Recently-abandoned games Page 310

• SolidSCB 18 Feb 2021 11:43:03 14,913 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yeah it's quite bizarre how bad it is, considering how weighty the gunplay is and all the other really cool physics at play. Yet there she is, floating around like a crab tied to a helium balloon.
  • monkman76 18 Feb 2021 11:47:17 18,034 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The humans in general are a bit AA at best, it's true.
  • Decks 18 Feb 2021 11:50:18 28,847 posts
    Seen 56 seconds ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The enemy animation seems fine, it's mainly her. Running around like she's desperately trying to find a toilet before disaster strikes.
  • monkman76 18 Feb 2021 11:51:53 18,034 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I was more meaning the NPCs in cut scenes.
  • Decks 18 Feb 2021 11:53:25 28,847 posts
    Seen 56 seconds ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yeah they're not great. Her face is weird too. Although that might just be because the actress is odd looking.
  • JamboWayOh 18 Feb 2021 11:54:06 22,927 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    PazJohnMitch wrote:
    No loading issues on PS5. And frame rate seems fine. I have no technical issues with it at all.
    I'm not talking about the ps5 version I'm talking about the last gen version which is where I first played it.
  • PazJohnMitch 18 Feb 2021 11:57:01 16,751 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Decks wrote:
    Yeah they're not great. Her face is weird too. Although that might just be because the actress is odd looking.
    That and the funny walking add to the weird atmosphere to me. I think it is intentional as one of the characters has a cleft lip.
  • Rum_Monkey 18 Feb 2021 11:59:12 2,193 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    JamboWayOh wrote:
    PazJohnMitch wrote:
    No loading issues on PS5. And frame rate seems fine. I have no technical issues with it at all.
    I'm not talking about the ps5 version I'm talking about the last gen version which is where I first played it.
    I think he's saying it might be worth giving it another go if that's what ruined the experience last time.
  • SolidSCB 18 Feb 2021 12:00:27 14,913 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Maybe the curry she ate last night was an object of power and it's given her a seismic case of the squits.
  • Rum_Monkey 18 Feb 2021 12:03:46 2,193 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    The whole game is a metaphor for having a poo. The old house is your intestines, the hiss is your pre poo fart and all those people floating is none over than floaters.
  • PazJohnMitch 18 Feb 2021 12:04:15 16,751 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Rum_Monkey wrote:
    JamboWayOh wrote:
    PazJohnMitch wrote:
    I think he's saying it might be worth giving it another go if that's what ruined the experience last time.
    Yes. All my niggles with Control seem to be design decisions. If anyone’s issues were purely technical issues, I think these have been resolved with the latest versions.
  • JamboWayOh 18 Feb 2021 12:19:16 22,927 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Rum_Monkey wrote:
    JamboWayOh wrote:
    PazJohnMitch wrote:
    Part of it was technical and part of it was that it was purely fine but I never felt it was this amazing game that people rave on about. I dunno, I just didn't feel it. As Solid says I found it to be a Marmite game.
  • UncleLou Moderator 18 Feb 2021 12:22:23 40,344 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    PazJohnMitch wrote:
    Decks wrote:
    That and the funny walking add to the weird atmosphere to me. I think it is intentional as one of the characters has a cleft lip.
    He (Langston?) is the only character that looks good, technically. Worst is the blond woman, whatshername, who sits in central executive. Looks absolutely terrible.
  • Rogueywon 18 Feb 2021 12:27:41 11,037 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Could be worse, could be the Star Wars: Fallen Order characters. The humans in that looked freakier than the aliens.
  • wuntyate 18 Feb 2021 12:29:16 16,533 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Decks wrote:
    Although that might just be because the actress is odd looking.
    You take that back.
  • UncleLou Moderator 18 Feb 2021 12:32:50 40,344 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Rogueywon wrote:
    Could be worse, could be the Star Wars: Fallen Order characters. The humans in that looked freakier than the aliens.
    Ha, true, but I am pretty sure the Control and the Fallen Order charcaters could breed with each other.
  • Decks 18 Feb 2021 12:37:13 28,847 posts
    Seen 56 seconds ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    wuntyate wrote:
    Decks wrote:
    You take that back.
    Having looked her up she isn't odd looking. So they must have moosed her up by choice.
  • Decks 18 Feb 2021 12:41:41 28,847 posts
    Seen 56 seconds ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Actually yeah the guy out of Fallen Order had that same chinny inbred look.
  • Decks 18 Feb 2021 12:43:35 28,847 posts
    Seen 56 seconds ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The first Director.

• monkman76 18 Feb 2021 12:44:10 18,034 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Decks wrote:
    wuntyate wrote:
    Decks wrote:
    You take that back.
    Having looked her up she isn't odd looking. So they must have moosed her up by choice.
    I quite fancy the in-game character in a sci-fi looking suit you unlock later on.
  • wuntyate 18 Feb 2021 12:46:36 16,533 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I wouldn't say she's totally moosed in game, just a bit moosed. About 33%. A third moosed / moosing. I'll take a 33% moosing tbh.
  • Decks 18 Feb 2021 12:47:32 28,847 posts
    Seen 56 seconds ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    See now knowing there's new costumes to play dress up with will compel me to play it way more than the twilight zone filler episode stuff.
  • wuntyate 18 Feb 2021 12:48:22 16,533 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    There's not loads but there's a few.

No moose outfit though.
  • Red_Bool 18 Feb 2021 13:49:05 2,210 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Rogueywon wrote:
    I actually liked Merrin (the nightsister, so okay, humanoid not human), but perhaps that also was because I really loved to hear her voice. That accent...
  • JamboWayOh 18 Feb 2021 14:01:03 22,927 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Red_Bool wrote:
    Rogueywon wrote:
    I actually liked Merrin (the nightsister, so okay, humanoid not human), but perhaps that also was because I really loved to hear her voice. That accent...
    She actually looked good, which is odd. Maybe they had more budget for her.
  • Kay 18 Feb 2021 17:36:56 20,990 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Decks wrote:
    She runs like she's trying to hold a shit in.
    Ah, so that's why it's called Control.
  • jonathanlealand 19 Feb 2021 07:43:22 143 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    PazJohnMitch wrote:
    I think it is more that I have played a very large number of Metroidvania type games and Control is one of the weakest ones when it comes to World design. (But I cannot full categorise why it is weak).

I think some of it is because:
    There are not really any secret paths just rooms with collectibles in
    The locked doors are not particularly memorable, just key pads with numbers
    The world as a whole does not have that much variety
    The collectibles are not that interesting
    The hidden power ups are randomised and can be found elsewhere
    It does not feel interconnected. There are no “wow A connects to K, wasn’t expecting that” moments
    You’ve hit on a lot of my own problems with the game.
  • jonathanlealand 19 Feb 2021 07:44:12 143 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    monkman76 wrote:
    The collectibles are the most interesting collectibles in any game I've ever played. But hey, opinions.
    In what way? Genuinely curious.
  • monkman76 19 Feb 2021 09:26:54 18,034 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I mean, "interesting collectibles" is a pretty low bar in games. But most of them in Control flesh out the world in satisfying and often amusing ways. As has been mentioned, they often foreshadow things you're about to see or experience. If you pay attention to the to/from names in the correspondence, it all fits together nicely and makes perfect sense in the world. You can often work out what's been redacted if you stop and think for a moment, and it's often funny. Any video with Darling in it is just great. Etc. All imo of course.
  • Rodimus-Prime 19 Feb 2021 10:39:52 417 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Just to chime in on Control - i loved the game and its world is the primary reason... but if you just look at The Oldest House as a metroidvania-type gamespace, i can see why you'd be disappointed.

For me, it's not so much about that space is gamified, but how its presented in a somewhat realistic way that made it enjoyable to walkthrough. The collectables, and how they were in areas you'd reasonably expect to find such things in reality adds to that.

I'm into things like the SCP Foundation, so really liked finding a new document and giving it a read. I found the combat rahter fun too, especially as the throw ability is so overpowered and by maxxing that out i was basically playing as a god, but i think the term 'virtual tourism' can best explain why i and a lot of other people like it so much.

More on topic - despite being very very careful, and going through the game without killing anyone or being spotted, i finished the third mission and at teh wrap up screen it told me that i had killed one person.

So Dishonored 2 can go away for a little while. I was already considering that i should stop it and start again after initially choosing to play as Corvo over Emily, but this has tipped me over.

I'll go back to it at some point in the future i'm sure.
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.