Recently-abandoned games Page 312

• Darth_Flibble 21 Feb 2021 14:33:20 4,927 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @Rogueywon

thanks for the info, hopefully they fixed it since then but will not rush to download it
  • JoelStinty 21 Feb 2021 16:41:24 9,274 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Think Iím going to bin Crash 4. Kinda at the end of my tether with it. Near the end now - on level 38 of 43. Surprised I made it this far. I canít remember a game which I have loathed playing as much as this one. Only stuck with it as Iím taking part in the pigwhip challenge.

Plus itís killed a DualSense 4.

Surprised at some of the reviews. Think Nostalgia led quite a lot of them. Itís very much a game stuck in the past. Itís platforming is genuinely woeful. It just feels floaty and has no real connection to the game world. Combined with some cheap segments and trial and error gameplay the initial joy for it being steeped in nostalgia wears off pretty quickly. It does make you realise how good Mario games are. The movement, connection between the player and game word, the design and invention of the levels. Crash 4 as done as that. Itís just cheap thrills with cheap platforming. Will give credit to the developers for making a generous game though. Itís full of content and for those that do like it, plenty to do to 100% it.
  • Rhaegyr 23 Feb 2021 10:21:43 5,356 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Close to abandoning a few;

Dishonored 2: Everything about this game should appeal to me (art, atmosphere, choice, sound) but it's leaving me cold like the first one. My preference for these games is stealth/blink but I feel like I'm missing most of the game this way and it's not really fun.

Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair: Better than the previous title but the 'sticky' controls and lack of precision are really hurting this one with it being a platformer. Shame as the overworld is really nice and stuffed with secrets.

Wreckfest: I'd heard great things about this being a successor to Destruction Derby but the Career mode and races just seem so dull. I've only put a couple of hours into it so I'll stick with it a bit more.
  • Wayne 23 Feb 2021 10:30:39 2,526 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Rhaegyr I abandoned the first Dishnonoured game back when I played it. I just found it soooo slow and tedious. Then I seen someone else play the game. Myself and this other person are playing two very very different games. This kind of blew my mind.

• JoeBlade 23 Feb 2021 10:42:00 5,865 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    If you play DH as a pure stealth game you're missing out on a lot of fun. It really ought to be labelled 'assassination game' rather than 'stealth game'.
    Disposing of enemies in creative ways is where it really shines. Attaching a razor wire to a rat, mind controlling the thing and having it run into enemies in the next room is a thing of magnificence.
  • Rhaegyr 23 Feb 2021 10:46:01 5,356 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    In all honesty I don't want to play it as a purely stealth game but I seem to remember that "high chaos = bad ending" from the first title so I'm trying to be as sneaky/non-lethal as possible.
  • JoeBlade 23 Feb 2021 10:57:15 5,865 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Rhaegyr wrote:
    In all honesty I don't want to play it as a purely stealth game but I seem to remember that "high chaos = bad ending" from the first title so I'm trying to be as sneaky/non-lethal as possible.
    See, if there's anything I would consider a bad design decision about DH it's this. Arkane are basically encouraging players to miss out on the most fun aspects of the game with the whole chaos idea.
  • Armoured_Bear 23 Feb 2021 11:09:18 29,798 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm not long into Dishonored 2 and like stealthy, what's the best way to play to combine fun, stealth and good ending?
  • wuntyate 23 Feb 2021 11:16:22 16,533 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It depends how much you enjoy stealth to be honest. I came to Dishonored with the Thief mindset. Get in, get out, don't get spotted. I enjoy just sitting somewhere high up watching guard patrols and looking for sneaky ways to get in somewhere, so my no kill runs through most games were perfect. I didn't feel I missed out because I wanted to play them like that. Funnily enough with each game, after completion, I have tried going down the more violent confrontational route and binned it off very early on.

One highlight of Dishonored 2 of course was playing as Corvo by way of Garrett.
  • SolidSCB 23 Feb 2021 11:20:17 14,913 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Division 2

Will almost certainly come back to this. This one's on me really, I'm knee deep in Destiny at the moment and somehow decided this would be a good idea to play alongside. Feels so clunky to move around, and I pretty much noped the fuck out as soon as I started stumbling on bits of collectible lore every ten fucking steps.

Gunplay seems tight though so I'll definitely have another pop when I've got less on my plate.
  • GumboVariations 23 Feb 2021 14:32:55 187 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    @Rhaegyr Wreckfest is a joyless grind, get out while it's still early doors.

It's also a game at odds with itself - you're tasked with (mostly) trying to win races, yet if you try to engage in any wrecking shenanigans you're never going to win those races.

You can see why some sort of rubber banding/catch up mechanics are essential for arcade racers. If you so much as slip up once, there's no point in trying to catch up, because you can't. It's like they took all the fun and defining aspects of arcade racers and threw them in the bin.

And getting taken out on the last lap of a ten lap race by a straggler going through a junction is infuriating.
  • Rhaegyr 23 Feb 2021 16:21:10 5,356 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Damn, that's disappointing.

No fun to be had in multiplayer without unlocking cars in single player?
  • Darth_Flibble 23 Feb 2021 16:27:03 4,927 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    rubber banding is never done well in racers, its always on the side of the AI and its always the one in position 1
  • muddyyfunster 23 Feb 2021 16:27:51 911 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    wuntyate wrote:
    It depends how much you enjoy stealth to be honest. I came to Dishonored with the Thief mindset. Get in, get out, don't get spotted. I enjoy just sitting somewhere high up watching guard patrols and looking for sneaky ways to get in somewhere, so my no kill runs through most games were perfect. I didn't feel I missed out because I wanted to play them like that. Funnily enough with each game, after completion, I have tried going down the more violent confrontational route and binned it off very early on.

One highlight of Dishonored 2 of course was playing as Corvo by way of Garrett.
    See this is making me want to go back and try Dishonoured again. I loved Thief 2 and that playstyle is also my go-to (even tried it semi-successfully in Cyberpunk). What you described is what I was trying to do and not really enjoying. Maybe I didn't give it enough time.
  • JamboWayOh 23 Feb 2021 18:51:24 22,927 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Darth_Flibble wrote:
    rubber banding is never done well in racers, its always on the side of the AI and its always the one in position 1
    I found it worked well with Burnout 3 as it's the kind of game that needs rubber banding to keep you in the mix with the other opponents
  • addybV3 23 Feb 2021 19:00:42 104 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    Wreckfest is good fun. Burnout 3 was crazy good as well. I wish we got a new one. Alas will never happen.
  • JamboWayOh 23 Feb 2021 20:51:01 22,927 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    addybV3 wrote:
    Wreckfest is good fun. Burnout 3 was crazy good as well. I wish we got a new one. Alas will never happen.
    Controversial opinion: I was never a fan of Burnout Paradise, I like having a game with clear progression and different locales and the open world format just kinda killed the fun for me that individually crafted levels can bring. Also I found that colliding with opponents lacked that impact that Burnout 3 had. It just felt off.
  • DrStrangelove 23 Feb 2021 21:39:03 15,427 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @JamboWayOh

I'm with you, I didn't like Paradise at all. Loved 2 and 3. I'm not sure which I liked more, 3 had that crash-heavy action but 2 was great too with its more "innocent" pure racing, like Ridge Racer on coke. Paradise however just turned me off, that open world nonsense did nothing for me.

Edited by DrStrangelove at 21:43:30 23-02-2021
  • UncleLou Moderator 24 Feb 2021 07:31:34 40,346 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Same here. Paradise might be a good arcade racer, but it was a lousy Burnout game.

Was it actually the last Burnout?
  • QuickWithKnives 24 Feb 2021 07:35:47 126 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    UncleLou wrote:
    Same here. Paradise might be a good arcade racer, but it was a lousy Burnout game.

Was it actually the last Burnout?
    I think it was, which probably means something!

I actually enjoyed it, but had only played B3 before, so hadnít really come from a history of the ďrealĒ game.

Come to think of it, the thing I liked most was probably a couple of new pieces of music it uncovered for me.

I got pretty sick of hearing Paradise City, though!
  • JoelStinty 24 Feb 2021 07:46:50 9,274 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I really liked burnout Paradise but it did take me two attempts to gel with it. Think I brought it on release and ended up trading it in as it didnít click but rebrought it (perhaps an updated version with dlc etc?) later down the line and really fell for it. Weird how games can do that.
  • addybV3 24 Feb 2021 08:12:10 104 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    @JamboWayOh

Likewise. I do need to revisit paradise and see if i can get into it. Always preferred the more focused level structure.

Edited by addybV3 at 08:12:24 24-02-2021
  • monkman76 24 Feb 2021 09:36:31 18,034 posts
    Seen 54 seconds ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'd never played a Burnout game and I thought Paradise was amazing. Way ahead of its time.
  • monsieur-Cosmo 24 Feb 2021 09:45:45 640 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I've played 2, 3, the PSP ones and Paradise and of course "east, west, Paradise is best". Actually been replaying it these days. It's pure fun.

Edited by monsieur-Cosmo at 09:45:58 24-02-2021
  • Darth_Flibble 24 Feb 2021 09:55:34 4,927 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Burnout 2 was the best as it was focused more on racing and the takedown. The next games were good but EA started to milk the burnout games.

The open world of paradise was not as fun as the linear race levels of past games and it was annoying if you wanted to retry a race until they patched it. (the studio head was a complete arsehat about feedback about the demo, complete man child)

Shame what happened to the studio, they made the best NFS game in ages (then made the awful most wanted 2012(?) I think they didn't have long to make that one. EA kept on focusing on the awful NFS games with the shitty ghost games taking over. I think I read EA is restaffing the Criterion Games but the staff have mostly moved on
  • Dombat 24 Feb 2021 10:13:05 1,900 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's a shame about the lack of arcade racer studios in general these days. Too many have been bought out and laid staff off or changed genre, or just closed entirely. The Codemasters buyout is worrying, although their recent output towards the arcade side of things hasn't been good anyway.

I'd love another good racing game in the vein of Motorstorm.
  • jonathanlealand 24 Feb 2021 22:35:45 143 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Borderlands 2 PSVR

Picked this up as a response to my disappointment in BL3s story but... holy shit the gunplay sucks. I put hundreds of hours into BL3 on PS3 and looked forward to reliving the glory days in VR but itís just amazing how far things have come in ten years.

The series is now stuck in a weird limbo for me. 2 remins the high point in tone and story but the gunplay feel unplayably clunky. 3 plays like a dream but the characters and story are really grating.

Basically I wish they would just take the feel of 3 and hire the writers of TFTBorderlands and create the best of both worlds in a BL4.
  • DrStrangelove 25 Feb 2021 00:02:29 15,427 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'd be very fine with the "narrative" parts of BL2 but yeah, the gunplay feels so fucking shitty now. BL3 could be great gameplay wise if the "updates" hadn't dumbed it down beyond recognition. I treasure the Mayhem 4 days when BL3 was good fun and even provided a little challenge. But those days are gone I guess. I invested so much time in BL3 when it was worth it, but in its current state I just can't be arsed anymore.
  • Anthony_UK 25 Feb 2021 00:39:10 3,060 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Rhaegyr wrote:
    Damn, that's disappointing.

No fun to be had in multiplayer without unlocking cars in single player?
    It gives you a number of cars in each class to play with in multiplayer that can't be upgraded, alot of people are just using these. That said, having an upgraded car does give an advantage.

The online races are class based, If you want to dip your toe in it'll take you 30mins in single player to upgrade a C class or starter level car to the max, but it isn't needed to give it try and have fun.

Disagree with the game being at odds, like real banger racing it is still a race... Just full contact is allowed. Tactics like tapping back ends, ramming, even slight nudges are fair game and on the tricker tracks can cause a domino effect of chaos.

Edited by Anthony_UK at 00:40:13 25-02-2021
  • Chug666 25 Feb 2021 09:01:38 746 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I enjoyed Wreckfest enough to finish it- mainly focussed on upgrades to go fast rather than smash stuff and I thought the races were way better than the arena challenges. My volvo estate was ace.

Totally agree that the lack of arcade racers sucks. Split Second Velocity was a high point for me, pretty much the only thing I ever boot up my X360 to play, it deserves a sequel!
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.