Recently-abandoned games Page 303

• Phattso 30 Nov 2020 22:25:49 26,479 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I went back to the second planet tonight and discovered an entire area that Iíd completely kissed before. Spent a couple of hours mopping up chests and secrets. Without the stress and pull of the campaign Iím really enjoying it a lot more!
  • monkman76 30 Nov 2020 22:26:11 17,700 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Sexy
  • Phattso 30 Nov 2020 22:26:51 26,479 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Heh. Ducking phone.
  • Drakesmoke 2 Dec 2020 20:22:31 710 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I've recently done a but on Fallen Order via Gamepass. I was actually really impressed although it's a bit Nathan Drake. In general it did a better job of Star Wars atmosphere than Squadrons (great in the cockpit, flat af out). I will return to it possibly when I complete Squadrons.

Have finally abandoned Borderlands 3. Feels a shame as I loved the first two so much, and it was also a present from my other half, but I just hate all the cringe YouTube-esque b*llocks in it, and the story is just not gripping. I even bought the DLC like a mug. I will say that the looks and gameplay are excellent but I'm just not going to put the remaining time in.

Have acquired AC Origins and Odyssey in the Black Friday sales. Will probably abandon those next, although have fond memories of Black Flag and like the Egypt setting on Origins.
  • challenge_hanukkah 2 Dec 2020 20:29:31 13,588 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I haven't done a butt for ages.
  • spookyxelectric 2 Dec 2020 20:50:51 332 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Not even on your birthday?
  • QBX 4 Dec 2020 17:31:24 205 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Kona

I was really enjoying the atmosphere but have come to a puzzle that I just can't be fucked with. I reluctantly looked on YT for the answer but it's one puzzle on top of another without explaining what your looking for and it's ruined the game for me.
  • Gunzberg 4 Dec 2020 17:53:38 2,850 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The ending bit is a pain in the neck too with Kona. I just YouTube's the last 15min to skip the rubbish.

Can totally see where you're coming from as the atmosphere was truly unique
  • Darth_Flibble 4 Dec 2020 17:58:14 4,815 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    indivisible

I want to really like the game as the graphics and characters are great but the game is so stretched out with some bad difficulty spikes and mediocre platforming. The bit where I gave up makes you go back to the areas you did. Devs need to understand less content is actually better when you dragged out the game length. Also I don't get why smaller devs do this, its not like they are big team. Crosscode is another game like this some difficulty spikes and padded out experience when the game should of finished hour or 3 ago.
  • Darth_Flibble 4 Dec 2020 18:00:22 4,815 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I can't stand the voice over guy in Kona, also agree about ending bit is a pain in the neck too with Kona. In fact its awful
  • ChaosFox 5 Dec 2020 22:19:08 28 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    Gex

Have had this one floating around for years in my collection (PSX physical, PC digital) but finally decided to play it seriously. It's a fun and decent platformer up until the final world, and while Gex himself seems to be broadly considered to be annoying I actually found his treasure chest of TV and film quotes to be quite funny - a memer before internet memes were even a thing.

Unfortunately the PC and PSX versions have possibly the WORST FUCKING PASSWORD SAVE SYSTEM ever, such that you have a limited number of saves throughout the entire game - roughly eight over a total of 20 or so levels. The system works okay for the first three or so worlds, but you get your last save "cassette" five levels before the final boss and the last two levels are an absolute fucking grind that can take hours to play, necessitating tedious muscle memory and a hint of luck due to the slightly floaty controls. I did eventually get to the final boss, only to spend 40 or so lives systematically trying to figure out what the fuck was going on, not finding a single hit point in that time. I then had the chance to go back to an earlier level to rebuild my lives stock, but thought "fuck it" at that point. The last save point is therefore 3 hours previous to the final boss and I have no desire to inflict that tedium upon myself again.
  • Darth_Flibble 7 Dec 2020 19:12:55 4,815 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Journey to the savage planet

Tried to get back into it, I like the humour and the ideas but the issues are the huge grind for aluminium in the game, its from certain creatures also the grind for alien alloys for upgrades.

You can't pause it, you have to go back to your ship or find a quiet area and hope you don't get attacked

Also the boss plant boss I just faced, really awful game design as you are forced to chip away as its health

the game is 4 hour game stretched into 12 hour game
  • Malek86 7 Dec 2020 21:34:56 11,529 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @ChaosFox I remember playing it for a while, but eventually being put off by the save system.

Sounds like it would be much better with an emulator though, at least you could use save states.
  • GeezaTap 8 Dec 2020 00:16:54 354 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Aggelos - Switch.

Chucked it at the last boss. A fun game for a day If at the tippy top/beyond my capabilities these days.

From what I YouTubed I would have needed more equipment and skill to finish it.
  • Darth_Flibble 14 Dec 2020 09:16:19 4,815 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Unruly heroes

Good thing about gamepass, if a game is shit you can find something better

It has a really nice art style (apart from world 2) it wants to be Ori from world 2 onwards but its where it all goes wrong. World 1 is so strong and well made. lots of cheap 1 hit kills. Managed to get the last world and this lava level is just cheap and the controls don't really work with the pace of jumping using the fan to cool the rock and double jumping up the rocks

Also shit name

4/10
  • Gunzberg 14 Dec 2020 11:13:20 2,850 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Kingdom Come: Deliverance

Loved the medieval sim setting, the story, the style BUT

the combat is atrocious, button clicks don't register half the time, lockpicking is terrible, the texture pop in shameful, the UI design horrendous (even the sales UI needs pages of explanatory notes), it's all so pretty but so shoddy and clunky.

I saw what they attempted but the studio didn't have the capability or game design knowhow to pull it off.

In the end the combat just as in Pathologic 2 was the deciding factor that made me dump it and just watch a story movie on YouTube

Edited by Gunzberg at 11:13:36 14-12-2020
  • Gunzberg 14 Dec 2020 11:14:53 2,850 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @Darth_Flibble I finished it and it was an unfunny, pain in the ass of a game.

Totally agree
  • Tomo 14 Dec 2020 11:23:14 18,829 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    @Gunzberg

Yeah, I binned Kingdom Come for similar reasons. I felt the combat was at least interesting, but I couldn't be arsed to fully get to grips with it. As you say, it felt like swings and blocks didn't always register, which was really frustrating.

The lockpicking is really quite something. One of the most sensitive, fiddly and infuriating mechanisms I've encountered in a game. Move it a nanometer and suddenly it breaks, alerting any nearby NPCs that you're trying to break into their shit. Ugh.

It's a shame as it can look gorgeous and the story started brilliantly. I really liked the idea of going from peasant to nobility. But it was a hobbled game in too many ways for me.
  • Darth_Flibble 14 Dec 2020 13:09:39 4,815 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Gunzberg

you did well to finish it, that lava chase level was fucking awful

edit, completely agree about kingdom Come: Deliverance, fuck the lockpicking in that game

Edited by Darth_Flibble at 13:13:23 14-12-2020
  • DrStrangelove 26 Dec 2020 23:14:12 15,371 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Shovel Knight

Tried to go on but I just can't be arsed anymore tbh. No motivation anymore. The soundtrack being the most extreme of any game I've ever played doesn't really help.
  • Darth_Flibble 27 Dec 2020 11:05:48 4,815 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Observation

Shame as I really like the alien isolation style UI and graphic style (sure I read some of the devs for that worked on this game) but its very much style over substance. Followed the walkthrough (as the game is dense at telling what to do next) and the game has game breaking glitch where you can't progress. its at the coolant hub. The twats didn't put multiple saves or chapter select, so you have to start again even if you reload your save.

Its not a long game but there is fucking awful puzzle if you restart (before the space walk) The devs have abandoned the game, if they fixed it up then it would be a great little game. Thankfully its a gamepass so no money spent. Before it leaves GP I might give this and Journey to the savage planet another go as short games. both could be amazing with updates and fixes
  • Malek86 29 Dec 2020 18:49:53 11,529 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Hexen: Deathkings of the Dark Citadel

Hexen is one of those games that is not as fun as your memories would want you to believe. Still, I finished it. But the expansion is too much. The developers apparently decided that Slaughtaurs and Stalkers are the greatest monsters ever, and good luck making a fun experience with that mindset.
  • dominalien 30 Dec 2020 09:29:48 10,216 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade on Atari ST

Starts off as a point-and-click, fairly quickly turns into some sort of dungeon crawler. I remember castle Brunwald being a tricky trial-and-error affair and I enjoyed that very much this time around as well, but the following section on the zeppelin is just taking the piss.

Maybe my Kixx edition is broken or is somehow an older buggier version than the one I had 30 years ago, as there are bugs which I don't remember being there before. I didn't even remember the piss-taking section from above from my previous playthrough, meaning I must have gone through it no problem, and here I was trying it for at least 20 times, almost ready to smash the computer on the floor when the game conveniently deleted all my saves because I forgot to change the disks. Fuck that shit.

One of my fondest gaming memories ever destroyed, just like that.

I'm sure I'll be back for another try in a couple of years
  • jonathanlealand 30 Dec 2020 10:06:42 129 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Drakesmoke wrote:

Have finally abandoned Borderlands 3. Feels a shame as I loved the first two so much, and it was also a present from my other half, but I just hate all the cringe YouTube-esque b*llocks in it, and the story is just not gripping. I even bought the DLC like a mug. I will say that the looks and gameplay are excellent but I'm just not going to put the remaining time in.
    Iím also struggling with BL3. The general shooting is fun, if repetitive, but wow, the humour and story are so bad. I find myself either zoning out or just sticking on a podcast while blasting away instead.

In an annoying position where I really want to be playing a good looter-shooter but canít seem to get into D2, Div 2, Warframe and BL3 just seems like a default.
  • dfunked09 30 Dec 2020 10:49:37 1,451 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    Borderlands 3's story really was diabolically shit. I probably would have ploughed through it with a few different characters to get them levelled, but just can't put myself through that again. Ava just makes me want to poke knitting needles in my ears.

I keep meaning to come back to play the last bit of DLC at least, but just can't bring myself to. The core game behind it all was fantastic, which is frustrating as it could have been so much more if the complete package was the same level.
  • Rogueywon 30 Dec 2020 10:53:51 10,695 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Yeah, the writing in BL3 was pure cringe. Such a pity, as BL2 had some real stand-out moments (and a decent cycle-of-revenge theme). What made it worse was that for a long time, cutscenes were unskippable, so you had to watch them all, in full, on every fucking playthrough.

As much as the writing, I think the voice acting was also a big step down from BL2's. Ava's and Troy's stand out as particularly poor, while even many of the returning cast gave more muted, dialed-in performances. Claptrap was the only character who sounded "right" to me.
  • KnuttinAtoll 30 Dec 2020 11:17:53 8,633 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    dominalien wrote:
    Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade on Atari ST

Starts off as a point-and-click, fairly quickly turns into some sort of dungeon crawler. I remember castle Brunwald being a tricky trial-and-error affair and I enjoyed that very much this time around as well, but the following section on the zeppelin is just taking the piss.

Maybe my Kixx edition is broken or is somehow an older buggier version than the one I had 30 years ago, as there are bugs which I don't remember being there before. I didn't even remember the piss-taking section from above from my previous playthrough, meaning I must have gone through it no problem, and here I was trying it for at least 20 times, almost ready to smash the computer on the floor when the game conveniently deleted all my saves because I forgot to change the disks. Fuck that shit.

One of my fondest gaming memories ever destroyed, just like that.

I'm sure I'll be back for another try in a couple of years
    As a C64 pleb back in those days, I was envious of my friends who played it on their Amiga - when I gave it a go myself years later via emulator those two sections were a real disappointment and I felt the game received a much better reception when it released than it deserved. The actual point and click sections seemed rather short when comparing it to Maniac Mansion or Zak McKracken which were older games.
  • dfunked09 30 Dec 2020 11:23:52 1,451 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    Rogueywon wrote:
    Claptrap was the only character who sounded "right" to me.
    Quite funny considering it wasn't even the same actor :D
    Can definitely see what you mean though.
  • dominalien 30 Dec 2020 12:01:25 10,216 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @KnuttinAtoll Yes, actual adventuring is very bare-bones here. There are some very nice touches (travel pass and fake diary), but the locations are mostly completely empty. Like the zeppelin lounge screen, which is two screens long, which has 1 (one) (!!!!) clickable object.

Edited by dominalien at 12:03:43 30-12-2020
  • KnuttinAtoll 30 Dec 2020 13:40:33 8,633 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    dominalien wrote:
    @KnuttinAtoll Yes, actual adventuring is very bare-bones here. There are some very nice touches (travel pass and fake diary), but the locations are mostly completely empty. Like the zeppelin lounge screen, which is two screens long, which has 1 (one) (!!!!) clickable object.
    I do have Fate of Atlantis in my Steam library, while I didn't complete it (yet) it does seem to be the better adventure game. Last Crusade being a movie tie in had that special allure though back then as I was a big fan (still am) of the original trilogy, to the point of locating and visiting in person the foot bridge/plaza in Venice, first as a teenager during a school trip, and much later with my wife.
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.