Recently-abandoned games Page 304

Next Last
  • jonathanlealand 30 Dec 2020 14:34:59 129 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @dfunked09

Oh my god yes Ava is just so shit. And so weirdly un-Borderlands like as a character.
  • RyanDS 30 Dec 2020 14:44:03 13,673 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    KnuttinAtoll wrote:
    dominalien wrote:
    @KnuttinAtoll Yes, actual adventuring is very bare-bones here. There are some very nice touches (travel pass and fake diary), but the locations are mostly completely empty. Like the zeppelin lounge screen, which is two screens long, which has 1 (one) (!!!!) clickable object.
    I do have Fate of Atlantis in my Steam library, while I didn't complete it (yet) it does seem to be the better adventure game. Last Crusade being a movie tie in had that special allure though back then as I was a big fan (still am) of the original trilogy, to the point of locating and visiting in person the foot bridge/plaza in Venice, first as a teenager during a school trip, and much later with my wife.
    I think that may be my game tonight. Love it so much. I especially love the choice of fight / duo / puzzle modes.
  • dominalien 30 Dec 2020 15:05:09 10,216 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I played Fate numerous times over the years and it’s always been great.
  • Duffking 1 Jan 2021 13:57:49 16,728 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I've had Wonderful 101 Remastered ready to go for a while on my Switch as one of the Platinum games I've never played. Been quite looking forward to playing it, but I'm abandoning it after maybe 6-7 levels.

I really, really hate it. In nearly every single way. It's not the worst game I've ever played, but that's about the only technically positive thing I can think of to say about it.

The camera is without a doubt the worst I've ever come across in a game, two of the final straws for me were encounters where tank enemies insisted on hovering on opposite ends of the arena from one another making it impossible to react to attacks from off screen, while another was a boss encounter where it kept doing all these "cinematic" moves while extra mobs were still present, but moving such that these enemies were no longer on screen and thus able to hit me.

The game is just visually incomprehensible to me, telegraphing of enemy attacks is frequently dire, or hidden by the mass of other shit going on on my screen. It's fucking awful at explaining itself to the extent you have to watch youtube videos to understand how the combat works as well.

Chuck in a couple of irritating minigames and you've got a game I hate. I was getting mostly silver medals for missions at the end but... I just hate it.
  • Red_Bool 1 Jan 2021 15:37:51 2,169 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Duffking - Totally agree.
    I bought this on the cheap for the Wii U ages ago and thought I would give it a proper chance (I even had it on my PWYGGWYP list).
    I really wanted to like it and was thinking that if I played it longer it would "click" with me. It didn't.
    After persevering through 9 or 10 missions I never felt "in control" and basically just was not enjoying myself.
  • GNS1991 4 Jan 2021 09:40:45 50 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 3 weeks ago
    Crusader Kings 3. Installed it, took a glimpse at the UI and the map, felt totally lost. Uninstalled it. Went back to CK2.
  • Malek86 5 Jan 2021 21:48:57 11,529 posts
    Seen 59 seconds ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Gonna give up on Daggerfall.

Randomized quests is one thing, Arena did that too and I liked it, but this game has no chills. Even the most basic task will require you to scour a massive labyrinth of a dungeon for hours. Navigating these behemoths is simply no fun.
  • RyanDS 5 Jan 2021 21:51:25 13,673 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Malek86 wrote:

Randomized quests is one thing, Arena did that too and I liked it, but this game has no chills. Even the most basic task will require you to scour a massive labyrinth of a dungeon for hours. Navigating these behemoths is simply no fun.
    Oh god I remember those, you had to use the tilde key I remember and use prompts like “go to treasure” or whatever it was. In fact I think those were compulsory as often the dungeon was bugged so you could not actually get there properly.
  • GumboVariations 8 Jan 2021 05:04:34 82 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 1 month ago
    Destiny 2 (PS5).

There's an awful, awful lot of different currencies on top of different systems on top of different trinkets on top of different quests on top of different accolades for what basically amounts to Bullet Sponge Enemies: The Game.

There is a mechanically wonderful FPS in there (and it looks and runs superbly on PS5 too), but goodness, what a chore and snore everything else framing it is.

Heck of a package for free if it's your thing though, so kudos to Bungie.
  • dfunked09 8 Jan 2021 09:41:22 1,451 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    Outside of a few bosses and some of the endgame content, D2 definitely isn't as bullet spongey as some games out there. The boss on the latest mission bugs out if you kill him too quickly, which a lot of people discovered this week!

But yeah, can't really disagree and even die hards like me are drifting away from it these days.
  • GumboVariations 8 Jan 2021 10:12:23 82 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 1 month ago
    It was the first Strike mission boss (can't remember her name). I had a few beers and needed to pee, so maybe it felt longer than it actually was!

Am I right in thinking the Cosmodrome area wasn't originally in it? I played a bit on the PS4 years ago and tenner it starting in that area with the guy high up in the church steeple.

I might give it another look later as just got a legendary bow and fuck does that feel good to use.

Edited by GumboVariations at 10:12:44 08-01-2021
  • monsieur-Cosmo 8 Jan 2021 10:12:31 626 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Starlink: Battle for Atlas. (free from UPlay).
    A poor man's No Man's Sky? It was fun for a while...until I started to see a pattern in everything - in fauna and flora, in buildings, in ships, in planets. Got bored after a few missions. I guess there is still a long way to go until they can reproduce the real life variety in a videogame. Plus points for butter-smooth animation and very good voice acting.
  • dfunked09 8 Jan 2021 10:17:38 1,451 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    @GumboVariations
    Yeah, Cosmodrome was originally a D1 area that they brought into D2 as an intro mission (it wasn't in the game at launch), then they brought the full thing (well, most of it) back as part of the beyond light expansion in November.

That boss has a ridiculous number of immune phases and is probably one of the least fun strike bosses next to the Nessus one, so try not to let that put off you.

Bows are so satisfying to use, and if you get a sword like failing guillotine to drop hang on to it as it's still one of the DPS kings.

Edited by dfunked09 at 10:19:43 08-01-2021
  • GumboVariations 9 Jan 2021 18:11:07 82 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 1 month ago
    @dfunked09 Okay that makes sense. I've never played the first game but thought I recognised the area.

I've got a sword that wrecks everything (to the point where it feels like cheating).

Bah, you've convinced me to give it another soon, the aesthetic is rather enjoyable so I would like to see more of the world. I might just mainline the campaign bits.
  • Kilters 9 Jan 2021 20:35:19 630 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Residential Evil 7: Biohazard

About 4 hours in with gamepass. Bullet sponge bosses with trial and error weak spots, coupled with Inventory management from the 80's, means I can't be arsed continuing.
  • JoeBlade 9 Jan 2021 20:42:23 5,713 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Malek86 wrote:

That reminds me why I only got into ES with Morrowind. The randomness and huge (and frankly often boring) dungeons killed my interest in Daggerfall too. Arena was already a bit too old when I discovered ES.
  • JamboWayOh 9 Jan 2021 20:50:59 22,445 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Kilters wrote:
    Residential Evil 7: Biohazard

About 4 hours in with gamepass. Bullet sponge bosses with trial and error weak spots, coupled with Inventory management from the 80's, means I can't be arsed continuing.
    Have we played completely different games?
  • Malek86 9 Jan 2021 20:55:18 11,529 posts
    Seen 59 seconds ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @GumboVariations Cosmodrome was in D1, and the strike is effectively a remix of an old strike as well. Worth mentioning that nobody liked that strike in D1 either.

Unfortunately they removed a lot of good content with the expansion, and the new stuff that was supposed to replace it is just no fun. If there ever was a bad time to get into Destiny, this year is that time. Hopefully the next expansion is gonna be a lot better.
  • dfunked09 9 Jan 2021 21:20:27 1,451 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 9 months ago
    God of War

I got a load of flak when I dismissed TLOU2 recently (but eventually came back to it and enjoyed it)
    Here I am yet again ready for the pitchforks... I've played every single GoW game before this (including the two PSP ones) but this just doesn't do it for me. The control scheme is just plain baffling and even after a good few hours doesn't feel like it'll ever become muscle memory, and by the time you get to the second realm they start cranking up the number of airborne enemies which makes it even less enjoyable.

Looks fucking great (especially at 4k/60), but I just can't be arsed with it.
  • Armoured_Bear 9 Jan 2021 21:24:15 29,481 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    dfunked09 wrote:
    God of War

I got a load of flak when I dismissed TLOU2 recently (but eventually came back to it and enjoyed it)
    Here I am yet again ready for the pitchforks... I've played every single GoW game before this (including the two PSP ones) but this just doesn't do it for me. The control scheme is just plain baffling and even after a good few hours doesn't feel like it'll ever become muscle memory, and by the time you get to the second realm they start cranking up the number of airborne enemies which makes it even less enjoyable.

Looks fucking great (especially at 4k/60), but I just can't be arsed with it.
    I gave up on God of War as well, couldn't put my figure on exactly what was wrong for me but I just didn't find it fun enough.
  • Rogueywon 9 Jan 2021 21:47:08 10,695 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I sort-of liked God of War... put it as a 7/10-ish game, about the same as TLOU2. My biggest problem with it was that it wasn't really God of War. Instead, it felt like a hybrid of Dark Souls and TLOU. I really, really didn't need Kratos turning into another dad-game protagonist.

Beyond that, the game pretty much repeats the same two bosses over and over and the final third of the game is a narrative mess, with nothing that really deserves to be called an ending.

It had its moments, though, and a few of the areas were decent.
  • GumboVariations 10 Jan 2021 01:16:12 82 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 1 month ago
    @Malek86 Yourself and dfunked have convinced me to give it another whirl so, as I'm just past that strike.

It's free I've nowhere to go, so the worst is I retire it.
  • Steifybobbins 10 Jan 2021 22:39:20 741 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Duffking wrote:
    I've had Wonderful 101 Remastered ready to go for a while on my Switch as one of the Platinum games I've never played. Been quite looking forward to playing it, but I'm abandoning it after maybe 6-7 levels.

I really, really hate it. In nearly every single way. It's not the worst game I've ever played, but that's about the only technically positive thing I can think of to say about it.

The camera is without a doubt the worst I've ever come across in a game, two of the final straws for me were encounters where tank enemies insisted on hovering on opposite ends of the arena from one another making it impossible to react to attacks from off screen, while another was a boss encounter where it kept doing all these "cinematic" moves while extra mobs were still present, but moving such that these enemies were no longer on screen and thus able to hit me.

The game is just visually incomprehensible to me, telegraphing of enemy attacks is frequently dire, or hidden by the mass of other shit going on on my screen. It's fucking awful at explaining itself to the extent you have to watch youtube videos to understand how the combat works as well.

Chuck in a couple of irritating minigames and you've got a game I hate. I was getting mostly silver medals for missions at the end but... I just hate it.
    I found Wonderful 101 completely brilliant in a cinematic Saturday morning cartoon way. Gameplay wise it was a rush too. I consider it Platinums best game and I've liked most of them a lot
  • Graxlar_v3 12 Jan 2021 09:13:05 10,806 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    ghostrunner

Seemingly alot of fun but ugh... my head was spinning after an hour. it was giving me all sorts of motion sickness, which is a shame as it did seem interesting.
  • theguy 14 Jan 2021 18:50:45 1,010 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Duffking I just played through the demo of W101. It's pretty substantial and goes till the first sort of boss/major set piece.
    I didn't hate it but I couldn't really get to grips with it either. A lot of things are poorly explained like you say, and it felt like all I was doing was taking out my sword and mashing O.
    For some inexplicable reason you can only play the demo on Very Easy though, so I had little reason to do anything else. It can be messy too, and I was on the early levels so I imagine it gets worse on that front.
    I wanted to like it but I've come away not really wanting to bother
  • Next Last
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.