Recently-abandoned games Page 311

• PazJohnMitch 19 Feb 2021 10:42:57 16,751 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I had that issue on the first Dishonoured. I didnít kill anyone but someone managed to die.
  • Rodimus-Prime 19 Feb 2021 10:52:41 417 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    On the first one, i think it was the case that if you knocked someone out and left them on the street, it's possible for some rats to find and devour them.

I assume that's what happened to me here, but on the mission in question i didn't see any rats at all. I'm sort of wondering if a special action i took to facilitate the non-lethal approach might have counted as a kill.
  • PazJohnMitch 19 Feb 2021 10:58:07 16,751 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    No idea what killed the first person. Perhaps it was the rats.

Later in the run I knocked someone out and their unconscious body fell of a ledge.

And then I killed someone on purpose as they knew I robbed a vault. (Figured I had already failed so offed them).

So 3 people died on my play through.
  • Rodimus-Prime 19 Feb 2021 11:02:41 417 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    That's not bad! I managed to do the first game and its DLC Without killing anyone (but was spotted at least 5 times) so was wanting to continue that in the second game.

I just know that if i continue, it's going to gnaw at me knowing that i've killed someone. Maybe the best solution is just say 'screw it' and go on a rampage from here on out.
  • wuntyate 19 Feb 2021 11:09:01 16,533 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah I've done that on both Dishonored games. Quite annoying as I went for no kill runs on both and it meant restarting. The first game even moreso than the first I found that it was very easy for someone to die if I'd left them in a place I thought was safe but the game decided to off them anyway.
  • Mola_Ram 19 Feb 2021 11:11:42 25,358 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Doesn't it tell you if you've finished a mission and someone died on it? I seem to remember it doing that, but could be wrong.
  • minky-kong 19 Feb 2021 11:20:15 14,704 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I gave up on Dishonored when it first came out for the exact reason that trying to do a no deaths run was painfully un-fun.

Did the collection in the last few months without worrying about those trophies and it was a much more enjoyable experience.

...and then I tried doing Prey with no human deaths but somehow one happened that I was completely unaware of diddling me out of a couple of trophies. So I clearly hadn't learned anything.
  • muddyyfunster 19 Feb 2021 11:56:06 911 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I really wanted to like both Dishonoured and Dishonoured 2 but abandoned both after several hours. Really not sure why they didn't click for me as I usually love looking glass style first-person games.

I don't remember specifically going for a trophy, but I do recall you were discouraged from killing and I was certainly trying to avoid it the whole time. I also found the art style offputting as it was neither realistic nor completely stylised. In any case, I never felt immersed and at a certain point, I realised I just wasn't having much fun so abandoned it.

Conversely, I completed no kills runs on at first attempt in Deus Ex: HR and Prey and loved both. Had to make judicious use of quick save and quick load but it wasn't a frustrating experience and added strategy to encounters.
  • Rum_Monkey 19 Feb 2021 11:57:51 2,193 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Games that give you a cool set of kill moves only to punish your for using them are really annoying.
  • Rhaegyr 19 Feb 2021 12:23:30 5,356 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Definitely - I've just dropped Dishonored 2 for this reason.

Coincidentally it's one of the complaints I'd level at Control too; all these cool moves but you're a funny walking glass cannon. A bit more health and more energy and I think I would've loved Control a lot more.
  • PierrePressure 19 Feb 2021 12:27:18 1,309 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    You can upgrade your health and energy with the mods can't you?
  • JoeBlade 19 Feb 2021 12:29:46 5,865 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I thoroughly enjoyed Dishonoured and am equally enjoying the second one.

I think it's best played either as a total murderous maniac - my Emily Kaldwin in the sequel - or by trying to avoid killing but not going out of your way to do so. I mean, you are am assassin.
    I've finished it with low chaos but not with hands clean and honestly don't care.

It's a bit too easy to accidentally kill someone in those games so I can see how players with OCD and achievement/trophy hunters don't like them though.
  • Decks 19 Feb 2021 12:31:50 28,847 posts
    Seen 40 seconds ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    The horrendous input lag ruined Dishonoured for me. Same with Prey.
  • Rhaegyr 19 Feb 2021 12:35:35 5,356 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    PierrePressure wrote:
    You can upgrade your health and energy with the mods can't you?
    True but it still never felt like enough except right at the end of the game when I maxed everything out and could play 'freely'.

Edit - Still liked the game, think I gave it a solid 6 in the review thread; just felt like with a few tweaks it could've been so much more.

Edited by Rhaegyr at 12:38:10 19-02-2021
  • DrStrangelove 19 Feb 2021 21:21:42 15,427 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    So after buying 5 fighting games in the recent Steam sale, 2 were written off instantly and another 2 are pretty much abandoned right now I guess.

Street Fighter X Tekken, I didn't know it was a tag team game with no 1 on 1. I hate that. I played Tekken Tag Tournament 1 a lot back then, but only because I loved having all of the Tekken characters together in a brand new PS2 title. I never liked the tag team mechanic, I like 1 on 1 where you commit to one character. The little I played didn't even feel great and apparently it gets a lot of flak for its system of choosing whatever bonuses for a fight. If I have 5 games, I guess I can discard the ones with mechanics I fundamentally dislike right away. Deleted.

Marvel vs Capcom 3 Ultimate: loved the idea of having Arthur and Firebrand, but it's a 3-fighter tag team ffs, just no. Also The entire fighting style of this games just confuses me. Deleted.

Ultra Street Fighter 4/Street Fighter 5: I swore by my life I will give each of the remaining games at least 10 hours before discarding them. 7 hours in in SF4, 0.2 in SF5. SF4 is a fun game and I quickly found a liking to Juri, although I'm kinda hitting a brick wall at getting past Bison even on normal difficulty. Haven't played SF5 past the tutorial yet, intended to do that after playing SF4 for 10 hours (although I heard some good amount of criticism towards 5). Anyway, I swore I'd play this for 10 hours at least just as well.

The real problem here is the 5th game, Tekken 7. I'm getting into it and I feel the spark again, I'm trying to get better and understand stuff and I practise and play and learn all the mechanics and tactics and strategies and mind games and I'm gobbling up guides and mechanics breakdowns and whatnot. I'm hooked, I want to learn as much as I can and get ever better and the game's mechanics are just so intriguing and overall it's just so damn good.

My main for the time being is Josie, simply because she's the replacement for my previous main Bruce and I like her style of kickboxing, it just feels satisfying and pretty intuitive. I already learned that she's a savage punisher, which is lovely because I find nothing more satisfying than some good punishment (read whatever you want into that). I believe I'm going to stick with her for quite a while.

I already don't care at all about Street Fighter anymore. Sure, I swore I'd play each for 10 hours, but eh, what are promises worth these days anyway. I think I can consider SF4/5 pretty much abandoned at this point.

Edited by DrStrangelove at 21:36:46 19-02-2021
  • GumboVariations 19 Feb 2021 21:53:02 187 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    Tekken 7 is bordering on the best fighting game ever. The season passes are a bit of a rip off (although I have picked them up on sale), but sticking with the base game and balancing it for the last few years just makes it sing.
  • docrob 19 Feb 2021 21:57:48 1,748 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    JoeBlade wrote:

I think it's best played either as a total murderous maniac - my Emily Kaldwin in the sequel - or by trying to avoid killing but not going out of your way to do so. I mean, you are am assassin.
    I've finished it with low chaos but not with hands clean and honestly don't care.

It's a bit too easy to accidentally kill someone in those games so I can see how players with OCD and achievement/trophy hunters don't like them though.
    Thatís how I played Dishonoured too. Iím not good at pure stealth - I find it frustrating. I can deal with it providing I can Ďclearí an area by knocking everyone out, but otherwise Iím not keen. I keep bouncing off Hitman - I love the idea and I love the style, but the level of precision stealth needed isnít my bag.
  • uiruki 19 Feb 2021 23:03:39 5,667 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Dirt 5 - PS5

This game is fucking terrible. I can't take it any longer.
  • JoeBlade 20 Feb 2021 00:07:27 5,865 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    docrob wrote:
    Iím not good at pure stealth - I find it frustrating. I can deal with it providing I can Ďclearí an area by knocking everyone out, but otherwise Iím not keen.
    I hear you and I think Arkane tried to cater precisely to gamers like you and me. DH has stealth elements but doesn't force you into the 'observe enemies for 5 minutes - move - wait - move - wait - move - rinse - repeat' gameplay of pure bred stealth games, which I find a bit frustrating as well.

The fact that being spotted or even killing an enemy in plain sight doesn't alert the entire level, let alone mean it's kaputt/reload time, tells me a true blooded stealth game's not what the dev had in mind.
  • Armoured_Bear 20 Feb 2021 00:09:55 29,798 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    JoeBlade wrote:

I just started it and am trying to be non-lethal but It'll take me forever to do that obsessively so I'll take the approach you suggest.
  • Rogueywon 20 Feb 2021 00:13:03 11,038 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    uiruki wrote:
    Dirt 5 - PS5

It is made of shit, turds and poo what comes from your bum.
  • GumboVariations 20 Feb 2021 01:59:45 187 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    I played Dishonored and its sequel all sneaky-sneak, but whenever I got rumbled I had no issues with going stabby-stab.

Much more fun that way.
  • Rodimus-Prime 20 Feb 2021 11:42:48 417 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I think i'm going to just carry on. I went out of my way to pick up as many runes and charms in the first few missions, and loot as much coin as possible. So i'm pretty nicely upgraded and the idea of starting again isn't all that appealing.

I'm not too fussed about the trophies to be honest. I remember having to start GTA IV again because after a few missions (overwriting my autosave) i realised i couldn't live with Niko having accidentally run over a pedestrian, s i guess i'm just hardwired with an abnormal regard for NPC life.

But i had a lot more free time in 2008. I don't think i can just write off the last three hours i spent in Dishonored 2, especially if i can still get the best ending.
  • HarryPalmer 20 Feb 2021 23:24:05 6,304 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    GumboVariations wrote:
    Tekken 7 is bordering on the best fighting game ever. The season passes are a bit of a rip off (although I have picked them up on sale), but sticking with the base game and balancing it for the last few years just makes it sing.
    This made me want to try it. Currently £3.99 on PSN, yes please.
  • GumboVariations 21 Feb 2021 12:35:31 187 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    @HarryPalmer That's an outrageous amount of content for the price. Sure, you'll see the top row of 12 characters locked as they're DLC, but there's still 35 characters in the base game. It's had all the balance changes, new moves and some free bits of DLC (mostly new backgrounds) over the years. If you're a fan of the old games, you can set any background music to anything from the previous games, plus there's every cinematic in the series.

One aspect of the DLC model that I've come to appreciate is everyone is playing the same version of the game, so it doesn't fragment the player base. You can go online with Tekken 7 and find matches almost instantly, despite the game coming out almost 4 years ago.

But for that price you'll get your money's worth just blasting through the ridiculous story.
  • HarryPalmer 21 Feb 2021 13:55:17 6,304 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Itís a complete no brainier at that price!
  • Dombat 21 Feb 2021 14:01:27 1,900 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Rogueywon wrote:
    uiruki wrote:
    Dirt 5 - PS5

Iím grateful for your very negative posts on the game around the PS5 release ensuring that I got WRC9 instead. Completely hooked on that at the moment, whereas Dirt 5 seems very underwhelming.
  • Darth_Flibble 21 Feb 2021 14:14:01 4,927 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Rogueywon wrote:
    uiruki wrote:
    Dirt 5 - PS5

Why is it so bad? its coming to gamepass next week and was going to play it
  • Rogueywon 21 Feb 2021 14:25:05 11,038 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Darth_Flibble It needed 6 more months in development. I actually feel sorry for the dev team. It's clearly a game that was hit by a combination of a sudden shift to remote working (with a slug of lost time during the transition) with Covid and a publisher insistence that it be ready for the new console releases.

The handling model is poor, which is a pretty big fault for any driving game. It doesn't feel either "arcade" or "sim", instead it just feels very, very flat. The handling on most of the cars is very samey, with no spark or personality. You get flickers of life from the '90s rally cars, but only intermittent. WRC9 is more at the sim end of the spectrum, but its cars all feel interesting and different. Dirt 5's don't.

The biggest problem is the career mode. It's a good length. It took me around 12 hours to complete and I didn't finish 100% of the events. But there's absolutely no meaningful sense of progression. There's a tiny track list and the events don't change at all as you progress. There's quite literally no difference between a race in the first hour of the game and the final hour - same tracks, same cars, same length, same AI difficulty, same rules. There's an incredibly thin dudebro-lite story that runs through the career mode, but even that feels half-hearted. You earn money, but all it can be used for is to unlock cars that drive exactly the same as the ones you already have and for cosmetics.

There's no difficulty curve, but there are random spikes. Some event types are just much, much harder than the others (with said others being trivially easy even against high-end AI). The AI opponents blatantly aren't constrained by the same physics as the player - they can do turns without losing grip on ice and dirt surfaces that the player just can't replicate. Plus the AI seems to totally ignore the player's existence - they won't try to avoid you and will happily try to overtake by going right through the player.

And at release at least, it was buggy as hell. All versions would crash to desktop every 5-6 races. Save data would mysteriously vanish and then - equally mysteriously - reappear the next day. HDR looked worse than SDR. On PC, it couldn't even do exclusive fullscreen and didn't auto-hide the mouse-cursor, so you needed to move it to the edge of the screen if you didn't want it showing up during play.

I know it's had a lot of post-launch patches so it might be improving a bit, but there was no way in hell it was ready for release.
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.