game, and I don't think have the time to learn. Life is too short.
  • Mola_Ram 6 Oct 2020 14:15:52 24,906 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yeah, they really do not introduce Destiny 2 well at all. What are all these things I'm getting? Elements, light levels, engram... things. Oh, so an engram is a loot box? Then why didn't you just fucking call it a loot box?

To be fair though, I imagine starting, say, Diablo 3 now would be similarly hard for me if I hadn't played hundreds of hours of it already. It's probably a similar thing.

But anyway, I bounced off it quickly too, and downloaded Borderlands 3 instead. That's a game that knows how dumb it is.
  • Rodney 8 Oct 2020 00:31:10 4,751 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Yeah so much unexplained jargon.

I was also presented with a 5 minute loading screen which bombarded me with adverts for DLC which put me off to be honest..

The whole thing felt more like a second job than a game, and I don't have time for that shit.
  • DrStrangelove 8 Oct 2020 02:34:19 15,331 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah it really confused me too, and after 2 hours I still had no idea what was going on or what I was supposed to do. There's so much going on and it doesn't really explain anything. Instead of the usual health or ammo pickups it has red and green and blue boxes and it never bothers to tell you what they are. I think I figured it out but forgot again already.

I followed the recommended path but there were points all over the place where you could start (or join?) some event. It'd have been really helpful if there were any explanation whatsoever what they are. I mean, at least it could tell you if it's single player or multiplayer stuff, but no. Nothing.

Further into the recommended mission flow, it didn' help either that the checkpointing was broken. Once I went down enough, the next checkpoint told me to turn back and go back up again. After doing that, it told me to go down again where I just was before it told me to come back, and repeat ad infinitum.

It was just one of the most confusing game experiences I've had, and I didn't find it interesting enough to keep trying.
  • TechnoHippy 8 Oct 2020 07:50:25 18,076 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Rodney wrote:
    Destiny 2

Fuck this game.

It was fun for 10 minutes then it drops me in some mission hub zone, with zero instructions and what seems like a million different levelling systems.

I have no idea how to play this game, and I don't think have the time to learn. Life is too short.
    Exactly my experience. A fun intro and then overwhelmed with the hub for what I was supposed to do next.
  • Malek86 8 Oct 2020 07:52:42 11,273 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    The thing with D2 was that originally, the first half of the campaign served as a sort of tutorial for what you'd find in the world. You had explanations of public events, adventures, patrols, what the various currencies were for, etc.

But of course, they eventually removed it. And now you are only left with a bunch of hint screens that nobody can be bothered to read.

Suppose they will do some streamlining for Beyond Light, but don't expect too much.

Edited by Malek86 at 07:55:20 08-10-2020
  • Mola_Ram 8 Oct 2020 08:01:11 24,906 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I went to some place where Jorah Mormont asked me to shoot enemies, and then glowing enemies, then ambush some other things. But I don't know why I'm doing any of it, apparently I'm also supposed to do "bounties" that are just "kill x number of things with y weapon". And the reward for it all is... stuff!
  • Mola_Ram 8 Oct 2020 08:02:25 24,906 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It feels like I'm supposed to know who all these people are, but I really don't. Are they from the first game or something?
  • Armoured_Bear 8 Oct 2020 08:03:07 29,302 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    DUFFMAN5 wrote:
    @TechnoHippy

Pretty much where I am. I have had for months and not played for about the same time. I may return but not likely. I'm in the same boat with God Of War. I can see it is a great game but it is not seducing me to play.
    I gave up on God of War as well, nothing wrong with it I could put my finger on, just didnít click and I found it a bit boring (very much in the minority it seems)
  • Malek86 8 Oct 2020 08:07:32 11,273 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Some of the characters appeared in the first game, but they usually lacked personality. The focus of D1 was squarely on fleshing out the enemies instead. D2 pretty much said "oh, we know enough about the enemies by now, let's talk about the Tower people". Which imo was a mistake, because nobody cares about Zavala or Ikora really.

For all its faults, D1 made a much more convincing world where you, the player, were the last bastion of humanity against the neverending horrors just outside. You didn't need to know who your weapons vendor was, you just needed to know how bad it would have been if the challenge boss had managed to conquer the planet. And it was usually very bad.

D2 introduces a bunch of characters instead, makes the story revolve around them, and in an attempt to make them feel useful after their time to shine is done, keeps their plotlines unresolved. It's a mess and honestly I've stopped caring long ago.

Edited by Malek86 at 08:08:26 08-10-2020
  • Rodney 8 Oct 2020 10:16:21 4,751 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    I went to some place where Jorah Mormont asked me to shoot enemies, and then glowing enemies, then ambush some other things. But I don't know why I'm doing any of it, apparently I'm also supposed to do "bounties" that are just "kill x number of things with y weapon". And the reward for it all is... stuff!
    Yeah, this is how I felt.

It's a bit like in Borderlands when you get over powered and you've still got loads of incomplete side quests spread out all over the world, except Destiny 2 seems to start like that before it even bothers to bait you with its OCD hooks.
  • Britesparc 8 Oct 2020 11:05:10 2,181 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I don't know if it counts as "abandoned" but I've shelved a lot of games recently because I just think they'll run a lot better on my Series X. Fallen Order, RDR2, Doom... sometimes it's just as simple as wanting it load quicker!
  • DUFFMAN5 10 Oct 2020 02:38:49 26,339 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Recent games that can do one:

Doom eternal.
    Poxy platforming bits over a lake of fire (very early on) were enough for me. I'm just not doing this shite anymore!

NFS Payback.
    Just really shit, shit characters, shit story and even more unforgiving shit driving.

The only positive for both games is they were "free" with subscriptions.
  • Malek86 10 Oct 2020 09:11:32 11,273 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Doom Eternal already runs well enough on X1, and the load times aren't too bad either, no need to wait for the XS.

It's still super boring though.

Edited by Malek86 at 09:11:56 10-10-2020
  • Bichii 10 Oct 2020 09:21:29 3,856 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Doom and boring are definitely not the words I'd ever think I'd see. Sure it has added some jank it didn't need but it's still a better and more exhilarating fps then 99% of other games.
  • Darth_Flibble 10 Oct 2020 10:23:34 4,629 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    the story and wall climbing in Doom Eternal slow it down a bit but its not boring at all
  • JamboWayOh 10 Oct 2020 10:25:26 21,665 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I guess I'm an oddball as I really liked the platforming and especially liked using things like the monkey bars in combat. I fucking love this game, double dash 4LYFE!!!

Edited by JamboWayOh at 10:25:49 10-10-2020
  • Blackmarsh63 10 Oct 2020 17:26:11 3,900 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
  • CitizenGeek 24 Oct 2020 09:11:18 3,488 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Kingdom Hearts III
    I loved the first two games... but I was a teenager when I played them. I think I've just outgrown KH, which is a little bit depressing. I played for about 10 hours and it was a slog basically, with no real redeeming qualities.

Night in the Woods
    I know it's universally acclaimed and, from the time I did play, I can see why, but ultimately I felt I had to almost force myself to play it and I'd end up leaving huge gaps of time between play sessions. The characters are interesting but the game itself can be very, very tedious and repetitive. In the end, I have just forgotten the story (I'd guess I'm over halfway through) and I can't really see myself starting the game all over again just to finish it.
  • Rogueywon 24 Oct 2020 09:37:12 10,178 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @CitizenGeek KH3 isn't bad as such, but it was a hell of a disappointment to me. KH2 was, I'd argue, the best game on the PS2. KH3 has its moments, but is more a 7/10 kind of game.

Its biggest problem is around pace - it throws way too many cutscenes at the player in big chunks. There are multiple sequences of cutscenes that are either unbroken or broken only by tiny fights that span more than an hour and one that tips the two hour point.

Plus the story's bogged down under the weight of the franchise's accumulated lore. I didn't actually give much of a shit about the various Organisation XIII types, but the game spends hours depicting their side-stories.

The Disney worlds are also not as good as I'd hoped. With the exception of the Carribbean, most of them feel like they're over before they've really started (Toy Story, in particular, doesn't end so much as just... stop). I actually spent most of the game thinking there'd be a second loop around them, as there was in KH2, but... nope. Plus the choice of franchises tilts way too heavily towards the very recent ones. I'd have liked a bit more of a mix of classics and new stuff, like the earlier games had, but it's hard not to feel the heavy hand of Disney's marketing department at work.
  • Darth_Flibble 24 Oct 2020 10:37:39 4,629 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Golf with friends (gamepass)
    Its a really naff crazy golf game

The touryst (gamepass)
    At first I liked it as it was quite relaxing but get further in and the shit jumping controls because the people are blocks make platforming painful

Destroy all humans (remake)
    free this weekend to play, although they updated the graphics the gameplay is still the old ps2 type game. One mission is defend radio towers on foot against waves of enemies but no effort has been made to fine tune the gameplay. Why bother remaking a game if you don't bother to improve on a game. The stealth is buggy and broken at times
  • TechnoHippy 25 Oct 2020 14:37:22 18,076 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Darth_Flibble wrote:

Destroy all humans (remake)
    free this weekend to play, although they updated the graphics the gameplay is still the old ps2 type game. One mission is defend radio towers on foot against waves of enemies but no effort has been made to fine tune the gameplay. Why bother remaking a game if you don't bother to improve on a game. The stealth is buggy and broken at times
    Just abandoned this as well. Wish is a shame as I was quite enjoying it - right up until the final boss which turns out to be ridiculously hard compared to the rest of the game.
  • Darth_Flibble 25 Oct 2020 15:26:30 4,629 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @TechnoHippy

I went back as found a way to glitch the AI so they bottle neck on that mission I was stuck on yesterday. The game has terrible difficulty spikes like that mission and last 2 bosses. Firing missiles back at robo-POTUS is easy way to cheese it but also stuck on that last boss. Fuck that. Also was enjoying in parts
  • Rogueywon 25 Oct 2020 15:30:22 10,178 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Crysis Remastered is fucking terrible, isn't it?
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.