Recently-abandoned games Page 302

• Switch-v85 29 Nov 2020 20:04:43 4,249 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I donít know. Maybe itís tied to difficultly and can be more lenient. This is my experience with it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/thelastofus/comments/ij7cvd/dina_apologizes_to_ellie_if_they_get_spotted/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf
  • Phattso 29 Nov 2020 21:09:06 26,479 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Switch-v85 wrote:
    Iím going off my experience with the game. It never happened during the 50 odd hours I put into it.
    And Iím going off mine. Not sure why youíre challenging it? Why would I lie? :)
  • Dolly 29 Nov 2020 21:15:12 3,647 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Bugsnax, gave it an hour.

Spent £400 on a new console, can't be dealing with that aesthetic after playing Miles Morales. WANT SHINIES.
  • dfunked09 29 Nov 2020 21:56:50 1,451 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    @Dolly
    I didn't even last an hour... It seemed to perform pretty badly too despite looking like something that could've been done on the PS3. Will keep it on my backlog though as it does sound quite good.
  • PazJohnMitch 29 Nov 2020 22:09:33 16,554 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I have played a few hours of Bugsnax. It is better than it first seems but is nothing special.
  • Deleted user 29 November 2020 22:50:25
    JamboWayOh wrote:
    @EMarkM

Fucking hell, calling lunch, 'dinner' and now THIS. Can we cancel user EMarkM please?
    Someone loves me.

I love me :(

Anyway, TLOU is shite.

Iím off for tea! :)
  • Gunzberg 30 Nov 2020 09:40:08 2,850 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    So been playing the original FF7 on GamePass to see what all the fuss is about.

About 8 hours in and I just can't take the turn-based combat anymore. Constant random battles, constantly rewatching the same start and end battle and spell animations. It just drags everything out.

I used to be ok with turn-based combat (Golden Sun 1 &2) but this...man, I'm so close to just uninstalling it.

It makes me fear for the new Yakuza because I love that series but the new one is now turn-based. Egad
  • FoxMoody 30 Nov 2020 09:50:41 142 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    I'm ashamed to admit it but I decided to quit Hades.
    There are other games that are currently more fun and I'll rather dedicate my time there.
  • Malek86 30 Nov 2020 11:35:31 11,529 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Jedi Fallen Order

I dunno, perhaps the navigation and combat would get much better later on, but the beginning was too annoying for me.

Edited by Malek86 at 11:35:45 30-11-2020
  • Phattso 30 Nov 2020 11:57:12 26,479 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Malek86 wrote:
    Jedi Fallen Order

I dunno, perhaps the navigation and combat would get much better later on, but the beginning was too annoying for me.
    If you can avoid being overwhelmed on Zeffo - and get good at reading the map - then it's far far better on literally all the other planets. I can see it'd be easy to bounce off it early, but I was glad I pushed through. The combat comes into its own, albeit never best in class. The third and fourth planets (beginning K and D) are really good.

I got real Dark Forces vibes in some locations, and loved the overt gaminess of secret areas and the chests.

That said, reading the EG review, the reviewer probably had the experience you're having but had to force themselves on for the sake of the review and really didn't get on with it. So maybe it just ain't your bag as it wasn't theirs.
  • PierrePressure 30 Nov 2020 12:04:06 1,260 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Gunzberg wrote:
    So been playing the original FF7 on GamePass to see what all the fuss is about.

About 8 hours in and I just can't take the turn-based combat anymore. Constant random battles, constantly rewatching the same start and end battle and spell animations. It just drags everything out.

I used to be ok with turn-based combat (Golden Sun 1 &2) but this...man, I'm so close to just uninstalling it.

It makes me fear for the new Yakuza because I love that series but the new one is now turn-based. Egad
    Can't you speed up the battles on ff7?
  • Rhaegyr 30 Nov 2020 12:05:24 5,309 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Really looking forward to playing Fallen Order and (most likely) Control on Gamepass when I open my Xbox at Christmas.

They seem to be very marmite games that people seem to love or hate. Give me those any day over another open-world bloat-a-thon.
  • Gunzberg 30 Nov 2020 12:08:09 2,850 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @PierrePressure god, tell me how.

Plus don't tell me it only works with some item you oy get 40hrs later.

I'm playing the original PS1 fugly version, not the remake
  • Malek86 30 Nov 2020 12:24:32 11,529 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Phattso wrote:
    If you can avoid being overwhelmed on Zeffo - and get good at reading the map - then it's far far better on literally all the other planets. I can see it'd be easy to bounce off it early, but I was glad I pushed through. The combat comes into its own, albeit never best in class. The third and fourth planets (beginning K and D) are really good.

I got real Dark Forces vibes in some locations, and loved the overt gaminess of secret areas and the chests.

That said, reading the EG review, the reviewer probably had the experience you're having but had to force themselves on for the sake of the review and really didn't get on with it. So maybe it just ain't your bag as it wasn't theirs.
    Fair enough. I think I was never especially attracted to the game. I only got it because it was on Game Pass and could have used something to give the Series S a bit more of a workout.

After all, I just bought a new console and yet I'm mostly using it for 360 games. Good enough for me, but goes to show why I didn't want to spend the extra money for the X.

ALso: I think I've just realized, after attempting this and Dark Souls 3, that nowadays I really really hate Souls-like games, unless I know them so well that I can just settle into a rhythm.

Edited by Malek86 at 12:31:33 30-11-2020
  • Rogueywon 30 Nov 2020 12:36:16 10,695 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I... quite liked Fallen Order. Some of the map/navigation issues are a pain, but once I'd found the underground shortcuts on the largest of the planets, everything was fine. I'd agree on the Dark Forces vibe, which I mean as a compliment.

The only real problems for me were a slight flatness to some of the combat (particularly vs animals) and the general issues with tone that I seem to have with all new Star Wars stuff these days (the whole alternating pompousness/fart jokes thing).
  • PierrePressure 30 Nov 2020 12:46:19 1,260 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Gunzberg wrote:
    @PierrePressure god, tell me how.

Plus don't tell me it only works with some item you oy get 40hrs later.

I'm playing the original PS1 fugly version, not the remake
    I think it's L3?
  • dfunked09 30 Nov 2020 12:56:24 1,451 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    RE Fallen Order - Navigating the first planet was a colossal pain in the arse (I still got lost when I came back to grab some secret bits towards the end of the game), but pretty much everything after that is OK.

It's the combat that never really clicked with me. I just ended up dropping the difficult down as low as it would go and ploughing through the second half of the game, as I was enjoying the story but came close to dropping it several times due to the combat.
  • Phattso 30 Nov 2020 13:06:26 26,479 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Malek86 wrote:
    ALso: I think I've just realized, after attempting this and Dark Souls 3, that nowadays I really really hate Souls-like games, unless I know them so well that I can just settle into a rhythm.
    I've always enjoyed but also always sucked at all Souls games. I think Bloodborne is the one I got furthest in, then Demon's, then DS1. But the Souls-likes appeal - perhaps just psychologically - because they feel a bit more doable.

Fall Order is probably worth persevering with a bit further. There are some excellent cameos in there, and a couple of really memorable sequences. As someone said above, if the combat is annoying, whack it onto Story Mode and push on a bit. But maybe aim to get back to Jedi Knight, because the combat can be rewarding.
  • Phattso 30 Nov 2020 13:07:20 26,479 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Rogueywon wrote:
    I'd agree on the Dark Forces vibe, which I mean as a compliment.
    It took me ages to realise what it was reminding me of. I think the 1st/3rd person switch made me think it couldn't be that. But the secrets, the environments, the vibe - very much in that ballpark. As you say - a high compliment.
  • Malek86 30 Nov 2020 13:14:34 11,529 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    The combat wasn't the worst part. Yeah I mean, it kinda sucked, but I could bear with it. I was more bothered by the total lack of fast travel and confusing level design.

While trying to go back to the ship after seeing the message in the first temple, I made a detour and got lost again. After a while of trying to decipher the map, I was like screw it, I can't be bothered with a game that doesn't let me just fast travel back to my ship, no matter what excuse the developers may adduce.

Edited by Malek86 at 13:14:55 30-11-2020
  • JamboWayOh 30 Nov 2020 13:18:19 22,445 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Oh god yeah, it was baffling that you couldn't warp back to your ship after completing your task, it felt like padding of run time for the sake of it.
  • Phattso 30 Nov 2020 13:21:24 26,479 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    It's one of those things where the journey is the point. Had you persisted, and I'm getting slightly spoilery here, the journey back to the ship is cut short about halfway by an unmissable encounter that whisks you off somewhere else.

Plus there's the need to practice the combat. Having just unlocked new abilities, and presumably gotten some levelling up upgrades, you might find certain baddies super easy to defeat now. That's a good moment, that's a good feeling.

But yeah - if you're getting lost there, you've probably lost patience. There are, literally, half a dozen shortcuts from the lower depths of Zaffo up to various key locations on the surface.

If you've already snapped with the game then bin it - it's not like there aren't a hundred other things on GamePass to spend your time on. :)
  • Phattso 30 Nov 2020 13:22:19 26,479 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Or, to put it another way, the metroidvania style opening up of routes really ticked my horn boxes. :)
  • Phattso 30 Nov 2020 13:27:05 26,479 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    JamboWayOh wrote:
    Oh god yeah, it was baffling that you couldn't warp back to your ship after completing your task, it felt like padding of run time for the sake of it.
    It's not padding when the Souls game do it, but for some reason lots of people felt this way.

If it's any help, that but on Zeffo is the "worst" for traipsing back. The other planets are more compact and drop you off somewhere closer to home, and/or have more obvious story beats on the way back to the ship.

For me it's a great coda after having wrapped up an area. Surveying all that I have conquered. Mopping up some secrets on the way out. YMMV, obvs.
  • Rogueywon 30 Nov 2020 13:28:23 10,695 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I really felt sorry for the stormtroopers in that first village on Zeffo - the first combat encounter you see after leaving your ship. I was just reflexively killing them every time I came or went, so it really must have been the galaxy's shittest posting for them.
  • Malek86 30 Nov 2020 13:37:26 11,529 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Tbf I kinda hated it in DS1, but at least From Soft wisened up and let you warp between bonfires starting with Dark Souls 2. As JFO came out five years after that, they have no excuse really.

Besides, I think Dead Cells ruined Metroidvanias for me too. What's even the point of walking back through the same path every time? It can be okay the first time, maybe the second too, but after the third time I just wanna get on with it. That's the same reason why I dropped Axiom verge, and chances are I wouldn't have the patience even for Super Metroid nowadays.

Metroidvanias however, usually have easy enough combat and navigation that I can still bear it, and the 2D map means you are not going to be as confused in the first place. But using that format in a Souls-like is just painful.

Edited by Malek86 at 13:40:04 30-11-2020
  • Phattso 30 Nov 2020 13:41:52 26,479 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Malek86 wrote:
    As JFO came out five years after that, they have no excuse really.
    Well, as I tried to say without spoilers - their "excuse" is that story shit happens on the way back. You can argue that's still shit, but it wasn't an issue for me. In fact I kinda looked forward to plotting my way out of the places.

If all you wanted to do was blat on to the next level, linear stylee, then yeah - you're done with the genre. :D
  • Red_Bool 30 Nov 2020 14:36:37 2,169 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Malek86 wrote:
    Metroidvanias however, usually have easy enough combat and navigation that I can still bear it, and the 2D map means you are not going to be as confused in the first place. But using that format in a Souls-like is just painful.
    You're going to just love Hollow Knight then ;)
    Metroidvania + Souls-like + Combat
    (I loved every minute of it, even the frustrating as f* bits)

I'm enjoying JFO until now (now back on Zeffo for the 2nd time), but I still need to resist the urge to button-mash my way through combat...
  • Zippity-zap 30 Nov 2020 21:29:41 595 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    One thing about Fallen Order that absolutely everyone agrees on is that those downhill sliding platform sections are the best thing to ever happen to the video game industry. 5.5/10
  • Rodney 30 Nov 2020 22:22:12 4,871 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    The back tracking isnít so bad once you get past that second planet.

The later levels are smaller and you open up short cuts for the return journey. I thought the level design was quite clever, and got the balance right between making you think about where you want to get to without being overwhelming.

I quite liked the down hill slides my bits too, and they become trivially easy once you get the force pull for grabbing ropes.

The game is a better Tomb Raider than the modern tomb raider games, I reckon.

Story is absolute shit, but BD1 just about redeems it.
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.